shape
carat
color
clarity

Need to vent..

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys!

This is a long story with many bumps on the road but all in all I'm so sad about my e-ring.

Yesterday we got the certificate and the center diamond (solitaire with pave band) doesn't not correspond with the one we thought we bought (I have proof). There is not a huge difference in the 4 C's but it has flourescence (faint).
We were not informed that any of the diamonds we were contemplating had this trait, this is not something we want. We are so disappointed and I'm really upset with myself, why didn't I ask more? We trusted that the jeweller would get us a quality piece:(.

I know some people don't mind flourescence but this is not what we wanted at this time.
I'm crestfallen and there is no joy in wearing my ring, I just get reminded of all of this(and some other stuff that I will not cover here).

Thank you for reading.

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would contact the jeweler asap and discuss returning it. What kind of report did it come with? Did you tell the jeweler specifically no flouro?
I'm so sorry you feel like you dont have joy in your ring anymore. I'm sure with more information we can help more. Also, you are not the first to find something about your stone and and then have sour feelings about it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yesterday we got the certificate and the center diamond (solitaire with pave band) doesn't not correspond with the one we thought we bought (I have proof). There is not a huge difference in the 4 C's but it has flourescence (faint).
There's nothing wrong with a faint flour stone. Is the stone GIA /AGS graded? what are the specs?

muesli

Shiny_Rock
There's nothing wrong with a faint flour stone. Is the stone GIA /AGS graded? what are the specs?

It was not what we wanted, and I in my foolishness, thought that the jeweller did not use stones with flourescence as it seems common that most jewellers don't use it here.
My problem is that I would have wanted to know it before purchasing.
We did not get to see the certificate beforehand, it's a GIA certified stone.
I'm disappointed at myself for not asking more, but we trusted the jeweller.
Also we paid for one stone and on the certificate it's another..I can't even be sure that it's that one on my ring.
Thank you.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also we paid for one stone and on the certificate it's another..I can't even be sure that it's that one on my ring.
Thank you.
Is the stone inscribed with the GIA report # on its girdle?

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Sorry things aren't working out. I think it's fairly common with jewelry though. Can you return it and start over again?

That would be my preferred scenario but my hopes are not high.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It was not what we wanted, and I in my foolishness, thought that the jeweller did not use stones with flourescence as it seems common that most jewellers don't use it here.
My problem is that I would have wanted to know it before purchasing.
We did not get to see the certificate beforehand, it's a GIA certified stone.
I'm disappointed at myself for not asking more, but we trusted the jeweller.
Thank you.
I am not a lawyer, but it would seem that you definitely have grounds to demand a refund. I would go to an appraiser or even just another jeweler and ask to have the stone examined under the microscope (they may charge a fee for this) and have them document the inscribed number. If the number does not match what you were "sold", go directly to the jeweler that sold it to you and tell them you want a refund. Do not accept an offer for exchange!

I wish you luck and am hoping that things can be resolved to your satisfaction.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
I am not a lawyer, but it would seem that you definitely have grounds to demand a refund. I would go to an appraiser or even just another jeweler and ask to have the stone examined under the microscope (they may charge a fee for this) and have them document the inscribed number. If the number does not match what you were "sold", go directly to the jeweler that sold it to you and tell them you want a refund. Do not accept an offer for exchange!

I wish you luck and am hoping that things can be resolved to your satisfaction.

Thank you!

The "new" stone is an F and we ordered an G so one could argue that it's "better" (cut and inclusions might not be) but that is not the point for me. How can I trust that anything considering the ring is in order?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask for a refund and go elsewhere. If you paid for one stone, but it was swapped, that is illegal in most countries.
This. The jeweler can't do this, it is illegal. So you don't "ask" for a refund, you demand one. Obviously this depends on where you live, but as said above, swapping stones and giving you something different than what you paid is illegsl in most places

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are in the US, tell the jeweler you will be contacting the better business bureau, and getting a lawyer.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
If you are in the US, tell the jeweler you will be contacting the better business bureau, and getting a lawyer.

I'm in Europe but thank you for your help.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in Europe but thank you for your help.
Swapping stones like this is illegal in Europe as well (as far as I know). Do you have certificates to prove that the stone you got isn't the one you paid for? If so, I would be contacting a lawyer

muesli

Shiny_Rock
What's your 'proof'? In any case, have you contacted the jeweler about your worry and what did they say?

I have an invoice specifying another stone.
I learned about this yesterday and wrote to the jeweller, so we will wait and see.
I just really needed to vent as the ring didn't arrive on time and the engraving is wrong, together it all got a bit much. I'm feeling better now:).
Thank you.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I learned about this yesterday and wrote to the jeweller, so we will wait and see.
I just really needed to vent as the ring didn't arrive on time and the engraving is wrong, together it all got a bit much. I'm feeling better now:).
Thank you.
I guess my point is that you don't need to "vent", you need to take legal action. The jeweler lied about your purchase. This isn't the same as "I don't like my rig". This sounds like fraud.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Swapping stones like this is illegal in Europe as well (as far as I know). Do you have certificates to prove that the stone you got isn't the one you paid for? If so, I would be contacting a lawyer

Even if the colour is "better" than the one we originally bought?

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Of course. You didn't get what you paid for. Period.

Thank you! I've started to doubt my feelings and thinking that I'm exaggerating, your words keep me on the right track:).

