shape
carat
color
clarity

Moissanite rings from Starsgem on ebay (starsgem8)

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
@swaye2010 Have you ordered any elongated ACCs from anyone other than SG? I can’t keep up with all your projects :lol:

I love the facet pattern of the 10x9 @greenteabiscuit had made. I’m not sure if it’s the proportions of the stone, but the culet is shorter than a lot of others I’ve seen. The only change is I’m hoping they can round the corners out just a *tiny* bit more. I’m also going smaller at 8x7, even though I wear a size 8. I just think 9x8 will be too much for me, personally.

I figured if anyone knew what they were capable of with customizing cuts, it was you! :geek2: I thought I saw youd mentioned that you had one cut more square and one more rounded, but then again, I read a LOT on here and have a terrible memory. :lol-2:
The two I have custom rings being made for are stones from SG. I just don’t like the pinwheel culet look of the Tianyu version. I am sure they could cut it the other way too, I just haven’t seen a version from them yet. I have it both ways. The 11x9 is more rounded with long thin culet and the 11x10 is more square with a short culet. If you want a version like that and slightly smaller, you can go for the 8x7 to get that look. I do have to say that a 2.5 carat cushion looks like a 2 carat round so keep that in mind. I think you’ve said that 1.5 to 1.75 is a sweet spot for you so probably 8x7 would work. I would think in a simple solitaire could be done in 9K pretty cheap. I have some antique 9K jewelry I inherited and it does still look a lot like the 14K gold. It just has a bit more of an aged look to it.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the info! I’ll have them do an 8x7 with rounded corners and a short culet. Basically just like the other one on the new “elongated cushion” thread from the new company, but they don’t do customized rings. I don’t think I’d want to be a guinea pig anyway if they wanted to start. Haha!

The only other option is to get a loose stone and have it set locally, which will be crazy expensive. If SG would set a loose stone for me, I could send it to them but that seems like a big hassle. Shipping isn’t cheap either. Simpler solution is to just get a custom cut from SG.

As far as the size, I thought about 8.5x7.5, but I don’t think I care enough. Lol! A 2 carat equivalent should be plenty big enough I’d think. Lucky rabbit had a 9.5x8 I believe and she said it’s too big for her lifestyle. I went to diamdb.com and did an 8x7 compared to a 7mm round since that’s what I’ll have in my 3 stone, and I think comparatively it looked ok. After trying a few CZ sizes on, I think 1.5 is probably on the top end of what I’d be comfortable with for a round solitaire. I had considered an 8mm/2carat but after seeing it on my hand, I was afraid I’d be hiding it all the time. I figure if I don’t love it or wear it often, I can always sell it on DB or LT. I might not get it all back, but enough to where it doesn’t hurt too bad. Lol!

I got a quote from Demi in 9k yellow gold, and after shipping it’ll be a little over $300. That’s also for an IJ stone, which I have yet to see. o_O I’m a little nervous about it, but I think it’ll be fine and look good in the yellow gold. I asked for pics or videos if they’ve ever done one that color, and I’m hoping to hear back tonight.

zeebo56

Rough_Rock

First one is 9.5x7 radiant brilliant DE

Second is 10x8 cushion brilliant DE

Do these look good to you all?

Supposedly better videos of my stones

Last edited:

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock

First one is 9.5x7 radiant brilliant DE

Second is 10x8 cushion brilliant DE

Do these look good to you all?

Supposedly better videos of my stones

I think the first stone looks better than the second one, tbh.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
For anyone interested, Demi sent me a pic of a stone they’ve cut before with the rounded corners and short culet like I requested. It’s really fuzzy, but appears to be what I’m looking for. I emailed her back this morning and she said she would send pics of the IJ ACC “tomorrow” which I assume means tonight here in the US. I’ll post those too when I receive them.

