shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help: GF wants big rock, I want eye-clean nice rock

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and YUM their two halo settings, one is the bezel set and one is set with small prongs slightly above the halo for a more ''seamless'' transition between the stone and the halo.

both of these rings have a 1c G stone in them so that should help you with visuals.

wf two bezels side by side with sparkles e.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally agree with a halo setting on a round stone because of the ring size. It will help the diamond look much bigger!!!

laila

Shiny_Rock
Yaaay! Sooo glad you talked to her first Professor! I agree that looking into a halo would be a great idea. If I knew that my max size stone was 1 ct or so, I would definitely consider halo-ing the stone, as my ring finger is also larger (approx size 8). Is there any way that you can show her some pics of halos and see if she likes them? I also agree that a round would be a good bet out of the three options you posted, unless you do decide to do a halo, then a cushion could be really pretty! But that wasn''t one of the options that she said was okay, right? Still so much to decide huh?

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Hooray for talking to her...I''m so glad you decided to take that chance. I think she will be greatful when this is over to see the ring you got her since speaking to her.
I like the halo idea as well. A 10 1/2 size is about half the size that I wear (5.25)...I wear a .92 and am always wishing I could have gone a bit bigger LOL I think the halo will do wonders on a finger that size to make a 1ct pop and appear much larger than it''s size. I''d also consider the 1.5ct from Wink with a solataire setting...I think 1.5 ct would be a nice size on her hand too. Good luck with your decision. Please keep us updated
1.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so happy you talked to her... A halo IS an antique setting and it's dainty... and Mara is 1000% right that it will make the most of a 1 carat and her ring size....

Here is an actual antique halo... so you can see how the style fits all her wishes. It's antique... will make a 1 carat look HUGE and you can put a well cut diamond in there... and it would look fabulous on her finger.

http://www.estatediamondjewelry.com/item.cfm?int_item_id=442&cat_id=1

http://www.estatediamondjewelry.com/item.cfm?int_item_id=27&cat_id=1

Eta:

For impact here's picture of a before and after halo.

treysarsringb4nftr.JPG

esp102

Rough_Rock
Wait until she wants the BMW 545 in the driveway and you have to talk to down from that saying how a Honda is a great car and you can get 10 years out of it.

Bella

Rough_Rock
Get her the best ring that you can within your budget.

An engagement ring is a GIFT; if she doesn''t like it, she doesn''t have to accept it. It''s her loss.

Professor

Rough_Rock
After reading the additional comments and doing some research of my own, it looks like an eye clean J-N 1.25 Carat diamond will be what I can afford at this time. I have always liked the Halo settings, so I am going to look further into those and hope that is something that will make the diamond look even bigger. Now I just need the credit card and the right online store or B&M and go from there.

nycgirl

Rough_Rock
I just want to throw my two cents in-I have a 1.5 prong set thin halo, and people think my ring is huge because of the halo, from far away the halo blends with the center stone and it all looks like one big rock, so I think its really a good option to make it look as big as it can!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I second what all the others have said and would definitely go with a halo setting (I like the bezel set one from Whiteflash, that Mara posted).

AND - since there is nothing wrong with a little edumacation
2.gif
here is what GoodOldGold has to say about Clarity Enhanced diamonds:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/classic/clarity_enhanced_diamonds.htm

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 2:10:27 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 6/15/2006 2:08:45 PM
Author: Professor
After reading the additional comments and doing some research of my own, it looks like an eye clean J-N 1.25 Carat diamond will be what I can afford at this time. I have always liked the Halo settings, so I am going to look further into those and hope that is something that will make the diamond look even bigger. Now I just need the credit card and the right online store or B&M and go from there.
Does it HAVE to be a solitaire? What about a 2ct eternity band or higher?
SDL... he talked to her and she''s agreed to a smaller diamond-- whatever he can afford, which appears to be a 1.25.

Professor. PERSONALLY, I would rather have a 1.1 or 1.15 or 1.19 to a 1.25 and stick to G-J color range. Have you called Whiteflash to see what they can do for you... with a halo for your budget? That would be my next move if I were in your shoes.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Professor if you are going to halo it, I''d keep the color no lower than J or so..for a hand ring, because chances are the melee stones used in the halo will be higher color, aka typically F-H or similar, and you don''t want the stone to show too much color against the melee. I have seen J excellently cut stones in a halo with E-F-G stones and it''s FINE...but I would be a little hesitant about haloing a K/L/M/N for a hand-ring. It would probably show a bit of color in the stone against the white halo stones.

I agree that I would go for a 1c G-J stone in a halo over a 1.25 J-N stone in a halo. And yes if you can consider an I1 to keep color a little higher, there are definitely some great ones out there. Check for GIA or AGS certed I1''s and you may get lucky!!

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
why not halo the J VS2 1.5 Wink stone?
I also will second everyone in saying not to go lower than J.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 3:54:59 PM
Author: pinkflamingo
I also will second everyone in saying not to go lower than J.
Sounds good to me!

laila

Shiny_Rock
I agree too Professor! It it were me, I would prefer a bit smaller i.e. between 1.0 and 1.25 with J or better color, versus 1.25 with lower color (not to say that there aren''t gorgeous warmer colored stones out there!). I think particularly if you''re going to halo it you need to think about the color of the stones in the halo, as Mara suggested. I would call WF too! Their ACA melee are beautiful so the halo and diamonds on the shank of the ring would be gorgeous as well.
30.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Wink 1.5 J is fab but it was something like $8500...so I think he wanted to find a stone more around $5k then get a setting for up to $2k. I would still rather halo a smaller stone than get a 1.5c in a simple setting, esp on a size 10 finger. Max finger coverage!!!
9.gif

Professor

Rough_Rock
It is already gone unfortunately. I think GOG has some H&A''s in the J range, so I am looking there at the moment for what I can find. Whiteflash is next on my list to contact.

