shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help finding Asscher

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

qqq

Shiny_Rock
Ok, finally a pic to post!! Let me know what you guys think.

Carat 1.64
Cut Asscher
Color H
Clarity VS1
Report GIA
Cut Quality Excellent
Price: $9,307.00
Measurements 6.51x6.51x4.46
Length/Width 1.00
Depth 68.5
Table 60
Girdle med-
Culet None
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Fluorescence None

asscherCC1.jpg

qqq

Shiny_Rock
Here is what the vendor had to say about it...

"The cut is truly reminiscient of the Antique Asscher cut (as opposed to a
square Emerald).
Beautiful stone."

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW. Ya know? I pretty much LUV it!
30.gif
36.gif
36.gif
9.gif

ETA: I think the vendor is talking about the deeply clipped corners (more octagonal shape) and moderately sized table.

On second thought: SOLD!
18.gif

qqq

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/17/2006 1:23:08 PM
Author: decodelighted
WOW. Ya know? I pretty much LUV it!
30.gif
36.gif
36.gif
9.gif

ETA: I think the vendor is talking about the deeply clipped corners (more octagonal shape) and moderately sized table.

On second thought: SOLD!
18.gif

Yeah, it looks pretty good to me, and seems like a pretty reasonable price compared to what I''ve seen. But then again, I am as green as they come at this , so I''ll have to wait and see what the "expert opinions" say.

qqq

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2006 1:18:35 PM
Author: qqq
Ok, finally a pic to post!! Let me know what you guys think.

Carat 1.64

Cut Asscher

Color H

Clarity VS1

Report GIA

Cut Quality Excellent

Price: $9,307.00

Measurements 6.51x6.51x4.46

Length/Width 1.00

Depth 68.5

Table 60

Girdle med-

Culet None

Polish Excellent

Symmetry Excellent

Fluorescence None

Bad picture but I call pass.
It looks like there isnt enough return in the culet (center) area.

qqq

Shiny_Rock
Thanks storm. I was going to ask them if they could take some more pictures for me. Is there anything I could tell them to help get a better pic?

qqq

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
don''t use a bright direct light source.
med diffused lighting will pop the patterns with the lense fairly close to provide head shadow.
The black background is a good idea.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/14/2006 7:12:01 PM

Date: 2/14/2006 7:07:02 PM
Author: indecisive
Quest gave us a rough quote of around 2k for a halo ring.
The quote from Leon was for $8300!

Hm... is there a similar setting on the Art of Platinum website? Just curious...
38.gif

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
QQQ,

I sense your growing frustration, I think, and can understand. It seems like when a stone has all of the right numbers and the seller is telling you it is great but then the pic raises red flags, it makes one wonder HOW to wade through the stones with great numbers to find "the one".

The only thing I can think of if that you need to really really really trust your vendor, and I''m not sure I sense that you do. You want to know that they will be your (discriminating!) eyes and tell you NO if it isn''t just right, for what you want.

But I do think that that stone would look fabulous. If it is the right size and price and the additional pics look good/better....

I guess I feel like it could be the right stone for you without being the picture perfect example of an asscher. Peoples tastes and needs (and patience for the search) differ. I bought the first asscher that seemed to speak to me through the numbers and the pics looked good (to me) and I saw it live over the web so got a good feeling about what it would look like in person. Could I have done better? Maybe. Probably. But will I be anything less than ecstatic when it arrives next week? NO! Are all of the stones you are looking at miles better than what you would have found without PS at a mall? ABSOLUTELY YES.

Good luck. Trust your taste!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
With all due respect, and there is plenty due, I think Strmdr is WAY OFF on this one. I think its STUNNING and you will never, ever, ever find one as perfect as that. And would ALWAYS think back on that one as the one that got away.

Purely personal feelings there - but I LOVE it. However much $ it''d cost to have that sent to an appraiser near you and be able to see it & play with it yourself ... I''d pay it!

