shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions/advice regarding a Padparadscha Sapphire.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
That tourm is gorgeous TGal!!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TGal,
Oh, no I"m not trying to match the lotuses on my dress in color :) They were actually supposed to be a pale orange-pink, but the dressmaker made an executive decision that they'd look better in bolder colors, haha. Luckily for him I thought it still looked lovely and so I didn't kill him for it, haha.

And thanks for all the suggestions! I actually saw that Tourmaline, wasn't sure if it was large enough to be a solitaire ring, and I also didn't know how included "moderately included" is since I don't really have much experience with colored gem stones. It's definitely on my "to be considered" list though! Thanks!

I also found this, but I think it's too pink-pink...
http://www.loosefacetedgemstones.net/servlet/the-42/pink-tourmaline%2C-tourmaline/Detail

And of course, there's ALWAYS ebay, but I don't think I'm comfortable buying online...it's pretty though I think:
ebay

and (this one isn't in budget, but pretty!)
ebay2

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
That dress is unbelievable!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2009 2:49:37 AM
Author: shaunrice

Thanks, that's really sweet of you! (I'm assuming that was a compliment, and not that you think it's unbelievably hideous, lol). I had a post about the minor fitting issues I'm having with it, and there were more pics of the whole dress there.
Link

The dress maker gave me a hard time about the design and the lotuses, but I brow beat him into it, lol. You can see why I might be intrigued by the pad sapphires given how much I adore lotuses :) A gem named after my favorite flower? Obviously meant to be!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What shape are you partial to?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2009 3:04:11 AM
Author: FrekeChild
What shape are you partial to?

I mostly like rounds, but I''m ok with pears and ovals and oval-ish cushions. I don''t know why, but I don''t really like princess/radiants/bars etc.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, so no sharp corners? Cool. I''ll keep on the lookout!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The last link looks really pretty!
I don't know if it's the photo styles or the stones themselves, but tourmalines just don't seem to have the same soft glow that the pad sapphires do...or has my staying up so late made me bonkers?

And I'm pretty sure there's no way this ebay one is real, but I'm tempted to buy it if it's not very expensive, just because I like the color, lol.
ebay

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2009 2:49:37 AM
Author: shaunrice

Haha, I just saw the pics of your colored stone collections. Now THAT is unbelievable! I actually have no clue what to do with the dress after I'm done with it. I'm not the type to keep something around that I never plan to wear again.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, that pad on ebay is a really pretty color.

I don't know what to tell you about the tourms being less...ethereal (yeah, I'm up late too) than the sapphires, its just something that comes with a stone species I guess. For me, nothing has that misty feel like a spinel with a hint of grey. (I have 6 spinels, and I adore the grey undertones). You might be able to find a spinel with a similar color to a pad, but again, the two stones have different qualities. A pad sapphire is going to be expensive though, so I think you're going to have to make a choice with just the color and price or saving up for a real pad.
40.gif

Don't you hate those gorgeous rare gems?!

ETA: What if you cut the bottom of the dress off and make it knee length?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
May I recommend you broaden your search to imperial topazes? They can be found in colors quite similar to pads, but are more scratch resistant than both, malayas and tourmalines (although not as hard as sapphires). You could also find some in nice quality for 800$/ct. Good cutters could probably source some nice rough without too much problems.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good call ma re. I was thinking that too...especially when I saw that tourm of Barry''s--in the description he said something about getting that rough as a cheaper alternative to the Imperials.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
MTG, Spinel may be another option woth checking out. Eric with Swala gem traders may be of some help.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eek...seems I have many possible options! I guess that''s a good thing, although it''s a bit overwhelming, lol.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know about the qualities of tourmaline and some of the other stones. But if I could find a pad colored spinel, I would buy it in a heartbeat (before I found my current pad of course). It seems like you have your heart set on a pad, and want a "classic" pad color, which may cost you a bit more.

As for the ebay one. It''s seems pretty. But it probably is Be diffused or possibly an outright synthetic. If that''s the case, it''d probably be worth 8 bucks not 80 (although don''t quote me on that).

