shape
carat
color
clarity

Moissanite rings from Starsgem on ebay (starsgem8)

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
She popped the stone on Instagram too it looks lovely

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I’m thinking of dipping my toe into moissanite and ordering a pair of OECs for some studs. I contacted Stargems through eBay, they said they’d choose a pair for me, but I’d have to order first and then they can send photos. Is that pretty standard? Also, do I need to specify anything about the cut, or are they all cut pretty much the same? Anything else I need to communicate to them with my order? Would appreciate any guidance you can offer!

Keeni

Rough_Rock
Good morning! I'm new here, but have been happily lurking for a while. I'd like your opinions on this CAD. My inspiration is this DK ring:

upload_2019-1-10_8-9-8.png
upload_2019-1-10_8-10-11.png
upload_2019-1-10_8-10-40.png

upload_2019-1-10_8-11-13.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-10_8-8-25.png
    upload_2019-1-10_8-8-25.png
    374.3 KB · Views: 140

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
So I’m thinking of dipping my toe into moissanite and ordering a pair of OECs for some studs. I contacted Stargems through eBay, they said they’d choose a pair for me, but I’d have to order first and then they can send photos. Is that pretty standard? Also, do I need to specify anything about the cut, or are they all cut pretty much the same? Anything else I need to communicate to them with my order? Would appreciate any guidance you can offer!
Do they have a pair available or is she saying you have to order them because they need to be cut especially for you? If that is the case, I would look for an OEC cut that you like and send it to them so they know which you prefer. They do have a sort of standard cut that has a pretty small culet and a grey center with bigger flower petals. If that is the look you like. If not, I would send them some inspiration pictures first and verify they can do that for you before you pay.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do they have a pair available or is she saying you have to order them because they need to be cut especially for you? If that is the case, I would look for an OEC cut that you like and send it to them so they know which you prefer. They do have a sort of standard cut that has a pretty small culet and a grey center with bigger flower petals. If that is the look you like. If not, I would send them some inspiration pictures first and verify they can do that for you before you pay.

Thanks so much, Swaye! They said the stones would need to be custom cut to make sure they’re a good match. I asked if they could make sure that they’re not dark under the table, but I didn’t get any response to that. I’ll see if I can find a photo to send them, I wonder if they really customize the cut much though.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much, Swaye! They said the stones would need to be custom cut to make sure they’re a good match. I asked if they could make sure that they’re not dark under the table, but I didn’t get any response to that. I’ll see if I can find a photo to send them, I wonder if they really customize the cut much though.
You can customize it if they haven’t cut it yet. If not, they should be able to show you a few loose to choose from.

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
I would go with the G/H moissanite then for color matching since I think you said you were going to do a center of G/H. I think the most important thing is to get the matching melee personally.

Agreed! Match the melee to the center stone.

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
She also sent me a brief video of the stones that are going to be set in earring stud, 8x7mm ACCs in GH colour. I couldn't make much out but what do you think of the stones?

The stones look beautiful. I can't wait to see pics of the earrings on your ears!

Reactions: Rpb

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
B1CBCFF6-C762-43C7-990C-9FAF16599323.jpeg C9A4664E-AA01-4B14-9DDD-9B9219F231FA.jpeg 5E40EECF-6F37-46B3-93BF-C29FA2797F5F.jpeg
My stone has been done :)

Can I have the lovely ps ladies advice and thoughts ?

Hi Penny, the stone looks amazing. I like the cut. So sorry I've been MIA, I started a new job that starts at 7AM and I've been getting off at 6-7PM, then I'm still making dinner and stuff and literally passing out at 9, which used to be the time I would surf the web. Ugh!

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
IMG-20190111-WA0000.jpg

Here's my stone, how does it look?

The Elongated ACC seems to be a cut that SG has nailed. I haven't seen a bad stone and I'm still loving mine. It looks the prettiest in sunlight. I just love how it doesn't go flat or weird in different lighting like the rounds and other cuts can.

chunkyfacetlover

Shiny_Rock
Good morning! I'm new here, but have been happily lurking for a while. I'd like your opinions on this CAD. My inspiration is this DK ring:

Wowzers! That's a breathtaking ring! I don't see any measurements on the CAD. It would be good to know the following:
Width of band at the thinnest and thickest points
The height on the top of the ring
The thickness of the band on the bottom
The thickness on top and finally...
the measurements of the taper from the top to the bottom

Also some other things to consider:
DK makes all his rings by hand so the milgrain is much finer than what a machine can do. I have seen some examples of milgrain from Tianyu, but I'm not sure I have seen any from SG, I'll have to go through the thread to see if I can find some examples. Just know that SG might not be able to produce such dainty milgrain since it isn't done by hand.