0ACF8EC2-B5EE-42F1-A73F-06B1F45D0644.jpeg

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Well, Demi sent me some pics and a video, but couldn’t tell me what color they all were. She said some are EF some are GH and I assume some are IJ? So I’m still confused. She said she would pick me the best cut IJ, send me more pics and videos, and if it’s too yellow or I don’t like the cut they can fix it before it ships.

I just didn’t want to post pics and not know what I’m posting. Lol. They did have some different cuts with larger culets that I found interesting. They looked like they had more body color so I think they were the IJ. Who the heck knows :lol-2:

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
This might be more of a jewelry question, but I thought I’d ask here in case anyone knew.

I think after a couple months I’m going to replace my Indian moissy pendant with a Chinese OEC. I’m not sure what the best way to go about it. The problem is, is that the setting I have right now is a half-bezel. I don’t think there is a way to remove the stone without destroying the bezel or the moissy...

3B0EF1CE-03D9-4DE2-ADF2-29F0E9890DFD.jpeg

So...I have three options:

1) I buy a loose OEC (either a GH or IJ color grade) from Starsgem and have my jeweler extract (re: destroy) the moissy in the bezel and replace it with the OEC, or

2) I have Starsgem replicate the half bezel design (which I like) with an OEC moissy and either keep or sell the original half bezel with the Indian moissy. Which I guess is fine but I notice that these Chinese vendors tend to make their bezels on the thicker side, which I don’t like. Or

3) buy a loose OEC and have my jeweler buy the same half bezel setting. I think this might be the most expensive option.

Thoughts? I just know I put too much thought into this. :roll::lol:

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
Personally I think I would go with #1, only because it seems like the most cost-effective way to get exactly what you want. But I suppose it depends in part on how much you like the Indian stone and if you’d be okay with it being destroyed. Otherwise, maybe #3, and then sell the original necklace and used the proceeds to offset it being a more expensive option? If you go with #2 and don’t like the bezel, then it seems like you’d just have a different problem.
This might be more of a jewelry question, but I thought I’d ask here in case anyone knew.

I think after a couple months I’m going to replace my Indian moissy pendant with a Chinese OEC. I’m not sure what the best way to go about it. The problem is, is that the setting I have right now is a half-bezel. I don’t think there is a way to remove the stone without destroying the bezel or the moissy...

1) I buy a loose OEC (either a GH or IJ color grade) from Starsgem and have my jeweler extract (re: destroy) the moissy in the bezel and replace it with the OEC, or

2) I have Starsgem replicate the half bezel design (which I like) with an OEC moissy and either keep or sell the original half bezel with the Indian moissy. Which I guess is fine but I notice that these Chinese vendors tend to make their bezels on the thicker side, which I don’t like. Or

3) buy a loose OEC and have my jeweler buy the same half bezel setting. I think this might be the most expensive option.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I think I would go with #1, only because it seems like the most cost-effective way to get exactly what you want. But I suppose it depends in part on how much you like the Indian stone and if you’d be okay with it being destroyed. Otherwise, maybe #3, and then sell the original necklace and used the proceeds to offset it being a more expensive option? If you go with #2 and don’t like the bezel, then it seems like you’d just have a different problem.
Good points, thanks for your suggestions. I think #1 might be the best choice, IMO. I do like the setting; I just don’t like the stone anymore. :oops: Been spoiled by the Chinese moissys... :lol:

jrzgrl1119

Shiny_Rock
For anyone interested, Demi sent me a pic of a stone they’ve cut before with the rounded corners and short culet like I requested. It’s really fuzzy, but appears to be what I’m looking for. I emailed her back this morning and she said she would send pics of the IJ ACC “tomorrow” which I assume means tonight here in the US. I’ll post those too when I receive them.

0ACF8EC2-B5EE-42F1-A73F-06B1F45D0644.jpeg

It looks very pretty! How much was your ring? Is it an 8x7 stone?

jrzgrl1119

Shiny_Rock

Have you spoken with your local jeweler? Are you sure the stone can't be removed without it being destroyed?