I, the fellow novice (but current Asscher lover/owner), believe STRONGLY in that stone.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
I think that it does have a nice shape and patterns but I do agree with Storm about the darkness, and not just because he is Storm. I have seen a couple asschers like that in person and they didn''t seem as "alive" and sparkly. It may be the picture but that is how it looks. It depends on what you are looking for in a diamond though. Good luck!

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I like the bright drop type asschers the best (personal preference) so this looks decent, but honestly I would need to see more pix to really make a call one way or another. Even thought the numbers say it's square it looks a bit off to me maybe it's the pic. qqq sorry to hear that you are having such trouble requesting vendors take pix and call in stones. I tell ya I have been perusing/researching this site for asschers for the last 4-5 mos or so and in all the pix of asschers I've seen, no two of them looked "exactly alike".

We will be starting our search soon (in the next few weeks) with very similar specs to the stones you're searching for, I'm a little concerned at some of the issues/resistance you're experiencing please keep us posted and also let us know who seems most coopertive and helpful in your search. You should consider sending this thread to every vendor you email so they can see how many have a vested interest in your search and how your experiences can influence other potential buyers...there are at least 2 people who've chimed in (us included) who are in the market or will be soon. IMHO it would behoove them to offer the best possible customer service in the effort to win not only your but additional customers' business.

qqq

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the comments guys and girls. I have asked for more pics of the stone, hopefully they will give some clarity to the issues in question.

Wallermama... you are correct in your assessment of my hesitation to "really, really, really trust" the vendor. Especially in light of the fact that someone with as much knowledge about asschers as storm, sees something questionable. Being that I am no expert on the matter I have to do my best to determine which source(s) to listen to for the most truth. All other things being equal, the vendor is trying to "sell" me a diamond, storm is not. Therefore, I would tend to lean more towards listening to his advice, as he can remain objective in his assessment, whereas the vendor''s assessment may be biased by his desire to make a sale.

With that being said, I also do agree that what may be the "perfect" asscher for me, may not in fact be the "perfect" asscher by storm or anyone else''s assessment. With my limited experience and knowledge on the subject, I am just trying to take in all the advice, recommendations, etc. that I can, and hopefully make the best decision possible.

qqq

qqq

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/17/2006 4:38:00 PM
Author: cymbrie
Personally, I like the bright drop type asschers the best (personal preference) so this looks decent, but honestly I would need to see more pix to really make a call one way or another. Even thought the numbers say it''s square it looks a bit off to me maybe it''s the pic. qqq sorry to hear that you are having such trouble requesting vendors take pix and call in stones. I tell ya I have been perusing/researching this site for asschers for the last 4-5 mos or so and in all the pix of asschers I''ve seen, no two of them looked ''exactly alike''.

We will be starting our search soon (in the next few weeks) with very similar specs to the stones you''re searching for, I''m a little concerned at some of the issues/resistance you''re experiencing please keep us posted and also let us know who seems most coopertive and helpful in your search. You should consider sending this thread to every vendor you email so they can see how many have a vested interest in your search and how your experiences can influence other potential buyers...there are at least 2 people who''ve chimed in (us included) who are in the market or will be soon. IMHO it would behoove them to offer the best possible customer service in the effort to win not only your but additional customers'' business.
Actually, I think that is a great idea, about attaching a link to this thread in my correspondence with the vendors. Hopefully, it will serve to benefit others in future searches. I will definitely keep you posted as to which vendors have been the most accomodating, and which I have found difficult to get info from.

qqq

qqq

Shiny_Rock
Ok, here''s another one...

asscherCC2.jpg

qqq

Shiny_Rock
And one more...

asscherCC4.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
nuff said....

asscherCC10.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2006 5:01:02 PM
And one more...
that shows it even more.
pass :}

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, boy... these guys really did try hard ... on the pictures.

I still find the first more successful and would still want to see the diamond rather than the pictures. IMO, it is not fair to find defects in images of that quality taken in a uncontrolled light environment
12.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
asscherCC2.jpg

This picture is the best of the lot it shows that what started out as a decent asscher was trashed because:
1: the cutter ran out of diamond rough to finish up the last step on the pavilion at the right angle.
or
2: the cutter closed the culet too soon to keep the depth down.

qqq

Shiny_Rock
Here''s the vendor''s comments:

"Actually the image was taken with very indirect lighting so as not to
overpower the stone.

