shape
carat
color
clarity

ascher aascher, good to great?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RichardAlex

Rough_Rock
I''ve read a considerable number of posts on ascher and aascher and RA and here''s where I am... help??!!

After searching a number of the recommended sites, and feeling like I have actually gained quite a bit of knowledge from the reading etc that I''ve done, I am really having a hard time figuring out how to finally make the BEST decision. Are there one or two things that stand out more than others as it comes to deciding on an ascher? And what is the best process for actually buying the stone? Buy it, appraise it, keep or return it??? etc..

The diamond below is interesting, and priced at $14,867 at BN, It''s pretty much at the top of my price range...

Carat weight: 1.72
Cut: Very Good
Color: G
Clarity: VVS1
Depth %: 66.6%
Table %: 60%
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Very thick
Culet: Small
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.85x6.77x4.51 mm
Length/width ratio: 1.01

Is it undreasonable to expect to get better depth, less table and more of a square L-W ration for the same dollar amount, or less????

Hate to ask what probably seems like a stupid question, but I''m close to making a decision, and could use some help? How would you go about this start to finish? Could really use advise, tips, etc...

Many thanks in advance.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Richard and welcome to PS
35.gif

With asschers the numbers serve as a guideline. You need to see pics of this stone. You can''t buy one without seeing pictures. Did BN provide you with actual pics of this stone??

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey richardalex
35.gif

the best way to make a decision is to see the stone. square emeralds (asshers) can vary greatly in facet patterning and the looks can be quite different. a picture would be great. you could also have the stone shipped to yourself or an appraiser for inspection.

RichardAlex

Rough_Rock
Thank you. I haven''t asked for a pic yet, however I guess my thought was that I wanted to narrow the number of aschers that I look at and didn''t know the BEST place or way to start. Are the numbers and price sufficient to warrant asking for the pic and perhaps to ship and appraise?

If I ask to see the ascher pic first, and then (in person) or have it appraised, will I need to purchase it and then return it if necessary. Seems like a $ risk, and in terms of the time it takes to process and receive a refund, and then researching and asking for another one to appraise, then returning that one... etc. Again, maybe dumb questions.....?

Regardless, really appreciate your thoughts..!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Take a look at www.goodoldgold.com and see their asschers. I bought my stone from them and can''t say enough about them as a vendor, etc...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
richard,
bn drop ships their diamonds so they wouldn''t be able to get a pic for you before hand. you could certainly have the stone shipped to you for inspection but, yes, you will have to pay for it first. there are vendors here that will bring in stones to their facility at your request to be analyzed. you can get a pretty good idea from the pictures and accompanying data whether or not a particular stone would be worth purchasing.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Richard...welcome!

I do hope you check out the thread linked in Cymbrie''s post. It has a lot of information, and some GREAT pictures which show just how important photos are....ESPECIALLY when considering asschers!

I wouldn''t even begin to think about considering ANY asscher without having seen a picture first. I''m sure most vendors would expect this request.

Good luck, and have fun!
3.gif

widget

RichardAlex

Rough_Rock
Thanks K

I have an e-mail into them and appreciate the suggestion.

RichardAlex

Rough_Rock
Thank you, the post that you forwarded is great! Hope Storm chimes in..!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Richard,
I am sooo glad you are here and Storm will be a huge help to you I''m sure. I have to say again, pictures, pictures, pictures. Ya have to have them in order to make an informed decision. GOG hand picks their asschers and have them in stock. When you see a pic on their website, you are looking at the actual stone, not some sample photo. Jonathon known as Rhino on PS was such a pleasure to work with.

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
The vendors I''ve heard most frequently recommended on PS esp for Asschers are Good Old Gold, WhiteFlash, NiceIce and Engagementringsdirect.com. I''ve been trying to learn as much as I can, in fact my fiance and I probably won''t be in the market for our Asscher until the new year, but from what I''ve seen and read Asschers are one of the most difficult cuts of all and the selection would best be left to the experts. Fortunately for you and me we''ve found PS and I''m sure the "experts" here would be more than happy to help you in your search. You may even be able to get a better stone for less $ consulting with the folks here. Hopefully storm will chime in soon! Oh and when you do find "the stone" send us pix please!
9.gif
Best of luck in your search do let us know what it yields! Check out the topic I started "For the love of Asschers" Storm linked in all sorts of goodies!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/for-the-love-of-asschers.35026/

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Id pass on that one there are enough things just so-so from the numbers to call it.
You have to get pictures to select an asscher.
The advice to work with www.goodoldgold.com or www.whiteflash.com is good advice.
When you get picture post them and we can help verify its a good one.

RichardAlex

Rough_Rock
Thanks all! OK here goes, working on one of three at this point and had to work a bit to get this. Curious as the table proportions are different in the sarin vs the GIA. I was told that the "sarin wasn''t set up for an ascher so take the GIA measurement" Is that typical?

Anyway..Comments appreciated..here goes.

GIA 1.jpg

RichardAlex

Rough_Rock
Picture...

Pcture 1.74.jpg

RichardAlex

Rough_Rock
And sarin...no idealscope available....Really interested in comments. I''m trying to narrow things down to 2 or 3 aschers from which to choose..

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!

Sarin 1.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Richard...how exciting!

It sure looks nice to me, but I''m no expert...just an asscher lover. I''m sure Storm will check in eventually to give you his thoughts.

I''ve just subscribed to this thread so I can follow your journey!

Do you have stats, pics, etc on the other two stones you''re considering?

1.gif
widget

RichardAlex

Rough_Rock
Thanks Widget! I''m getting the pics etc on the other ones and will post soon. I''m not in an incredible rush to purchase, and I do want to make an educated decision...as well as a passionate one!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2005 10:13:22 PM
Author: RichardAlex
Picture...

windmills are 2 small, clipped corners are 2 small and pavilion angles are off.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2005 11:35:45 PM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 10/26/2005 10:13:22 PM
Picture...

windmills are 2 small, clipped corners are 2 small and pavilion angles are off.
i agree --they are uninspiring

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Well Richard I think you came to the right place, Storm won''t let you buy anything but the creme de la creme! LOL

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Richard, get those other pics to us and let''s hope they pass the Storm test, or should I say I hope they are Storm worthy. Glad to hear you''re not in a rush and want to find the best one.
2.gif

RichardAlex

Rough_Rock
Thanks all. One of the amazing things for me is that after the time that I''ve spent in advance on this site, I actually saw some of the same things in advance! More to come!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2005 7:29:18 PM
Thanks all. One of the amazing things for me is that after the time that I''ve spent in advance on this site, I actually saw some of the same things in advance! More to come!!

:}

36.gif

RichardAlex

Rough_Rock
I''ve been looking hard and have come up with another one that seems more promising...! What do you think of this one? Feedback appreciated!!

Thanks!!

PIC_GIA12272369.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mmmm ... me likie!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
very nice pattern! i think it''s a winner!
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Richard, I love it!!! It has an awesome pattern. How many carats is it???

RichardAlex

Rough_Rock
GIA
1.99 ct
G
VS2
D- 68.1
T-62.9
Polish Ex
Sym Ex
Girdle Sl Thk
Culet none
Fl none

Sarin attached!

SARIN_GIA12272369.gif

RichardAlex

Rough_Rock
Idealscope

IS_GIA12272369.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results