shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions/advice regarding a Padparadscha Sapphire.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to Pricescope, I recently discovered the amazing Pad Sapphires, and I’m hooked. I’m getting married in 5 months, and one of the major motifs/themes of the wedding is Lotuses (they are my favorite). I have lotus designs on the invitations, made origami lotuses for decorations, and even had lotuses embroidered on my dress! And I would LOVE to have a “Lotus” sapphire ring made to wear for my wedding, I think it’d be really fitting

I don’t know much about buying gemstones (I merely admire), and was hoping to get some help and insight from the lovely and knowledgeable people of Pricescope. I only have a budget of about 800$ for the stone, and am looking for a delicate pad sapphire preferably around 1 ct. I’m not looking for the “perfect” specimen; in fact, I’m hoping to find a stone that’s kind of pale and soft and not so vivid. I just want a pretty peachy-pink color and some personality and sparkle. I don’t mind if it’s heat treated, but I do want a round, oval, or cushion cut.
The only ones I’ve found so far are from the Natural Sapphire Company, and was wondering if I might get some opinions on them?

1. Pad1
2. Pad2

I really like the first one because I like that the color’s a little uneven (like I said, I’m not looking for textbook perfection, I like unique) and that it looks really soft. I think the second one is nice too, but seems a little bit too purple to me (or is it just my monitor)? Do you guys think these are fairly priced?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and help me out! I really hope I can make this happen in time for the wedding, I guess we’ll see!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 1st pad is really pale but if you like it, then get what you like. As for getting the most out of your budget, I''d get a heated pad. NSC sells only unheated sapphires though.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, #2 is heated. I guess they''ve expanded their inventory policies, lol.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn''t catch that about pad 2 being heated. Thanks for pointing it out. Personally, I prefer pad 2 but if you don''t like it, you shouldn''t get it.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Will they be able to shoot you a video? NSC does carry heated pads. Does it have to be a pad, or can it be pad colored?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 10:48:10 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Will they be able to shoot you a video? NSC does carry heated pads. Does it have to be a pad, or can it be pad colored?

I don''t think I''d object to pad colored, but I looked at some tourmalines and they just don''t seem to have the same delicate orange-pinkness, lol. And I like that the stone''s colors shift as you turn them, although I don''t know if that''s unique to the pads or not.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Makingthegrade,

I have bought many Pad Sapphires from NSC. Steven Bliss is wonderful to work with and he will send the sapphires out for you to inspect.

Pad number 2, I do not like the color. It looks like it has lavender color to it and lavender is not a pad color. It may be just the video itself, so if you are really interested, the best thing would be to talk to Steven about it.

Linda

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 11:26:45 PM
Author: Linda W
Hi Makingthegrade,

I have bought many Pad Sapphires from NSC. Steven Bliss is wonderful to work with and he will send the sapphires out for you to inspect.

Pad number 2, I do not like the color. It looks like it has lavender color to it and lavender is not a pad color. It may be just the video itself, so if you are really interested, the best thing would be to talk to Steven about it.

Linda

I saw all your pad entries while searching pricescope, you must have quite the collection of stones and knowledge by now! :) Any thoughts about #1?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 11:28:34 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade

Hi Makingthegrade,

Linda

I saw all your pad entries while searching pricescope, you must have quite the collection of stones and knowledge by now! :) Any thoughts about #1?

Thank you
9.gif
, but believe me I am no expert. I couldn''t even begin to tell you about that stone, because it is a horrible picture. It looks very brilliant and no window. If you like it, I would ask Steven to ship it to you. You could inspect it and post pictures of it to us. They used to take excellent pictures, I don''t know why they changed their policy.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 11:32:56 PM

Hi Makingthegrade,

Linda

Thank you
9.gif
, but believe me I am no expert. I couldn't even begin to tell you about that stone, because it is a horrible picture. It looks very brilliant and no window. If you like it, I would ask Steven to ship it to you. You could inspect it and post pictures of it to us. They used to take excellent pictures, I don't know why they changed their policy.

Pardon my ignorance, but what makes it a bad picture? It looks like a normal one to me? lol...
So to inspect the stones, you just pay the 60$ shipping costs? Hmmmm...I'm actually a 10$ ticket away from NYC, maybe I should see if I can just go in person :)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 11:38:21 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but what makes it a bad picture? It looks like a normal one to me? lol...
So to inspect the stones, you just pay the 60$ shipping costs? Hmmmm...I''m actually a 10$ ticket away from NYC, maybe I should see if I can just go in person :)
That would be my suggestion. I only saw two pads and the shipping added up. I was up to $100.
14.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2009 11:38:21 PM
Date: 3/5/2009 11:32:56 PM

Hi Makingthegrade,

Linda

Thank you
9.gif
, but believe me I am no expert. I couldn''t even begin to tell you about that stone, because it is a horrible picture. It looks very brilliant and no window. If you like it, I would ask Steven to ship it to you. You could inspect it and post pictures of it to us. They used to take excellent pictures, I don''t know why they changed their policy.

