shape
carat
color
clarity

Moissanite rings from Starsgem on ebay (starsgem8)

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
If anyone is interested in seeing their new oval cut. They have stopped doing the diamond cut or mixed cut and are not doing an oval H&A. I guess the mixed cut was not working out. The options are the H&A and the crushed ice. This one has lab diamonds and I think it turned out really well. This person didn’t post the ring but said it was ok to share and I wanted people to see the new option.
https://m.imgur.com/a/m2AKvWT?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

https://m.imgur.com/a/UTEcSrn?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

schexmix

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

My fiancee and I are in the process of replacing her placeholder engagement ring with a Moissanite ring. I've done quite a bit of reading on the various Chinese vendors and it seemed people had good things to say about Starsgem, so here we are... I was hoping we might be able to get some feedback/direction before we start a discussion with any of the reps - it sounds like Cherry and Demi are both 'safe' choices?

Anyway, she has finally narrowed down what she wants her ring to look like. Here are two examples she really likes:

• skinny band - her placeholder is ~2.6-2.8mm which she thinks is too big, she also would like to pair it with a band just like the first video above
  • H&A round cut - 6.5mm ~ 7mm
  • basket or prong head
  • lab diamonds on the basket and/or prongs
  • pave - halfway - 3/4 round the band
  • 4 prongs (not sure what type??? claw???)
  • white gold (14k vs 18k?) - she is a nurse and needs to wash her hands/sanitize frequently, not sure if there is a better option here or if it matters... she doesn't like the look of platinum

We would really appreciate any feedback, direction, suggestions, etc. that people might have so that we can finally replace her $15 dollar ring!! Thanks in advance!

Volvoqueen

Shiny_Rock
Hi PS,

Back in Dec. 2018 I purchased 5 4.5mm ACC GH color from Stargem, these remain unset because I keep going back and forth a setting. I am considering purchasing 3.5mm ACC for for an eternity band, but I recently purchased an ASET and reviewing the 4.5mm ACC I'm not feeling as excited.

Question - am I being overly critical? I've also attached images of my AVR engagement ring 2 ct, and AVR studs, 0.5 tcw.

Do you feel like that I may have better luck with 3.5mm OEC instead of ACC, or should I go with another vendor? IMG_1727.jpg IMG_1729.jpg IMG_1730.jpg IMG_1731.jpg IMG_1732.jpg 367DA3DA-D0A3-422F-B478-87AD2D56425B.JPG D3C48BAC-065E-4074-B00F-FEF7D5672A45.JPG

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hi PS,

Back in Dec. 2018 I purchased 5 4.5mm ACC GH color from Stargem, these remain unset because I keep going back and forth a setting. I am considering purchasing 3.5mm ACC for for an eternity band, but I recently purchased an ASET and reviewing the 4.5mm ACC I'm not feeling as excited.

Question - am I being overly critical? I've also attached images of my AVR engagement ring 2 ct, and AVR studs, 0.5 tcw.

Do you feel like that I may have better luck with 3.5mm OEC instead of ACC, or should I go with another vendor? IMG_1727.jpg IMG_1729.jpg IMG_1730.jpg IMG_1731.jpg IMG_1732.jpg 367DA3DA-D0A3-422F-B478-87AD2D56425B.JPG D3C48BAC-065E-4074-B00F-FEF7D5672A45.JPG
There will always be a little bit of ‘you get what you pay for’ with the Chinese stones. It is not precision cutting like you will get from AV. I have some 4.5 mm earrings set and they sparkle nicely but I know if they are looked at in comparison to the AV stones, they will fall short.

You may not want to invest the extra money in a setting if you are not happy with the cuts. I know that someone had a 5 stone with 4 mm modern lab diamonds done from SG in a white gold setting for $600. I would probably go for the lad diamonds over moissanites but maybe you are looking for antique cuts.

I just happened to notice that Jonathan has listed a trio of 5 OEC’s to make a 5 stone ring with listed but they are still pricey.

https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...-g-h-vs-august-vintage-european-cut-5avrmelee

Last option - I had some gemstones precision cut and the gemcutter does moissanites as well. Maybe you can check on a price and see if it is still cheaper than the AV stones. You can email him at [email protected]. He has a form that can be filled out to get a quote.

Good luck!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

My fiancee and I are in the process of replacing her placeholder engagement ring with a Moissanite ring. I've done quite a bit of reading on the various Chinese vendors and it seemed people had good things to say about Starsgem, so here we are... I was hoping we might be able to get some feedback/direction before we start a discussion with any of the reps - it sounds like Cherry and Demi are both 'safe' choices?

