shape
carat
color
clarity

Need to vent..

muesli

Shiny_Rock
No worries:).

They presented me with different specific stones to choose from and we picked the G VS one.
They have never stated in any of our conversations (I have the mails) that it was not specific stones nor is it mentioned on the invoice that it was not that specific stone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No worries:).

They presented me with different specific stones to choose from and we picked the G VS one.
They have never stated in any of our conversations (I have the mails) that it was not specific stones nor is it mentioned on the invoice that it was not that specific stone.
Ok, if they presented you with physical stone choices and you picked one, and then the one you got was different, it's fraud.

If they provided you with "minimum" specs (e.g. G color, VS clarity), then they didn't do anything wrong. But you'll need emails to prove that they showed you literal stones and that you chose one specifically.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this jeweler near you? If it is I'd just go in and bring your paperwork and ask for a stone with no fluoro. If they're not nearby, email your concerns and then call.

Just to note, if you have pave, you likely have some fluorescent stones there.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could they have given you the wrong grading report?

Did you pay by Credit Card?

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Ok, if they presented you with physical stone choices and you picked one, and then the one you got was different, it's fraud.

If they provided you with "minimum" specs (e.g. G color, VS clarity), then they didn't do anything wrong. But you'll need emails to prove that they showed you literal stones and that you chose one specifically.

We agreed upon specs that they could choose from and then we were presented with specific stones, I have a couple of mails with different stones, some H SI1 etc and of course the one we picked.

The thing is that they have treated us poorly prior to this discovery so that makes us even more disappointed.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Is this jeweler near you? If it is I'd just go in and bring your paperwork and ask for a stone with no fluoro. If they're not nearby, email your concerns and then call.

Just to note, if you have pave, you likely have some fluorescent stones there.

I have contacted them and are awaiting their reply.
The certification states that the pave diamonds are not fluoro, so I guess they're not.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Could they have given you the wrong grading report?

Did you pay by Credit Card?

No we didn't pay with credit card.
Maybe? We'll wait and see. I don't have much confidence in them atm unfortunately.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No we didn't pay with credit card.
Maybe? We'll wait and see. I don't have much confidence in them atm unfortunately.
You don't need to wait for very long. If they did exwctly what you say, it's fraud. And you can call a lawyer and/or report them.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have contacted them and are awaiting their reply.
The certification states that the pave diamonds are not fluoro, so I guess they're not.

The certification? Is this an appraisal? Very odd.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
So sorry what should be such a happy purchase has gone sour. I hope you can get it corrected.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I imagine that they got an opportunity to sell your stone before setting and then thought it was no big deal to swap it out. It is a big deal. Huge.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I imagine that they got an opportunity to sell your stone before setting and then thought it was no big deal to swap it out. It is a big deal. Huge.
Yup, very possible!

muesli

Shiny_Rock
The certification? Is this an appraisal? Very odd.

I don't now how it should normally look like but its described on a document that we can use for insurance purposes.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't now how it should normally look like but its described on a document that we can use for insurance purposes.
Described in words, or like a GIA report?
We agreed upon specs that they could choose from and then we were presented with specific stones, I have a couple of mails with different stones, some H SI1 etc and of course the one we picked.

The thing is that they have treated us poorly prior to this discovery so that makes us even more disappointed.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Described in words, or like a GIA report?

Described in words, I haven't even got the GIA report, only the number for the new stone (and specs) and I have found the stone on GIA's website, but I still can't be sure that it's the one that I have on the ring(need a loupe).
They seem really unprofessional and you have to send numerous of mails before they answer:(.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Described in words, I haven't even got the GIA report, only the number for the new stone (and specs) and I have found the stone on GIA's website, but I still can't be sure that it's the one that I have on the ring(need a loupe).
They seem really unprofessional and you have to send numerous of mails before they answer:(.
Unfortunately, if you don't have the GIA report and haven't louped it to see the inscription (or it doesn't have one), you have no clue what stone you have.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Unfortunately, if you don't have the GIA report and haven't louped it to see the inscription (or it doesn't have one), you have no clue what stone you have.

I know, we have contacted the jeweller so we'll see what they say..If I could just turn back time and go with someone else I definately would.
I will try to find a loupe and see if the number is correct (on the F stone).

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
It might help to let them know you'll be giving them a public review, on whatever review sites you have there, if nothing else.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
It might help to let them know you'll be giving them a public review, on whatever review sites you have there, if nothing else.

Thank you! Oooh yes we will:twisted2:!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know you’ve put your concerns in writing to them and that’s good, but why wait? Why not call? Or go?

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I've been reading this thread and thinking that I feel SO bad for your predicament. I'm SO sorry you're going through all of this!! But a faint fluor is NOT a bad thing! Not that an F stone needs fluor, but it generally whitens lower colored stones in various lighting situations. Faint fluor will bring no negative effects to your stone, might there be a reason you're SO against fluorescence? I have diamonds in a variety of colors and am always thrilled when I find they have fluor under my black light. Just wondering.....

Miss Marple

Shiny_Rock
Is there a governmental agency you can report them to? In the US, it would be the federal trade commission (FTC).

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I've been reading this thread and thinking that I feel SO bad for your predicament. I'm SO sorry you're going through all of this!! But a faint fluor is NOT a bad thing! Not that an F stone needs fluor, but it generally whitens lower colored stones in various lighting situations. Faint fluor will bring no negative effects to your stone, might there be a reason you're SO against fluorescence? I have diamonds in a variety of colors and am always thrilled when I find they have fluor under my black light. Just wondering.....

Me too. I think fluorescence is extremely cool! I would always prefer a diamond with fluorescence over one without it so I don't know why they don't charge extra for it.

L

lydial

I am going on a limb to ask you to be more open minded about subtle fluorescence. It is an amazing natural phenomenon that is rare in geology and incredibly cool. I like sitting in the dark with a small black light watching my fluorescent diamonds fluoresce. If you are “stuck” with this diamond, maybe geological fluorescence is something you were meant to be exposed to? I suggest buying a huge chunk of calcite and a black light flashlight and posing your diamond with the calcite and enjoy it!!!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, @muesli :wavey:

Would you kindly clarify something for us: when you selected the diamond to be used as the center stone for the ring you two were having the jeweler create, did they write the GIA lab report number on the ring order/sales receipt/invoice? That's the usual procedure.

I wouldn't worry yet about the fact that you've not received the GIA report itself. As one of the PS Trade members explained here awhile back, some jewelers are reluctant to deliver the GIA report until they are certain that the diamond is not going to be returned. That's because GIA no longer issues duplicate reports, so if the customer returns the diamond -- but not the report -- the jeweler has to send the diamond back to GIA for a new report (at additional expense).

Last edited:

muesli

Shiny_Rock
I know you’ve put your concerns in writing to them and that’s good, but why wait? Why not call? Or go?

They are really hard to reach, which is another thing to add to the list(they don't have a physical store, unfortunately).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results