shape
carat
color
clarity

@mrs-b are you OK?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Hi @glitterata -

To be honest, I'm on so many pain meds and muscle relaxants right now, I spend my days sleeping through movies and staying awake for no more than about half an hour at a time.

However, when the surgery is over, I'll try the audio book idea. Any suggestions? I like well written humor and anything warm and charming. Not looking for deep and meaningful.

And I hope your health issues have resolved - at least a little. <3

I'm glad you're able to have some relief in sleep.

Have you read Cold Comfort Farm, by Stella Gibbons? Very funny, warm, and charming, and the audio reader is excellent. Also Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle, which is hilarious, with an excellent audio reader. I'll think about other books that meet your criteria, which are also my preferences.

I spent my recent recuperation rereading childhood favorites--Joan Aiken's Wolves of Willoughby Chase, C.S. Lewis's Narnia series (and I Capture the Castle, which I guess counts as young adult fiction)--as well as British Victorian classics, especially Anthony Trollope. Trollope might be a bit exhausting for your condition, but if you have favorite childhood novels, this period might be a good one to try the audio versions.

I'm all better now, or well on the way at least, thank you. My case was nothing like as painful and scary as yours--I am sending you so many good thoughts and warm wishes for your own improved health!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I’m so very sorry to hear about what you’re going through @mrs-b. Wishing you pain relief soon, and best wishes for your surgery. You are a real trooper!

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Sending healing wishes your way!

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
Oh @mrs-b I am so sorry to hear of this. That sort of pain is physically unrelenting and miserable. I never found a medication that helped much though muscle relaxers took some of the edge off enough to get a little sleep. Nerve pain wears you down mentally too. I have similar problems at C5 and C6 and the nerve that runs down my left arm. I permanently lost sensation at the end of my left pointer finger due to the nerve compression. I am able to manage the occasional neck flare with a cortisone shot into the ruptured disc and physical therapy so I am not yet to the point I must have surgery. My husband is very supportive during the flares but he could not really understand what I was enduring. Thus, I always found it helpful to hear from others who could identify with the experience that there were brighter days ahead. Sending positive thoughts and warm wishes for a smooth surgery and speedy recovery!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just received some lovely flowers from a previous PSer (thanks, Steph ie Hudson_Hawk!) and also was laying in bed, full up on oxy, and thought I'd take a selfie with Beloved!

The things you do when you're high on pain meds.... :mrgreen: The photo did make me wonder about the sense of changing this gorgeous ring, tho! @MamaBee - am I out of my mind here?? @bling_dream19 - your thoughts? I'm thinking a 4.5ct G VS1 ACA soli.

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2508.jpg

Sunrises Sunsets

Shiny_Rock
I just received some lovely flowers from a previous PSer (thanks, Steph ie Hudson_Hawk!) and also was laying in bed, full up on oxy, and thought I'd take a selfie with Beloved!

The things you do when you're high on pain meds.... :mrgreen: The photo did make me wonder about the sense of changing this gorgeous ring, tho! @MamaBee - am I out of my mind here?? @bling_dream19 - your thoughts? I'm thinking a 4.5ct G VS1 ACA soli.

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2508.jpg

mrs-b, you are beautiful even while suffering such agony but that ring is giving you a run for your money. I hoping seeing your ring cheers you as much as seeing you cheers me. I'll pray for your continued strength dealing with the extensive back issue and that your surgery provides the relief to which you are so deserving. (Those audio books suggested by glitterata sound extremely entertaining, may you be able to listen to them soon.)

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@mrs-b I’m sorry to hear about the pain-but glad that they gave you some meds.

I just found this pretty MOP locket and the dog made me think of your dogs. I hope you find it a pretty distraction.
5F414803-C633-4864-B165-8123020CCC6F.png

Last edited:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes. Working in the OR we often deliver intra- and immediate post-operative pain relief in pretty large quantities, and you're on some heavy stuff, girl. I'm impressed that your posts are up their usual impeccable spelling and grammar standards, I'd be off my chops! :lol-2:

And re. upgrading Beloved...I couldn't be appalled at you if I tried my absolute hardest! Beloved is the pinnacle IMHO, but anything you ever choose is perfection, so...why not?? I love that you keep us all on our toes :bigsmile:

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Oh no, mrs-b, I’m so sorry to hear about your pain! I’m glad that the drugs knock you out so you can sleep. Hoping that the next 10 days or so fly by!

As for beloved, she’s beautiful but maybe a new project will give you something to look forward to!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Counting down the days until the 27th!

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @glitterata -

To be honest, I'm on so many pain meds and muscle relaxants right now, I spend my days sleeping through movies and staying awake for no more than about half an hour at a time.