Lanasiv

Rough_Rock
The Elongated ACC seems to be a cut that SG has nailed. I haven't seen a bad stone and I'm still loving mine. It looks the prettiest in sunlight. I just love how it doesn't go flat or weird in different lighting like the rounds and other cuts can.

Yay! It does look really pretty! Thanks!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You can customize it if they haven’t cut it yet. If not, they should be able to show you a few loose to choose from.

Thanks again! Just looked over their email, it sounds more like they’ll be picking two matching stones rather than cutting them to order. Anyway, I just placed an order and asked for what I’d like to see in the stones. I’ll post pictures once I get them!

Keeni

Rough_Rock
Wowzers! That's a breathtaking ring! I don't see any measurements on the CAD. It would be good to know the following:
Width of band at the thinnest and thickest points
The height on the top of the ring
The thickness of the band on the bottom
The thickness on top and finally...
the measurements of the taper from the top to the bottom

Also some other things to consider:
DK makes all his rings by hand so the milgrain is much finer than what a machine can do. I have seen some examples of milgrain from Tianyu, but I'm not sure I have seen any from SG, I'll have to go through the thread to see if I can find some examples. Just know that SG might not be able to produce such dainty milgrain since it isn't done by hand.
Thank you so much! I will circle back with Jocie to get those details. Perhaps I can consider having Starsgem make the ring and DK do the milgrain.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock

It is hard to tell from the inspiration picture if there are 3 or 4 of the bezel stones that are the same size. The CAD does seem to capture the style though. I assume the width is going to be around 4.3 and tapers down to 2.5 or something like that based on your stone sizes. You might want to get the dimensions and height just to be sure though.

I have a bezel style ring from SG and they can do the miligrain like your picture. It is machine applied but they did manage to get it ‘fine’ enough that it looks the same like your pic. I think you will be okay with SG doing it.

94CB451F-2038-49F9-B5E0-7DFB55EFA349.jpeg

Keeni

Rough_Rock
It is hard to tell from the inspiration picture if there are 3 or 4 of the bezel stones that are the same size. The CAD does seem to capture the style though. I assume the width is going to be around 4.3 and tapers down to 2.5 or something like that based on your stone sizes. You might want to get the dimensions and height just to be sure though.

I have a bezel style ring from SG and they can do the miligrain like your picture. It is machine applied but they did manage to get it ‘fine’ enough that it looks the same like your pic. I think you will be okay with SG doing it.

94CB451F-2038-49F9-B5E0-7DFB55EFA349.jpeg
Thank you so much! Really appreciate all of the expertise here!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
8486F80B-2A3E-4B13-8777-ACA3F4596689.png E57F2EDB-D257-40E0-B1F9-59C72705EC22.png
Got some photos of the stones that I ordered, they seem well matched. Not sure about the light return under the table, but it seems they’re all cut the same way. What do you guys think?

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
8486F80B-2A3E-4B13-8777-ACA3F4596689.png E57F2EDB-D257-40E0-B1F9-59C72705EC22.png
Got some photos of the stones that I ordered, they seem well matched. Not sure about the light return under the table, but it seems they’re all cut the same way. What do you guys think?
They look gorgeous @alene, loving the flowery facets...

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
71F9CCFA-118B-4B85-8204-EDD4464535DB.jpeg 4CA7A8ED-0B83-4A3B-A205-B79BD1871DEE.jpeg 23A9BACB-2F09-4DB3-8A4D-F3C0AB7F5F3C.jpeg
Hi all Mona has sent pics and video of the finished ring (she mentioned there was a small adjustment to be made before it was finished I am waiting to hear what it is)

Could I ask for feedback please especially from @chunkyfacetlover whose ring I shamelessly copied. You would know what to look for better than anyone.

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
OMG @Pennyc it's TDF, very gorgeous...I have also given order for ACC earrings, so looking forward to seeing them...can I know what size and colour it is?

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
OMG @Pennyc it's TDF, very gorgeous...I have also given order for ACC earrings, so looking forward to seeing them...can I know what size and colour it is?

Thanks Rpb it is a GH colour and I believe the size was 9 x 11. I think it looks gorgeous but I won't feel safe saying ship it till I hear from my PS valuers :lol:

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Ok Mona has sent another video after making it “even more beautiful” she said :D

I think I’m in love

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results