shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions/advice regarding a Padparadscha Sapphire.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Allison, I''m so jealous!! That looks gorgeous!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I stumbled across this 1.5 ct Malay garnet, I might get it since it''s only 60$ and I do like the color.
The human eye is surprisingly bad at judging absolute color, it''s always recommended to have something standardized to compare to. I might just get the malay just so I can bring it when I go to NSC so I can see what the differences are! :)

b_zmg108as.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
The color looks really pretty.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2009 3:38:18 PM
Author: Linda W

You know, the more I''m browsing through stones and different colors, I''m really finding that I like the lighter colors better, lol.

Like I think this is an ideal color!

pad0865-1.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 4:47:48 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Date: 3/6/2009 3:38:18 PM

You know, the more I''m browsing through stones and different colors, I''m really finding that I like the lighter colors better, lol.

Like I think this is an ideal color!

The color is nice, but it looks like it has a large window.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It might, I can''t tell. Although it''s from Wild Fish, and I hear they sell very quality stones.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah that has a sizeable window. Lovely color though.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 2:11:38 PM
Alj,

I found out a lot of jewelers aren''t familiar with pads. When I wore my rings into my jewelers, he had to actually look up what pads were, ha ha ha ha. On top of that, he didn''t even pronounce the name correctly.
Linda, I''d normally agree, but this guy HAS a $500K pad at his store!!!!!!, so he''s familiar with them. He said mine wasn''t ''pink'' enough. Of course, this is the same guy who keeps telling my friend that she has to go higher than J on her e-ring. I think he''s just a bit of a color snob.
2.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 6:53:56 PM
Author: Allison D.
Date: 3/6/2009 2:11:38 PM

Alj,

I found out a lot of jewelers aren''t familiar with pads. When I wore my rings into my jewelers, he had to actually look up what pads were, ha ha ha ha. On top of that, he didn''t even pronounce the name correctly.

Linda, I''d normally agree, but this guy HAS a $500K pad at his store!!!!!!, so he''s familiar with them. He said mine wasn''t ''pink'' enough. Of course, this is the same guy who keeps telling my friend that she has to go higher than J on her e-ring. I think he''s just a bit of a color snob.
2.gif

You know, if he weren''t so willing to show us the Pad and clean our rings regularly I''d be tempted to say I didn''t like that man!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
This one is decent, they should have put pic #2 as the first one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAGICAL-CUSHION-HOT-PINK-BURMA-SPINEL-55ct-99c-NR_W0QQitemZ260369402277QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item260369402277&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1326|66%3A4|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A200

The color on this is nice but the cut is-Meh...
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-30ct-rare-VVS-orange-spinel_W0QQitemZ260371864483QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item260371864483&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1326|66%3A4|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A200

I think this one would be fantastic with your dress...
http://cgi.ebay.com/0-6ct-VVS-Round-Natural-Unheated-Rose-Red-SPINEL-NR_W0QQitemZ250380076969QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item250380076969&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1326|66%3A4|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A200

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Wildfish pear has a pleasant light colour but I agree that it appears to have a good sized window. Yes, he sells quality stones but quality differs from person to person. His stones are not precision cut but then again, most people look for colour first and foremost. I can''t handle a window that size, so I would pass on it.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Just in case MTG doesen''t understand what a window is; go here

http://www.collectorfinejewelry.com/quality_4cs.htm

and scroll down to Cut (or you can read it all if it interests you). It even shows photos with examples of stones, with and without a window.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
This one is a darker...

526spr-1.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks again!

I know what a window is, but I admit I can't spot them well from photos, I really can only tell in pictures. Mostly because I so rarely buy expensive gems online.

And Mochi, thanks for those links! I'll definitely keep an eye on their inventory!
I REALLY love the color in this ring (but the setting's a bit too heavy for me)
http://www.colorsymphony.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=388

HudsonHawk, I really do like the color of that second link, it's lovely even if the cut is meh :) Thanks!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you guys think about this one? It might be a winner :) The sapphire is 1.03ct from NSC, not heated.

possiblewinners.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Color and outline are nice, and the cut also looks decent for a pad. Mochi''s #2 is also very nice.

BTW, if you plan on setting the stone in white metal (can''t remember if you stated a metal choice and I don''t feel like searching right now
2.gif
), you can afford to get one that''s more orange than pink, cause orange will get toned down in WG/PLAT, and rose will probably get more pronounced than it would in YG.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2009 12:07:52 PM
Author: ma re
Color and outline are nice, and the cut also looks decent for a pad. Mochi''s #2 is also very nice.

