shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help finding Asscher

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2006 7:17:50 PM
Author: indecisive
I see light return on the center of the GOG diamond, even on the idealscope, when the center of the other one, including the tips of the windmills and where they meet, are dark. Thats what I see at least. There is a lot of leakage on the GOG idealscope in other places though.

ETA: It looks a lot more bright and ''alive'' than the other one to me.
I see what you mean, but I wonder how much is the dark background vs. light background, the clearly sharper photo techniques of Good Old Gold, not to mention $3K price difference. I dunno if it''s realistic to get a stone that looks like a 13K stone for 9.5K. That said ... if it''s not the one it''s not the one. I''m just interested in how people are perceiving the situation & what aspects different people respond to.

BTW ... I shrunk down the two pix to "actual size" & compared too. I don''t know how to post that comparison, but if someone else does ... it was interesting!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
It is fine if you don't like the GOG one and love the other one. I was just trying to show why I personally liked the GOG one better. A lot of fancies is personal preference, right?
1.gif

ETA: I have also seen some in person that were darker in the center and I think it took away from the whole stone. It is so hard to find nice asschers!

webz

Rough_Rock
:NEWS FLASH:

No one can possibly make any kind of judgement about Brilliance, Fire, Scintillation or the Cut Quality of any colorless diamond apart from the shape of the stone from a still image. An image is a single snapshot in time and does not represent the true visual nature of the diamond which will change from moment to moment, viewing angle to angle and in different lighting environments.

strmrdr: I'm sure that you intentions are genuinely well meaning but intimating that you can make some sort of objective statement/judgement about the qualities of a diamond that you've never seen is a bit ludicrous. This is not an attack against you, as I said I believe that you are well intentioned but even you have to admit that after viewing the (numerous) images that are now available of this diamond that its merits (or at least those that you are capable of perceiving from still images) can be made more or less obvious based on the lighting, the camera angle and the background of the shot.

ICEJ1038C.jpg

Well what do you know....all of that pesky extinction in the center seems to have miraculously disappeared.
23.gif

[Edited as the last part was uncalled for]
26.gif

Kind Regards,

Ariel Friedman
IceStore, Inc.

ICEJ1035C.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
news flash :} funny.
under the glare the dark center is still there.
ones like that are deceptive because with back lighting they can look good but once you get them in a setting they dont get the backlight and look like black holes in the center.

Asschers are all about patterns and a photo is good enough to judge patterns.
Good patterns + good shape + high crown == nice asscher.

edit to add: yes i have seen antique asschers including some period Asscher asschers.

ICEJ1035C1.jpg

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
To follow up with what I said earlier about the right stone for each person...

If it for any reason came down to just those two stones, and I could either pick Door #1 with the GOG stone, or Door #2 with the other stone which came with a bundle of hundreds equalling $3,000, I''d have to go with Door #2. It is so easy to forget how much money we are talking about here! Three grand and a beautiful diamond as well??? If I were your honey, I''d want you to put that extra aside for my fab setting and wedding band. Or a house payment. Or a new shiny bauble for no reason.

But that is just me.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2006 8:37:04 PM
Author: wallermama
To follow up with what I said earlier about the right stone for each person...

If it for any reason came down to just those two stones, and I could either pick Door #1 with the GOG stone, or Door #2 with the other stone which came with a bundle of hundreds equalling $3,000, I''d have to go with Door #2. It is so easy to forget how much money we are talking about here! Three grand and a beautiful diamond as well??? If I were your honey, I''d want you to put that extra aside for my fab setting and wedding band. Or a house payment. Or a new shiny bauble for no reason.

But that is just me.

those arent the only 2 choices.
he has more images coming and isnt in a hurry.
I think he can do better than this one for his budget and wont have to spend 3k more to do it.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
The new images don''t look much better to me. The windmills just fade away with the background instead of standing out. Also you only use that tone when talking to/about Storm, but you are also talking about comments made by consumers that have posted similar opinions. I don''t think that is the smartest or most professional way to act in front of potential customers, but you have that right. It is something that people like myself make keep in mind when we start looking to buy our asschers soon.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m just glad I had Storm''s help in finding my asscher. I got a lot of compliments on it today when I was getting my hair done. I find his knowledge on these stones to be superior and if I were ever to buy another one, he would be the first person I would go to for help. He has a handle on them like no one else.
2.gif

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I do agree, Stormrdr. I certainly didn''t mean to say he should settle. I''m always just blown away by the thousands of dollars of price difference that can exist in two somewhat similar stones. I would never recommend that someone settle for something they weren''t happy with...but some people can be happy with less than perfect. That''s all I was saying :) Kind of like how some gals feel like their inclusions are a pet they have grown attached to, and love that it makes their stone identifiable and unique in a way. Some people find character in things that drive other people crazy.

I can''t wait to see what fabulous diamond will present itself, with this many heads put together! QQQ is lucky to have you all looking out for him!