So to inspect the stones, you just pay the 60$ shipping costs? Hmmmm...I''m actually a 10$ ticket away from NYC, maybe I should see if I can just go in person :)

There used to be a good clear picture of the stone. Not some cheesey looking picture. Look at my Avatar and my past photos, that is what I am talking about. Some of the pictures they show now are nice, others aren''t so nice.

Your best bet would be to go look at them in person, being you live so close.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I sent them an email :) Hopefully I can go see them in person and take a gander at NYC while I''m at it! Yay!

I found some other websites that claimed to be selling pads, but their websites looked really shady...so far NSC seems the only one legit enough for me to feel comfortable with.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you mind sharing which other websites you found??? Maybe we are familiar with them and we can help you.

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
If you are expecting color like you''ve seen from TL''s new pad, you will be sorely disappointed by those two stones.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think she already knows that Shaun.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2009 12:05:13 AM
Author: shaunrice
If you are expecting color like you've seen from TL's new pad, you will be sorely disappointed by those two stones.

Who is TL? And I'm not expecting extraordinary, I'm realistic about how expensive quality pad sapphires are :) I'm just looking for something pretty that has a personality that I like :) I have no idea if the stones and I will click in person, if not then I'll just start the search anew!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 12:13:27 AM
Date: 3/6/2009 12:05:13 AM

Author: shaunrice

If you are expecting color like you''ve seen from TL''s new pad, you will be sorely disappointed by those two stones.

Who is TL? And I''m not expecting extraordinary, I''m realistic about how expensive quality pad sapphires are :) I''m just looking for something pretty that has a personality that I like :) I have no idea if the stones and I will click in person, if not then I''ll just start the search anew!

I do hope you find your special Pad. They are so beautiful and you can just sit and stare at them all day.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! If I don''t, I might consider a tourmaline or a malaya garnet (Garnets are my birthstone after all). It''s so hard to tell from photos the difference between these 3 gems when they''re all around the same color, haha, it must take a better eye than mine! Unfortunately I also don''t know where to buy quality Malayas/tourmalines, eek! I''m such a noob, lol.

If I can afford to buy a pad I like though, I''ll definitely go for it!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just let us know what you need and we can recommend vendors for you. There are also vendors, who can custom cut a stone for you. Unfortunately, none that can custom cut a pad. I have asked. Ha.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooo...I think a pad would be lovely for your dress!!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2009 12:29:35 AM
Just let us know what you need and we can recommend vendors for you. There are also vendors, who can custom cut a stone for you. Unfortunately, none that can custom cut a pad. I have asked. Ha.

See, I knew I turned to the right people for help!
I''ve been searching online, but have yet to really find a Malaya or Tourmaline that''s a "lotus" shade of orangey-pink, most of the tourmalines tend to be either hot pink or watermelon pink and the malaya''s either are too red or too gold :/ Hmmm... The search continues!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You should email Barry Bridgestock of Artistic Colored Stones and see if he has any Malaya rough that comes close. He''s had some gorgeous Malayas lately. And his cutting is top notch.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 12:38:05 AM
Author: FrekeChild
You should email Barry Bridgestock of Artistic Colored Stones and see if he has any Malaya rough that comes close. He''s had some gorgeous Malayas lately. And his cutting is top notch.
I vote Malaya too. For 800, it might be hard to find a pad in the color you are looking for. Plus with all the treatments out there, I''d want to cert it because even though 800 bucks isn''t a fortune, it isn''t chump change either.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should email Barry Bridgestock of Artistic Colored Stones and see if he has any Malaya rough that comes close. He's had some gorgeous Malayas lately. And his cutting is top notch.

Hmm...how much time does that kind of process take? The wedding is in 5 months. If I can't get the ring made by then, I might just wait it out and save up for a pricier pad for a 5 year anniversary thing or something.

And this is totally unrelated, but I thought I'd post a picture of the lotuses on my wedding dress that I thought the ring would look nice with. The embroidery was done by hand, and the layering is lovely I think. I have a serious lotus obsession, hehe.

lotusdetails.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 12:45:02 AM

Hmm...how much time does that kind of process take? The wedding is in 5 months. If I can''t get the ring made by then, I might just wait it out and save up for a pricier pad for a 5 year anniversary thing or something.

And this is totally unrelated, but I thought I''d post a picture of the lotuses on my wedding dress that I thought the ring would look nice with. The embroidery was done by hand, and the layering is lovely I think. I have a serious lotus obsession, hehe.
So are you looking for a bolder color? A paler pad won''t look anything like that lotus...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Um, the longest part of the process is finding the right rough. Barry can cut a stone in a few hours. So you would be fine. As soon as the rough was found it could be done in a week (if the ring wasn''t custom) with time to spare. So I think you have plenty of time.

Here is a few pics of Tourmaline_Lover''s Malaya, which I adore. my fave pic of it is on page 3 towards the bottom. Not quite Pad-alicious, but decent...and I think it was only a few hundred. Much easier on the pocketbook.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
TL''s is gorgeous. I love Coati''s too.

And I think Shaun may have been referring to my pad (calling me TL instead of TG) because as far as I know, TL doesn''t own a pad.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
T-Gal that is gorgeous and it looks just like a Pad too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results