BTW, if you plan on setting the stone in white metal (can''t remember if you stated a metal choice and I don''t feel like searching right now
2.gif
), you can afford to get one that''s more orange than pink, cause orange will get toned down in WG/PLAT, and rose will probably get more pronounced than it would in YG.

Thanks for the advice :) What if I chose rose gold? I currently have no rose gold pieces, but they look lovely and I think might complement the pink in the stone?

Also, I emailed the jeweler who was selling that one pad ring which I thought had nice color, but the setting was too bulky. She said she''d be willing to reset the stone into something more my style, here''s the pics of the stone she had online. It''s only .7ct, but I think the color is pretty :) She has yet to give me a price quote though, so we''ll see if it''s in budget or not. P.S. I bought the spinel from ebay that Hudson Hawk linked me too, the color really did look lovely, I"ll let you know how it looks in real life when it gets here!

colorsymphpad.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s pretty (the ring from NSC) but those prongs...

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2009 8:28:25 PM
Author: FrekeChild
It''s pretty (the ring from NSC) but those prongs...

The prongs?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
They''re a little bulky.

So which spinel was it???

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2009 8:52:00 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
They''re a little bulky.

So which spinel was it???

Ohh...ok. Yeah, I agree the prongs are bulky, I would have the stone reset anyways.
And I bought the 2nd one you linked me, the one with the "med" cut but nice color. The seller had a 100% rating and it was only l8$ so I thought I''d buy it since I liked the color :)

spinel

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice! I really liked that one too.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I'm currently working with the jeweler who owned the ring/pad that I showed in my last posted photo. She is absolutely delightful to work with, and has been really great. Anyways, she emailed me some settings that would fit into my budget with the pad, and since I'm bored (and excited to be actively working on a ring) I made a photoshop of what it might look like in the end :) The price tag would be around 1150 which is 150 more than I was planning on spending, but it would break the bank. Any thoughts? I actually don't like the little pave diamonds along the band (not a fan of lots of little diamonds because I'd be OCD cleaning them all the time...)

Although I'm holding off final decisions until I go visit the NSC in new york since 1)I do want to see their collection of pads and 2)I might find something more fitting there (although I think the color in this stone looks beautiful even if it is a little more intense than I wanted). I emailed them to see if I could come in on monday, but that may be a bit short notice, hehe, so the trip may have to wait until the middle of the week (arg! I hate waiting!). Linda, I'd take pics of the NSC for you, but something tells me I won't be allowed to :razz:

ringsettingwhitegoldwithstone.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This site also seems to sell many pads...but I''ve never heard of them before?
http://www.planetarygems.com/rare_gems.htm

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This one (from http://www.planetarygems.com/rare_gems.htm) actually kind of reminded me a lot of linda's avatar color :razz: (no offense linda, I know your pad is MUCH prettier!)

But yeah, I feel like their prices are too good to be true...makes me suspicious. Also, they seem to be catering their gems for astrological purposes...which is kind of odd for a gem company.

padpa 1.74 cts. CU no heat TUC09.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2009 8:18:09 PM

Date: 3/7/2009 12:07:52 PM
Author: ma re

2.gif
Thanks for the advice :) What if I chose rose gold? I currently have no rose gold pieces, but they look lovely and I think might complement the pink in the stone?
It would have a similar effect on the stone''s colors as white, but would make them a little warmer and possibly richer, so IMO it''s an even better choice. Of course, you shouldn''t get a stone that''s too pink (where orange is barely noticable), as RG will make it...all pink. Also keep in mind, that if your whole setting is RG, that might make the stone "disappear in pinkness" i.e. get lost visually. You do need some contrast in the ring regardless of color choices. BTW, what''s your ring style preference - modern, traditional, antique, simple, ornated, high contrast, low contrast, bold, delicate...? Just some food for thought
9.gif
BTW, take a good look at your hands and fingers to make sure the design compliments their shape and size, cause you don''t want the ring just looking nice in a box, but on your hand too.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Mr. Ma Re! You''ve been so helpful :)
I can''t really see it in person, so I might just default with white gold, and change it in the future if I think the color of the stone would do well in rose gold :) All my other jewelry is white gold anyways.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2009 11:05:21 PM
This one (from http://www.planetarygems.com/rare_gems.htm) actually kind of reminded me a lot of linda''s avatar color :razz: (no offense linda, I know your pad is MUCH prettier!)

But yeah, I feel like their prices are too good to be true...makes me suspicious. Also, they seem to be catering their gems for astrological purposes...which is kind of odd for a gem company.

This stone is so pretty. I wish I had $1300 laying around....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results