However, when the surgery is over, I'll try the audio book idea. Any suggestions? I like well written humor and anything warm and charming. Not looking for deep and meaningful.

And I hope your health issues have resolved - at least a little. <3

If you are fine with a bit of dark humor and profanity, Confessions of a D List Supervillain had me almost doubled over laughing a few times. Great voice actor, the story is entertaining and well paced. It's charming in its own way.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to go back and :kiss2: everyone's post on this thread, but typing is hard and, frankly, seeing words on the page is hard just at the moment.

@Dandi - posts these days take...longer. Like - much longer. Like - a reeeeeally long time. I'm somewhere between stoned and in a real lot of pain - so it's an interesting process. But even this level of drugs only hold it all for so long, and I can only imagine what's happening to the nerve when I have to sit, for example. Ooof!
`
My upgrade 'plan' (and plan is way too definite sounding) is to go back to the Beloved solitaire, go up to 4.5ct and up to a G color, VS1 clarity. This would take a couple of years to achieve, as the quote I've been given is + $70k from the money I have in my current diamond. I'd also upgrade the side stones slightly and use them as earrings - which would be really nice, as I've never had nice sized diamond studs. I'd do a double stud: a 5mm diamond above, and a 7mm diamond below. I love double studs, and they'd sit well on my very long earlobes.

I've found that I regularly wear a very small percentage of my jewelry. So I figure I may as well maximize what I *do* wear, and sell the rest. I'd like to go back to a tiny collection; it really is enough and I've been talking about this for *such* a long time.

I did, however, make a start on my locket, so here's a photo of that to pass the time. ::) That gorgeous diamond in the center is an AVR .95 E VS2. So much more beautiful in person, but no way I can get outdoor shots right now.

IMG_2448.jpg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I want to go back and :kiss2: everyone's post on this thread, but typing is hard and, frankly, seeing words on the page is hard just at the moment.

@Dandi - posts these days take...longer. Like - much longer. Like - a reeeeeally long time. I'm somewhere between stoned and in a real lot of pain - so it's an interesting process. But even this level of drugs only hold it all for so long, and I can only imagine what's happening to the nerve when I have to sit, for example. Ooof!
`
My upgrade 'plan' (and plan is way too definite sounding) is to go back to the Beloved solitaire, go up to 4.5ct and up to a G color, VS1 clarity. This would take a couple of years to achieve, as the quote I've been given is + $70k from the money I have in my current diamond. I'd also upgrade the side stones slightly and use them as earrings - which would be really nice, as I've never had nice sized diamond studs. I'd do a double stud: a 5mm diamond above, and a 7mm diamond below. I love double studs, and they'd sit well on my very long earlobes.

I've found that I regularly wear a very small percentage of my jewelry. So I figure I may as well maximize what I *do* wear, and sell the rest. I'd like to go back to a tiny collection; it really is enough and I've been talking about this for *such* a long time.

I did, however, make a start on my locket, so here's a photo of that to pass the time. ::) That gorgeous diamond in the center is an AVR .95 E VS2. So much more beautiful in person, but no way I can get outdoor shots right now.

IMG_2448.jpg
That locket is beautiful- I LOVE the green color!! I’m wondering if you need to keep your three stone and get a big solitaire - maybe an old cut? Which will probably cost less than an ACA ? Just throwing that out there!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That locket is beautiful- I LOVE the green color!! I’m wondering if you need to keep your three stone and get a big solitaire - maybe an old cut? Which will probably cost less than an ACA ? Just throwing that out there!

In one way, I'm all for it. But as years go by, I'm more and more drawn to paring waaaaay down. So buying another large ring isn't the way forward for me. I'd love to get down to a dozen pieces, ideally.

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2508.jpg

Never has anyone looked so blingtastic while not feeling well in bed. Maybe Liz Taylor? Maybe.

You're beautiful... I just wanted to send along healing thoughts and positive energy. Get well soon!
sending_flowers.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness @mrs-b, that LOCKET!!! I have missed the back story, please, if/when you're up to it, what's the story behind that beauty??? I love it!!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mrs-b I am so sad to read about your pain. You are in our prayers!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Joining the PSers above and wishing you well and a fast resolution to all this pain. Sending prayers your way.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
David Sedaris and his hysterical family, I second that. Also, probably not on audio book yet, is "I Fear for This Boy" by Theo Fennell, his wild life as a jeweler.
I'm glad you're considering a project. The mind needs someplace to go that isn't pain.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Mrs B
how dreadful :(2
but i know people who have have had that surgery
there is light at the end of the tunnel
you seem to have been saddled with the health challengers of 10 people :(2
but you will get through this
im so sorry you are in such terrible pain :(2

