shape
carat
color
clarity

My 2.29 ct AVR...Take 1!!!!!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1437158391|3904165 said:
You all are very helpful! MrsBlop, Caysie also suggested going with 8 prongs for an Edwardian solitaire! We just hadn't gotten to a point of drawing since I was unsure of which setting I was going with!

I will say that the Edwardian solitaire is more traditional "me", but the thing that has been holding me back is that I wanted to stay away from a solitaire-looking ring because this will be an heirloom for one of my daughters and likely worn as a RHR (and I hope to do one more diamond ring for the other daughter eventually). So in that case, I wanted something that wasn't so much like a traditional engagement ring. I was trying not to do a halo on this stone and do something with side elements, but not really a three-stone ring. I never found an antique ring that really met my ideas to be an e-ring or RHR. And that is why Caysie has had my diamond for over 6 weeks and I haven't committed to a setting design!!!! :twirl:

DS I mean this in the nicest possible way, but I believe you are over thinking this. I totally understand wanting to have heirloom quality pieces to leave to your daughters, but who knows what will happen years from now and how your ring will be worn or enjoyed. I think you should choose the look that you most represents you and want you want. That is the legacy I would want to leave. Besides to me there is a difference between wearing an antique-style solitaire as a right hand ring as opposed to a modern one. I do like the idea of an eight prong solitaire setting and of course the Casablanca is just exquisite!

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
I LOVE demelza's old setting for an AVR:

_32477.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CRYSTAL24K|1437160390|3904189 said:
What a gorgeous stone with amazing personality! :love:
I love how beautiful your AVR looks now in its current setting and I can't wait to see your new setting when all the details are finalized.

Thank you so much, Crystal! I hope I can figure it out soon!

ecf8503 said:
Can you ask your daughter which look she prefers? It would be a shame if she didn't want to wear it because she didn't like the setting (although she could change it).

I still like the halo (the solitaire looks too plain!) :)

Yes! I have already texted her and told her I need her opinion! She is not home at the moment so I asked her to come by or else I will send her the pics when she gets home. I greatly appreciate your opinion!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If "over analysis paralysis" ever was more fitting! You haven't had your ring in 6 weeks? YIKES!! Seriously both of these settings are gorgeous and you have the excellent talents of Caysie to fall back on, you are in excellent hands as you know.
As for heirlooms for your daughters, I think the fact that the ring is something that you love and adore adds to the "heirloom quality", not that it looks or doesn't look like an e-ring, ya know? Figure out what makes YOUR heart sing, and with Caysie that shouldn't be too difficult! My 2 cents!! :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sundial|1437162047|3904210 said:
DS I mean this in the nicest possible way, but I believe you are over thinking this. I totally understand wanting to have heirloom quality pieces to leave to your daughters, but who knows what will happen years from now and how your ring will be worn or enjoyed. I think you should choose the look that you most represents you and want you want. That is the legacy I would want to leave. Besides to me there is a difference between wearing an antique-style solitaire as a right hand ring as opposed to a modern one. I do like the idea of an eight prong solitaire setting and of course the Casablanca is just exquisite!

You are absolutely right that I am overthinking it! :lol: I can give others advice all day long, but when it comes to expensive, long-term decisions for myself, it is a different matter! I like both rings and would maybe even make the Casablanca with a colored stone sometime because I love the design. So part of my indecision is not knowing which I want to wear hopefully for the next 20+ years!

FightGravity said:
I LOVE demelza's old setting for an AVR:

Great suggestion! Ironically, Demelza and I have VERY similar taste! I have that setting saved in my favorite settings folder! The newest setting she purchased unfortunately did not fit her stone, but it was a tie with the solitaire one above. I think it had the 8 prongs but different details in the basket. I still love that, too.

