shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions/advice regarding a Padparadscha Sapphire.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/7/2009 11:05:21 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
This one (from http://www.planetarygems.com/rare_gems.htm) actually kind of reminded me a lot of linda''s avatar color :razz: (no offense linda, I know your pad is MUCH prettier!)

But yeah, I feel like their prices are too good to be true...makes me suspicious. Also, they seem to be catering their gems for astrological purposes...which is kind of odd for a gem company.
That picture looks really good - nice mix of pink and orange, even with that small window. Since it''s cheap for a pad, I''d be suspicious too. What''s more, it''s not really a true gemstone site but one for astrological purposes, as mentioned earlier.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I contacted James Mayer about redoing my pad, he suggested always going with white gold. He said it brought out the colors of the pad best, instead of yellow gold. Now that was just his opinion on my pad. It may be different for each individual.

Steven Bliss of NSC, told me the same thing for all of my pads, he suggests white gold. White gold makes the colors of the pad pop more.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2009 3:57:47 PM
Author: Linda W
When I contacted James Mayer about redoing my pad, he suggested always going with white gold. He said it brought out the colors of the pad best, instead of yellow gold. Now that was just his opinion on my pad. It may be different for each individual.

Steven Bliss of NSC, told me the same thing for all of my pads, he suggests white gold. White gold makes the colors of the pad pop more.

Thanks! That makes me feel much more at ease about going ahead with the white gold :) I''m planning my trip to NSC for this week, although I''m starting to really fall in love with the one that Jill has :) I''m in the middle of debating between two white gold settings if I do end up going with her (and I probably will since she''s been so great, and the color of the pad seems so lovely even if it is a bit on the small side). I wish I could bring you guys with me! I literally couldn''t have gotten this far without everyone''s help :) Thanks again!

Here''s a pic of the two mounts I''m debating between as of now (she may have more up her sleeve, who knows). The first is 14KWG diamond semi-mount 0.36 carats total weight (ctw) in diamonds that are SI2 G rated. The 2nd is 14KWG diamond semi-mount 0.60 ctw SI1 F. I think they''d both be great, their both around 1150$ (for the completed ring with the pad) which seems reasonable (right?).

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgot to attach the pic, d''oh.

theringoptionsinarow.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I love that first one with the pears and millgraining; it''s really striking.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the pad pops more in the second setting.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the first one too.
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 5:33:25 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
I think the pad pops more in the second setting.

OH HH, I think you are right. I just sat here and really looked at them. Yep, I agree.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the first setting more in general, so I''d pick that...and I would only do white gold with a Pad too.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys!

So I realized that this pad is heat treated, which is kind of disappointing, although it''s still pretty. It just makes me less ga-ga I suppose. We shall see what NSC has to offer in a few days :)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 5:52:20 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Thanks guys!

So I realized that this pad is heat treated, which is kind of disappointing, although it''s still pretty. It just makes me less ga-ga I suppose. We shall see what NSC has to offer in a few days :)
MTG, I thought you said you didn''t mind heat treatment?

Something''s gotta give...IMHO, you can''t have a unheated, 1c padparadscha in the color you seem to be leaning toward for $800 bucks.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 2:54:47 AM
Author: TravelingGal
Way lighter tone. 1.21 for under $500, with no treatment. There''s a video on the link below. My personal opinion? Why even bother for a pad like this unless you are looking for something specifically that light. Looks like a white stone that another pad p*ssed on.
20.gif

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Padparadscha/Oval/stoneid=PA91
LMAO!!! But really, ditto. Not worth it in my opinion. I wouldn''t dismiss heat treatment, unless you want a really tiny pad or you want to at least double your budget.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Regarding the settings, they''re both nice in their own ways, but completely different styles, so it''s all down to what you like better. The first one is more "flowy" and ornated, while the second one (my choice) is more simple and more classic. It also has a more vertical arrangement, while that of the first one is more horizontal (that''s what I mean by "flowy"). So it''s up to your personal taste, what you think would suit you better and combine with your wardrobe etc.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 2:54:47 AM
Way lighter tone. 1.21 for under $500, with no treatment. There's a video on the link below. My personal opinion? Why even bother for a pad like this unless you are looking for something specifically that light. Looks like a white stone that another pad p*ssed on.
20.gif

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Padparadscha/Oval/stoneid=PA91

HAHA, you are too funny.

Just to clarify, heat treatment definitely isn't a deal breaker. I was just a little sad because I originally THOUGHT that it wasn't which made it seem so perfect. It's still lovely in my opinion, and definitely still a contender :)

Thanks for all the links! I don't know if a lot of 7's is good luck or not... I'll keep those stones in mind though when I visit NSC. I feel like cameras don't generally capture the same things the eye can.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! I made an appointment with the Natural Sapphire Company on Wednesday afternoon!

SO SO SO EXCITED!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2009 11:18:05 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 3/9/2009 2:43:40 AM
OK, what about this NSC one?

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Padparadscha/Cushion/stoneid=PA2078

.77 and unheated...$770 for the stone. That''s a lotta 7''s...is that lucky?
2.gif
This one is a bit too brown for my taste, and reminds me of a garnet.
I agree it looks brown, but since some of the other stones (not pads) have brown in them, she might be able to get a similar color and have it still be a pad.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks tgal and all for your opinions and links!
I''m very new to the world of gemstones so I appreciate the guidance. What do you think about the small pad that I might get reset? (The stone in the fake photoshop pics). I know the pictures aren''t great, but I thought I might your opinion on the color :) Thanks again!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m thinking IRL it may look a bit more brown? I''d have to see better photos to see, but pads are hard to photograph for sure.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 12:57:33 PM
I''m thinking IRL it may look a bit more brown? I''d have to see better photos to see, but pads are hard to photograph for sure.
Sorry I''m relatively new to pricescope, what''s IRL?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IRL - "in real life."

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/9/2009 4:28:29 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
IRL - ''in real life.''
Thanks! Yeah, it makes me nervous buying something I haven''t seen in person..
Only 24hours until my visit to NSC!!! So excited...I hate waiting...it''s the WORST part
7.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They''ll let you take pictures, right? Just a few more hours to go.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results