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/17/2006 9:08:55 PM
The new images don't look much better to me. The windmills just fade away with the background instead of standing out. Also you only use that tone when talking to/about Storm, but you are also talking about comments made by consumers that have posted similar opinions. I don't think that is the smartest or most professional way to act in front of potential customers, but you have that right. It is something that people like myself make keep in mind when we start looking to buy our asschers soon.
Echoing indecisive's comment I was a little surprised at the comments directed towards Storm. Whether an "expert" or not he has helped many many consumers on this board make educated decisions about which asschers to buy. IMHO those who have enlisted his help end up with some of the more beautiful asschers I've seen. Richard Alex would NEVER have found the beauty I posted yesterday had Storm not steered him away from his previous choice. And for those who have seen Kaleigh's RHR it is STUNNING! I for one have every intention of requesting Storm's assistance when we make the plunge, and will certainly take comfort in the fact that any asscher we purchase will be "storm worthy".

qqq keep searching and show us what you find
1.gif

webz

Rough_Rock
ok I was a little condescending to strmrdr but he seems to have taken it lightly and gotten the actual point that I was making.

Let me reiterate for you Indecisive because you seem to have missed the meaning behind my discourse and focused exclusively on the snide question (which I agree was uncalled for and removed).

My point is that no one can make a judgement about the qualities of any diamond based on an image because there are many variables involved with the image that can be manipulated (I don''t mean that in a negative way) that will influence the perception of the stone in the image. Different cameras, different lighting and different angles can produce seemingly competely diffrerent diamonds from the same stone as you can all see from the (numerous) images of this stone which are now part of the public domain.

Here is yet another:
ICEJ1035D.jpg

If Craig is looking for a Square Emerald cut (commonly referred to as an Asscher) then this particular diamond may not be the one for him. However, if Craig is looking for a stone that really approximates the antique style Asscher cut then it probably is.

strmrdr, here is a link to some antique Asscher eye-candy just for you:
Antique Asscher and Step Cut Trapezoid Platinum Ring

Kind Regards,

Ariel Friedman
IceStore, Inc.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ariel,
Is it ok if I call you that?

Im used to vendors taking shots at me and it dont bug me.
its kewl

If that picture had been the first one id have sent him back for more pictures.
There is too much light entering the pavilion.
Asscher pictures are hard so Iv spent countless hours studying so I can tell what is going on with asschers even from bad pictures.
I do feel for the vendors good pictures are hard.
The slightest tilt can distort the patterns and its hard to line them up under a camera but like a rifle peep site the eye/brain does it automatically in person.
The lighting is critical.

The zen of asschers is patterns which is what I look for in the pictures.
If the diamond has good patterns both in shape and internal and a high
crown its going to be a good asscher.
Over 75 happy consumers who iv helped get kicken asschers over the years have proved that my method works.
Have there been times when a decent looking asscher has gotten passed up yes likely, am I pretty picky, yep.

In a setting would this one have a noticeable dark center, yes it would.

An aset image for this diamond would show a blue or black center section from the bottom row of facets being cut at a steeper than optimal angle.
The aset is the kewlest thing to come along for grading asscher patterns remotely that Iv seen.
Until the time they become common well ill just keep on keeping on doing the best I can with whats available.

If your interested shot a picture of the pavilion from the side with the diamond sitting on the table and post it.

Thank you for the eyecandy, the old asschers cast a spell over one that has to be seen and felt to be believed.
If any diamond could have a heart and soul it would be asschers.

edited: moved a sentence up for clarity as too which diamond I was talking about.

callista

Rough_Rock
"If any diamond could have a heart and soul it would be asschers."

My sentiments exactly...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2006 6:27:47 PM
Author: callista
''If any diamond could have a heart and soul it would be asschers.''

My sentiments exactly...
Me too. They are mesmerizing. I can stare at mine forever.

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock

Date: 2/18/2006 6:30:04 PM
Author: kaleigh

My sentiments exactly...
I still remember with astounding clarity the first time I saw a square radiant (what I originally wanted) next to an asscher same color, carat etc. and there was something about the asscher that just blew me away I couldn''t stop staring, it was almost hypnotic how beautiful and how much personality they have. A friend of mine has an amazing 3 ct RB but as beautiful as it is it will never capture my soul the way an asscher does.

WOW storm 75 happy customers served?! Can I be number 76? LOL

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2006 7:04:08 PM
Author: cymbrie

My sentiments exactly...

I still remember with astounding clarity the first time I saw a square radiant (what I originally wanted) next to an asscher same color, carat etc. and there was something about the asscher that just blew me away I couldn''t stop staring, it was almost hypnotic how beautiful and how much personality they have. A friend of mine has an amazing 3 ct RB but as beautiful as it is it will never capture my soul the way an asscher does.

