shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help: halo hesitation!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i have trouble seeing the ctw of those stones? what were they able to find you?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also cannot make out the numbers very well but it appears the second one is larger than the first which seems to be a G VVS1.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
after some zooming looks like the second one is an I (si1 i think) and over 5mm. I think i prefer that one, what did IDJ say?

redfalconx

Rough_Rock
Diamond A:

Measurements: 4.91-4.93 x 3.03 mm
0.44 carat
G
VVS1
Excellent
Clarity characteristics: pinpoint
Polish: Ex
Symmetry: Ex
Fluorescence: Medium blue

Diamond B:

5.06-5.07 x 3.10 mm
I
SI1
Excellent
Clarity characteristics: feather, crystal
Polish: Ex
Symmetry: Ex
Fluorescence: None

nielseel|1357179325|3345975 said:
after some zooming looks like the second one is an I (si1 i think) and over 5mm. I think i prefer that one, what did IDJ say?

IDJ said they recommend the second one. I don't know anything about the specifics of the setting either, but they want to make me one like the JA one.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the I Si1 to the G VSS. Your setting isn't a particularly difficult one to recreate so I have faith that IDJ can do it and agree that they very often offer more bang for the buck.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I say go for it. Its nice they found one over 5mm for you. And I agree that setting is common they shouldn't end up with something you are unhappy with. If they're still in your budget this is a check of a lot of bang for your buck

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with the second one for the size, but I would absolutely want that Gabriel and Co setting, not an unknown setting that they would make. Gabriel and Co is nice quality and I would stick with that. That is why IDJ was recommended.

http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER8276W44JJ

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1357215835|3346143 said:
I would go with the second one for the size, but I would absolutely want that Gabriel and Co setting, not an unknown setting that they would make. Gabriel and Co is nice quality and I would stick with that. That is why IDJ was recommended.

http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER8276W44JJ

Ah! I missed this! I really like this setting and people have been happy with Gabriel settings! I know that you were hoping to have the culet exposed, I wonder if there is a Gabriel option that will allow for this? DS do you know?

redfalconx

Rough_Rock
So it seems unanimous that everyone likes the second stone more - the I SI1. Can I ask why, just so I know what you experts think? Is it because of the size? Something better about the idealscope images?

Also, IDJ said that they'd be able to do it all for $1,450. I'm perfectly comfortable with that.

The setting is an unknown though, and so I'm going to ask if there is any way I can see it before giving the go ahead.

I also really like IDJ for their customer service. They've been really on top of things, have gotten back to me extremely quickly (even with the holidays and all), and have told me repeatedly that they only want to give me perfection. I must say I like that. Plus, 30-day return policy and 45-day resizing policy. I would have to pay for return shipping and insuring, but that shouldn't be too bad, right?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it because youd be surprised how important such a small size difference is. A 5mm stone is going to have more visual impact. And when your trying to stretch your budget, i wouldnt put my money in a G with such high clarity, Id put it in the size, because at this ctw, even just light increase has a lot of impact.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I agree that with the budget constraints it doesn't make sense to go with a G VVS1 stone and that you will get more visual impact with the larger diameter of the I SI1, and the fact that IDJ is also recommending this one over the G is a big vote of confidence to me. A .01mm difference is approx the same width as a sheet of plain copy paper, it doesn't sound like much but once you stack two (a bit less in this case) sheets together and imagine the additional circumference it would create, it does make a visual difference.

redfalconx

Rough_Rock
So here are the images of the setting IDJ likes. They said it's exactly like the JA one, but the diamonds are bigger in the halo.

IDJ setting:
0.18 ctw
12 diamonds
1.7-1.8 mm
14k white gold

For comparison, the JA setting:
0.1 ctw
16 diamonds
1.7-1.9 mm
14k white gold

s1_0.jpg
s2_0.jpg

Should I ask if they do a lifetime guarantee? I couldn't find it on their website.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm. Wonder if 1 pointers is too big for your halo. My halo is 1/2 pointers. I just wonder if those my be more proportional

redfalconx

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to let you all know that JA just got back to me with idealscope images of those diamonds. Here's what they said:

"We've also arranged for these diamonds to be inspected by one of our graduated gemologists and the they found diamond 1536486 (0.43crt F SI1) to be your best option. It has great, balanced light performance and has an icy white "F" color. Lastly, its cloud blends and you should view this diamond as completely eye clean.
Diamond 1536355 (0.45crt E SI1) is very bright and has comparable light performance to diamond 1536486. It possesses an icy white "E" color, and even though its inclusions are dark when viewed under magnification, the diamond should appear eye clean.

