shape
carat
color
clarity

@mrs-b are you OK?

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b I’m sending you hugs and get well wishes. I hope You both get better soon. You are so encouraging because you continue to keep your head up and try to find joy though you are having a rough time. Sending healing vibes your way.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just an update for anyone who might look at this thread.

About 9 days ago my back completely collapsed (it's too much to explain here, but suffice to say that neither of my L4/L5 - L5/S1 discs are where they're supposed to be and the sciatic nerve is completely not-visible on any MRI as it's squashed beyond visibility between endless osteophytes that are forming a cage of bone around my lumbar spine). So I ended up going into hospital via ambulance for emergency surgery ( - fusion and a double decompression).

Unfortunately, tho, I'm on Humira and it's an immunosuppressant so, apparently, you can't have surgery within 2 weeks of taking Humira as it suppresses your immune system and can cause a spinal infection that causes paraplegia.

Not knowing this, and figuring I wouldn't be able to get Humira at the hospital, I took a shot before I went in....

When I spoke to my surgeon and he discovered that, he consulted with the GI dept etc, and the long and the short of it is - I can't have surgery until Jan 27th, at which point I'll be ambulanced back in and operated on then.

Until then, I'm back home after a couple of days in hospital having tests and trying to control my pain, and I'm now bed bound and can neither walk nor sit. It's excruciatingly painful and I'm counting off the hours. I'd appreciate all prayers and warm thoughts.

Last edited:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry @mrs-b. I'll be thinking of you and hoping the days until the 27th pass quickly and that the surgery relieves all of your pain.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Oh gosh-prayers to you @mrs-b !!!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
That’s great you have a date @Mrs-b…I can’t imagine the pain you are having to deal with. Is Wendy with you now? I hope so..Gentle hugs..

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you are able to get some relief from the pain while you wait for the surgery @mrs-b. I’m sorry you are in so much pain. Sending prayers and good wishes to you.

snotty_pie

Shiny_Rock
Huge hugs for you, @mrs-b. I hope the 27th comes quickly for you.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b this is unimaginable. My heart and thoughts are very much with you. You have tolerated the intolerable for far too long already.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no...sorry that you have to wait in such pain. Sending positive thoughts your way that the surgery will finally resolve the pain you've had for awhile. Hopefully you were able to have that amazing Christmas you planned.

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
Back pain is debilitating, I know this pain well, and I wish you my best @mrs-b.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry to hear this. Sending healing wishes and positive thoughts your way.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

About 9 days ago my back completely collapsed (it's too much to explain here, but suffice to say that neither of my L4/L5 - L5/S1 discs are where they're supposed to be and the sciatic nerve is completely not-visible on any MRI as it's squashed beyond visibility between endless osteophytes that are forming a cage of bone around my lumbar spine). So I ended up going into hospital via ambulance for emergency surgery ( - fusion and a double decompression).

Unfortunately, tho, I'm on Humira and it's an immunosuppressant so, apparently, you can't have surgery within 2 weeks of taking Humira as it suppresses your immune system and can cause a spinal infection that causes paraplegia.

Not knowing this, and figuring I wouldn't be able to get Humira at the hospital, I took a shot before I went in....

When I spoke to my surgeon and he discovered that, he consulted with the GI dept etc, and the long and the short of it is - I can't have surgery until Jan 27th, at which point I'll be ambulanced back in and operated on then.

Until then, I'm back home after a couple of days in hospital having tests and trying to control my pain, and I'm now bed bound and can neither walk nor sit. It's excruciatingly painful and I'm counting off the hours. I'd appreciate all prayers and warm thoughts.

JFC. I spoke too soon in another thread. You can’t catch a break, can you?

I’m very sorry to read this!! January 27. We will be counting days and hours with you.

Pain management is… Everything. You shouldn’t have to be in so much pain for so long - there must be SOMETHING that can be done. I will be hoping that you and your medical team can find that something quickly ;(

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Praying for your to have pain relief while you wait.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
What a horror! I am so sorry you have to go through this. I hope the time passes quickly and you are able to bear the pain.

Apologies if this suggestion is redundant or not something you find helpful, but during some recent health challenges I found audiobooks enormously comforting. They made it possible for me to read without holding anything in my arms, having to support my head, using my eyes, or dealing with light. Being stuck in bed without being able to move much was very boring to me. But maybe you're in too much pain to be bored. I hope not. (I mean I hope the intensity of the pain doesn't demand your constant attention and vigilance; I don't mean I hope you're bored!)

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh @mrs-b, it breaks my heart that your going through yet another health challenge. It's so unfair when such beautiful people are met with such awful situations. Wishing you all the strength you need to get through this, and lots of love from across the globe.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a horror! I am so sorry you have to go through this. I hope the time passes quickly and you are able to bear the pain.

Apologies if this suggestion is redundant or not something you find helpful, but during some recent health challenges I found audiobooks enormously comforting. They made it possible for me to read without holding anything in my arms, having to support my head, using my eyes, or dealing with light. Being stuck in bed without being able to move much was very boring to me. But maybe you're in too much pain to be bored. I hope not. (I mean I hope the intensity of the pain doesn't demand your constant attention and vigilance; I don't mean I hope you're bored!)

