shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion not as sparkly?

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Are cushion cuts(squared cuts in particular) not as sparkly as round cuts?

Sorry for all of my questions, still learning and searching for my e-ring, it's a bit exhausting to be completely honest.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not all square stones are cushions. Princess cuts and ascher cuts have a squarish outline, you can also have more squat emerald and radiant cut stones that have a more squarish appearance. You can also have elongated cushions which can be more rectangular. What defines the cut is the faceting, not necessarily the outline shape.

As far as being more/less sparkly that really depends on the cut. When you say sparkly, I assume you mean "fire" that is associated with an ideal cut round. There are some branded hearts and arrows cushions that will have a very similar appearance. There are also, antique faceted cushions (very popular here0 that have larger facets giving bold/pastel flashes - sparkly in a different flavor. And last there are crushed ice cushions, which will have a splintery random flashes, if cut well, otherwise can be very lifeless.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rarely will cushions come close to ideal cut rounds in light return. The only ones that would are the August Vintage Cushions and Canera Antique Cushions. Modern cushions are hard to find really well cut, and even the better cut ones won't match the light return of a very well cut round. I'd say that is true of most other diamond shapes.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ditto the above. They also face-up smaller for their carat weight than an ideal cut round. So going with a MRB was an easy decision for me

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much guys! I highly appreciate your input/help.

I believe I'm better of with a round brilliant then, as I loooove when diamonds reflect light.
The quest for my e-ring continues, I've found a setting I love, so that is nice.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you post your budget and desired specs, we can help :)

muesli

Shiny_Rock
if you post your budget and desired specs, we can help :)

I'm in Europe and don't feel comfortable with ordering online so to speak:oops:.
My worries aside, I would prefer something between 0,5 - 0,7, G and excellent cut.:D
Thank you for your kindness!

Trionacat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm in Europe and don't feel comfortable with ordering online so to speak:oops:.
My worries aside, I would prefer something between 0,5 - 0,7, G and excellent cut.:D
Thank you for your kindness!
Based in Europe also and have ordered online from the states . Was very nervous but if you use a vendor recommended here you can't go wrong. Choice is so much better

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What drew you to a cushion to begin with? Is this ring for you or your intended?

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@KKJohnson shared a great video comparison of the different flavors of cushion in a different thread.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based in Europe also and have ordered online from the states . Was very nervous but if you use a vendor recommended here you can't go wrong. Choice is so much better

+1000!!

If you decide to go with a round, you can also check out @durhamrose in the UK and fortrez diamonds in Belgium. They and a couple of others carry high performance diamond superideals (search dealers on the hpd website for all options) . Prices are better than on the European high street and cut quality is incomparable to the rubbish they try to sell you in most of Europe (believe me, I've researched the topic for each of my bigger purchases and it hasn't changed since I started buying jewelry 12 years ago)

ohsomethingshiny

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If finger coverage is something you highly value, it is good to know that cushions will face up smaller than a well cut round of the same carat size. I believe my 2.16ct cushion is similar in coverage to around 1.85ct round because my cushion is deeper.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are so many variations and beautiful options re diamonds. Hard to choose just one and even with all the info it’s still tough. If I could have an endless budget I think I might just have one (or more haha) of each cut. Probably all of them antique as I prefer the faceting with antique diamonds but nevertheless so many gorgeous options. Hard to pick a favorite flavor.

muesli

Shiny_Rock
+1000!!

If you decide to go with a round, you can also check out @durhamrose in the UK and fortrez diamonds in Belgium. They and a couple of others carry high performance diamond superideals (search dealers on the hpd website for all options) . Prices are better than on the European high street and cut quality is incomparable to the rubbish they try to sell you in most of Europe (believe me, I've researched the topic for each of my bigger purchases and it hasn't changed since I started buying jewelry 12 years ago)

Not even if I can get a GIA xxx?

If finger coverage is something you highly value, it is good to know that cushions will face up smaller than a well cut round of the same carat size. I believe my 2.16ct cushion is similar in coverage to around 1.85ct round because my cushion is deeper.

Yes I do value that tbh8-):bigsmile:.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not even if I can get a GIA xxx?

Gia xxx is a wide range. To ensure great performance stay in the PS "cheat sheet" parameters :
54-57 table
60-62.4 depth
34-35 crown
40.6-40.9 pavilion
75-80 LGf
crown and pavilion angles should be complimentary, 35/40.6 or 34/40.9.

Most jewellers over here were not willing to sift through virtual stones and tend to want to push their own inventory. 98%of that won't match those specs. If you find a unicorn, it's still going to be more expensive than a US import plus taxes, fees, and shipping. If you go with a local superideal dealer from the get - go, you'll at least have a knowledgeable jeweller. Pricing is the same than ordering from the US +taxes +shipping (usually a little less, even).
And you can return without much of a problem.
Or do the legwork yourself and order from blue Nile in the UK. You have to do all the searching yourself, and but at least you can search for the cheat sheet angles and have the hassle free returns.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results