shape
carat
color
clarity

Moissanite rings from Starsgem on ebay (starsgem8)

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @maredith I have gone to Mona and asked her thoughts. If it was Single prongs I would but with double I am worried they will detract too much. Arghhhh and I thought copying someone’s design would mean I wouldn’t have to make any decisions :lol:

Penny, it's so beautiful in yellow gold, I can't wait to see it.
I wanted all yellow gold but made the switch too late and it couldn't be done. I just hope they nail the prongs because they will be more noticeable in yellow gold. Post whatever videos and pics she sends to you here so we can have a look.

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
Nice sleep in @chunkyfacetlover no such luck here!

I ordered a clone of your ring (I hope you don't mind) except in Yellow Gold. I was worried my nickel allergy might play up otherwise. I hope it turns out as beautifully as yours

I don't mind at all except I'm a little jelly yours will be in yellow gold. The only thing that bugs me is in some lighting, the EF melee is a little brighter than the center stone. Keep asking if they have GH melee, maybe they'd be willing to custom cut some for you?

My ring is set in white gold which seems to make the melee glow even more. Maybe the yellow gold will help the melee look a little warmer? I'm not sure.

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I've been lurking a long time and have fallen in love with the Rachel dupe some of you have recreated. I am going to be engaged soon and interested in ordering my engagement ring through Stargems.

I am worried about the melee, I've heard that pave bands are prone to more damage, lost stones etc How are you planning to get that fixed, local jeweler? There aren't too many moissanite jewelers, so I'm worried. I thought perhaps a bright cut pave band woukd be a better choice.

I've found the following image online and am in love with the style. Do you think Stargems is capable of pulling it off?

r7622-3-wy.jpg
I want a shank that tapers from the stone from small to large with one side of pave not 3.

Thank you so much for all your help. I'm so astonished how helpful this community is.

If this is your forever engagement ring, ask Stargems to give you a quote with lab grown diamond melee. My ring is quite sturdy and well made. I don't expect to lose any melee but then again, I don't wear this ring everyday. It's a casual fashion ring worn on date night and the such.

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
If this is your forever engagement ring, ask Stargems to give you a quote with lab grown diamond melee. My ring is quite sturdy and well made. I don't expect to lose any melee but then again, I don't wear this ring everyday. It's a casual fashion ring worn on date night and the such.

Yes, they should be able to pull it off. Are there additional pics of the basket/underside of the ring?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
@chunkyfacetlover I am waiting for your pics before I pull the trigger on my ring. At the moment thinking of something very like yours I am weighing up yellow gold as most of my things are yellow gold or at least mixed gold (white prongs/head and yellow band) I have read if your stone has some colour then a yellow band is a better bet. Anyone have thoughts on this as the stone would be a G/H colour.

Also (sorry for the questions) could I ask roughly what your ring cost? Sorry don’t answer if you would prefer not too. I am just trying to ensure my quote is ok as I am using my Christmas present $$ to pay for it.
My vote is to keep it yellow. The double claw prongs are so tiny IRL that I don’t think they will detract from the stone. I would ask about the lab diamond melee as well. I am pretty sure that Tianyu is doing G/H moissanite melee down to 2mm. I am going to check with Cherry to see what is on the horizon. The good thing is the more we ask, the more adjustments that make....

Lanasiv

Rough_Rock
Yes, they should be able to pull it off. Are there additional pics of the basket/underside of the ring?
bright-cut-pave-side-side-ring.jpg

This is the basket I want, I don't want it to sit too high.

r4221_027wx1.jpg

This is the basket for the original but I prefer the other one.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

I've been lurking a long time and have fallen in love with the Rachel dupe some of you have recreated. I am going to be engaged soon and interested in ordering my engagement ring through Stargems.

I am worried about the melee, I've heard that pave bands are prone to more damage, lost stones etc How are you planning to get that fixed, local jeweler? There aren't too many moissanite jewelers, so I'm worried. I thought perhaps a bright cut pave band woukd be a better choice.

I've found the following image online and am in love with the style. Do you think Stargems is capable of pulling it off?

r7622-3-wy.jpg
I want a shank that tapers from the stone from small to large with one side of pave not 3.