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2508.jpg

Your three stone gives your finger excellent coverage. My only hesitation about your upgrade plan is that you have never seemed happy with just a solitaire. I love a good solitaire too but every time I consider it, I remember how I ended up with my first three stone ring. The balance for my finger just wasn't there. My fingers are short and the solitaires always look so appealing to me on longer fingers - which I don't have! Somehow the three stones together looked better to me for me if that makes sense. However, if you really want to do the solitaire again, you know we'll be here to cheer you on! For now, I hope you are resting comfortably. Ten more days until you are hopefully on the road to recovery!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your three stone gives your finger excellent coverage. My only hesitation about your upgrade plan is that you have never seemed happy with just a solitaire. I love a good solitaire too but every time I consider it, I remember how I ended up with my first three stone ring. The balance for my finger just wasn't there. My fingers are short and the solitaires always look so appealing to me on longer fingers - which I don't have! Somehow the three stones together looked better to me for me if that makes sense. However, if you really want to do the solitaire again, you know we'll be here to cheer you on! For now, I hope you are resting comfortably. Ten more days until you are hopefully on the road to recovery!!

@MissGotRocks -

If I go back to a solitaire, I'll also do a 5 stone, so that will scratch the itch, as I like 5 stone rings even more than 3 stones. I'm finding that a 3 stone with a center stone this large makes the ring very high, and I'm on the fence how I feel about that.

I make a lot of jokes about my fingers, but the truth is, while not long, my fingers are a pretty average length. The problem is that they're chubby, so what I really need is slimmer fingers, rather than longer, which will make a solitaire look larger as well! :mrgreen:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

@mrs-b No..You are not out of your mind..The heart wants what the heart wants. Do you still have your solitaire setting? I think it was for this stone..You could have David set it temporarily..Live with it for a while..See if you feel more comfortable with a solitaire..
Your three stone is gorgeous..but if you have doubts about it making you happy..then go for it! I told you..Life is short! After your surgery you need to treat yourself! :Up_to_something::lol:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MissGotRocks -

If I go back to a solitaire, I'll also do a 5 stone, so that will scratch the itch, as I like 5 stone rings even more than 3 stones. I'm finding that a 3 stone with a center stone this large makes the ring very high, and I'm on the fence how I feel about that.

I make a lot of jokes about my fingers, but the truth is, while not long, my fingers are a pretty average length. The problem is that they're chubby, so what I really need is slimmer fingers, rather than longer, which will make a solitaire look larger as well! :mrgreen:

You know @mrs-b, I think we are all too critical of our God given appendages! Lol! I understand about the height of your three stone ring bugging you. If it is too high to be particularly comfortable, then it might make perfect sense to go back to a solitaire setting. Being wearable is key for sure!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
no photo Mrs B
but be inspired by your tree in my back yard
struck by lightening and split in half
one half on the lawn, one half aganist the concrete back wall of the neighbour's garage
and its still alive and thriving, i just cant bear to chop it up when your unwell
so its become a cat playground

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2508.jpg

So sorry you are having such a hard time. Oh my, your ring
surely brightens up even the worst of days. IMO a soli sounds amazingly tempting tho!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I somehow missed this thread! Oh @mrs-b I am so sorry to read of your pain. And the wait too!! I hope you/they can comfortably manage your pain until the 27th and then after that you’ll have much relief. Sending warm ((hugs)) and ❤️

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I somehow missed this thread! Oh @mrs-b I am so sorry to read of your pain. And the wait too!! I hope you/they can comfortably manage your pain until the 27th and then after that you’ll have much relief. Sending warm ((hugs)) and ❤️

Hi @Slickk -

No, they're not managing it well, tho DH and I have worked out a bunch of processes that help a lot to minimize the pain from specific movements - like showering. Some things can't be worked around, and I cannot sit *at all* - so basically I'm flat in bed until the 27th.

The team I'm seeing has thrown the most enormous amount of drugs at the situation, but after a point they make me dizzy and ill, so I try to take rather less than they've prescribed, given that what they've prescribed for me seems insane. They originally had dilaudid prescribed AS WELL - but I declined that, as that stuff really knocks me out. I don't want to become so immobile that I can't move and risk blood clots and pneumonia etc. I do a lot of in-bed leg and arm movements, and when I go to the rest room, I try to stay upright as long as I can. I take deep breaths and cough a number of times a day, trying to keep my lungs clear, and basically just try to look after myself.

9 days to go......

Last edited:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are a trooper and all my digits are crossed that your pain is eased by the surgery.

In the meantime, the idea of you high on drugs posting things for sale in preloved is very appealing :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results