shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help: GF wants big rock, I want eye-clean nice rock

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Professor

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your comments. The only other thing she states was no colored stones... so the diamond has to be a diamond and as colorless as possible. The one thing most of you said is that if she wants a big stone, you should get her one even if it goes against everything on this site :). I think one with an upgrade policy might work for me. I''ll keep reading and if anyone has any other suggestion and I truely thank everyone for their input. By far, I like http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1060 the best... but has anyone had success or problems with their website?

Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am betting there is no upgrade policy on most antique diamond rings, so I''d check that out carefully. I really, really recommend that you educate her about diamonds before making this purchase. Most of us changed our preferences completely regarding diamond quality once we learned about them. I''d never be happy with a M SI2 good cut unless it was a famliy heirloom piece. She needs to read through the GoodOldGold tutorial on the 4 C''s and then take her to see color, size, etc. She really needs to understand the trade-offs she''s be making asking for a 2 ct. on a budget that is more suited for 1 ct. or less.

Professor

Rough_Rock
Ok, here''s one more that I like: http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1034
The one thing I want to check out is whether this is a good vendor...

I like the loose stones, but these complete settings look like a great way to get a good ring and stone in the same place.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Anique settings come in all shapes and designs.

So why not do some window shopping at a couple of B&Ms, so you have an idea of the kinda thing she likes. Also consider if the design would fit well with a wedding band.

You could ask the jeweller to show you diamonds of different color and clarity....that way she would be making an informed choice of what she really likes.

When you are spending this kinda dosh, you want to make sure you get it right! If you know exactly what she wants, it will take the pressure of you to make the right choice.

Blod

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know much about cushions or this company, but it looks like a very pretty diamond and ring, also with a GIA cert which is a big plus! Also H SI1 is a nice middleground. Diamondseeker makes some valid points. I think for the budget, if she wants a warm colour, lower clarity diamond it might be doable at that size and budget. However, if she wants as near colourless as possible, great cut etc, something might have to give. We PSers are all about the cut, colour and clarity are important, but not nearly so much as cut. Many people in the real non PS world have been very happy for years with a less than ideal cut, colour etc, so if you see a pretty ring on a website or otherwise that you and your GF love, but it doesn't match up with the qualities that some diamonds have and you can afford it, then why not? As I say I don't know much about cushions, but it looks good to me!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Professor,

Well I think that is a gorgeous to die for ring. It also has good color, and as for clarity you should check with the vendor to see if it''s eye clean. Maybe post the cushion specs on rocky talky, see if you get any feedback on the cut. I don''t recall off the top of my head anyone buying a ring from that vendor since I''ve been I PS, but I vaguely recall a setting. Try to type in the name of the company in the search box, see if anything comes up.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that you might consider buying the stone that you can afford and putting it in a cheapy temporary setting to propose. Then you all can go together and let he pick out a setting she''d like. antique settings have very different looks depending on what era they were made. there are also many reproductions out there if you go with a modern cut stone. you might also take her to some antique/estate jeweler stores to see exactly what "style" of antique ring she prefers as well and giving her a better understanding of color and clarity and what she actually sees with her own eyes.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 9:52:27 AM
Author: Professor
Thank you all for your comments. The only other thing she states was no colored stones... so the diamond has to be a diamond and as colorless as possible. The one thing most of you said is that if she wants a big stone, you should get her one even if it goes against everything on this site :). I think one with an upgrade policy might work for me. I''ll keep reading and if anyone has any other suggestion and I truely thank everyone for their input. By far, I like http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1060 the best... but has anyone had success or problems with their website?

