shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help: halo hesitation!

redfalconx

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I came across PS in my quest for the right ring. It's a wonderful site. So far, I've seen two rings in person that I like. Here they are:

http://www.helzberg.com/product/1-3ct+tw+diamond+engagement+ring+1794233.do?sortby=priceAscend

http://www.robbinsbrothers.com/Engagement-Rings/Ring-With-Sidestones/Robbins-Brothers-i48760.ring

The photos online don't do justice to their beauty. I love these settings with no diamonds on the band, which doesn't seem to be all too common. I'm looking for something on the smaller side because her fingers are tiny, probably a size 4. I'm leaning towards the first one because it sparkles more, which is what matters to me the most, more so than center diamond size. What does everyone think of these two? Could I do better? Any advice?

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Of those two settings, I prefer the 2nd by far. What is your budget?

redfalconx

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick response!

My budget is $1,500.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree a .5 ct is probably a better option than a cluster ring. Unless that's what she wants of course

SB621

Ideal_Rock
nielseel|1356619952|3340683 said:
I agree a .5 ct is probably a better option than a cluster ring. Unless that's what she wants of course

+1

If you do a solitare it will give her options for wedding bands or stackers to give her a more blingy look.

Plus you can always halo the solitare down the road on a special anniversary.

In my honest opinion cluster rings are not good engagment rings at all.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want a cluster ring, I will totally agree that the one that Julie posted is superior in beauty and quality to the two you posted.

But I would prefer the half carat solitaire that could be reset into a halo later.

redfalconx

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help and advice, everyone! I really appreciate it.

I think a halo setting is really what she wants. I like the Brian Gavin one posted, but I think she likes the center raised a little as well like the Helzberg and Robbins Brothers ones.

I can't believe how quickly everyone found everything to help me out. I am so grateful.

Do you think there's anything out there that matches what I'm looking for?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

redfalconx

Rough_Rock
Oh I like that too! Does anyone know of pictures of this setting anywhere?

Now, would it matter that the halo diamonds are color G-H and that center stone is color J? Would it look off?

Also, that would put me a little over my budget. I'm looking at some of the other options James Allen has, but I'm so lost here. The H&A look nice online, but I have no idea what'll sparkle to the naked eye.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Ok so she wants a halo...but how does she feel about a cluster ring???? I personally LOVE halos, but I really dislike cluster rings. I would definitely ask her.

With your budget- how do you feel about buying off of the secondary market?

There are several halo and cluseters on JBEG for under $1550

http://jewelsbyericagrace.com/antique_vintage_and_reproduction_rings

SB621

Ideal_Rock

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I would definitely NOT get her a cluster ring unless she's expressly stated that it's what she wants.

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ooh, nice find, Sarahbear! That emerald cut is beautiful.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redfalconx|1356629565|3340811 said:
Oh I like that too! Does anyone know of pictures of this setting anywhere?

Now, would it matter that the halo diamonds are color G-H and that center stone is color J? Would it look off?

Also, that would put me a little over my budget. I'm looking at some of the other options James Allen has, but I'm so lost here. The H&A look nice online, but I have no idea what'll sparkle to the naked eye.

I think it ended hp about 1545 didn't it? Also I think a ps discount applies to settings too. Is your budget a strict NOT OVER 1500$??

Also you wouldn't have to go hearts and arrows at that size. I just didn't have time to find you an excellent cut h stone. Definitely look though, you'll just have to make sure it has an hca score under 2 which is a calculator you can find on here under tools

SB621

Ideal_Rock
cygnet|1356630383|3340823 said:
Ooh, nice find, Sarahbear! That emerald cut is beautiful.

Thanks Cygnet! I have to say I LOVE this ring. Step cuts are really growing on me.

OP - JBeg does an interest free lay away plan. So you could put down at least 20% and then they give you several months to pay off the rest. Plus like I said before you can always ask them if the price is flexbile. I would really look at their options. As someone already stated unless your GF has specifically said she likes the cluster ring I would go with something else.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
The examples that you linked are of cluster rings, not halos, so if she has asked for a 'halo' then she may be disappointed. I really like the idea of the JA halo setting with a .5 center stone. I did see a few options there in your price range or very close. I would consider a SI1 or eye clean SI2 as well, though eye clean SI2's are harder to find. James Allen will provide you with up to three ideal scope images and their gemologist will check the stones performance and eye cleanliness for you as well. They also have an excellent 60 return period and upgrade policies should you ever decide to upgrade the center stone. Before you make a purchase though, I would make sure that she understands the difference between cluster and halo style rings.

redfalconx

Rough_Rock
Thanks, everyone. It looks like I have a lot of work to do today.

I'm not terribly comfortable with the secondary market idea, though some of those look beautiful.

She doesn't know this is coming, but I know her style well enough to know that cluster is not really to her liking. But the more sparkly, the better.

So I think I'll be looking at the JA diamonds to see what'll be best in that setting. If H&A don't matter, what is most important at that size? I'll use the hca tool, but I don't really know what I should be focusing on the most.

Thanks again!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
redfalconx|1356631747|3340838 said:
Thanks, everyone. It looks like I have a lot of work to do today.

I'm not terribly comfortable with the secondary market idea, though some of those look beautiful.

She doesn't know this is coming, but I know her style well enough to know that cluster is not really to her liking. But the more sparkly, the better.

So I think I'll be looking at the JA diamonds to see what'll be best in that setting. If H&A don't matter, what is most important at that size? I'll use the hca tool, but I don't really know what I should be focusing on the most.

Thanks again!

Since you don't seem comfortable with the secondary market (total shame as it is GREAT value) I would say just give us your requirements and let us give you options. We know your budget...which I'm guessing is firm? What shapes does your lady like? Are we still trying to do a halo?

I'm glad you realized that a cluster ring is really not a gret idea for an ering. A RHR I doubt so many of us would have said much against it but for an ering you should really go classic.

- So what shape?
- I'm assuming we are doing white gold?
-Solitare? I love this and then you can add a halo later on if you like.

redfalconx

Rough_Rock
I swear this is the most stressful thing I've ever done. You all are helping me out so much! It eases some of my stress. Thank you!

So to answer some of the questions:

Round shape.
Size of diamond matters much less than brilliance, fire, sparkle, etc. (I don't really know the terminology. Sorry!)
White gold.
Halo.
Budget is $1,500. I'd really like to stay under that.

I really like the JA setting: http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/pave/-18k-White-Gold-Pave-Set-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-17155w14.html

It seems simple and elegant. Exactly what she likes.

I like the idea of something under .5 ct because her fingers are tiny, and I don't want it seeming big on her. That said, I don't really know how big it'll be until I put it on her, I guess.

redfalconx

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1356635336|3340884 said:
This one is $798 and as small as I would consider:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond-1536601.asp

And I do like H color and VS2 clarity over I SI1.

This is what it would look like:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/sold/pave/8540/Diamond-Ring.html

That's a beautiful stone. Does everyone agree that's the best diamond I can get within my budget? (a diamond under $850)

Thanks so much!

Or should I really splurge and go for this one? http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-SI1-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond-1542939.asp

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
is it you who reserved that?
I say yes to the I

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results