Bonfire said:
If "over analysis paralysis" ever was more fitting! You haven't had your ring in 6 weeks? YIKES!! Seriously both of these settings are gorgeous and you have the excellent talents of Caysie to fall back on, you are in excellent hands as you know.
As for heirlooms for your daughters, I think the fact that the ring is something that you love and adore adds to the "heirloom quality", not that it looks or doesn't look like an e-ring, ya know? Figure out what makes YOUR heart sing, and with Caysie that shouldn't be too difficult! My 2 cents!! :wavey:

:lol: Guilty!!! I only gave Caysie my ring at the beginning of June because I saw her in Vegas and wouldn't have to ship the ring to her. But at that point, I had no clear idea of a specific setting other than I loved the Casablanca but was afraid it was too big (I tried on the one with the inner bezel which makes it look even larger than the Anna version), and I thought I might do a variation of her antique Chloe solitaire which is on the order of the solitaires I am looking at now but with changes to basket, etc. You are right, though, Caysie is a gifted designer and really will do a beautiful job with whatever I go with. I am only consulting my daughter because I can't 100% decide, although I am leaning towards one at the moment.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS we are living vicariously through you!! So excited to see what you choose. Apparently your daughter is nothing like mine who would pick the polar opposite of what I would haha!!!! Good luck my Dear!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bonfire|1437164340|3904241 said:
DS we are living vicariously through you!! So excited to see what you choose. Apparently your daughter is nothing like mine who would pick the polar opposite of what I would haha!!!! Good luck my Dear!

Lol!!! Well, I have limited her choices at the outset! :bigsmile: However, that is a valid point! She loves my Beaudry rings most of all, so I know she will like these. I just have no idea which she would pick. If I were her, I would take my solitaire and give her own daughter her current e-ring to use, but she hasn't been married long enough to see the wisdom in that (still sentimental about her own ring)!!!

Thank you! And I just posted on your thread which I somehow totally missed!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tough decision DK!
The halo would look great with your stone and so would the Demelza inspired solitaire. Do what makes your heart sing: your daugther might prefer to wear it as a pendant. You cannot predict the future.

Happy decision making :wavey:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS - just out of curiosity and only because you said you liked it....

Have you considered your current stone with antique-style pears as side stones? You could do a beautiful Edwardian basket, and the pears would give more presence on your hand, but side to side stretch, rather than just larger circumference. Would also make a great right hand ring, as well as a wonderful e-ring. If you did melee in the basket etc, it could be really lovely. Ditto if you did engraving. Or a combo, for that matter! You could do that setting in an older style, which I'm sure CvB could work out for you. Possibly the best of all worlds? Truly unique, too!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1437166665|3904263 said:
DS - just out of curiosity and only because you said you liked it....

Have you considered your current stone with antique-style pears as side stones? You could do a beautiful Edwardian basket, and the pears would give more presence on your hand, but side to side stretch, rather than just larger circumference. Would also make a great right hand ring, as well as a wonderful e-ring. If you did melee in the basket etc, it could be really lovely. Ditto if you did engraving. Or a combo, for that matter! You could do that setting in an older style, which I'm sure CvB could work out for you. Possibly the best of all worlds? Truly unique, too!

Oh gosh, MrsB, the thought crossed my mind but only because someone recently asked the question about whether she could put modern pears beside an OEC and we all said no. I told her she'd never find a matched pair of antique pears the right size and color and would have to have them custom cut. It would just cost sooo much more to have custom cut stones done, because I'd probably only trust someone like Yoram to do it. It would have the potential to be fabulous and unique, but when you get into having stones custom cut, you pay for it whether you love the end result or not! I admit, it is an intriguing idea, though!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just gonna keep lobbing ideas at you till I find one that sticks.... :bigsmile:

ETA I hesitate to put this out there because it's kind of a personal idea - but I've thought about having my AVR set in an octagonal bed, then halo'd with very small half moon diamonds.

Just sayin'....

