shape
carat
color
clarity

Moissanite rings from Starsgem on ebay (starsgem8)

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
The ring looks amazing @Pennyc

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
I just got an email from Mona saying she is finishing up at Starsgem.

She let me know Cherry is taking over for her current clients

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
Those of you who have bought an OEC from SG—did you just buy from stock (on eBay or elsewhere) or did you contact a sales rep to have something custom cut?

Also, curious to hear reasons why you went with SG over Tianyu. I’ve read that Tianyu is thought to have a better OEC, but looking at some comparison videos, I find myself preferring SG’s. I’ve already bought and returned a stone from an Indian vendor and one from a US vendor, so really hoping to get something I love this time around.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Hi bbk0885

I chose Starsgem off the back of the gorgeous ring they made for chunkyfacetlover I wanted to same thing so it was an easy decision for me.

Also price comparisons on similar rings SG seemed a reasonable amount cheaper

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
Hi bbk0885

I chose Starsgem off the back of the gorgeous ring they made for chunkyfacetlover I wanted to same thing so it was an easy decision for me.

Also price comparisons on similar rings SG seemed a reasonable amount cheaper

Thanks for the input! Your ring looks crazy gorgeous, so I would say you made an excellent choice. :love:

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @bbk0885 she sent me one more video and asked permission to post it on insta. It should ship Monday so excited

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
Cherry has sent the video of the earrings finally, some feedback on the prongs and quality control would be great!!!
IMG-20190121-WA0001.jpg

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
Those of you who have bought an OEC from SG—did you just buy from stock (on eBay or elsewhere) or did you contact a sales rep to have something custom cut?

Also, curious to hear reasons why you went with SG over Tianyu. I’ve read that Tianyu is thought to have a better OEC, but looking at some comparison videos, I find myself preferring SG’s. I’ve already bought and returned a stone from an Indian vendor and one from a US vendor, so really hoping to get something I love this time around.

I just bought one off eBay. After I made the purchase I messaged them through eBay to have it cut likke the Harro Gem OEC and attached pics. it shipped the next day, so either they cut really fast or they just gave me what they had in stock. Regardless, I really liked the stone.

As for SG vs. Tianyu...I chose SG simply for the ease of using eBay. When I ordered it was before everyone knew their direct email addresses and I was not about to go through Alibaba.

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
Also, I'm selling my loose emerald cut if anyone's interested!

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
Totally get it, that is part of the appeal to me, too. I actually already tried ordering with Tianyu and ended up in a Paypal snafu. That’s when I decided to pause and look into more options.

I just bought one off eBay. After I made the purchase I messaged them through eBay to have it cut likke the Harro Gem OEC and attached pics. it shipped the next day, so either they cut really fast or they just gave me what they had in stock. Regardless, I really liked the stone.

As for SG vs. Tianyu...I chose SG simply for the ease of using eBay. When I ordered it was before everyone knew their direct email addresses and I was not about to go through Alibaba.

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
Totally get it, that is part of the appeal to me, too. I actually already tried ordering with Tianyu and ended up in a Paypal snafu. That’s when I decided to pause and look into more options.

Mine is on page 1 of this thread, toward the bottom. I really liked it, but decided that I really want a diamond for my wedding set.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thinking of getting a quote from Ella to make this BE setting with a 7mm OEC. Any thoughts on whether this would be a good project for them? I’ve seen some prong problems in this thread, but generally it seems like plain solitaires are pretty safe? (ETA: I can get a very similar setting from an Etsy vendor for $345, so that is the price tag I’m comparing against.)
B6FCC863-EA9E-4C8F-A34E-0EAA6C465773.jpeg 99CED7B5-0277-4448-8691-2FF1645BDE7C.jpeg EF7C09F3-BF78-4841-B314-F3EB42799C4C.jpeg
I think this is a pretty safe project for them. Tianyu can make a similar ring but on solitaiire’s, they have a tendency to make the shank’s really wide. The prong problems with SG has reallly been about finding the exact right spot to set the prongs because the elongated cushion’s have a very chunky facet pattern and sometimes that can throw the prongs off. SG is really good with matching US standard sizes except that you have to tell what you want the measurements to be ‘after’ polishing. They usually have to bump up the CAD by 1 to 2 mm to achieve this as we learned the hard way. The price from the etsy vendor still sounds pretty good if that includes the stone. Gold prices are set in dollars around the world so it costs the same no matter where you order it. The difference in price comes from the moissanite and labor. My only caution with the etsy vendor is to find out where the stone is coming from. Sometimes they are non-branded and bought from India using the old 6H sic rough and not the new 4H sic rough that China is using. I would just check to find out but if they are in thee US, that is still a pretty good price. It is Chinese New Year and I know most of the vendors will be off until the middle of February so you have some time to figure this out.