Thanks!
look at all the threads re upgrades, FI buying the wrong ring, ''shrinkage'', etc. while most want quality, many also want size and are very disappointed that within weeks they think their diamond is too small. save yourself the grief of her disappointment re size....she''ll want an upgrade very very soon if her expectation is not met. that is why you''re gettinjg the advice that would seem to go against everythin on this site.

movie zombie

Professor

Rough_Rock
I think I have made the final decision to go for weight over every other factor, so now my job is to find the best eye-clean g-k color diamond without significant loss of cut. All the "Antique" looking rings I have found online typcially have a old round cut diamond.. which I''m sure will be hard to find with a very good cut. Are there large supplies of 1.5-2.0 carat very faint colored diamonds with a good cut? Will a "bad" color with a very good cut still fire as much as a D with a very good cut? If I can get a big ring with a very good cut and sacrifice the color in an antique looking setting, I might be sold on this compromise.

Again ladies and gents, I greatly appreciate any help I can get!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 11:55:31 AM
Author: Professor
Will a 'bad' color with a very good cut still fire as much as a D with a very good cut?
Fire and brilliance are not determined by color. You can find diamonds that are the color M for instance that have all kinds of fire. That will be because they have a great cut. Cut is what makes a diamond sparkle and have fire.

Belle, I can't see that link

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I liked the cushion ring you posted a lot, other than one of the prongs didn't look symmetrical to me.

ETA: One more thought. A cushion will not face up as large as a similar weight round stone, so keep that in mind since you are going for size.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2006 7:29:01 PM
Author: Gypsy
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=871486

Would be a GREAT budget friendly stone and it''s BIG.

Or this pear:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=836807

Pears and Ovals are: cheaper than rounds per carat, and have the same, or similar spread as rounds (they have large size in terms of MM).

I''d call James Allen and see which of these two he recommends, call up Phillip Noel and have them stick a head on one of those two settings to accomodate either stone and go from there. Your GF will get a large stone in an antique setting AND an upgrade policy. You''ll get this done quickly and make her happy.

Okay... I''m re-posting this because I think you should definitely take a look at one of the diamonds above.

And I have things to add.

Stay away from cushions, princesses, asschers and emerald cuts. These cuts do not have good spread. In other words, per carat you are getting less mm size.

Ovals (ones with low length to width ratio 1.35 or lower) look a little like cushions but give you MUCH more size. Pears, same thing, and of course, rounds. But rounds are more expensive than ovals or pears.

Now... I am glad you decided to go with size... but if you opt for an inexpensive antique setting (like the dozen or so I posted on page on of this thread) you don''t have to sacrifice Upgrade Policy (James Allen has a good one), or color... and maybe even clarity or cut that much. Because if you only spend 600 dollars of less on a setting (and you are already looking at 8K antique rings) that gives 7000 +for an oval or pear or even round. That''s not a terrible budget for a J or I 1.50+ carat SI 1 (which is eyeclean) or good cut especially if you stick to pears or ovals.

So please, consider what I have said.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 12:03:31 PM
Author: belle
http://www.elmyrservices.net/stonepreview.php?id=96fe00e1e0e6bfe9187740f0835a115a&cid=2

wink has this one available for right at 5k
I would ABSOLUTELY take a look at any of Wink''s infinity diamonds. I have an infinity and it''s beautiful
30.gif
. 1.5ct for 5k if the inclusion/s is/are white is a steal. I''d call and find out what the deal is with this stone for sure. I''d take an eyecleanish 1.5ct ideal cut over a 2ct that wasn''t well cut any day.
Good luck!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Whiteflash: Also great Upgrade policy!

http://www.whiteflash.com/oval/Oval-cut-diamond-2013726.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/oval/Oval-cut-diamond-2409188.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/oval/Oval-cut-diamond-2351850.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/oval/Oval-cut-diamond-1969243.htm

ONE of these, or the James Allen diamonds has to be a good one. Call and ask the two vendors to pull the diamonds and look at them and tell you which one has the best cut and most fire and sparkle. Each vendor will recommend one of their diamonds... then you pick between the two each vendor offers.

Compare the prices for the ovals I've posted to this round... you wil see what I mean I picked mostly only very good cuts J and SI1 or higher for the ovals.

