shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval diamond in four prong setting and sideways!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

huisman98

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. I am new to this board but could use your help. I am in the market to buy an engagement ring. I have educated myself as best I can about how to find the right diamond, but I am running into a problem with finding the right setting. Here is my dilema:

My girlfriend loves oval diamonds. However, she really would like to have an oval diamond set in a four prong setting and not a six prong. She would also like to have the oval stone set sideways so it is perpindicular to her finger. Have any of you ever seen something like this before? She found a six prong setting on Blue Nile that she would love if it could be modified to four prongs but I was told by blue nile that they would not set an oval with four prongs and that they have never set an oval sideways before. Here is the ring she found on Bluenile.com that she loves. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

DM36500200_OV_75_zoom.jpg

Morticia

Brilliant_Rock
Set sideways? Huh?
33.gif

Anyway, my best friend has an oval e-ring. It''s BEAUTIFUL and it is set in 4 prongs. It''s set like the ring you atached but with 4 prongs and a thinner, non pave band. Gorgeous... Keep researching.. You can find better deals than Blue Nile. Good luck!
35.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I have never seen anything like that pre-made. My suggestion is to print off a copy of the ring she likes, take it to a jeweler who can make custom pieces and get him to make it up for you. I doesn''t look like it would be too difficult for a jeweler to mount the head east west instead of north south. Maybe someone with photoshop skills can do a virtual rendering for you. Unfortunately, I have no such skills.
7.gif

Good luck to you!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

For the life of me I cannot recall where I saw an oval set E-W orientation--perhaps you could check the ring file on this forum. Anyway, Catherine Zeta-Jones marquise is set this way in an antique type setting and it is gorgeous. If I find somehting later, I''ll post it.

cheers

Sharon

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/1/2004 12:14:20 PM
Author: crankydave

Date: 11/1/2004 10:23:28 AM
Beware ovals in 4 prong heads, especially if they''re platinum. They are very prone to becoming loose or coming out completely.

Dave
Dave has some sound advice here. I had a 2.05 ct D-VS2 Oval set in a 14K WG head. One night at orchestra practice some clown slammed a door on my hand and my diamond fell out of the mounting to the floor. I had to sit through 3 hours of rehearsal with a diamond in my pocket which totally stressed me out. For safety reasons, I always get 6 prongs now regardless of the look.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
I found these two in this thread started by Reena.

The first ring, the diamond was set up and down, i rotated it. Thought the prong and bezel combo might be something to look into. Then just a half bezel. Hope this helps a little!

*edited: the pics didnt show up... let me try again

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Try #2

11166side25.jpg

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/1/2004 10:23:28 AM
Author:huisman98
Hello everyone. I am new to this board but could use your help. I am in the market to buy an engagement ring. I have educated myself as best I can about how to find the right diamond, but I am running into a problem with finding the right setting. Here is my dilema:

My girlfriend loves oval diamonds. However, she really would like to have an oval diamond set in a four prong setting and not a six prong. She would also like to have the oval stone set sideways so it is perpindicular to her finger. Have any of you ever seen something like this before? She found a six prong setting on Blue Nile that she would love if it could be modified to four prongs but I was told by blue nile that they would not set an oval with four prongs and that they have never set an oval sideways before. Here is the ring she found on Bluenile.com that she loves. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Well it is certainly possible to set an oval east-west, however if blue-nile has not set an oval this way before, i would recommend going to a jeweler who has. The setting you posted doesnt seem like something that can''t be found somewhere else, so you might want to try looking in local b&m stores (or more online if you like) for that setting or something similar, and asking if they have had experience setting ovals east-west. Or if you want, you can go totally custom! As for the 4 prong, i''m not sure that would be entirely safe, unless you combined it with a bezel or semibezel as shown above. Another thing to think about is that it seems a lot of east-west styles are becoming a trend, so I guess just make sure your gf thinks she will loves this look for a long time and not get sick of it as it becomes less popular. Oh, and that setting is very pretty by the way! Hope this helps!

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
I think the east - west in pave would look lovely.

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Found these.
oval_pave_diamond_ring.JPG

35%20Oval%20Blue%20Diamond%20Ring_sm.jpg

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, those are gorgeous! The one set with the blue stone looks almost exactly what Huisman98 was describing. Where did you find those?

huisman98

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for your input and pictures. I really appreciate it. The picture of the east/west set blue stone posted by tonysgeko does look a lot like what I was talking about. Where did you find that one? It is amazaing. Thanks so much for taking the time to post. It seems like there are some real concerns about the four prong setting. I will have to really think this over!

reena

Ideal_Rock
i have seen two rings similar to what you describe (although admittedly i cannot recall whether they were 4 or 6 prongs). the first was in an ad by van cleef and arples--i''ll try to see if i can find it. the second one was a ring done by leon mege at artofplatinum.com; it is not on his website but he had just made it for a client and showed me a picture when i was in his office one day. all i can say is, HFS. it was gorgeous. leon is amazing, and i''m sure he could make you whatever you wanted. good luck!

huisman98

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the pics and suggestions. I am going to go to a Jewler this weekend to see if I can get a setting custom made to set the oval east /west. I went into NYC''s diamond district earlier this week to look at settings but was I not very impressed. It was a real pain dealing with all the different merchants.

kfds

Rough_Rock
Since your in their area and plan on going to a Brick-n-Mortar... if you don''t mind making the trip to the South Shore, I''d highly recommend Good Old Gold.

Do a search on Good Old Gold, GOG, Rhino, or Jonathan and you''ll see why.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

40073.jpg

Sharon

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
Well, it is with great sadness that this topic forces me to give up my self-proclaimed title of "Queen of the Pricescope Lurkers."
2.gif

I happened upon two settings today that made me think of this thread, so I felt compelled to post. I have no idea how to post pictures here, but I will give it a shot. In case it doesn''t work, both settings can be found on this page at icestore.com: http://icestore.com/rings/platinum_accent_settings.asp?offset=9
I suspect DA1012 (the second photo) is closer to what you are seeking.
Good luck!

I''m off to see if my fellow lurkers will accept me back into their society...

leogirl

Rough_Rock
What size oval are you planning on getting?

I just recently got my oval e-ring (unfortunately, I''m having a lot of problems trying to post them!? ! - ARGHHHHH!!!!)

I''m asking because I''m having mine reset and I just wanted to get an idea as for how small/how big you should go to set-it in this direction...

huisman98

Rough_Rock
I ended up getting a .70 carat oval center stone to be set east / west. The dealer I used recomeded that I not get anything bigger than a carat because of the way I wanted it set, but the size I purchased was more of a result of my budget and quality vs size. I should be getting the ring on December 17th and will post pictures when I do. Hope this Helps.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Good for you. I''m sure it will look great. I can''t wait to see the pictures.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
oval diamond set east/west orientation is definitely more modern looking. Can''t wait to see the ring

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
I am surprised.

Most people usually ask for ovals to be set across the finger, not down the finger. Your jeweller is right about stone size.

The stone can seated into an oval whole and the setter can push the claws over and you have stabilty come from the sides and also downward. Hard to explain, but setting a stone in the air, without being seated in a base, in a 4 claw, is not going to last.

Yours will be across the finger. That is good as the edges won''t be exposed to knocks and the length of the prong won''t be as long as where the stone is further away from the band.

How high is the diamond going to be set?

Hope that makes sense. It seems your preference in design was also more practical.

Strange that Bluenile did that.

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
The ring is beautiful - she will love it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results