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2009 12:04:05 PM
Author: TravelingGal
I don't know about the qualities of tourmaline and some of the other stones. But if I could find a pad colored spinel, I would buy it in a heartbeat (before I found my current pad of course). It seems like you have your heart set on a pad, and want a 'classic' pad color, which may cost you a bit more.

As for the ebay one. It's seems pretty. But it probably is Be diffused or possibly an outright synthetic. If that's the case, it'd probably be worth 8 bucks not 80 (although don't quote me on that).

Yeah, I think that since it's for the wedding, I'd prefer it to be a genuine pad, although I don't mind the color being lighter than usual. If I can't find a suitable one within budget before the wedding, I'll just hold off until I find a better one and have a bigger budget :) Speaking of which, what's a healthy budget for a 1 ct peachy-pink pad from a reputable place?

I'm pretty sure the ebay one is treated is some way or another, the seller lets you return it if it comes back as beryllium treated, even so, I doubt it's worth the effort, lol.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
MTG: For a 1 carat Pad, it will cost in the thousands. Your best bet, would be to contact Steven Bliss, or even Richard Wise. You most likely will have to settle for a small pad.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2009 12:44:42 PM
Author: Linda W
MTG: For a 1 carat Pad, it will cost in the thousands. Your best bet, would be to contact Steven Bliss, or even Richard Wise. You most likely will have to settle for a small pad.

That''s not surprising, lol, I guess I''ll just have to wait for my ten year anniversary then! I don''t really consider getting a small pad "settling", I just think of it as "starting" ;-)

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha ha ha ha. My first pad was a small one. I couldn''t settle for that either. After that one, I was completely hooked.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2009 1:27:59 PM
Ha ha ha ha. My first pad was a small one. I couldn''t settle for that either. After that one, I was completely hooked.
Well hopefully ten years down the road, I"ll have my perfect pad, and my perfectly imperfect little wedding pad and remember how the obsession it all started...haha.

I''m thinking of making a trip up to the NSC showroom next week, excited!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 1:39:45 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Date: 3/6/2009 1:27:59 PM

Well hopefully ten years down the road, I''ll have my perfect pad, and my perfectly imperfect little wedding pad and remember how the obsession it all started...haha.

I''m thinking of making a trip up to the NSC showroom next week, excited!

Oh if you do, please post about your experience. I would love to hear all about it.
36.gif
36.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
It may be less if you are looking at low heat treatment, but you will have to compromise on color a bit (might have brown in it).

Alj just got an pretty untreated pad for a good price (she posted it somewhere and her user name is now Allision D.). Maybe that these stone are gaining attention and popularity, more of our PS vendors will seek and cut them.

Also, depending on cut, I learned (I think from TL here) that sapphires usually face up smaller per carat. So something to keep in mind.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
duplicate

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 1:46:54 PM
Author: TravelingGal

Alj just got an pretty untreated pad for a good price (she posted it somewhere and her user name is now Allision D.). Maybe that these stone are gaining attention and popularity, more of our PS vendors will seek and cut them.
T-Gal's right; I just acquired a small pad from Finewater Gems; it was the first they'd ever offered. It was small - only .68, so it measures just about 5.2mm, but it was price-friendly at just under $500 for an untreated stone.

The inclusions show easily in the photos, but I have a hard time locating them in real life. The one JUST on the edge of the girdle is the one more easy to find, and that will likely be covered by a prong or bezel during setting.

Padparadscha%20collage.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
your Pad Alj.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Hehehe - thanks, Linda.

If you can believe it, I actually had a fine jeweler in Boston insist that it wasn''t a "pad" because it wasn''t pink enough, he said.
33.gif

In real life, it looks a bit less pink than it shows here - but the pink is DEFINITELY visible. I think it really IS the right blend of pink/orange, but whatever. I love the stone regardless, AND I think he''s all wet.
2.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Alj,

I found out a lot of jewelers aren''t familiar with pads. When I wore my rings into my jewelers, he had to actually look up what pads were, ha ha ha ha. On top of that, he didn''t even pronounce the name correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results