They are awesome arent they?
I love em :}

Someone asked me that other day what the number was and I spent some time figuring it out and its atleast 75.
I am more than happy to help you in your asscher hunt :}

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/18/2006 7:42:30 PM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 2/18/2006 7:04:08 PM
Author: cymbrie

My sentiments exactly...

They are awesome arent they?
I love em :}

Someone asked me that other day what the number was and I spent some time figuring it out and its atleast 75.
I am more than happy to help you in your asscher hunt :}
Awesome thanks Storm
36.gif

qqq

Shiny_Rock
Ok, so I think I found what looks like a "good deal". Here it is: $7500 for an engagement ring on consignment, includes diamond + setting (not interested in the setting), 1.35 ct Royal Asscher. Here's a pic...

Attachments

• royalCC1.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 103

qqq

Shiny_Rock
Here''s the cert...

GIAcertCC3.JPG

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
sounds like a good deal to me.
Will they give you a credit for the setting?

qqq

Shiny_Rock
No, because it''s on consignment I would have to buy the enitre piece. But, I could just put the setting back on consignment and hopefully get some "credit" out of it that way.

qqq

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, QQQ...that looks like quite a find! What a gorgeous stone...and seems like a great price to me, seeing that you may get some $ back on the setting eventually...even better.

Have you seen a RA in person?

qqq

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/20/2006 6:19:54 PM
Author: wallermama
Wow, QQQ...that looks like quite a find! What a gorgeous stone...and seems like a great price to me, seeing that you may get some $ back on the setting eventually...even better.

Have you seen a RA in person?
Yeah, it seems like a really good bargain. I would have expected an RA in that size to be more around the $10k mark. No, I have never seen one in person, but I am looking forward to it
1.gif

qqq

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Is that the one on Pearlman''s? If so, that looks like a tension setting. I know tension setting can''t be re-sized and I thought you couldn''t remount another stone in them (correct me if I am wrong someone!!) so it might be pretty hard to re-sell. Just something you might want check before you count on being able to resell.

039PO13.jpg

hmmm well now that I look at it it does have v-prongs in the corners. I would probably just ask if the setting could be used again, so you know all the facts. Looks like it might be a good deal. Good luck!

qqq

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/20/2006 6:27:00 PM
Is that the one on Pearlman''s? If so, that looks like a tension setting. I know tension setting can''t be re-sized and I thought you couldn''t remount another stone in them (correct me if I am wrong someone!!) so it might be pretty hard to re-sell. Just something you might want check before you count on being able to resell.

039PO13.jpg

hmmm well now that I look at it it does have v-prongs in the corners. I would probably just ask if the setting could be used again, so you know all the facts. Looks like it might be a good deal. Good luck!
Yep, that''s the one. I believe the setting is actually intended for a princess cut center stone, so I think it would be "re-useable".

qqq

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone see any potential problems or issues that would be associated with buying a pre-owned diamond? I''m always a little skeptical of deals that seem too good.

qqq

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2006 7:45:42 PM
Author: qqq
Does anyone see any potential problems or issues that would be associated with buying a pre-owned diamond? I'm always a little skeptical of deals that seem too good.

qqq

A lot of diamonds on the market are on the second and sometimes 10th owner sometimes recut sometimes not.
Have Bill check it for any issues and if there are none then Id have no problem with it.
Asschers are tough so im not expecting any issues.

You could also get a second opinion from an independant appraiser to lay to rest any fears.

qqq

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/20/2006 8:01:17 PM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 2/20/2006 7:45:42 PM
Author: qqq
Does anyone see any potential problems or issues that would be associated with buying a pre-owned diamond? I''m always a little skeptical of deals that seem too good.

qqq

A lot of diamonds on the market are on the second and sometimes 10th owner sometimes recut sometimes not.
Have Bill check it for any issues and if there are none then Id have no problem with it.
Asschers are tough so im not expecting any issues.

You could also get a second opinion from an independant appraiser to lay to rest any fears.
Yeah, I was thinking I would get it checked out by an independent appraiser, just to make sure.

So this one seems "Storm-worthy"?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw that deal on Pearlmans appear a couple weeks ago ... & was suprised it hasn't been snapped up yet. I didn't recommend it to you or Indecisive because you both were looking for larger stones (I thought).

Pscoper Mrssalvo visited Pearlmans recently and Bill Pearlman has a great reputation on Pricescope as far as I know. I contacted him about Daniel K rings in my search and Bill was very helpful. The only drawback in buying a pre-owned stone that I can think of is "bad vibes" from a previous (broken?) union. However, antique stones have histories just the same ... you either are bothered by that kind of thing or not (I don't think I am really.)

Good luck ... let us know what you decide! P.S. - I think that setting could be used again & would def. be better suited to a princess. The Royal Asscher just doesn't look right in there (I bet Pearlmans had nothing to do with THAT combo ... other than agreeing to consign it). If you like the setting, maybe you could make a nice RHR someday with a square sapphire or other stone???

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
looks good to me.
typical RA
Some tilt in the photo but its clear enough.
good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results