Thank you so much for all your help. I'm so astonished how helpful this community is.
Yes, I think you can do this ring but there are some considerations. What size center stone do you want, antique cut and color? I have had the square version of this antique cut and it looked good in most light but slightly dead in daylight. The elongated version is so much nicer or you can do another version like I did that was a chubby cushion but it still had a long, thin culet (my personal favorite). I am currently working on something similar to what you posted but I am doing it in the US but with a SG stone for cost savings. They can re-create this design but as other’s had mentioned, we need some more side views to help guide you. I still don’t think a pave band should be under 2mm but that is just me. I think going too thin, with not enough metal, is asking to lose stones. You can always order a loose bag of extra moissanites for replacements that a jeweler can do. Another option is to add lab diamonds. If you do pave on one side, I would taper it down say from 2.5 or 2.3 down to 2 mm at the bottom (depending on how far down the shank you go). I see the miligrain edge there as well. I think SG does a decent miligrain but it is machine applied. If you want it perfect, you can always send it to David Klass to be hand applied for a couple hundred. It depends again on if this is an e-ring or just an extra ring on the detail you want. I would suggest going with a G/H stone in an antique cut but that also means the melee will be a bit whiter unless you switch to lab diamonds.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
bright-cut-pave-side-side-ring.jpg

This is the basket I want, I don't want it to sit too high.

r4221_027wx1.jpg

This is the basket for the original but I prefer the other one.
Yes, that is simple enough to do. Think about the other suggestions so you are sure what you want before contacting them.

Lanasiv

Rough_Rock
Yes, I think you can do this ring but there are some considerations. What size center stone do you want, antique cut and color? I have had the square version of this antique cut and it looked good in most light but slightly dead in daylight. The elongated version is so much nicer or you can do another version like I did that was a chubby cushion but it still had a long, thin culet (my personal favorite). I am currently working on something similar to what you posted but I am doing it in the US but with a SG stone for cost savings. They can re-create this design but as other’s had mentioned, we need some more side views to help guide you. I still don’t think a pave band should be under 2mm but that is just me. I think going too thin, with not enough metal, is asking to lose stones. You can always order a loose bag of extra moissanites for replacements that a jeweler can do. Another option is to add lab diamonds. If you do pave on one side, I would taper it down say from 2.5 or 2.3 down to 2 mm at the bottom (depending on how far down the shank you go). I see the miligrain edge there as well. I think SG does a decent miligrain but it is machine applied. If you want it perfect, you can always send it to David Klass to be hand applied for a couple hundred. It depends again on if this is an e-ring or just an extra ring on the detail you want. I would suggest going with a G/H stone in an antique cut but that also means the melee will be a bit whiter unless you switch to lab diamonds.

I'm looking to for a ACC center stone in either 8x6 or 9x7. I'm getting mixed results of the new, 8x6 is close to 1 CT and 9x7 2 CT. So that'll be an elongated antique cushion cut .
I was thinking of a center stone of GH colour since I've seen all the videos of the stone here and they look beautiful. I don't like a going flat or grey so I'd rather stick with GH than DEF .
I'm in Canada so not sure either want to go with David Klass but I think I'll be fine with the machine applied milgrain. This will be my engagement ring .

I'd also like a reverse tapered shank and a maximum size of 2 mm . So I was thinking melee of 1.8mm? Here is the shank I'd like,

Bright-Cut-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-W-top-100406.jpg

Bright-Cut-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-W-side-100406.jpg

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Couple of pics I found of the Rachel while stalking have made me even more confused.

Comparisons below of all gold and two tone.

Mona is sending an updated CAD tomorrow for me I do really like the all gold but fear the prongs would annoy me in the end. Especially if they don’t nail them.

159EAD19-A0EE-4450-B1FD-740A70145742.jpeg 72803EC7-CBB7-442D-ADA2-0253185880DF.jpeg ECB2342A-4BA8-4146-B8F4-8EEEE9DC6137.jpeg 697B65FE-1E25-4181-843E-EADE39E87364.jpeg

Hi @Lanasiv yes that Rachel ring has been serious inspo and if it wasn’t for the super helpful and knowledgeable ladies on here I would be lost. I don’t know too much about pave and issues with it falling out. I did have a channel set wedding band and the diamonds kept falling out of that but I think it was poorly made. I think someone on here might know more than me however.

Thanks @chunkyfacetlover and @swaye2010 I will ask about the GH melee.