Here's an round of similar caliber: http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-2416687.htm

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually an Emerald Cut usually has a good spread when compared to a round. For example a 1.5 carat round averages 7.4mm, a 1.5 EC around 8 x 6 mm, just out of interest.

C Smith

Shiny_Rock
An M will look yellow to the eye. An I2 will be potentially ugly to the naked eye or have structural issues. I believe I would be personally offended if told I had to buy a 2 carat diamond to make a fiance'' happy but that is maybe beside the point. To make your lady happy, get her the size she wants. To make it right with yourself, buy what your concience requires. For me, that would be a minimum SI2 color I-J. You would be giving her an eye-clean stone and she would have her criterion met as well. I hope this lady makes you as happy as you''ll be making her!
35.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 1:49:13 PM
Author: Lorelei
Actually an Emerald Cut usually has a good spread when compared to a round. For example a 1.5 carat round averages 7.4mm, a 1.5 EC around 8 x 6 mm, just out of interest.

Lorelei... I know there are charts out there that say that... but everytime I compare emerald cuts of similar carat wieght, depth and table to ovals... the ovals are MUCH bigger... I posted this on a thread a couple of weeks ago... don''t recall what thread it was. Didn''t compare them to rounds though. Will have to look into that. Thanks!

The other problem with Emerald cuts though, is inclusions and color show up more easily than a round or oval. Personally for an EC I wouldn''t go below H VS1. And that would have to be a high H.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS C Smith
35.gif

An M won''t necessarily look yellow, warm certainly, but it depends on the viewer and the lab that graded the diamond. There are many fantastic M colours in show me the ring, which aren''t yellow, but show some slight tint. The cape colours do have their admirers, they are not for everyone. In a well cut diamond any colour can be beautiful. Yellow to me doesn''t start until about an O or P grade, however if the cut is good these diamonds still have an unique beauty. Sarita has a fabulous 2 carat M colour Emerald cut, which is in no way yellow, rather has a slight hint of pink champagne to it, sometimes the actual tint to the diamond can be different such as hers.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/14/2006 1:57:02 PM

Lorelei... I know there are charts out there that say that... but everytime I compare emerald cuts of similar carat wieght, depth and table to ovals... the ovals are MUCH bigger... I posted this on a thread a couple of weeks ago... don't recall what thread it was. Didn't compare them to rounds though. Will have to look into that. Thanks!

The other problem with Emerald cuts though, is inclusions and color show up more easily than a round or oval. Personally for an EC I wouldn't go below H VS1. And that would have to be a high H.

Sorry Gypsy I misunderstood - I completely agree that the ovals are the best of the bunch for spread! In my dreams I would love an L or M colour EC of a VVS clarity.....
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 2:00:07 PM

Date: 6/14/2006 1:57:02 PM

Lorelei... I know there are charts out there that say that... but everytime I compare emerald cuts of similar carat wieght, depth and table to ovals... the ovals are MUCH bigger... I posted this on a thread a couple of weeks ago... don''t recall what thread it was. Didn''t compare them to rounds though. Will have to look into that. Thanks!

The other problem with Emerald cuts though, is inclusions and color show up more easily than a round or oval. Personally for an EC I wouldn''t go below H VS1. And that would have to be a high H.

Sorry Gypsy I misunderstood - I completely agree that the ovals are the best of the bunch for spread! In my dreams I would love an L or M colour EC of a VVS clarity.....
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

LOL. Really and L or M emerald?

As for ovals. Oh yeah baby. Bang for buck. You get so much more MM size with ovals than you do with anything else (except pears) for the same money. Love''em. And they really do look like cushions a WEE bit when they are nice and fat.

Here are a couple of oval threads with lovely pictures.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-some-ovals.46298/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bezel-set-oval-anyone.28083/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oval-diamond-in-four-prong-setting-and-sideways.20812/=

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-urgent-resetting-advice-for-my-3-ct-oval.44051/=

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL. Really and L or M emerald?

