shape
carat
color
clarity

Need to vent..

muesli

Shiny_Rock
I've been reading this thread and thinking that I feel SO bad for your predicament. I'm SO sorry you're going through all of this!! But a faint fluor is NOT a bad thing! Not that an F stone needs fluor, but it generally whitens lower colored stones in various lighting situations. Faint fluor will bring no negative effects to your stone, might there be a reason you're SO against fluorescence? I have diamonds in a variety of colors and am always thrilled when I find they have fluor under my black light. Just wondering.....

I have nothing against it per se but I wished that they would have told me so I knew about it.
Many jewellers here seem to prefer stones without so I did assume that they had the same stance on the matter.
:)

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Is there a governmental agency you can report them to? In the US, it would be the federal trade commission (FTC).

Yes, we are waiting for their response and if they don't give us satisfying answers we will begin to take action.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
I am going on a limb to ask you to be more open minded about subtle fluorescence. It is an amazing natural phenomenon that is rare in geology and incredibly cool. I like sitting in the dark with a small black light watching my fluorescent diamonds fluoresce. If you are “stuck” with this diamond, maybe geological fluorescence is something you were meant to be exposed to? I suggest buying a huge chunk of calcite and a black light flashlight and posing your diamond with the calcite and enjoy it!!!

Yes it sure is but, like I said in a previous answer, I wish I knew.
If I'm stuck with this diamond I will enjoy it regardless, but we don't feel like we have been treated well by the jeweller none the less.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Hi, @muesli :wavey:

Would you kindly clarify something for us: when you selected the diamond to be used as the center stone for the ring you two were having the jeweler create, did they write the GIA lab report number on the ring order/sales receipt/invoice? That's the usual procedure.

I wouldn't worry yet about the fact that you've not received the GIA report itself. As one of the PS Trade members explained here awhile back, some jewelers are reluctant to deliver the GIA report until they are certain that the diamond is not going to be returned. That's because GIA no longer issues duplicate reports, so if the customer returns the diamond -- but not the report -- the jeweler has to send the diamond back to GIA for a new report (at additional expense).

Yes of course:).
No they did not, unfortunately. I'm prepared for that this will be a problem going forward.

Also, how much would you say that 1g of white gold is? I have no experience so I can't guess. The reason for me asking is because we are not sure that the ring has the required stamps to even be sold in our country, but it might be in order?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
When they presented you with the stones was that in person?

muesli

Shiny_Rock
When they presented you with the stones was that in person?

No it was over mail.

An example would be:

0,80 ct GIA excellent cut H SI1 round brilliant
0,70 ct GIA excellent cut G Vvs2 round brilliant
....etc.

If I knew then what I'm learning now I would never have done this. I was way too gullible.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
No it was over mail.

An example would be:

....etc.

If I knew then what I'm learning now I would never have done this. I was way too gullible.

Don’t be so hard on yourself. These things happen. Buying diamonds isn’t an everyday thing and most people know very little about the process. Have you heard anything from the vendor yet? Isn’t it funny how they are so responsive before you buy and completely silent when you have an issue after.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Don’t be so hard on yourself. These things happen. Buying diamonds isn’t an everyday thing and most people know very little about the process. Have you heard anything from the vendor yet? Isn’t it funny how they are so responsive before you buy and completely silent when you have an issue after.

Thank you=)2.

Yes it is:roll.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No it was over mail.
An example would be:
....etc.
Yes of course:).
No they did not, unfortunately. I'm prepared for that this will be a problem going forward.

Also, how much would you say that 1g of white gold is? I have no experience so I can't guess. The reason for me asking is because we are not sure that the ring has the required stamps to even be sold in our country, but it might be in order?
Yes, I hate to say this, but it is a problem -- from a legal standpoint -- that you made the decision based on those general specifications. In fact, I would counsel you to not post negative reviews, etc., for you have no grounded basis for saying you were defrauded or even led astray -- and although I have no knowledge of Swedish defamation law, European defamation law, in general, is stricter than here in the US. (Of course, you may deem this advice from an Internet stranger to be worth what you've paid for it... nothing ;)) )

Post #2 in this thread is the response of PS Trade Member Texas Leaguer (Bryan Boyne, the Vice-President of highly respected Whiteflash) to a PSer who asked about the effect of faint fluorescence on a H-color diamond: "it will not be noticeable and will have no effects on appearance in any real life situation. Even under a black light, the glow will be, well, 'faint.'"
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/faint-fluorescence-on-an-h-color-diamond.214007/
But since GIA's notation on its report is upsetting you, my suggestion would be that you approach the vendor with a more conciliatory proposal to exchange the current stone for one without fluorescence. (edited to add: it's unrealistic to expect a jeweler to accept the return of a custom-fabricated ring whose design you asked for & issue a full refund.)

I'm sure the ring depicted in the photos in your previous thread
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-some-help.249197/
weighs more than 1 gram. I know from reading that thread that you are second-guessing yourself on the band width, but the ring is truly lovely and looks to be well made!

