shape
carat
color
clarity

For IndieJones, my antiqueengagementrings.com setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
IndieJones, I promised days ago I''d take closeups of my antiqueengagementrings.com setting, so you could see what I mean about how the casting is not as precise and sharp as it could be. Here they are at last.

wonkyring2.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Another.

wonkyring1.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Can you see how the cut-outs in the side of the gallery (if that''s the right term) are kind of blobby and uneven?

wonkyring3.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
they are cast from molds made after the orignal designs then polished.
The orignals would have been hand engraved and that would cost 20x+ what they charge for them to do today.
Because they are cast the designs arent as sharp as engraved designs.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I know, Storm. That''s what I told Indie. The setting looks very nice from a distance, and the price was certainly right. But she wanted more details about the quality of the workmanship, so I thought I''d post some pictures.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2006 1:20:36 AM
Author: glitterata
I know, Storm. That''s what I told Indie. The setting looks very nice from a distance, and the price was certainly right. But she wanted more details about the quality of the workmanship, so I thought I''d post some pictures.
ah ok.
sorry i must have missed the ealier conversation or didnt recall it.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I know, Storm. That's what I told Indie. The setting looks very nice from a distance, and the price was certainly right. But she wanted more details about the quality of the workmanship, so I thought I'd post some pictures.

I ordered a very similar setting from them once as well and I completely agree with your assessment. I ended up returning the mounting.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Glitterata! I really appreciate you taking the time to do this!
36.gif
35.gif

I see what you mean, the details are a little a little soft and uneven.
7.gif
It looks like they didn''t take the time/cost to carefully detail the ring wax before casting it. It also looks like the shank is a bit thin in spots on the bottom. On the plus side your diamond does look very well set, did they do that or did you have another jeweler set the diamond?

I do worry about the quality since it''s something I''m going to notice. I don''t know where else to send him for nice antique rings in our budget. And it might be a little late to derail my bf on aer.com anyway. On the plus side he seems to be more enamored of the clean architectural style of art deco. So, er, less details to go wrong I guess. And they do get in some nice original antiques in our range from time to time. I suppose if I want a lovely antique-y engagement ring with a nice decent-sized diamond (pref oec) for <$2500, something''s got to give.
15.gif
*sigh*

Otoh, your ring is still a very pretty design even with the slightly blurred details.
5.gif
Guess there''s now a silver lining to my needing reading glasses now, huh?
31.gif

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2006 1:23:46 AM
Author: strmrdr

ah ok.

sorry i must have missed the ealier conversation or didnt recall it.

5.gif
I''ve been posting rings over on LIW, since they''ve gotten used to my obsession and have listened to me wail over the drama of the original antique flower ring aer.com had this winter.
39.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Indie, I didn't mean to say you should avoid aer. I just wanted to clarify what I meant about the blurry details so you could make a more informed decision.

As I said, I'm actually quite satisfied with my setting. It may not be A+ quality, but I'd give it a grade well above passing, and A+ comes at a significantly higher price.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2006 9:18:05 AM
Indie, I didn''t mean to say you should avoid aer. I just wanted to clarify what I meant about the blurry details so you could make a more informed decision.

As I said, I''m actually quite satisfied with my setting. It may not be A+ quality, but I''d give it a grade well above passing, and A+ comes at a significantly higher price.

It''s good to know that you''re satisfied with your setting, and I really really appreciate you taking the time to post the photos for me.
5.gif
The two most important quality bug-a-boos I have are how well the stones are set and casting issues like pitting. Your ring looks well set and well cast, so that really eases my mind on that front. *phew*.

I think that the softness won''t bother me very much on some of their rings, but it will in others depending on the complexity of detail. Two of my top favorite rings could suffer in my eyes from this, particularly since I so badly wanted the original of one of them but someone else bought it as my bf wasn''t ready to look then.
39.gif
*sniffle*
Original:
8036c.jpg

Copy:
8170c.jpg

Other replica:
8284h.jpg

But as I said, I think he''s favoring a simpler, less ornate style which means a higher chance of the replica looking almost perfect in my eyes. (in the end it''s his choice not mine, which I''m happy about 85% of the time)
2.gif

I am wondering if I should ask him to favor the originals over the replicas and hope that something amazing shows up soon. They do have a couple now that I like, but nothing that takes my breath away. Bleh, this is such an emotional rollercoaster.
7.gif
40.gif

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Indie,
I have two of Leigh''s (aer.com) rings. The details on both rings are impeccable. Also, he is fabulous to work with and extremely accommodating. I wear them as RHR; I am going to NYC next month and he is going to size my rings (I waited for my next visit to NYC for him to do it rather than my local jeweler) -- I know I will have to use extreme restraint not to come home with another RHR! I, too, had a three-stone w/ side sapphires that I was dreaming of, drooling over, praying for, etc. Unfortunately, DH didn''t quite get the hint quick enough and it was GONE! But, keep in mind that if a ring you like was not an original antique, he has the molds for most of pieces and can recreate for you. I may have him do that for the one "that got away".

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Here are the two rings.

aer1.jpg

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
thanks headlight, I''m glad to know you like the details on your rings. Any chance of a slightly larger picture of them?
There really isn''t another site with such a consistent number of ring designs I like. But I wish that that most of them didn''t come with mental ''buts'' for me. It''s very frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results