shape
carat
color
clarity

My new jadeite bangle!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So it's been a while since I've bought anything but there's been one thing that's missing from my collection and that's a Jadeite bangle.

I've got some odds and ends over the years but they barely had any color and you had to really squint to see the green.

Anyways I started hunting. Much drama! Bangles are expensive!!! Green bangles are very expensive!!!

How green do I want it? Do I want a dead green that's unpleasant but obviously green? Do I buy a nice jelly texture that is insipid? Do I opt for a sugary bangle that will allow me to afford more green? Do I opt for a really thin bangle which will give me better colour and texture but it'll be super thin.

In the end I settled on this bangle. I wanted a fresh green that was obviously green. Couldn't afford super green but it had to be fresh and not "squint and imagine a shade of green" kind of colour. The thing I was happy to trade on was texture.

Bloody vendors from China are shady as heck with their videos though. The color needs to be dialed down severely based on what they show you.

So with all that in mind.....ta da!!!

Ohh it has a certificate from the Hong Kong Gem and Jade lab that Bonhams uses. I figure if it's good enough for Bonhams, it's good enough for me!

PXL_20210303_091032220.jpg PXL_20210303_054509609.jpg

PXL_20210303_051528740.jpg

IMG-20210303-WA0021.jpg

IMG-20210303-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20210303-WA0003.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20210303-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20210303-WA0018.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-20210303-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20210303-WA0011.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 16

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s gorgeous @mellowyellowgirl! I’ve been lusting after a jade bangle for a while, but I have no idea where to begin looking.

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
What a lovely bangle! The shade of green is really pleasing and it looks like a very comfortable fit.

YC

Brilliant_Rock
That's a very cheery green! Out of curiosity, do you have any vendor's photo to share with us? I am very curious how different their photos look.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a very cheery green! Out of curiosity, do you have any vendor's photo to share with us? I am very curious how different their photos look.

Yes I do!!!!

Wait for it!!! They basically backlit the bangle to take out all the sugar and then amped up the colors

Because this bangle has some clear bright green patches that glow in indirect light, they used that effect when taking their photos.

mmexport1613638405172.jpg

My recreation of it

IMG-20210303-WA0010.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Wah! So did they provide more accurate pics when you asked for it?

Anyway yes very cheery green indeed! Nice round princess bangle so congrats!

kimberlyqkim

Shiny_Rock
beautiful! congrats!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wah! So did they provide more accurate pics when you asked for it?

Anyway yes very cheery green indeed! Nice round princess bangle so congrats!

The pictures before they sent it to the lab were plain and "true to life". You would have paid them by that stage though. You can easily swap if you weren't happy with those pictures but I liked the bangle so I didn't mind. Plus I have bought enough to know that with these particular people, the office picture is the accurate one.

mmexport1614327382263.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
So it's been a while since I've bought anything but there's been one thing that's missing from my collection and that's a Jadeite bangle.

I've got some odds and ends over the years but they barely had any color and you had to really squint to see the green.

Anyways I started hunting. Much drama! Bangles are expensive!!! Green bangles are very expensive!!!

How green do I want it? Do I want a dead green that's unpleasant but obviously green? Do I buy a nice jelly texture that is insipid? Do I opt for a sugary bangle that will allow me to afford more green? Do I opt for a really thin bangle which will give me better colour and texture but it'll be super thin.

In the end I settled on this bangle. I wanted a fresh green that was obviously green. Couldn't afford super green but it had to be fresh and not "squint and imagine a shade of green" kind of colour. The thing I was happy to trade on was texture.

Bloody vendors from China are shady as heck with their videos though. The color needs to be dialed down severely based on what they show you.

So with all that in mind.....ta da!!!

Ohh it has a certificate from the Hong Kong Gem and Jade lab that Bonhams uses. I figure if it's good enough for Bonhams, it's good enough for me!

PXL_20210303_091032220.jpg PXL_20210303_054509609.jpg

PXL_20210303_051528740.jpg

IMG-20210303-WA0021.jpg

IMG-20210303-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20210303-WA0003.jpg

Its lovelly mellowyellowgirl
Well done !
It matches you ring rather well
Enjoy it !

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
So pretty, mellowyellowgirl! i agree with everyone, it suits your ring so well. And they say our jade finds us, so the pieces we buy are meant to be.

I realized after recent experiences that it’s actually not a bad move to go for a larger bangle. Recently I had a really bad swollen left wrist and had to have an x-ray. The tech asked me to take off the bangle but my wrist hurt too much. Thank goodness I was wearing my biggest 57 cm bangle that day (I’m a 53-54) so I could push it up enough not to obstruct the x-ray. Imagine wearing a tiny wrist hugging bangle and needing to have emergency wrist surgery, I think they would have to cut it off! o_O

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
It's so pretty! I love your bangle's shade of green. It seems so difficult to find a green that doesn't lean too blue/grey/brown/washed out, and yours is such a great find.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@peacechick yikes!!!! Yes there is something comforting about being able to take it off!!!