The lovely Mona sent me a CAD today with a white gold band and yellow prongs. Poor lady is overworked I think safe to say I won’t be doing that one.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Also thinking if they can’t do GH melee I would be better off having them set in yellow and the stone in white @chunkyfacetlover the difference may be less noticeable

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I vote for all yellow!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Also thinking if they can’t do GH melee I would be better off having them set in yellow and the stone in white @chunkyfacetlover the difference may be less noticeable
This is personal choice. I had them both ways and just got used to them they way they were. In blown up pictures, the prongs always look huge but you can barely notice them IRL. You will notice them more if they are yellow though and that is really up for you to decide what suits you best. That would mean that the head would have to be white and you have to worry about dipping issues with rhodium plating on half of the ring. Not as often as an entirely white gold ring but still something to consider.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I'm looking to for a ACC center stone in either 8x6 or 9x7. I'm getting mixed results of the new, 8x6 is close to 1 CT and 9x7 2 CT. So that'll be an elongated antique cushion cut .
I was thinking of a center stone of GH colour since I've seen all the videos of the stone here and they look beautiful. I don't like a going flat or grey so I'd rather stick with GH than DEF .
I'm in Canada so not sure either want to go with David Klass but I think I'll be fine with the machine applied milgrain. This will be my engagement ring .

I'd also like a reverse tapered shank and a maximum size of 2 mm . So I was thinking melee of 1.8mm? Here is the shank I'd like,

DDC6B97E-DBA8-4291-9630-ED0A7D09D912.png

I think this chart works well with determing equivalent carat weight for the elongated ACC. I would go with the 9x7 as they face up smaller than an equivalent round and you can still see the details in the facets of the antique cut. The last picture you linked is in reverse of the Leon Mege setting. It is probably closer to 2mm at the bottom of the shank and will taper up at the top to something like 1.4 mm. The melee will probably be closer to 1.5-1.6 mm in the widest part but see what they can do if you don’t want a band any wider than 2 mm total.

Also let them know that the measurements you are asking for is where you would like the band to finish and they may have to show it a little wider on the shank because they seem to shave around .2 mm off every time they finish polishing.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @swaye2010 that is something to consider. I am sure I will like it either way and I am probably overthinking it. Will have another look at both pictures above and go with my guy

Lanasiv

Rough_Rock
That chart is amazing, exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you!

I liked the Leon Mege picture for all the details it showed, but yes I want a reverse tapered by the stone. Do you think 1.4 mm would compromise the ring in any way? I know I've read that shanks shouldn't be thinner than 1.5mm . I don't want the stone to be set too high, what do you think is a good size?

Thanks for all the details .❤️:love: I will message some of the agents tonight.

Lanasiv

Rough_Rock
Couple of pics I found of the Rachel while stalking have made me even more confused.

Comparisons below of all gold and two tone.

Mona is sending an updated CAD tomorrow for me I do really like the all gold but fear the prongs would annoy me in the end. Especially if they don’t nail them.

159EAD19-A0EE-4450-B1FD-740A70145742.jpeg 72803EC7-CBB7-442D-ADA2-0253185880DF.jpeg ECB2342A-4BA8-4146-B8F4-8EEEE9DC6137.jpeg 697B65FE-1E25-4181-843E-EADE39E87364.jpeg

Hi @Lanasiv yes that Rachel ring has been serious inspo and if it wasn’t for the super helpful and knowledgeable ladies on here I would be lost. I don’t know too much about pave and issues with it falling out. I did have a channel set wedding band and the diamonds kept falling out of that but I think it was poorly made. I think someone on here might know more than me however.

Thanks @chunkyfacetlover and @swaye2010 I will ask about the GH melee.

The lovely Mona sent me a CAD today with a white gold band and yellow prongs. Poor lady is overworked I think safe to say I won’t be doing that one.

Hi Penny,

I know, I'm so grateful for the lovely ladies.
I hope my ring is better made than your channel set.
o_O

I can't wait to see tour Rachel ring =)2

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
That chart is amazing, exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you!

I liked the Leon Mege picture for all the details it showed, but yes I want a reverse tapered by the stone. Do you think 1.4 mm would compromise the ring in any way? I know I've read that shanks shouldn't be thinner than 1.5mm . I don't want the stone to be set too high, what do you think is a good size?