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Have you spoken with your local jeweler? Are you sure the stone can't be removed without it being destroyed?
I haven’t but I’ll ask. While my jeweler is really talented, I think he will still need to cut part of the bezel in order to remove the stone. I guess he could try to pry the bezel open with heat since it’s just a half-bezel, but I fear it would ruin the integrity of the metal.

Either way, it’s not gonna happen for a while. I need to make sure enough time has passed until my bf is over my jewelry shopping spree. :whistle::lol:

zeebo56

Rough_Rock
IMG_0888.jpg

So not the best picture but my two DE moissys arrived to the jeweler. They said the 8x10 cushion had more sparkle than the 7x9.5 radiant cut. You can see the videos I posted in an earlier post.

I'm thinking I'll put the cushion in the ring I'm getting made even though the gf likes the radiant cut shape more.

I will post up final pics and stuff when I get the moissy.

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
IMG_0888.jpg

So not the best picture but my two DE moissys arrived to the jeweler. They said the 8x10 cushion had more sparkle than the 7x9.5 radiant cut. You can see the videos I posted in an earlier post.

I'm thinking I'll put the cushion in the ring I'm getting made even though the gf likes the radiant cut shape more.

I will post up final pics and stuff when I get the moissy.
wow that cushion looks beautiful!

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone know/have an estimate on their production time? My stone was cut over 2 weeks ago and I approved my final CAD last Monday and was wonderingi how long it might take for the ring to be finished? Waiting is the hardest part! :blackeye:

zeebo56

Rough_Rock
wow that cushion looks beautiful!

In the picture it looks so much better than the radiant cut. But the jeweler said there isn't much difference in person. He said if the radiant cut was the preferred cut then I should do the radiant. So torn on what to choose since I can't see them in person.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In the picture it looks so much better than the radiant cut. But the jeweler said there isn't much difference in person. He said if the radiant cut was the preferred cut then I should do the radiant. So torn on what to choose since I can't see them in person.

I always prefer a cushion but if you trust the jeweler’s opinions, I’d set the one she wants.

zeebo56

Rough_Rock
Everyone including the jeweler said the cushion was better.

Looks like I'll be trying to sell the radiant cut one when I get it. I'll post pics and stuff when I get the final ring in my hands :)

Thanks

1amaN00b

Rough_Rock
I want to check to see if ppl had success with Starsgem's rings. Thinking of getting a solitaire 8mm ring for my mom. I already ordered earrings and pendant in one shot. Figure I'll add on the ring and get everything done at once. The ring is simple so I would hope there should not be any room for errors. Thoughts?

Last edited:

tpl001

Rough_Rock
Since I learned a lot from this thread, I would like to share my experience to other newbies like me. The ring below is 7x9mm ACC in platinum. I worked with Mona formerly from SG. Thank to @swaye2010 input here for my CAD. The ring turned out perfectly. Here is some of the pics that I posted on Mona thread:
_20190321_145249.JPG DSC_0030.jpg DSC_0016.jpg

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Since I learned a lot from this thread, I would like to share my experience to other newbies like me. The ring below is 7x9mm ACC in platinum. I worked with Mona formerly from SG. Thank to @swaye2010 input here for my CAD. The ring turned out perfectly. Here is some of the pics that I posted on Mona thread:
_20190321_145249.JPG DSC_0030.jpg DSC_0016.jpg
Wow! That looks great...Is this colorless or did you go with G/H? It is the perfect ring to mix any band or stack with. Congrats! :appl::appl:

tpl001

Rough_Rock
Wow! That looks great...Is this colorless or did you go with G/H? It is the perfect ring to mix any band or stack with. Congrats! :appl::appl:

Thank you very much. I ordered G/H stone but Mona said she got a good rough stone so it turned out to be DEF stone. She said I am lucky haha =)2=)2=)2