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! The price from the Etsy vendor is for the setting only. :/ So there is the benefit of knowing it will be to US specs but the total cost would still be considerably more when you add in the stone and labor to have it set locally. Thinking having it all done by one vendor could definitely bring some cost savings.
I think this is a pretty safe project for them. Tianyu can make a similar ring but on solitaiire’s, they have a tendency to make the shank’s really wide. The prong problems with SG has reallly been about finding the exact right spot to set the prongs because the elongated cushion’s have a very chunky facet pattern and sometimes that can throw the prongs off. SG is really good with matching US standard sizes except that you have to tell what you want the measurements to be ‘after’ polishing. They usually have to bump up the CAD by 1 to 2 mm to achieve this as we learned the hard way. The price from the etsy vendor still sounds pretty good if that includes the stone. Gold prices are set in dollars around the world so it costs the same no matter where you order it. The difference in price comes from the moissanite and labor. My only caution with the etsy vendor is to find out where the stone is coming from. Sometimes they are non-branded and bought from India using the old 6H sic rough and not the new 4H sic rough that China is using. I would just check to find out but if they are in thee US, that is still a pretty good price. It is Chinese New Year and I know most of the vendors will be off until the middle of February so you have some time to figure this out.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! The price from the Etsy vendor is for the setting only. :/ So there is the benefit of knowing it will be to US specs but the total cost would still be considerably more when you add in the stone and labor to have it set locally. Thinking having it all done by one vendor could definitely bring some cost savings.
I think your quoted cost from the etsy vendor will be just slightly less than the total price from SG including the stone and labor. I am guessing around $400 or so from them. If you don’t love it, they seem to sell pretty easy on Diamond Bistro and Loupe Troupe so it is not a total risk.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
It shipped today ! Can’t wait.

If anyone has been dealing with Mona you might be interested to know she has left to open her own business. Apparently her family are in the gem trade.

She has her own insta account and I think a lot of our rings are on there

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
09E50078-3CD3-4171-B6F8-AD04A5AAAA29.jpeg My OECs just arrived! I think they look pretty good, even next to my OEC diamonds. I tried to attach a video, but it says the file is too big.

jso72

Rough_Rock
Can I ask what color stone they are? Their beautiful & I'm having a hard time deciding GH or JL. Thanks!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can I ask what color stone they are? Their beautiful & I'm having a hard time deciding GH or JL. Thanks!

Thanks! They’re G-H. They look pretty white to me, the yellow in the photo is from the lighting.

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
These look lovely! Did you order them through eBay or have them custom cut?
09E50078-3CD3-4171-B6F8-AD04A5AAAA29.jpeg My OECs just arrived! I think they look pretty good, even next to my OEC diamonds. I tried to attach a video, but it says the file is too big.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
These look lovely! Did you order them through eBay or have them custom cut?

I did order through Ebay. They were a custom order, but I don’t think they’re custom cut, just custom matched, if that. They were ready too quickly to have been actually cut to order.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Those that have used Starsgem typically how long did it take for it to arrive? I have the tracking number but it hasn’t moved from the initial stage yet.

I placed the order on 1/11 and it arrived yesterday, so less than two weeks. Hope you don’t have to wait much longer!

Lanasiv

Rough_Rock
IMG-20190123-WA0005.jpg

I received a picture of my ring. The bottom right prong looks short/off. What do you think? Grace said she can fix it but after the holiday . I'm wondering if it's better to leave it in case the stone shifts?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
IMG-20190123-WA0005.jpg

I received a picture of my ring. The bottom right prong looks short/off. What do you think? Grace said she can fix it but after the holiday . I'm wondering if it's better to leave it in case the stone shifts?
You could have them flip the ring around and take a picture. This way you can see if it is just the camera angle. Also one picture with the ring on its head to see how straight it sits. These macro pictures sometimes make the prong differences so much more noticeable then they may appear in real life. I see a very tiny difference based on your picture but yes, if they make adjustments, it might throw the center stone off because of the faceting. I would get a few more pics just to help your decision making but to me, this seems very minimal.

Lanasiv

Rough_Rock
You could have them flip the ring around and take a picture. This way you can see if it is just the camera angle. Also one picture with the ring on its head to see how straight it sits. These macro pictures sometimes make the prong differences so much more noticeable then they may appear in real life. I see a very tiny difference based on your picture but yes, if they make adjustments, it might throw the center stone off because of the faceting. I would get a few more pics just to help your decision making but to me, this seems very minimal.

Thank you so much. I have asked her for more pictures. The cathedral also seems a bit crooked to me but I'm not sure they can fix it without throwing the stone off.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results