carat
color
clarity

=O= ACA 2.13 =O=

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2005 11:48:36 PM
Author: Mara
Hmmmm well doesn't LLL's ring sit flush with her w-band? I thought so.

If so, why couldn't they make the head like hers? It's 6 prong. It doesn't seem to sit that high at all. It looks alot more fluid and cupping the stone than the stiff prong look and her stone is 2.5c so it's even larger, meaning it's deeper.

Sorry to go on and on about it, if you are happy with it then just tell me to stuff it. I won't mind.
5.gif
But if you wanted something different, I think you should get it. From what you described, the ring doesn't sound like the same head. Unless I'm missing it. My two cents ....
1.gif

Anyway, I am so loving that stone. Such an excellent choice and sorry you aren't convincing anyone it looks like a 1c!!!
30.gif

they are saying that my head and LLL's are the same. i don't know.

i DO love the diamond though!!!! and those prong tips! i am in love with them. i was so scared they'd be huge stick-like things jutting out the sides. or like water droplets. but, no. they're perfect prongs tips!

and did i say i LOVE the diamond?? hehe
31.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
yes eagle-eyes, there''s a tiny gap. don''t know if dropping it that distance would do anything. i''m under the assumtion that it''s set that high because it''s a six prong setting pairing with a shared prong band.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
anothe pic of the gorgeous diamond!!!!!

i took it looking through the tool provided by whiteflash.

2inISring2.13.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/1/2005 11:58:24 PM
Author: Mara
also is it just me or does this thing i circled look like a space between the culet and the head bottom?

.... guess so from the picture too... but there is allot of metal under that culet from the base of the prongs coming together in a solid mass.

The style of setting looks great on half carat diamonds, but just increasing size with the same proportions ends up like this, like it or not.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is not the height of the prongs that 'clear the band' next to it - ou just do not need any element of the setting to potrude too much away from the ring's band at the height of the wedding band next to it. Assuming that is no more then 2mm high (up from the finger) that is not tall order - pun intended. It helps if the ring's band itself is not so skinny, but even so, this does not mean that the culet of the rng's diamond cannot sit a hair lower than 2mm from the finger.

E.g, the prongs of the Michael B. solitaires are flattened on the sides and twisted towards the ring's band to allow band to sit flush with the ring. This is not the sophisticated part of the designer's line that makes those rings expensive after all - just a clevel solution to have a reasonably low setting with the popular V prongs (i.e. without a bar between them).

At WF, one of the Lee rings seems to follow the same solution.

fasjewelry.JPG

greytmom

Rough_Rock
Congratulations!! I love the proposal story!!! Your ring is gorgeous!!! Good luck and much happiness!! Did you set a date yet?

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
val- the metal was my concern too, as well as the straight prongs. i hope i don''t offend anyone, but here''s the pic comparision. i understand her ring has a larger diamond and prehaps differnt ring size. i also understand that her band is not the same one i want.

headcomparelines.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
To me it looks like your prongs are more the the stadard prongs used in the Heavy Tiffany and LLL''s prongs are more simliar to theTiffany Knife Edge. I prefer the rounded prongs with the slight fluting, bu it is really a matter of taste. I imagine it would not be too much to have the head switched out on your ring.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
mat- great observation. they are saying mine is the same head as her''s.

LesleyH

Brilliant_Rock

I''m sorry I have not had the opportunity to re-enter this thread - working 16 hour days at this time of year

1.gif

Jcrow - from what I understand from our jeweler, the ring was constructed to maintain the integrity of the size of the diamond and allow for the future diamond band to sit completely flush and not rub against the prongs as you requested when we met a couple Sundays ago. I see that there is a photo in your order confirmation showing the picture of the head, and it is this one.

You may not have realized that it would end up looking like this, and that is OK. The solution is quite simple. Let''s get the ring back in here and see what we can do to alter the head so that it looks exactly the way you want it to and you can enjoy the WHOLE ring.
LesleyH
www.whiteflash.com

head.jpg

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/2/2005 10:24:03 AM
Author: jcrow
val- the metal was my concern too, as well as the straight prongs. i hope i don''t offend anyone, but here''s the pic comparision. i understand her ring has a larger diamond and prehaps differnt ring size. i also understand that her band is not the same one i want.
I think a few things are at play here.....

1) LLL''s head is more of a "buttercup" style instead of a standard 6-prong head. It has more fluid lines...and I think that''s the glaring difference.