<lob>

:bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1437169469|3904273 said:
I'm just gonna keep lobbing ideas at you till I find one that sticks.... :bigsmile:

ETA I hesitate to put this out there because it's kind of a personal idea - but I've thought about having my AVR set in an octagonal bed, then halo'd with very small half moon diamonds.

Just sayin'....

<lob>

:bigsmile:

Well, gee, you are full of creative, wonderful, and $$$$$ ideas!!!! :lol: At least the halo I am looking at kind of emulates that!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just let me know if you need help with any other projects.... :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-blop|1437175518|3904302 said:

Haha! It is a lot of fun spending other people's money, isn't it?!!!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
mrs-blop|1437175518|3904302 said:

Ms blop you are such a character!

mns12

Shiny_Rock
So exciting that you are almost there with your forever setting!? You have excellent taste and have alway give such great advice I can't see your new setting falling anything short of perfect. I think you should go with your gut instinct. I can't wait to see! Your daughter will be one lucky girl!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just adding one more voice to the chorus, 'can't wait for the big revel'--whatever you choose DS, no doubt it will be epic! :love: :love: Have fun with the journey! :wavey: :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your encouragement Acinom, Ariel, mns12, and Sarah! I have decided that the only way to solve this is to have multiple rings! :Up_to_something: :lol:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006 said:
Thanks for your encouragement Acinom, Ariel, mns12, and Sarah! I have decided that the only way to solve this is to have multiple rings! :Up_to_something: :lol:

I think that is a fine idea! :naughty:

DS, your inspiration rings make my heart pitter patter. I cannot wait to see what you choose. No doubt it will be perfection as you have a very classy collection as is. Following your journey is a lot of fun :)) .

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Diamondseeker - I am so excited to see what your decide!!! I know you have been contemplating this so long and it is such a tough decision with all the beauties out there! YEAH!!! :dance:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS, I just saw this on Jewels by Grace and thought of you - think it is such an elegant setting!

1_55a9a05f9b87b7.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks JDDN and Tweeter!

Hi, MGR, that is a beautiful setting! I will go look at the rest of the pics. Thanks!

Of course I don't mind design suggestions, LLJsmom! I have looked at SS a lot for inspiration and it is very helpful to get the perspective of others! Those are all very pretty!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1437277542|3904664 said:
DS, here are some settings that would look amazing with your stone. But whatever you choose, I know it will be stunning. You have such great, classic tastes. Hope you don't mind me posting these from single stone.

https://www.singlestone.com/rings_c29/page8/allison_p320/

https://www.singlestone.com/rings_c29/page9/colette_p359/

https://www.singlestone.com/rings_c29/page10/nora_p386/

https://www.singlestone.com/rings_c29/page19/colette_p633/

There is just something about Single Stone designs. The photo's for the PSers who do not like to click on links:
Petsonally I love the first one for your stone as it looks like the big sister of the Van Craeynest design you admired for a long time.

_32504.jpg

_32505.jpg

_32506.jpg

_32507.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1437271399|3904642 said:
DS, I just saw this on Jewels by Grace and thought of you - think it is such an elegant setting!
This one from the lookbook and is vintage. I am sure Caysie could make a beautiful inspired version. I love the sides!! The profile seems a bit closed and busy, but you need to go custom for this one anyway.

_32508.jpg

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Hi DS, it's so exciting that you are finally getting your forever setting! Your daughter is very fortunate to have you considering her future wants and needs with your choices.

My two cents? The Casablanca is one of my favourite settings of all time. It is absolutely stunning, however if you are concerned that it will feel too big or just not quite right for your day to day then your instinct is probably right. This is where your two ring idea wins the day for me. :Up_to_something:

The Casablanca would be incredible with a CS centre as a RHR. (can you picture it with a really saturated royal blue sapphire centre?! Or a glowy red spinel? :love: :drool: ) And I love your other solitaire inspiration pic- it would let your AVR be the star while still incorporating lovely antique design elements.

