shape
carat
color
clarity

moved: WIP - ~ Quest ~ Custom Sapphire halo ering + eternity band - it''''s almost done!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Y'know, I was wondering what they were talking about when they said that their engraving was more in relief instead of raised. I figured that's always the case...you carve...and what's left is raised. Now I understand. Londonblue - I like it, it looks nice, but in my opinion, not as nice as raised carving would look. HOWEVER, I suggest getting the rings in your hands first to make sure. When I ordered the vintage pendants from Signed Pieces I thought the pear was gonna go back because at the blown up picture the milgraining looked crooked. I couldn't even see it when I got the pendant in my hands. So...wait till you get the rings to reserve final judgment. But I do understand what you mean.

ETA: I love the wband engraving more than the ering. But wait and see - it just might knock your socks off.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
London blue -- it''s beautiful! The vivid royal blue of that sapphire is obviously a rare find...gorgeous! From where did you source the stone?

I like the engraving "in relief" or whatever the technical term is....I think it looks very pretty and subtle that way.
1.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
I actually like it a lot--I think it''s going to be WAY subtle and attractive in person (like 30 times smaller!!!)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2006 8:25:29 PM
Author: blueroses
I actually like it a lot--I think it''s going to be WAY subtle and attractive in person (like 30 times smaller!!!)

As usual Blueroses is reading my mind.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
London-

How did I miss this thread?!? What a stunning sapphire, and altogether gorgeous ring! The etching is really pretty IMHO-I hope you like it
1.gif

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
What a great ring! I like the detail (carving) on the band! Great blue gemstone!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you get the rings today?? what do you think?

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Oh I personally love the engraving it is so delicate and pretty! I hope you end up liking it too hun!

londonblue

Shiny_Rock
kristyDarling - got the sapphire from cherrypicked.com, Richard was great to work with!

about the terms, so Pete told me that they do "etching" which seems to be carved into the metal. I generally think of etching as using acid to eat away the method and leave an etched image (such as an etched metal plate for printing, or etched glass. There''s also laser etching but that usually cuts through a sheet of metal. Pete''s etcher said that the raised style I wanted was usually know as "relief" which to me is an art term that refers to something that''s raised in a relief style. I''m not sure where engraving falls under all that, maybe it''s a catch-all and not specific enough term? I''ve seen the relief style, or any carving style referred to engraving also. But I also think of engraving as cutting into the metal, so perhaps it''s not a detailed enough term. Anyway, for future reference, Quest can only to the etched, cut into the metal style I believe. Or possibly it was due to the size contraints of our ring.

Anyway, received the package today via usps express mail. just sat at home and waited for it =) fortunately it arrived early at lunch. Ripped the doubled box open, then the bubble wrap, then the envelope inside which were 2 blue boxes. And there I was just expecting one box haha.

halo_ering02.jpg

I was almost afraid to look, but it was now or never, so I popped them open only w/ a split second of hesitation and inside were 2 beautiful rings.

halo_ering03.jpg

On first glance, they both look amazing! Almost breathtaking in their petite loveliness. After close inspection of both rings, I realized everyone was right. In person the engraving is quite subtle and I had to put on my glasses to really examine the detail of it all. It''s quite nicely and exquistely done. There is only one place on the ring where it slightly cuts into the milligrain, but that''s only if you''re like me and go around scrutinizing every little etch lol =)

So yes, they are wonderful and is all turned out oh so lovely. My fiance loves both the rings as well. She can''t stop saying, "they''re soo preeettty!"

I don''t know if i would have preferred a different style of etching, and really at this point is doesn''t really matter. Would a relief style look better? Actually, that should be rephrased, would a relief style even fit?? being 1.5mm in thickness, it''s a damn tiny space! But I will still love the relief style, perhaps I shall get it on my own band muhahaha.

But Quest was great to work with, and I gave Pete a call to let him know how perfectly they turned out. Poor Pete sounded very hesitant when I told him I had received the rings, because I felt quite distraught after seeing the etched images yesterday, with the possibility that they might have to be undone (which i''m amazed they actually can do! super labor intensive though). So we''re definitely going to send him and Quest some sort of gift for all his amazing hard work =)

Well, enough text, on w/ the orgy of images! (I totally forgot to take photos of the inside where there''s the plat 950 stamp, the "Quest" hallmark stamp, and the phrase I had Pete put in the band "une dezir" from a posey ring of the same text)

londonblue

Shiny_Rock
on the hand shots

ok, so we put it on the finger and our initial reaction was... crap! is it too big??
everyone else has been saying it looks fine, so we're hoping that shrinkage will set in real soon!

we want shrinkage!

has anyone on here ever hoped for shrinkage? =)
we figure it's probably only a matter of time and getting used to the look on her fingers. Her hand are fairly petite, and my great fear while choosing a sapphire and having a halo was that it would be too large. The one she tried on at Tiffany's used a .3 ct diamond I think.. I completely forgot to look up what size that would be then, but that one looked quite petite. But then I think partially because the sapphire contrasts a lot more and thus visually pops out more than all diamonds.

it actually looks smaller w/ the band though.. so maybe the shank is too thin on the ering =)

halo_ering14.jpg

halo_ering15.jpg

halo_ering16.jpg

halo_ering18.jpg

halo_ering19.jpg

halo_ering20.jpg

halo_ering21.jpg

halo_ering22.jpg

halo_ering23.jpg

halo_ering24.jpg

halo_ering25.jpg

londonblue

Shiny_Rock
i'll take more tomorrow if anyone is interested..
especially of the stamping inside the ring

and a HUGE Thank You to all on pricescope for your support and expert advice in this process, from sapphire to finished rings!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
londonblue,

The finished rings are stunning, and very, very elegant.