2) Her ring was designed to fit flush next to a knife-edge pave band. That means the band will naturally sit lower (because there are no stones sticking up from the band), so her head can be set a bit lower. Your circumstances are different......you want a shared-prong band, so the diamonds will protrude higher than this knife-edge, and that likely means you need a bit more clearance to having the w-ring scratch the e-ring.

3) It may not have much bearing, but I noticed that the orientation of her 6-prongs are turned a bit different than yours.....yours have prong at the 12 and 6 o''clock positions......hers are rotated to 10 and 2 o''clock positions. This may need less clearance to sit flush than yours.

Honestly, I think you''d get much closer to what you wanted to by replacing this head with a buttercup style head.
1.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
thanks Lesley. I just PM''d you.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Aljdewey-

I agree. I asked if the rotated head would make a difference in the height of the head. But they said that it still needed to able to clear the shared-prong diamond band, so that may not make a difference.

I do like the ring. i just think the outcome was different than envisioned.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/2/2005 10:24:03 AM
Author: jcrow
val- the metal was my concern too, as well as the straight prongs....here''s the pic comparison.

The band and the head are separate issues (see the piece in WF''s post) so there is no relation - anything can be combined with anything.

The right you have taken for reference seems to have a Solstice head that was polished thinner a bit (could be wrong - don''t know more than I see).

What band will you be wearing?

If you know for sure, than the rings could be made for it to stay just so.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yeah LLL''s head is hugely different, it''s not the same, I agree yours looks more like the regular head instead of the more fluid Tiffany replica head.

Sounds like a miscommunication...

I''d send the ring back and have them do the buttercup head more like LLL''s as a peghead onto your band. Then you''ll still get that flush fit and have the head you want.

I think that is what I plan to do when I get my upgrade since they will have to switch a head out and it has to be peg style to sit flush with my band. I really love the buttercup head and may go 6 prongs with the 2c+ stone. We''ll see!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all your "eyes"

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
so here is another head comparison- my ring verses buttercup head on my ring. i know her diamond is larger. and please excuse the yellow tint on the head too.

thoughts?

222headcompare.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d have them put a buttercup head on your ring.
2.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
whoops. that top one isn''t sized right. try this.

222headcompare copy.jpg

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the buttercup head!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
oh poo. that top one isn''t sized right either.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Great job with photoshop. I think that gives us a really good picture of what it would look like with the buttercup head. I vote for changing the head.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Even if they put this buttercup head on your ring, I don't think it's going to sit the same way as your model of LLL's ring becuase I still think the head will have to sit up higher.

You are comparing your head to how LLL's ring sits, but LLL's ring doesn't have to clear the girdles of shared-prong diamonds.....yours does.

Look at the pics you posted just now......see how the prongs begin to bow out almost immediately on the buttercup head? now imagine a row of small diamonds sitting next to that? It may be too close, and if it is, it will scratch.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Alj- that''s what i was thinking too. so it may sit higher but be buttercup?

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Jcrow, I hope WF can make the ring to your liking and safe to wear with your shared prong wedding ring. I think the tiffany replica head like LLL''s is to die for. I really adore it. When I saw Demelza''s ring, I knew I was in trouble.
39.gif
Anyway... MORE PICTURES PLEASE!
9.gif
31.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
hmm, I see what alj is saying. They were probably trying to make sure that your band wouldn''t rub, and in the process there was some misunderstanding about what you want. For what it''s worth, I prefer the buttercup head too. Hopefully they can get your ring taken care of so it''s just what you had envisioned!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
WF is working with us.

I think that when we send the ring back (
8.gif
39.gif
39.gif
8.gif
) we''ll have them do the wedding band too. that way we can make sure everything is flush.

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Jcrow, I know how you feel about sending your ring back. I am currently without my precious and it''s torture! But it''ll be so worth it! Ok! Now get to work--we need more pictures of your gorgeous ring. I need some eye candy to help ease my pain!
39.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I understand that the head needs to sit high enough so that it clears your wedding band and allows for a flush fit. I don''t, however, understand how that will prevent the shared prong band from rubbing against the engagement ring? My shared prong band clears the prongs on my engagement ring, but the girdles still rub against the band of my ering. Am I missing something?

Anyway, I think the buttercup head will look fabulous. I''m just so sorry you have to part with your new ring!! Hopefully it won''t take too long.

Leila -- what''s the ETA on your ring??

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Demelza, we haven''t gotten an ETA yet. Precision Set just got the ring and is fixing it. Hopefully I''ll get it back in about 1 week. Thanks for asking.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results