If all else fails you could hold out for those custom Yoram cut antique pear side stones...wouldn't that be a stunner of a ring?! :naughty:

Either way you have such incredible taste, I look forward to seeing your choices!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1437285363|3904692 said:
MissGotRocks|1437271399|3904642 said:
This one from the lookbook and is vintage. I am sure Caysie could make a beautiful inspired version. I love the sides!! The profile seems a bit closed and busy, but you need to go custom for this one anyway.

Thank you SO much for posting the pics for me! It was very late last night when I saw that setting posted and I checked Grace's site but didn't see it. I hadn't checked the new look book yet! You are right that it is common to get inspiration from an antique setting and then tweak the elements to make them better!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EvangelineG|1437321781|3904816 said:
Hi DS, it's so exciting that you are finally getting your forever setting! Your daughter is very fortunate to have you considering her future wants and needs with your choices.

My two cents? The Casablanca is one of my favourite settings of all time. It is absolutely stunning, however if you are concerned that it will feel too big or just not quite right for your day to day then your instinct is probably right. This is where your two ring idea wins the day for me. :Up_to_something:

The Casablanca would be incredible with a CS centre as a RHR. (can you picture it with a really saturated royal blue sapphire centre?! Or a glowy red spinel? :love: :drool: ) And I love your other solitaire inspiration pic- it would let your AVR be the star while still incorporating lovely antique design elements.

If all else fails you could hold out for those custom Yoram cut antique pear side stones...wouldn't that be a stunner of a ring?! :naughty:

Either way you have such incredible taste, I look forward to seeing your choices!

Hi, Evangeline! :wavey: I agree that the Casablanca would be hard to beat as a setting for an AVR or OEC. I do think, as you said, though, that I would maybe be more comfortable with it with a smaller diamond or a colored stone. These cutters need to cut more OEC and antique cushions even in colored stones!!!

I love the setting you chose for your AVR! I would not rule out baguettes in my setting because I love those as much as pears. It is just that I also have an emerald cut setting idea that would incorporate baguettes, so I want to have two different looks, if possible. In a lot of ways, a solitaire is good for me to allow me to wear different bands. Then I think it is silly to change to another solitaire when I already have one! So I don't really know what I am going to do!

I do think I will still get a Van C setting (with another stone) or maybe just a band. I love apacherose's two sets, the Sebastien Barrier halo on her AVR and a Van C set with a smaller AVC! I would consider that idea with the AVR, but in reality, I do think it would greatly reduce the amount I'd wear it. It took me awhile to feel comfortable wearing a diamond that size, and I think I am at my maximum size for a round without a halo.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Hey DS! I am so excited for you, it is great to be able to get all this input from ps-ers!!!

What did your daughter say?

I love the solitaire you posted :love: And did I read Caysie suggested 8 prongs a la Edwardian? Well... that would be completely stunning- I love the 8 prongs, or octagonal halo's with these OEC cuts- it is just harmonious. Has Caysie drawn you an idea for an 8 prong solitaire?

I think that seems to just be more perfect for you for your AVR- I can't wait to see what you come up with!!!!

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
mrs-blop|1437127397|3903992 said:
I know what you mean - these settings don't grow on trees!

Yes, I love my setting. But something I haven't mentioned is that it was only ever intended to be a temporary setting. In the next year or two I'm going to switch out the diamond for an AVC - preferably a star cut. I

On a completely different note, yesterday I bought a pair of pears from JA to go either side of my 1.78ct stone currently set in the BGD tapered tiffany setting. quote]

Oh my! I just adore that AVR, and she seems to only ever be the bridesmaid, never the bride! What a lovely diamond she is- and how I love her in the yellow gold setting you have her in now. Sigh. Well, I am completely one to love AVC's, so, I get it, just she better go to another ps-er so I can continue to admire!!!

Okay, and congrats on your pear acquisition- that is my dream setting for a MRB, as well. :lickout: Enjoy your rings, and looking forward to you sharing along down the road!

I loved reading all your thoughts for DS's AVR.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results