shape
carat
color
clarity

My first thread in this forum!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2008 3:56:30 PM
Author: CrownJewel
Hi Harriet. Sorry I''ve been MIA for a few days. Studying for a big exam on May 10th. Eeek.

LOVE that pink gown. I personally would get it floor length, but that''s just because I''m short and have disproportionately large calves, so anything midway btwn knee and ankle makes me look even shorter. If you don''t want floor length...go for right under the knee. That''s elegant and flattering, no matter what height you are.

The white would look so amazing with your tsavorites.

I wish I could go shopping with you ladies! But I have to study too. Scarlet, good luck with exams and the bar (what is barbi? a nickname for the bar? or is it the other way around?). Are you taking just NY or multi-state? I have lots of lawyer friends and they all made it through the bar alive...so just buckle down and bear it!!!
No worries. Good luck on your exam!

I''ll have them pin the gown at different lengths, so that I can see how it looks.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2008 5:10:44 PM
Author: scarlet16
Sorry to threadjack Harriet. CJ - Barbri is the 2-month super intensive bar review course (a la princeton review or kaplan). I''m ''just'' (understatement of a lifetime) going to take NY. I was going to take NJ also but the post-bar work is ridiculous and not worth it, plus the firm I''m going to doesn''t really care.
No problem. The NJ CLE classes are a pain, so unless you think you might practise in NJ, there really is no point.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2008 5:15:42 PM
Ok Harriet...and for you I have this dress. It is a little different but it could be super gorgeous (but it''s not short)! And it''d go w/ your tsavs...
It is gorgeous. Where is it from? Incidentally, I went to Carolina Herrera and Vera Wang today. There are 2 possibilities at the latter, but we like the pink one best.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2008 5:23:59 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Harriet, I tried on the most stunning Laundry dress the other day at Bloomingdales - it had a shape like this one link, but it was full length, and it was in this stunning print - on a white background with large, soft, pink and pale orange florals. I can''t find it anywhere online, but it was out-of-this world in person - incredibly flattering and ethereal and lovely. Possibly worth browsing at Bloomie''s or giving them a call to see if they have it.
Thanks, AmberGretchen. I''ll pop by Bloomie''s tomorrow, but I doubt I can carry off that neck line.

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/26/2008 6:27:11 PM
Author: Harriet

Date: 4/26/2008 5:15:42 PM
Ok Harriet...and for you I have this dress. It is a little different but it could be super gorgeous (but it''s not short)! And it''d go w/ your tsavs...
It is gorgeous. Where is it from? Incidentally, I went to Carolina Herrera and Vera Wang today. There are 2 possibilities at the latter, but we like the pink one best.
Badgley Mischka Platinum Line from Saks.

I think the turquoise dress (of the pink version) would go well w/ your tsavs!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw that dress yesterday. It''s a pity that it can''t be shorted without losing all that wonderful blue. Yes, I like the turquoise Marchesa too.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s the Marchesa in white.

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/26/2008 9:56:47 PM
Here''s the Marchesa in white.
Oh, Harriet...that is beautiful! Do you want something "different" and non-traditional, like the pink or turquoise though?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
The pink is lovely, isn't it? Bergdorf thinks that it can get Marchesa to custom make the gown. Maybe a pastel? Any ideas? Btw, I'd love to see your Badgley Mischka. [Hint]

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/26/2008 11:31:37 PM
The pink is lovely, isn't it? Bergdorf thinks that it can get Marchesa to custom make the gown. Maybe a pastel? Any ideas? Btw, I'd love to see your Badgley Mischka. [Hint]
Ohhh...I was going to say get a dress custom...but if they'll do that anyway. I LOVE the idea of a pastel! How about either a baby yellow (depending on your skin tone) or a light, light mint green? Can they shorten it as well?

Here's my "wedding thread": https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/scarlets-wedding-thread.82698/. Scroll down to see the back of the dress; it's what sold me! It's the color I ordered it in. The sample is about 2 sizes too big on me!

And this is the front, but I had it made into a sweetheart neckline...plus it looks way better on me (but I'm biased)
9.gif

bmfront.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love your diamond, your dress, your shoes ... You''ll have a beautiful wedding!

Is there anything by Badgley Mischka I should look at? I''d like to keep the empire waist. As for the Marchesa, I''ll have to see what fabrics they have. Yes, they can shorten it too.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet, that is a lovely dress, but I really vote for a shade of white, and for jewelry, wear diamonds and pearls only. Enjoy dressing as the bride this one time...you have a lifetime of living in NY and being able to wear evening gowns in any other color! You will be so beautiful in white with your dark hair!

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/27/2008 12:29:19 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Harriet, that is a lovely dress, but I really vote for a shade of white, and for jewelry, wear diamonds and pearls only. Enjoy dressing as the bride this one time...you have a lifetime of living in NY and being able to wear evening gowns in any other color! You will be so beautiful in white with your dark hair!
Diamondseeker has a really really good point...how many other times will there be where it's proper to wear a fabulous white dress? Have you tried anything on in white to see how you feel in it?

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/27/2008 12:00:42 AM
I love your diamond, your dress, your shoes ... You'll have a beautiful wedding!

Is there anything by Badgley Mischka I should look at? I'd like to keep the empire waist. As for the Marchesa, I'll have to see what fabrics they have. Yes, they can shorten it too.
Thanks for the compliments! It means a lot coming from you...I can tell you have amazing taste!

Hmmm, I actually haven't been impressed with BM's latest season...but I LOVED this Matthew Christopher dress when I was looking. They could probably add some fabulous straps to it. http://www.brides.com/fashion/dresses/gallery/wedding_dresses/vendor/designer/matthewchristopher/detail/140326?offset=28
It looks horrid in the pictures, but it is FANTASTIC!