Diamond 1536601 (0.44crt H VS2) is eye clean and equally bright to your other options. Its "H" color has some warmth to it and you would likely see the color difference if you saw these diamonds side by side.

All three of them are beautiful and have great fire, brilliance, and scintillation. Not one of them is a bad option; however, I encourage you to move forward with diamond 1536486 since our gemologist favored it the most. As an eye clean SI1 diamond, it's a fantastic value and I believe you'll be happy with its icy white color."

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks for all your help, everyone! You're making this process much less stressful.

1536486id.jpg

1536355id.jpg

1536601id.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find that kind of funny that they are recommending against the H stone because of the color! That is a grade higher than the one we are looking at at IDJ! I wish they'd give the merits of each stone and refrain from making a recommendation based on something like color when H color is totally acceptable.

I am picky on color and clarity, but I have to say I'd still go over 5mm just because every bit counts in a diamond this size. In a way, I feel like IDJ should be able to get you a H SI1 considering we were able to match you up a H VS2 stone and setting within your price parameters at JA. I think I might ask them to see if they can do that since that was the lowest color you had on hold at JA.

I am not sure how I feel about the setting. I guess the IDJ one will be okay. I know that there have been good reviews on Gabriel and Co and I had more confidence in the quality of those.

But I am betting they are making more off of their own setting as opposed to Gabriel, so I would try to get the diamond bumped up to H SI1, GIA XXX, and 5mm included in the price you have been quoted.

redfalconx

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1357241064|3346510 said:
I find that kind of funny that they are recommending against the H stone because of the color! That is a grade higher than the one we are looking at at IDJ! I wish they'd give the merits of each stone and refrain from making a recommendation based on something like color when H color is totally acceptable.

I am picky on color and clarity, but I have to say I'd still go over 5mm just because every bit counts in a diamond this size. In a way, I feel like IDJ should be able to get you a H SI1 considering we were able to match you up a H VS2 stone and setting within your price parameters at JA. I think I might ask them to see if they can do that since that was the lowest color you had on hold at JA.

I am not sure how I feel about the setting. I guess the IDJ one will be okay. I know that there have been good reviews on Gabriel and Co and I had more confidence in the quality of those.

But I am betting they are making more off of their own setting as opposed to Gabriel, so I would try to get the diamond bumped up to H SI1, GIA XXX, and 5mm included in the price you have been quoted.

Well IDJ said the I SI1 was really the diamond they recommended. I mean I guess I could ask, but I feel like they would've let me know about any others that would've worked for me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They have access to thousands of diamonds from suppliers within blocks of them. They can get anything you want. You don't have to settle for the couple they might have on hand.

Boogins

Rough_Rock
Hello!
I thought I might add my two cents here. :) My sister in law has a size 4ish finger and a 3/4 ct h&a cut round solitaire. It looks beautiful on her hand, but in no way does it look too big to my eye...it is really proportionate, actually. So what I am trying to say is that I think you should definitely shoot for the biggest diamond you can afford and not get too hung up on carat weight vs finger size. Plus, even the more low key girls like finger coverage. Just because a girl is a simple dresser or has a relaxed personality does not mean she wouldn't enjoy a larger center diamond. Having said that, I think the road you are going down now is worlds better than the first two rings you nked, so. I'm sure it will be beautiful!
As far as settings go, I think 1/2 pointers (as in the JA) setting will be a better fit for the stones you are looking at. I also think the JA setting profile is a little sleeker and more graceful than the IDJ. I think IDJ does a better job with setting heights and claw prongs, though, so if it were me I would go with JA and specify that I want the diamond set very tight to the halo and that I want teeny tiny claw prongs if possible. I have seen them accomplish this, but it seems that you kind of have to ask for it.
Good luck and you are doing a fabulous job so far! I'm sure she will love it!

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
redfalconx|1357228671|3346292 said:
So here are the images of the setting IDJ likes. They said it's exactly like the JA one, but the diamonds are bigger in the halo.

IDJ setting:
0.18 ctw
12 diamonds
1.7-1.8 mm
14k white gold

For comparison, the JA setting:
0.1 ctw
16 diamonds
1.7-1.9 mm
14k white gold

s1_0.jpg
s2_0.jpg

Should I ask if they do a lifetime guarantee? I couldn't find it on their website.