Hi @glitterata -

To be honest, I'm on so many pain meds and muscle relaxants right now, I spend my days sleeping through movies and staying awake for no more than about half an hour at a time.

However, when the surgery is over, I'll try the audio book idea. Any suggestions? I like well written humor and anything warm and charming. Not looking for deep and meaningful.

And I hope your health issues have resolved - at least a little. <3

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:Prayers and hugs to you.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Prayers also. Why do these things happen to those who deserve it least?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dear @mrs-b, my prayers and well wishes go out to you; I will be thinking of you every day and sending positive vibes of comfort and endurance.

Redwoods-hiker-girl

Brilliant_Rock
@mrs-b, I'm sending comfort and support your way -- you've endured more than your fair share of pain. If all your friends here could draw the pain away from you and distribute it among ourselves, I'm certain we would do it in a heartbeat. I'm rooting for you.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @glitterata -

To be honest, I'm on so many pain meds and muscle relaxants right now, I spend my days sleeping through movies and staying awake for no more than about half an hour at a time.

However, when the surgery is over, I'll try the audio book idea. Any suggestions? I like well written humor and anything warm and charming. Not looking for deep and meaningful.

And I hope your health issues have resolved - at least a little. <3

I remember those days well. Glad you have pain meds to try to help a bit. I spent my weeks before surgery "watching" endless TV series just to have something to try to focus on between drifting off. Little House on the Prairie goes forever and is pretty good. Hang in there.

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sending you support and prayers @mrs-b
Take care xx

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
So sorry to hear your news. My husband has suffered with his back over the years but nothing to this. Sending you best wishes for the time to fly by and for a very successful op.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Many prayers for you!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's crazy. Since the opioid epidemic it's virtually impossible to get anything stronger than a Tylenol out of the medical system here, but when they feel helpless, they'll throw the whole pharmacy at you!

I'm on 10 mg of oxy every 4 hours - and that will knock you out pretty comprehensively by itself! But I'm also on Lyrica twice a day, and Diazepam and Tylenol every 8 hours, as well as 2 other anti-spasmodics every 8 hours in between the diazepam 8 hour periods. I'm also on steroids to try to keep the swelling at bay, but that jacks up my glucose, so I try to keep that to a minimum.

But even despite all of this, my pulse still goes straight to 130 whenever I have to stand (I have a resting pulse of 68 ) and I scream my way through showers - which I REFUSE not to take - because, you know, STANDARDS. Any standing or sitting sends me white as a sheet and my BP drops to around 70/40 (normally around 120/75).

So all that to say - it's pretty much the full catastrophe and I am counting off the days till I can get this done. If I could actually move, I would KICK myself for taking the Humira before I went to hospital - what a nincompoop! - but I didn't know, so what can you do, right?

Sigh.

But just to add....

I have the best husband in the world, this WILL pass, I have friends who truly love me and honestly care, we have great health coverage so can afford to have this done (and BOY, does this ever make me feel for people who can't afford health coverage!!), I love my home and my dogs, my wonderful daughter would do anything I asked to make this more bearable, and in 6 months time, I'll be back out in California, swimming in my pool and drinking cocktails on the verandah of my favorite bistro, interspersed with weekends wine tasting at my favorite vineyards.

So in the meantime, I try to take this with a good grace, knowing I am more blessed than any one woman deserves. And I'm not being Sally Sunshine here. Nobody knows better than me that this truly sucks at the moment. But I'm a very analytical person who looks at things on balance, and - on balance - I am hugely blessed and I know it.

I'm also thinking about upgrading Beloved. There. I said it. Apparently I had to wait till the rest of my life was so terrible that I felt I could get away with it without anybody being shocked and appalled at me. We'll see what happens. Either way, it won't happen in a hurry. But the cogs are turning....

Last edited:

HockeyMama

Shiny_Rock
Well, @mrs-b , for lack of anything better to say, this SUCKS. Bring on the upgrade! Those turning cogs will help while away the hours.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sorry to hear of these recent turns for you! Sending warm thoughts to you as you wait for the surgery date. Must be terrible to be in pain and just have to wait another eleven days for surgery! Here is hoping the time passes as quickly and comfortably for you as possible.

Might was well talk about the upgrade - lol! - what are your thoughts? Larger, smaller, solitaire?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I cringed when you said you scream through your showers. I’m so upset for you..Pain-free days are coming soon..
It’s wonderful that you can look forward to happy things when this is over. Your upgrade is in print. Now it has to happen! :bigsmile: It will be fun to see what you decide to do!
Your sisters in bling would never be appalled at an upgrade. It must be your meds making you think we could be shocked! :lol:

Last edited:

rungirl

Shiny_Rock
@mrs-b, I'm so sorry about the pain you are enduring. Sending warmest good thoughts your way that this passes as quickly as possible.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh this hurts my heart reading this. I will be praying for you and your husband that all goes wonderful with your surgery and both of you are on the mend! Being in such unbearable pain is awful and I am sure that surgery can't come soon enough!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results