Is the ring "stamped" with 750; is the 750 amidst 3 crowns or "cat's paws" or balanced on either side by an old-fashioned scale bowl?

Last edited:

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I hate to say this, but it is a problem -- from a legal standpoint -- that you made the decision based on those general specifications. In fact, I would counsel you to not post negative reviews, etc., for you have no grounded basis for saying you were defrauded or even led astray -- and although I have no knowledge of Swedish defamation law, European defamation law, in general, is stricter here than here in the US. (Of course, you may deem this advice from an Internet stranger to be worth what you've paid for it... nothing ;)) )

Post #2 in this thread is the response of PS Trade Member Texas Leaguer (Bryan Boyne, the Vice-President of highly respected Whiteflash) to a PSer who asked about the effect of faint fluorescence on a H-color diamond: "it will not be noticeable and will have no effects on appearance in any real life situation. Even under a black light, the glow will be, well, 'faint.'"
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/faint-fluorescence-on-an-h-color-diamond.214007/
But since GIA's notation on its report is upsetting you, my suggestion would be that you approach the vendor with a more conciliatory proposal to exchange the current stone for one without fluorescence.

I'm sure the ring depicted in the photos in your previous thread
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-some-help.249197/
weighs more than 1 gram. I know from reading that thread that you are second-guessing yourself on the band width, but the ring is truly lovely and looks to be well made!

Is the ring "stamped" with 750; is the 750 amidst 3 crowns or "cat's paws" or balanced on either side by an old-fashioned scale bowl?

Thank you!

Yes I'm prepared that we just have to deal with this and learn from our mistake.
I will not post anything negative until I know all the facts etc, in other words I will not do something drastic, maybe I will not post anything at all.

The ring is only marked with 18 ct.

Yes it's pretty indeed, that why I went for it, but it's doesn't feel good at all..sadly.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
18 ct is a UK way of expressing what would be stamped 18K in the US; 750 is the equivalent in other countries that use the metric system. You could contact SWEDAC with your query about the propriety of the 18ct mark:
https://www.swedac.se/services/precious-metal/?lang=en

I'm so sorry it should be 18K, but according to Swedac it should have a name stamp aswell if it exceeds 1 g (I guess it is only the weight of the metall and not with the diamonds).

I assume it's in order but we were never informed that it was the case.
Our fault again as we thought the it was customary to always stamp (as other rings I have).
We have learned our lesson, that's for sure.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the jeweler in the US?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are you having buyers remorse? It’s ok if you are. It just seems that you aren’t happy with the ring or the diamond. Do you wish you’d bought something different now you have the ring?

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Are you having buyers remorse? It’s ok if you are. It just seems that you aren’t happy with the ring or the diamond. Do you wish you’d bought something different now you have the ring?

I've had the ring for a couple of months now and I just don't feel comfortable with it somehow. I think it has to do with that we thought we bought something else. We wanted to get quality, and I know that stamps alone or a no-fluoro stone doesn't say that it isn't quality.
The main issue is that the jeweller has not told us everything, been very hard to get hold of and we can't help to start doubting. I wish that I would have asked so much more, so yes I'm hard on myself.

We bought my fiance's ring at another place and everything was great. In hindsight we regret that we didn't buy my ring there.

Right now I'm thinking of finding another jeweller who can make a new setting for me (sturdier and w/o pave) and then go on with life. I wanted it to be set in platinum originally but was convinced that white gold was better (by the jeweller).

I love to wear my jewelry as much as I can and I was just so overwhelmed by it all that I choose pave, which I never planned on having in the first place.

I'm upset with myself, that's for sure, but luckily my fiance is the kindest and supports me in this.

Last edited:

Ss52

Shiny_Rock
I've had the ring for a couple of months now and I just don't feel comfortable with it somehow. I think it has to do with that we thought we bought something else. We wanted to get quality, and I know that stamps alone or a no-fluoro stone doesn't say that it isn't quality.
The main issue is that the jeweller has not told us everything, been very hard to get hold of and we can't help to start doubting. I wish that I would have asked so much more, so yes I'm hard on myself.

We bought my fiance's ring at another place and everything was great. In hindsight we regret that we didn't buy my ring there.

Right now I'm thinking of finding another jeweller who can make a new setting for me (sturdier and w/o pave) and then go on with life. I wanted it to be set in platinum originally but was convinced that white gold was better (by the jeweller).

I love to wear my jewelry as much as I can and I was just so overwhelmed by it all that I choose pave, which I never planned on having in the first place.

I'm upset with myself, that's for sure, but luckily my fiance is the kindest and supports me in this.

Muesli, your diamond and setting are GORGEOUS!! Honestly, I’d be thrilled to have an F color rather than a G. I understand the vendor didn’t give you the good customer service you deserved, but the final ring is drop dead fabulous. The jeweler was bad but your ring is NOT. The Pavé looks to be done extremely well. Enjoy it awhile before doing anything to it.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Thank you!
Yes I will not rush in to anything atm I just need ventilate my thoughts and feelings regarding this.