Quest has done a superb job!

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
it looks great!!! very pretty and very elegent on her slim fingers...and there is absoutely NOTHING such as ''too big''..trust me, give it a matter of days,no i take that back...give it a mater of a few hours and that beauty will look like it was made to be there....

congrats on an amazing ring and 2 thumbs up for the effort!
36.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, incredibly beautiful rings!
30.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE, LOVE how the rings turned out!

Truly magical! Too big, SCHMOO BIG!
It is perfect and she''s going to get many many compliments for a long time to come.

Here is what I just dropped off at Quest - my orig e-ring and a new stone for it.

I am SO VERY tempted to call Pete and .... yank that setting back and have him put my sapphire in something just like yours.
It is beyond gorgeous!

ENJOY
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
ooops forgot to upload pic

dbgaapOMG.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
They look gorgeous and stunning in every way!! I think we all get caught up in these monstrously large images of something that in reality is so small it's not even a concern. The rings look amazing in all the pictures and you must be just thrilled. They look absolutely gorgeous!!!!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I think that says it all.

shay

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
I''m so glad you and your fiancee are happy with the results. The rings are unbelievably gorgeous and look AMAZING on her hand!! Don''t pray for shrinkage too soon--she''ll be asking for an upgrade before you know it! I think they look fantastic. CONGRATULATIONS!
30.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
londonblue, you''ll have to add pics of your fiancee''s ring to the custom Quest thread
here

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow, beautiful ring! And I love the photography. This is very a la tiffany''s legacy with gemstones, but better!!!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
They look AMAZING! I love the way they turned out. Just perfect.

ETA: I think the engraving is perfect also. Very delicate and pretty.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH MY, your ring is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. The sapphire is so yummmmmy. Congratulations.

Linda

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Londonblue, the rings are beautiful! The sapphire is stunning and looks great with the halo of diamonds. I don''t think it looks too big on your sweetheart''s hand at all. It looks perfect. Congratulations!

londonblue

Shiny_Rock
more photos (the last! i promise =) )

halo_ering26.jpg

halo_ering27.jpg

engraving (taken from a posey ring, spelled in period french)
halo_ering28.jpg

halo_ering29.jpg

halo_ering30.jpg

halo_ering31.jpg

(oops, fingerprint on sapphire
5.gif
)
halo_ering32.jpg

from my fiance's pt of view
halo_ering33.jpg

profile shot on finger
halo_ering34.jpg

you're all right, it's looking much more appropriately sized already! hehe
honestly, the more i read the comments, the better the ring looks lol. it really is a beautiful piece of work. even though everything felt a bit rushed at the end (probably my fault as i kept telling pete not to worry about the due date, since i preferred a good job rather than a rush job hehe), it all turned out great!

i checked everything out w/ my 10x loupe today and it's all so delicate and beautiful. we'll see what her co-worker comments are tomorrow
2.gif

dbgaap - looks like a great new sapphire, i hope your ring turns out great! i'm sure pete will do an excellent job as usual. lucky you, it's so much easier to get a hold of him in person i bet! =)

mrssalvo - now i just have to choose the best images to represent her ring on all the ring threads on here hehe

as soon as i can borrow the ring back i can show everyone at my work, and get the rings appraised. i'm getting insured by chubb, @ 1.8% it seems, and they recommended an appraisal since it's not a 20k item. is that usually the recommendation? i had thought about getting it appraised anyway. i was told that i can get the policy in place with just the basic invoice from my purchases detailing the specs of the rings but that it's better to have the appraisal for reference. I'm not sure if it's for proof of the value of the items, for a detailed description of them in case they question any of my claims, or just so i will have an accurate market appraisal amount to insure for.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Londonblue,

I think it''s a work of art! Congrats on such a beautiful original ring. I have a halo ring, and it never looked too big, and it shrunk really fast until it seemed like only a speck. I have size 4.25 fingers, so not petite, but not massive either. In any case, I love it! That blue is just stunning.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
London Blue:

On your "praying for shrinkage" I had the same moment with my halo reset! Since my diamond was 1.13 carats PR, it wound up measuring 11mm with the halo and I was like "WHOA.....is it too much?" when I first got it.

But after a few days of wearing it, it started to feel right, and now it doesn''t look big at all to me. But I did have a few days where I thought it might be gaudy, and then I got over myself. My old setting was so pedestrian & boring, I just needed to adjust.

That said, if you can''t get used to it, I''ll gladly take that beautiful set off your hands & wear it for you!
OMG!

SIMPLY STUNNING! I want one just like it!

Jeannine

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
That has got to be one of the most beautiful sapphire rings I have ever laid eyes on.....everything- sapphire color & size, halo, side stones, wedding ring and engraving is perfect. Now I have to add a sapphire halo ring to my wish-list!

Pete is going to get some future business from me, for sure!

laila

Shiny_Rock
WOW! That is sure a stunning ring!! I don''t know much about colored gemstones, but that looks just gorgeous!! Makes me want one just like it!

I am really loving the work that Quest does!!! Congratulations!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results