I think the halo from IDJ looks great. I do not think it will overpower your stone, just give you some more bling factor :love: I would specify to them that you do not want a gap between the halo and the diamond and that you want it to be a tight fit.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Since all three JA stones came back with good reports, I think that I would go with the H SI1, it's better color and will face up as large as the I that IDJ recommended, plus they have the setting that you really liked, which I also think is a better option than the IDJ, we have seen that same setting posted here several times and it appears to be a nice quality.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i dont know, i feel like IDJ will use a better melee than the james allen stone. I would ask them if you could get 1/2 pointers in the melee though. I think i like the IDJ better. especially when looking at it in terms of the size your buying.

_2799.jpg

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
IMO, I'd go with the IDJ stone and setting. I also have no concerns about 1 pointers versus 1/2 pointers. A 1 pointer is about 1.3mm in diameter to your 5mm stone, I think that's fine. A 1/2 pointer is about 1mm. 1/2 pointers will give a very refined look, but that gets you into true micropave work, and you've got a $1,500 budget, which is not a Harry Winston micropave budget. I think in CAD/cast 1 pointers are common, and will be fine. You were originally looking at more of a cluster look, not the very delicate HW style of halo.

redfalconx

Rough_Rock
So it sounds like there are four main points of advice. Am I right?

1. IDJ stone and setting, as is, but ask for a tight fit.

2. IDJ stone and setting, but ask for 1/2 pointers and tight fit.

3. IDJ setting and ask for a new stone.

4. JA stone and setting, but ask for tight fit and teeny prong claws.

In terms of the setting, IDJ said that it would look like the JA one, aside from the number and size and stones in the halo. I had assumed this meant the cutlet would be exposed.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
redfalconx|1357301921|3347013 said:

In terms of the setting, IDJ said that it would look like the JA one, aside from the number and size and stones in the halo. I had assumed this meant the cutlet would be exposed.

I would go with #1. I don't think IDJ is going to stear you wrong. As Milton said 1 pointers are not going to overwhelm your stone. I think it will be beautiful. And it sounds like they are willing to take a return so worse case scenario you have to return it; although I think you will be thrilled with it. I think the I diamond you posted from them looks gorgeous.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redfalconx|1357301921|3347013 said:

To your first two questions yes id ask them ti make sure there isnt a gap and just ask if they are able to make them 1/2 pointers. If they arent I think itll still be good. id also just make sure to ask if thry can do delicate claw prongs. That woukd be great if they could I also dont think you need a bew stone I like that I And if its eye clean I really dont think you need to change the color.

As for JA I really dont think youll be able to make any changes to that setting and stay in budget.

As for the culet at the boottom, it should , and you can ask them, ut you might not get that effect with a stone that size. I can say from experience as I have a setting like that its neat ifyou have it but it really isnt seen that often.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I would go with option 1 or 2. Stick with IDJ.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I would go with option 1 for sure. I don't think 1 pointers will overwhelm your stone and if they use 1/2 pointers in that setting, won't there just be more metal in the halo showing? (Or maybe it's an easy adjustment, I really don't know...)

I also think that IDJ uses awesome diamonds for their melee and you can't beat their prices. I have 3 pointer jackets and man do those things sparkle. IDJ also does perfect claw prongs - if you go with them, make sure you ask for those type of prongs.

Either way, I think you'll end up with a gorgeous ring, but IDJ just seems like the better option with your budget. Good luck!

redfalconx

Rough_Rock
Hey all, thanks for all your quick responses. I am hoping to make the order today, so all your prompt replies are greatly appreciated!

I asked IDJ about the claw prongs and the exposed culet. Here is what they said:

"I can do the claw prongs for you. However.. Please note the picture on the james allen site is just a cad mock up. In order to see the culet I have to set the diamond really low and that would not look good from the top view. I will do my best to make both worlds happy."

I think they'll try to make something as close to perfection as they can with all that I'm asking. Also, they said that smaller stones in the melee would show more metal. So I'm fine with 1 pointers.

Unless there are any other suggestions, I'm going to go ahead and make the order in a couple hours. Thank you all so so much!! I don't even know how I can ever thank you enough.

Boogins

Rough_Rock
Ok, I came back to check on progress and I have to say that everyone is probably right about going with IDJ. You will prob get a better or similar product for less money, plus their customer service is better. I think you are in good hands with IDJ. You have to come back with hand shots. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results