You betcha!
25.gif
At least 3 carats too
31.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Just poking my head in to say that there was a recent discussion about antiqueengagmentrings.com here:
aer.com setting. Although the thread is mostly about the quality of the REPLICA (rather than the antique or vintage) rings on the site, at least one person was very happy with the company itself. There are other threads too.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow. What would you set that in? I like the 3 carats part...lol. The L or M... depends. If I set it in a yellow gold halo, maybe.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I'd talk to her about it. We're all making a ton of assumptions here. The key is to get what she wants and makes her happy. If you educate her on the 4C's, she may just change her mind. My wife knew nothing about cut and how each of the 4C's could dramatically change the price. After I educated her, her priorities have changed (for the better IMO).

The shape of the diamond is one thing that worries me the most. It's a great recommendation for your situation. Opal or pear shape will look the biggest for the price. However, they're not what people normally think of for e-rings. She may hate the shapes and want the more common round or princess cut.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would set it in white gold to show the tint off nicely, with yummy double prongs!
3.gif
I wouldn't set an EC in YG, just a personal preference as I prefer EC's in white metal, platinum might make the colour look a little " off" but WG having a yellow tint would be just right! I have a new metal craze BTW!
9.gif
There was a ring posted the other day with BABY PINK prongs and basket - it was gorgeous! Had to do a quick threadjack there!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2006 2:21:57 PM
I would set it in white gold to show the tint off nicely, with yummy double prongs!
3.gif
I wouldn''t set an EC in YG, just a personal preference as I prefer EC''s in white metal, platinum might make the colour look a little '' off'' but WG having a yellow tint would be just right! I have a new metal craze BTW!
9.gif
There was a ring posted the other day with BABY PINK prongs and basket - it was gorgeous! Had to do a quick threadjack there!

Argh! It erased what I wrote.

Here are the highlights. You are ABSOLUTELY right! I forgot we were talking about EC''s... I''ve got ovals on the brain. Double prongs are a MUST. And did you see the unplated (according to Julie) WG ring Blueroses posted on page one of the thread? Lilly of Valley ring with a round 2 carat plus K? The finish would be perfect for a N or M EC, IMO. YUM!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
This is a bit of a quandry.....we all (obviously!!) want to help you find the perfect compromise, but I think you have to have a little chat with her b/c her expectations/parameters are simply not possible w/o something really giving. I''d personlly totally sacrifice color over cut--a well-cut warmer stone will still sparkle much more than a mediocre cut colorless stone. And the upgrade-able issue is something to consider too. Perhaps you could call GOG and ask how those M and N stones face up. And there were several JA and WF stones that Gypsy posted as well.

I like BOTH of those rings from antiqueengagementrings.....and the cushion has a decent l/w ratio that could make it look big enough, though cushions aren''t known for their spread unless they''re shallower.

So....if we bring the carat weight ceiling down I bet we can find a well-cut j or k, but not at 2 carats. Hmmmm......Still thinking over here.

laila

Shiny_Rock
Hi Professor! I am just going to chime in here and agree with blueroses and diamondseeker who said they thought you should really talk to her prior to making the purchase. It sounds like she knows nothing about diamonds right now, as most people don''t unless they do some research. I think many many of us would have said we wanted something different (i.e. size over cut) before learning how important cut is. I distinctly remember a girl I went to college with who got engaged maybe 15 years ago. When I saw her ring, the diamond was small, but boy was it beautiful and sparkly! I knew nothing about diamonds at the time, but have always remembered just how beautiful her diamond was. Now that I have learned more, I''m guessing it was probably a very well cut stone. And now that I know that it''s the cut that makes a diamond look like that, that''s what I want!!! Whereas before, I wouldn''t have paid hardly any attention to that.

So I know you said you had made your decision to go with size, but maybe if you talk to her about the tradeoff she''d be making, she would change her mind? Just a thought...you know her best, so no pressure or anything...just wanted to throw my hat in on the "talk to her first!" side
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results