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you.
Absolutely lets see what the jeweler says. Fundamentally, I ask this question because there are several areas of confusion in this industry. For example, when a seller says one thing and some appraiser says something different. This may or may not be evidence of a problem, but it's a different problem from delivering a stone that's different from the one purchased. A stone with a girdle inscription that doesn't match the paperwork is a completely different sort of proof.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely lets see what the jeweler says. Fundamentally, I ask this question because there are several areas of confusion in this industry. For example, when a seller says one thing and some appraiser says something different. This may or may not be evidence of a problem, but it's a different problem from delivering a stone that's different from the one purchased. A stone with a girdle inscription that doesn't match the paperwork is a completely different sort of proof.

Thank you.

We did not get the number (nor information regarding flourescence), only the 4 c's (on the invoice).

I feel like an imbecill for not demanding further information (especially after discovering this forum), so my hopes are not very high. I foolishly trusted the jeweller and here we are.

The information provided (colour, clarity) doesn't not add up regardless, so we'll see what they say. I still feel played but you live and hopefully learn.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1 - there have been lengthy discussions on here about fluo. Even the big labs don't have the same standard. I remember many threads where pro members also discussed different wavelengths etc. So the change from none to faint might not necessarily a proof it's not the same diamond.
I don't think it has a big impact on the price of the diamond either and is certainly not a sign for poor quality . I do understand you didn't want a diamond with fluorescence, but it's nothing to feel disappointed by any vendor if he sells diamonds with fluoro.

2 The details of your documents are important - you speak of the GIA cert, but haven't answered the other questions.

So: you have a bill/invoice /receipt /order confirmation that states that you bought xyz diamond with xyz spec. Right?
Did it include THE GIA REPORT NUMBER?

And now you have the stone and cert in hand and it has different specs?

In this case you can just go and tell them they did not deliver what you paid for.

If your invoice document is just a general description ("g colour or better", minimum xyz carats) your legal stand is much different.

I don't have a loupe but will try to get one.

First off :what does the report say. Not all GIA reports include the inscription service.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1 - there have been lengthy discussions on here about fluo. Even the big labs don't have the same standard. I remember many threads where pro members also discussed different wavelengths etc. So the change from none to faint might not necessarily a proof it's not the same diamond.
I don't think it has a big impact on the price of the diamond either and is certainly not a sign for poor quality . I do understand you didn't want a diamond with fluorescence, but it's nothing to feel disappointed by any vendor if he sells diamonds with fluoro.

2 The details of your documents are important - you speak of the GIA cert, but haven't answered the other questions.

So: you have a bill/invoice /receipt /order confirmation that states that you bought xyz diamond with xyz spec. Right?

In this case you can just go and tell them they did not deliver what you paid for.

If your invoice document is just a general description ("g colour or better", minimum xyz carats) your legal stand is much different.

First off :what does the report say. Not all GIA reports include the inscription service.
ALL OF THIS

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!

The "new" stone is an F and we ordered an G so one could argue that it's "better" (cut and inclusions might not be) but that is not the point for me. How can I trust that anything considering the ring is in order?

Simple answer: you can't.
Get a refund and start over with a reputable vendor.

muesli

Shiny_Rock

The invoice do not state the GIA report number and we had to ask for the autenthication for numerous times.
We finally got it yesterday and immediately noted that colour and clarity were not the same as on the invoice.
So unfortunately I do not have the number of the stone we believed we bought, only the "new" one.
I think we just have to accept it and learn from this.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The invoice do not state the GIA report number and we had to ask for the autenthication for numerous times.
We finally got it yesterday and immediately noted that colour and clarity were not the same as on the invoice.
So unfortunately I do not have the number of the stone we believed we bought, only the "new" one.
I think we just have to accept it and learn from this.

But the second part of my question was:
Did the invoice state specifics (colour, clarity, weight) and talked about ONE specific diamond or not ?

IF THOSE DON'T MATCH you still didn't get what you paid for..

Please post what was on the receipt :
Colour
Clarity
Carat weight
Cut specs

And the GIA CERT
Colour
Clarity
Carat weight
Cut specs

WHAT wording is on the receipt!??

As I already stated above. This doesn't work if the receipt clearly states that they only promise you approximately a diamond close to xyz specs...
(PS I'm German and I'm positive under German law and EU law you can get a refund IN CASE they really didn't deliver what you ordered.)

muesli

Shiny_Rock
But the second part of my question was:
Did the invoice state specifics (colour, clarity, weight) and talked about ONE specific diamond or not ?

IF THOSE DON'T MATCH you still didn't get what you paid for..

Please post what was on the receipt :
Colour
Clarity
Carat weight
Cut specs

And the GIA CERT
Colour
Clarity
Carat weight
Cut specs

WHAT wording is on the receipt!??

As I already stated above. This doesn't work if the receipt clearly states that they only promise you approximately a diamond close to xyz specs...
(PS I'm German and I'm positive under German law and EU law you can get a refund IN CASE they really didn't deliver what you ordered.)

I'm so sorry:(.

Specs invoice:
0,70 ct
G
VS
Excellent GIA

Specs certificate (that we got yesterday):

0,71 ct
F
VS2
Excellent cut
GIA no (won't write it here atm)
Flourescence: Faint

This is all I've got.
Thank you for helping :).

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, sorry if I'm repeating myself, please don't feel pressured or anything but to get to the bottom of this, it's important to know.

... but the fact that they just say VS on the order (as opposed to Vs1 or VS2) makes me think that the order might not be for a specific diamond. If the wording said minimum weight of 0,70 ct
G
VS
They overdelivered on weight + colour and are spot on about clarity.
So nothing to reproach.

If they sold you a specific diamond and delivered another one, it's legally irrelevant that they overdelivered. They swapped your diamond. You get your money back. You need to read the fine print.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results