Megra_amazona

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much. I ordered G/H stone but Mona said she got a good rough stone so it turned out to be DEF stone. She said I am lucky haha =)2=)2=)2

Congratulations on your ring!!! Can you please post videos so we can see that beauty sparkle?

baileydare16

Shiny_Rock
Ahhh all this waiting is killing me! It’s been two weeks now and I haven’t heard anything so I messaged Grace asking for an update. She said wait a few minutes but that was 4 hours ago so I asked again and said i’d just like a quick update. I feel like I’m bothering her haha

tpl001

Rough_Rock
Ahhh all this waiting is killing me! It’s been two weeks now and I haven’t heard anything so I messaged Grace asking for an update. She said wait a few minutes but that was 4 hours ago so I asked again and said i’d just like a quick update. I feel like I’m bothering her haha
It takes about 3 weeks to complete a ring after CAD and stone ready. Depend on how complex your ring is. Yeah waiting is a pain. My simple ring take 2.5 weeks.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thought I should update! This is my 5x5mm :)

The band came a LOT thinner than I'd expected. It pretty much measures at 1-1.1mm. I was pretty surprised, since I'd ordered 1.6, but maybe it was my fault for not confirming what the post-polishing width would be. It feels a little too dainty, but it's pretty enough for me to live with :)

Now I'm tempted to get larger sizes... I'm really enjoying looking at the facets!

IMG_20190325_215803.jpg
That shouldn’t be so thin. Their tolerance is supposed to be .2mm at the most. I can’t tell if your ring is a knife edge from the top. Do you have your CAD?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i can't tell the scale in the photo but that band looks thicker than 1mm to me....the 1mm rings i've seen look like string, you must have very dainty hands!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
So...I asked to see an OEC from Starsgem because I was thinking about getting a bezel pendant from them. I was not impressed with the cut at all. I've never seen this cut before, am I crazy?

I may just ask Mona to do it. I don't even want to bother with Tianyu because they've gotten too expensive :(

IMG-20190325-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20190325-WA0007.jpg IMG-20190325-WA0004.jpg

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
So...I asked to see an OEC from Starsgem because I was thinking about getting a bezel pendant from them. I was not impressed with the cut at all. I've never seen this cut before, am I crazy?

I may just ask Mona to do it. I don't even want to bother with Tianyu because they've gotten too expensive :(

IMG-20190325-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20190325-WA0007.jpg IMG-20190325-WA0004.jpg
That’s not a very good picture. If you look through the early pages of this thread you can see what they look like. I do prefer the one from Tianyu myself though. The SG one has much thicker petals in the center so it can ‘grey out’ in certain lights. I think to get what you want, it would be best to find a pic of it and send it to SG or Mona so they cut it exactly the way you like. OEC’s always look so different depending on who is cutting them. I always have my stones cut so I get exactly what I like vs any of the ‘off the shelf’ stones. I probably only pay maybe $20 more or sometimes, they don’t have them in stock so I don’t pay anything.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
That’s not a very good picture. If you look through the early pages of this thread you can see what they look like. I do prefer the one from Tianyu myself though. The SG one has much thicker petals in the center so it can ‘grey out’ in certain lights. I think to get what you want, it would be best to find a pic of it and send it to SG or Mona so they cut it exactly the way you like. OEC’s always look so different depending on who is cutting them. I always have my stones cut so I get exactly what I like vs any of the ‘off the shelf’ stones. I probably only pay maybe $20 more or sometimes, they don’t have them in stock so I don’t pay anything.
For me, I can see that the petals aren't defined in the center; it looks like a pinwheel to me. I think there are some OECs that are designed like that, but I personally am not a fan. I'll try to ask what I would like. I did see that Mona has been making some really beautiful OECs and I was even impressed with the OEC she gave me, albeit it wasn't in a color I preferred. I only went with Starsgem because I figured it would be less money, although maybe I can ask them if I can make an OEC to what I like like you suggested.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results