Thanks for all the details .❤️:love: I will message some of the agents tonight.
The 1.4 mm is just at the very top and I don’t think that will be too much of a problem. It might end up being even 1.5 mm. It will just depend on how small you want that taper and how small their melee comes in to accommodate it. Most of the damage to rings happens at the bottom and sometimes the sides. I would try to keep as much of the shank at around 2mm and have it taper towards the top and the melee will also get smaller as it reaches the top. I would only show SG the reverse taper picture so they don’t get too confused and then the side view of the profile you showed. This is a very doable project for them and if you are sure what you want, just let them know and they will set up your CAD accordingly. Not sure of your finger size but most people keep the thickness in the range of 1.6-18 mm and that will keep it sturdy enough so that it will last and not get dented over time.

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock

The basket you want is simple enough, very similar to the basket on my ring. They definitely should be able to do a final width of 2mm with 1.8mm stones. I was going back and forth between 2mm stones, 2.2mm final width or 1.8mm stones/2mm width. If you want the ring to look more delicate, go with 1.8mm stones/ 2mm width.

Like I mentioned before, the moissy sidestones are fine for a fashion ring but for a forever ring, get a quote for GH diamonds. I say that because the ultra white ef stones in some lighting look too bright. I ordered a band from Berricle and it has the same bright look as the ring on my band so now I'm not as annoyed, lol.

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
Two tone could definitely work. The prongs are definitely smaller in real life but not invisible! I can definitely see them. I'm happy I had them work on them.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
@chunkyfacetlover I have gone with all yellow gold and have asked special care be taken with the prongs. All my rings are two tone so I wanted a change

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
Hi All, I hope you can help me with the CADs for the earrings. I have requested for 8x7mm earring studs in 14k yellow gold with double clawed prongs in white with screw back fittings. SG has sent the CADs, any feedback would be appreciated. IMG-20190103-WA0001.jpg

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All, I hope you can help me with the CADs for the earrings. I have requested for 8x7mm earring studs in 14k yellow gold with double clawed prongs in white with screw back fittings. SG has sent the CADs, any feedback would be appreciated. IMG-20190103-WA0001.jpg
I don’t see anything wrong with the CAD per se, but if your stone size is 8x7 for each stud, that is pretty big. Many people choose that as a center stone ring size. The problem with the cushion’s are that they are very deep stones. An 8x7 is about a 2 carat equivalent and I am not sure how flush one can get this to the earlobe when it is that deep. Might be kind of heavy as well and fall forward unless the earring backings are really strong. I would think a 3x5 or 4x6 would be the max for earrings but that is just my opinion.

Lanasiv

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the suggestions ladies. I want the option to wear a band down the road, even though I don't like the look of it. Will the basket I posted allow for that ?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for all the suggestions ladies. I want the option to wear a band down the road, even though I don't like the look of it. Will the basket I posted allow for that ?
Yes, you can fit a band but they will most likely sit next to each other rather than a flush fit. That is the trade off with these low settings and elongated cuts. If you went to a cathedral setting, it can still be set low enough to get a band flush if they are designed together. You can look through earlier pages on this thread for some ideas.

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
Stargems has GH moissanite melee for sale on their aliexpress/alibaba store so now I am PISSED. I specifically asked Mona if I could have 2mm GH melee and she said no. Please insist on GH melee as the brighter melee might drive you nuts! It's only $15 for a bag of those things, ugh!!!

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...ml?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.4.41fd5e51kMSlB9

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
I don’t see anything wrong with the CAD per se, but if your stone size is 8x7 for each stud, that is pretty big. Many people choose that as a center stone ring size. The problem with the cushion’s are that they are very deep stones. An 8x7 is about a 2 carat equivalent and I am not sure how flush one can get this to the earlobe when it is that deep. Might be kind of heavy as well and fall forward unless the earring backings are really strong. I would think a 3x5 or 4x6 would be the max for earrings but that is just my opinion.

Swaye makes excellent points. I just want to add that if you bring down the stone size, you might want to switch to single claw prongs.

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
Swaye makes excellent points. I just want to add that if you bring down the stone size, you might want to switch to single claw prongs.
Thank you for your valuable feedback @swaye2010 and @chunkyfacetlover. I have always wanted earrings that are about 4ctw in size and I have tried it in rounds and it has suited me. Well I always wanted to get ones in cushion, and something in antique cuts hence this style and size. Is there something I can ask them to do to give me post backs in a way that would stop them from drooping and also something very secure? I think to make them less heavy I will request for single prongs rather than double. What is your thoughts on that?

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
Alternatively do you think instead of studs I should go with this style as size of the stones are big? cushion_cut_drop_earrings_platinum_estate_org_z.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results