I'm really grateful to all of you for giving me advice :D.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
I ran the GIA no in the HCA and it got a 4.8 so not that good I guess?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think you are doing yourself any favors by second guessing this purchase months after it was made, especially since you purchased it with general specs rather than specific stones (e.g. the vendor said "G, VS2" vs showing you a literal GIA number). But no, 4.8 is not good, and we would generally tell a buyer to "reject" such a stone.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
I don't think you are doing yourself any favors by second guessing this purchase months after it was made, especially since you purchased it with general specs rather than specific stones (e.g. the vendor said "G, VS2" vs showing you a literal GIA number). But no, 4.8 is not good, and we would generally tell a buyer to "reject" such a stone.

Thank you!

They did list specific stones with stats and different pricing on every stone (have double checked my mails).
Is it bad for a GIA xxx aswell?

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!

They did list specific stones with stats and different pricing on every stone (have double checked my mails).
Is it bad for a GIA xxx aswell?
Yes, it's bad for GIAXXX. GIA XXX doesn't = good stone. In fact, many are poorly cut, which is why we use all the tools like HCA and ASET/IS images, etc, to pick a good one. AGS 000 is significantly more strict on cut, so an AGS 000 is almost always well cut, whereas a GIA XXX is often poorly cut.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Yes, it's bad for GIAXXX. GIA XXX doesn't = good stone. In fact, many are poorly cut, which is why we use all the tools like HCA and ASET/IS images, etc, to pick a good one. AGS 000 is significantly more strict on cut, so an AGS 000 is almost always well cut, whereas a GIA XXX is often poorly cut.

Thank you so, so much for explaining, we highly appreciate it!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, @muesli , I am so very sorry that you didn't see or remember the explanations and tips given in September -- how I wish we had a magic wand for you to turn back the clock ;(
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-not-as-sparkly.243736/#post-4417053
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-some-help.243515/#post-4410010

But since that isn't possible, what do you think of the idea of asking the jeweler to take back the current stone for a credit towards a better performing diamond. Since you've had the ring for some months,** think it's very unlikely they'll be willing to give you full credit for the diamond's purchase price, but even so, a partial credit/refund would mean a new diamond is cheaper than buying the new stone entirely out of your own pockets.

In the alternative, you might consider selling the ring "as is" on your own or consigning it. Odds are you'll take a big financial hit that way, but since you're finding no joy in the ring, you and your fiance may be OK with that.

FYI many jewelers are not very well informed regarding cut quality, and that may be even more true in Sweden where you've said diamond engagement rings are a relatively new development, i.e., the jeweler him/herself might honestly believe GIA xxx stones are "top of the line" or at least excellent cuts.

** Didn't realize until your post #74 today that the ring is not a new acquisition. I don't know the nature of the emails you've already sent the jeweler, but would be pointing to the failure to deliver the laminated GIA report, after so many weeks, as leverage for returning the center stone be at odds with anything you've written them?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, @muesli , I am so very sorry that you didn't see or remember the explanations and tips given in September -- how I wish we had a magic wand for you to turn back the clock ;(
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-not-as-sparkly.243736/#post-4417053
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-some-help.243515/#post-4410010

But since that isn't possible, what do you think of the idea of asking the jeweler to take back the current stone for a credit towards a better performing diamond. Since you've had the ring for some months,** think it's very unlikely they'll be willing to give you full credit for the diamond's purchase price, but even so, a partial credit/refund would mean a new diamond is cheaper than buying the new stone entirely out of your own pockets.

In the alternative, you might consider selling the ring "as is" on your own or consigning it. Odds are you'll take a big financial hit that way, but since you're finding no joy in the ring, you and your fiance may be OK with that.

FYI many jewelers are not very well informed regarding cut quality, and that may be even more true in Sweden where you've said diamond engagement rings are a relatively new development, i.e., the jeweler him/herself might honestly believe GIA xxx stones are "top of the line" or at least excellent cuts.

** Didn't realize until your post #74 today that the ring is not a new acquisition. I don't know the nature of the emails you've already sent the jeweler, but would be pointing to the failure to deliver the laminated GIA report, after so many weeks, as leverage for returning the center stone be at odds with anything you've written them?

all of this, 100%

muesli

Shiny_Rock

Honestly I trusted them...that's all I can say..I did put faith in that they knew what they where doing.
Huge mistake on my behalf, that's probably the main reason I'm upset with myself. Normally I'm really careful with purchases, try to do my homework etc, but this time I did not. I had a lot of other things on my plate, it's not a good excuse but it is what it is.

We are really upset with the fact that they have not sent us the laminated GIA report, service is not their forte it seems. We still not have the laminated report, only a number..:(.

We will solve this in one way or the other.

Thank you:).

muesli

Shiny_Rock
I will add that they stated that cut is the most important thing plenty of times.
Showed us images of too deep and shallow cuts etc.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post the GIA specs? How deep is the stone?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will add that they stated that cut is the most important thing plenty of times.
Showed us images of too deep and shallow cuts etc.
Most jewelers don't really understand ideal cuts beyond GIA XXX (outside of PS, anyway).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results