I also will second everyone in saying not to go lower than J. [/QUOT

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Professor, here is a GREAT option...I would definitely look into this one!!

1.20 I SI2 AGS0 James Allen Signature Series Diamond for $5400 (but you may be able to get a PS or a wire transfer discount)

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=53&item=878790

YUM. If it's eye clean and has good angles, I would SO get that. And I color instead of J to boot.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/15/2006 4:30:08 PM
Author: Professor
It is already gone unfortunately. I think GOG has some H&A's in the J range, so I am looking there at the moment for what I can find. Whiteflash is next on my list to contact.

I also will second everyone in saying not to go lower than J. [/QUOT
I would also advise you not to go lower than J. But a 1.2 stone in a halo setting would be great!!!

ETA: That stone IS still there, but it was above your budget at $8789.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
YAY!!!!!!!! We''ve lured another one to the halo side. Bwahahahah
11.gif
11.gif
27.gif

(Just kidding!)

Professor, this is GREAT!!!!! You will be able to get a facing-up white LOVELY and WELL-CUT stone (I concur with the stick to J and up in order to match the melee and keep things as near colorless as you can) in a FABU blingy setting that will look bigger, whiter, and sparklier than a larger poorer-cut solitaire! YAY!!!

Here''s the I stone that Mara posted. Looks like it could be good--not enough info to run the HCA or a pic, but a GREAT price that would leave you enough for a WF halo setting (or something comparable)

1.20 Carat I-SI2 Ideal- Cut Round DiamondThis I color, SI2 clarity diamond has Ideal proportions, a diamond grading report from AGS and a full 30 Day inspection period.
Price: $ 5,410

Item Number: 878790
Shape: Round
Carat weight: 1.20
Cut: Ideal
Color: I
Clarity: SI2
Certificate: AGS

Depth: 61.8%
Table: 55%
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: 1.2-2.2
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.79*6.85*4.22

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Anyone see this one? It''s 1.21 (6.68x6.71) ACA H&A and with a yummy halo setting *could* push the budget up by just a couple hundred bucks, but my goodness would it look FIERCE!!!!! And it would look BIG w/ a halo....and it''s an H!

Check it out:

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2173438.htm

1.121 carat A Cut Above H&A Diamond

Item Code: AGS-6809604
Price: $5,880.00
Report: AGS
Shape: A Cut Above H&A
Carat: 1.121
Color: H
Depth: 61.5
Table: 55
Crown Angle: 34.8
Crown %: 15.7
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
Pavilion %: 42.9
Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 6.68-6.71X4.12

/images/site/d_lostF.jpg

/images/site/d_lost.jpg

/images/site/d_lost.jpg

/images/site/d_lost.jpg

laila

Shiny_Rock
Ooooh good find blueroses!!!
36.gif
36.gif
I'm no expert, but it looks great to me! The HCA was 1.1 (if I did it right, again no expert here), which is great Professor! Wonder if it's eyeclean?

ETA: And looks like with the PS discount it'd be $5586 (can someone else confirm that for me? don't want to lead Professor astray!)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don''t know about the discount Marta... but WOW... those are two fabulous options there Professor!!! With a halo! AND YUM! They are H-I''s.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Great find, Blueroses! That is a sweet looking stone. Based on the 40x picture, it looks like a really clean SI2.

Here''s another potential stone that is a nice size and within the budget, although you would need to request addional info from Whiteflash to make sure it is eye clean. It is a Whiteflash "Expert Selection" stone.

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-2408706.htm

Price: $4,345.00
Report: GIA
Shape: Round Ideal Cut
Carat: 1.18
Color: J
Depth: 60.3
Table: 57
Crown Angle: 34.5
Crown %: 15
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 43
Girdle: Very Thin to Medium
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.85-6.87X4.14

Grace

Rough_Rock
Hi Prof=) I too have been lurking for several weeks, soaking up info but not talking much. Although I can''t help you with the stone, as far as antique looking--for more rings than you can look at in one sitting go to www.faycullen.com. Beautiful rings, many within your budget! Best of luck, Gracie

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Hi Grace--welcome to PS!

There are actually quite a few faycullen rings posted further back up the thread.....but at this point, after Professor has talked w/ his girlfriend, it looks like she doesn''t actually want an antique STONE.....but definitely the semi-mounts and settings at Faycullen could fit the bill for what he''s seeking!

http://www.faycullen.com/ring_settings.html

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m such a dork. All this talk of halos. Beverly K has halos... and in 18K... last I checked they were reasonable. Beverly K is a designer line that specializes in highquality antique settings. Pearlmans carry''s the line. here is a picture of a halo setting of theirs, that Bill can get... but doesn''t have on his site.... there are others as well, and they can be found on the Beverly K site... but you need a password. Contact Bill for more information on these.

8WR397-A-D-D-M.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
And another... just to give you options... I personally really like the WF ones... but these are in a different style than that one... so thought I''d post them.

8WR388-A-D-D-M.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
GYPSY!!!!!!!! Hold me Mommy, make it stop!!! THAT THING IS GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(the 1st one you posted--the bezel one, not prong)

1) octagonal halo
2) microTEENY pave
3) airline??!!!
= Blueroses breathing into a paper bag. Seriously. I have NEVER seen this and I'm just gobsmacked!!!!!!!
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results