Pronovias also has some fantastic empire waisted dresses...and they just opened up a new store near Cartier, I believe.

If you decide to go actual wedding dress, I'd highly recommend Mark Ingram Atelier (ask for Kelsey). I do believe they have a selection of short dresses as well.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2008 12:29:19 AM
Aw, thanks. Would you change the embroidery to white then? Is the dress I posted bridal enough in white?
P.S. You over-estimate how glamorous my life is. When I'm not at work, I'm running around in jeans and flats!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2008 1:03:10 AM
Thanks for the compliments! It means a lot coming from you...I can tell you have amazing taste!

Hmmm, I actually haven''t been impressed with BM''s latest season...but I LOVED this Matthew Christopher dress when I was looking. They could probably add some fabulous straps to it. http://www.brides.com/fashion/dresses/gallery/wedding_dresses/vendor/designer/matthewchristopher/detail/140326?offset=28

Pronovias also has some fantastic empire waisted dresses...and they just opened up a new store near Cartier, I believe.

If you decide to go actual wedding dress, I''d highly recommend Mark Ingram Atelier (ask for Kelsey). I do believe they have a selection of short dresses as well.
You''re most welcome!

I''ll check that dress out. Thanks for the recs. Believe it or not, I''m getting dress shopping fatigue.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Harriet, I read through the whole thread, and can''t figure out where you are getting married, and where your luncheon? is? For me, those would possibly determine somewhat what I would wear. ''Course, that''s just me.
5.gif

But I do agree with ds that it should be white (unless you feel you look horrible in it!) and diamonds/pearls for jewery. And keep it minimal.
28.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''ll be getting married at the City Hall and having lunch or dinner for 7 people at a very nice retaurant. Minimal? My fiance will love you.
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2008 10:51:47 AM
We''ll be getting married at the City Hall and having lunch or dinner for 7 people at a very nice retaurant. Minimal? My fiance will love you.
9.gif
bat%20eyes3.gif

Well, if it were me, I personally wouldn''t wear a fancy dress to a City Hall. I would wear either a suit or jacket dress. If you did lunch, I would most likely wear the samer thing, but if you did dinner, then I would wear a fancier dress, like that white one you like. But that''s just me.
28.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''ll probably be dinner. So, 2 outfits? Darn, even more shopping.
14.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you go with the white dress you like, a suit/jacket dress shouldn''t be that hard to find.

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/27/2008 10:12:20 AM
Date: 4/27/2008 1:03:10 AM

Hmmm, I actually haven''t been impressed with BM''s latest season...but I LOVED this Matthew Christopher dress when I was looking. They could probably add some fabulous straps to it. http://www.brides.com/fashion/dresses/gallery/wedding_dresses/vendor/designer/matthewchristopher/detail/140326?offset=28

If you decide to go actual wedding dress, I''d highly recommend Mark Ingram Atelier (ask for Kelsey). I do believe they have a selection of short dresses as well.
You''re most welcome!

I''ll check that dress out. Thanks for the recs. Believe it or not, I''m getting dress shopping fatigue.

The only thing is, I forgot the wedding is in 3 months! I''m not sure how long it would take to get a "bridal" dress in. Your best bet may still be to find something off the rack...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Ellen that a suit is more appropriate for the City Hall part and then change into your beautiful white dress for dinner.

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
What about something like this for City Hall? It''s a Ramona Keveka (again, though, I wonder if they could do a super rush job on it). And it could still work for dinner at Per Se.

rkshort.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamondseeker, Ellen,
The other half agrees with you.

Scarlet,
Please please take me shopping.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2008 1:05:57 PM
I agree with Ellen that a suit is more appropriate for the City Hall part
Why? I guess this is me playing devil''s advocate because I too will probably be married in City Hall (or the British equivalent thereof) but I don''t want to wear a suit or a jacket. I don''t want to look like I''m on my way to some business meeting and am just popping in to get married on the way--does that make sense? Is there something inappropriate about wearing a long dress (not a ball gown but a reasonably dressy dress) to get married in a courthouse-type environment? Or is it just not common?
33.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have no idea whether or not it is the done thing. Perhaps the worry is that City Hall may be somewhat grungy. It doesn''t have to be a business suit.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Hi Harriet,
I was recently married at City Hall, and I wore a DVF wrap dress. (Autumn in Los Angeles)

I''d do a simple dress for City Hall, and a more dressy dress for dinner.

I vote two dresses--or suit/dress combo/something thereabouts.
1.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2008 3:24:15 PM
Author: gwendolyn

Date: 4/27/2008 1:05:57 PM
I agree with Ellen that a suit is more appropriate for the City Hall part
Why? I guess this is me playing devil's advocate because I too will probably be married in City Hall (or the British equivalent thereof) but I don't want to wear a suit or a jacket. I don't want to look like I'm on my way to some business meeting and am just popping in to get married on the way--does that make sense? Is there something inappropriate about wearing a long dress (not a ball gown but a reasonably dressy dress) to get married in a courthouse-type environment? Or is it just not common?
33.gif
I'm not ds, but she agreed with me, so do I count?
9.gif
2.gif

The reason I don't think a fancy dress is appropriate is because one usually wears a fancy dress to a fancy event. City Hall's aren't fancy (usually), and as Harriet indicated, some actually do have a somewhat grungy feel. I just know I would feel out of place myself. Of course there's no rule, you can wear whatever you want!
5.gif

And as Harriet pointed out, it doesn't have to be a business suit. There are many pretty, feminine suits out there.

i.e. It's not white, but just to give you an idea of what I meant.

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=294454&CategoryID=26862

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2008 3:11:37 PM
Diamondseeker, Ellen,
The other half agrees with you.
I like this guy.
9.gif
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results