I was reading on another site about a vendor who took 30 minutes to get a bangle onto the client. It was a beautiful bangle but it was tight!

@MissSarah thank you! The beauty of Jade is you can keep looking until you find the shade you like in the texture you like! I'm so happy with this green. It's my "happy place" green.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s very beautiful.
though I still have no idea how you judge the value of Jade.
sure, I can see why those imperial green bangles are hundreds if not millions of dollars but everything else? ! ?
I had to settle for buying what I thought was pretty without being devastated if it was grade C, serpentine, dyed Quartz or just good old glass!
I almost pulled the trigger on a beautiful $7,000 bangle but its one thing to spend $200 on a bangle worth $20 than spending $7,000 on a bangle worth $20.
so I went with the $200 one.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry and another question, I’m wearing mine on my right wrist, is it supposed to be on my left one?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Bron357

I can post a few links to a few sites so you can see how much they charge for each bangle. I find it very helpful to do that. After a while you know or can deduce why X bangle is more than Y bangle. It was what I did in order to determine my budget and expectations.

I think the wrist thing is personal preference. I suspect most right handed people would do more work with their right hand so the bangle might be less likely to clang on things if you were it on your left.

My left hand is very flexible and I can slide up to a 52mm on comfortably without soap. Not true for the right hand which doesn't seem to bend or contort as much!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry and another question, I’m wearing mine on my right wrist, is it supposed to be on my left one?

According to superstition, you’re supposed to wear it on your left hand as it’s more connected to the heart and also you use it less so it’s “cleaner” (whatever that means). But since we’re modern people we can wear it on any wrist we like. I’ve tried both and I found myself knocking the bangle a lot more on my right so now I pretty much only wear on my left unless I feel like wearing two.

So apparently, if you want to wear two, you should wear one on each wrist, and only if you wear three, you can stack two on one wrist. Once again, that’s just the superstition.

I don’t know much about buying jade which is why I only stick to vendors in Singapore that offer Nanyang Gem Lab certificates. That way I know they are genuine. I have tried chatting to the FB lady and sitting in on livestreams but it’s really a lot of mental capacity to keep up with the fast moving nature of these sales. So I know I’m not getting great deals but it’s okay, I’m satisfied with what I have. That said I do check out Kathy Jade when it’s on sale, IG sellers, etc.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@peacechick plzzzzzzz post pictures if your bangles!!!

Plzzzzzzz

I'm in such bangle mode these days

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
@peacechick plzzzzzzz post pictures if your bangles!!!

Plzzzzzzz

I'm in such bangle mode these days

My bangles =)2 Leftmost is nephrite, the rest are jadeite. All bean quality, I haven’t worked myself up to get an icy translucent one yet.
677E18A0-020D-4E20-B6CC-31048AA92C5F.jpeg

Today I am wearing my lavender bangle. It’s purple all the way around except for a streak of moss green that made the price good for me. :razz:
38924C12-CFE6-4266-AE32-922B782A9E0F.jpeg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
My bangles =)2 Leftmost is nephrite, the rest are jadeite. All bean quality, I haven’t worked myself up to get an icy translucent one yet.

Today I am wearing my lavender bangle. It’s purple all the way around except for a streak of moss green that made the price good for me. :razz:

So jelly of your purple! I also want a purple one sigh

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@peacechick I've perved at sooooo many icy with colour and I think mentally I'm not ready to pay the price yet. Don't get me wrong I think the price is correct but it's just A LOT more than what I'm ready for right now.

Do you think you'll get one, one day?

I told myself "Oh I'll get a nice colour that I like and stop at one" but I'm kinda lured in already.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excuse my ignorance but what is “bean quality” ?
Is it bad to wear two together? I tried mine together but the clinking makes me wonder if it might damage them, though the sound is actually rather pleasant.
And yes, I would dearly love a lavender one but.......

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to know if the metal bangle will scratch the Jade?

I have a rose gold bangle that would look adorable with the Jade bangle!

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I do!!!!

Wait for it!!! They basically backlit the bangle to take out all the sugar and then amped up the colors

Because this bangle has some clear bright green patches that glow in indirect light, they used that effect when taking their photos.

mmexport1613638405172.jpg

My recreation of it

IMG-20210303-WA0010.jpg

Thanks!! What difference the photography tricks can do! It does make the grains look smaller. I still do not have courage to buy jade from the China vendors for this reason.

YC

Brilliant_Rock

Bean quality or not, your lavender bangle looks good

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks!! What difference the photography tricks can do! It does make the grains look smaller. I still do not have courage to buy jade from the China vendors for this reason.

Haha yes but for the price I paid I thought small grains were too good to be true anyway so when I saw it I was like: Ahh so there is the catch!!!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Haha yes but for the price I paid I thought small grains were too good to be true anyway so when I saw it I was like: Ahh so there is the catch!!!

Wah now I’m curious how much you paid if you don’t mind sharing. Also which vendor?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results