Here are a couple of images taken as you suggest.

As you can see, the brilliance is all relative to how I position the light
and the lens.
You know, the function of the image via e-mail is really just to show you
the shape of the stone.
There is no way for me to capture the real Brilliance or Fire of the
diamond.
You can depend on my word as an expert in this field that there is no lack
of light return anywhere on this stone. It looks so much better in person."

qqq

qqq

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/17/2006 5:09:33 PM
Author: valeria101

Oh, boy... these guys really did try hard ... on the pictures.

I still find the first more successful and would still want to see the diamond rather than the pictures. IMO, it is not fair to find defects in images of that quality taken in a uncontrolled light environment
12.gif
I hear you. I would obviously like to see the diamond in person rather than pictures, as well. The problem is in the cost of doing this repeatedly. At $40-$65 a pop for shipping/insurance charges, I would rather reserve that course of action for a stone that has shown it''s potential throught the numbers and pics first.

qqq

qqq

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to share my evaluation of icestore.com up to this point. As I posted earlier, my original request for pics was met with some resistance. However, since I assured them of my serious interest in the stone, they have been nothing but a pleasure to work with, and have responded to all of my requests promptly and courteously. Kudos to them for that.

TxBlonde

Rough_Rock
So I assume you are still looking for an asscher? Where are you going to look now?

qqq

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/17/2006 6:36:53 PM
Author: TxBlonde
So I assume you are still looking for an asscher? Where are you going to look now?
Yep, still looking. I am supposed to be getting some pics from thefacetscollection today, and WF has one coming in on Tuesday that they are going to take some pics of for me. Other than that, I don''t really have anything else lined up. I have asked Tim at GOG to help me with my search, so we''ll see if he can come up with anything for me. Luckily, I am not under any kind of time constraints really, so I will just try to be patient and wait to see what becomes available.

qqq

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2006 2:30:56 PM
Author: strmrdr

I just don''t get it. Can you compare it to, say THIS ONE (which has a smaller diameter btw and costs over $12K)

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_56ct_g_vs1_asscher.htm

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the additional pix qqq, honestly something about it just looks off to me can't quite put my finger on it. I would trust storm's eye though asschers are his passion! For me this stone is kind of an ideal template for what I'd like in an asscher, again personal preference. This is RichardAlex's asscher...here's the thread
9.gif

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ascher-aascher-good-to-great.35114/

sigh it's so beautiful I can stare at it all day
23.gif

coolasscher.JPG

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2006 6:54:41 PM
Author: decodelighted
Date: 2/17/2006 2:30:56 PM

Author: strmrdr

I just don''t get it. Can you compare it to, say THIS ONE (which has a smaller diameter btw and costs over $12K)

http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_56ct_g_vs1_asscher.htm

That one has nice patterns and is a quality asscher.
The price could be better but id buy it over the one under discussion anyday.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I saved RichardAlex's asscher and finished ring on my computer. So gorgeous. Don't settle for a less desirable diamond. Good luck!

decodelighted- I see light return on the center of the GOG diamond, even on the idealscope, when the center of the other one, including the tips of the windmills and where they meet, are dark. Thats what I see at least. There is a lot of leakage on the GOG idealscope in other places though.

ETA: It looks a lot more bright and "alive" than the other one to me.

pic1.jpg

asscherCC2.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2006 6:54:50 PM
Author: cymbrie
Thanks for the additional pix qqq, honestly something about it just looks off to me can''t quite put my finger on it. I would trust storm''s eye though asschers are his passion! For me this stone is kind of an ideal template for what I''d like in an asscher, again personal preference. This is RichardAlex''s asscher...here''s the thread
9.gif

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ascher-aascher-good-to-great.35114/

sigh it''s so beautiful I can stare at it all day
23.gif

I love that asscher it shows you how well a drop pattern can look.
I like the wide step pattern a little better but that asscher/setting combo is drop dead kicken.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results