Anyway, she has finally narrowed down what she wants her ring to look like. Here are two examples she really likes:

• skinny band - her placeholder is ~2.6-2.8mm which she thinks is too big, she also would like to pair it with a band just like the first video above
  • H&A round cut - 6.5mm ~ 7mm
  • basket or prong head
  • lab diamonds on the basket and/or prongs
  • pave - halfway - 3/4 round the band
  • 4 prongs (not sure what type??? claw???)
  • white gold (14k vs 18k?) - she is a nurse and needs to wash her hands/sanitize frequently, not sure if there is a better option here or if it matters... she doesn't like the look of platinum

We would really appreciate any feedback, direction, suggestions, etc. that people might have so that we can finally replace her $15 dollar ring!! Thanks in advance!
I would make contact with Cherry. Demi is off on maternity leave now. Her email is [email protected].

The basket setting is probably a better choice. The peg head sits kind of high if you have to take gloves off and on during the day. I would not make a ring thinner than 2 mm if you have pave so it has some structure. Lab diamonds are the best choice.

White gold is rhodium plated and if she is washing and sanitizing her hands all the time, the plating will probably wear off faster. It can be avoided by picking rose or yellow gold or if she wants white, then platinum. Their platinum was actually quite shiny too. They may rhodium dip them too but it doesn’t have to be dipped like white gold and she won’t see the patina if everything above finger level is covered in pave anyways.

knkn

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,

I’m ordering a ring through starsgem and asked for the hearts and arrows cut with strong arrows.

They have asked if I want 8 H&A or 16 H&A cut, I think it’s the 8 H&A that everyone gets but just wanted to double check?

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Hey guys,

I’m ordering a ring through starsgem and asked for the hearts and arrows cut with strong arrows.

They have asked if I want 8 H&A or 16 H&A cut, I think it’s the 8 H&A that everyone gets but just wanted to double check?

Yep! Standard is 8

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hey guys,

Agree with Michelle. Go with the standard 8. The 16 one just looks weird. I am surprised they even asked....

Reactions: KKM

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I got a message on WhatsApp from Lucy last night saying this was her last month and all her orders will be passed to Jamie. Just wanted everyone to know in case they were considering working with her. I’m sure it’s hard switching reps mid-project!

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I got a message on WhatsApp from Lucy last night saying this was her last month and all her orders will be passed to Jamie. Just wanted everyone to know in case they were considering working with her. I’m sure it’s hard switching reps mid-project!
I’m going to be curious to see what happens to their pricing in a few months with all the staff changes... I worked with Demi for my pieces and she seemed exceptionally reasonable, especially compared to some of the new quotes I’m seeing.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I’m going to be curious to see what happens to their pricing in a few months with all the staff changes... I worked with Demi for my pieces and she seemed exceptionally reasonable, especially compared to some of the new quotes I’m seeing.

I feel like Lucy was in the same ballpark. I was quoted less than $400 for my 3 stone ring in 14k white gold and that included shipping. I decided to not proceed and just got the loose stones instead. I think you’re right though, the prices are going to go up. Not as much as Tianyu IMO, but still an uptick.

Side note: I got 2 pics and a video of my stone and I’m not sure what to think. Anyone want to chime in? I’d like to hear what others have to say before I throw my hat in the ring.

https://imgur.com/a/i8BlBin

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
@michellelynn9175 I think their pictures are still bad :lol-2: Is that a hearts and arrows round?

Last edited:

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
@michellelynn9175 I think their picture are still bad :lol-2: Is that a hearts and arrows round?

They’re terrible!!! I mean, invest in a better camera people! And yes, it’s a H&A. I told her thick arrows and we sent pics back and forth, so she knew exactly what I wanted.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They’re terrible!!! I mean, invest in a better camera people! And yes, it’s a H&A. I told her thick arrows and we sent pics back and forth, so she knew exactly what I wanted.
Their pics and videos are always awful, but I feel like the stone looks like a transitional cut rather than h&a.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Their pics and videos are always awful, but I feel like the stone looks like a transitional cut rather than h&a.

Ugh, me too! I don’t know if I should ask for a recut. I sent pics that made it clear what I wanted. She even sent me one back saying it was one she had made, and it looked the same as the ones I’d sent. So I’m really confused.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I
Ugh, me too! I don’t know if I should ask for a recut. I sent pics that made it clear what I wanted. She even sent me one back saying it was one she had made, and it looked the same as the ones I’d sent. So I’m really confused.
I think it is how they take the pics. If they would just tip the stone down or lift the camera higher. I see the arrows in the 2nd pic but if you asked for thick arrows, I hope they aren’t doing that transitional cut again. The newer people seem to be confused. I have a comparison pic at home I will send you so you can say ‘this’ and not ‘that’.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
D1B43E6C-5A6C-40CC-8F5D-FF9C0D2456EE.jpeg 61E71251-9B5D-4141-81EF-2C5820387DBF.jpeg 6BEF28F5-4DBF-4BBC-8C00-DC8C9D1B713B.png D7A14DDB-26F9-4212-A3A0-50A1D70265EF.png
These are the pics I sent her and you can see in the screen shots she sent me a video of the same cut and said “we can do it.” I don’t see how there could’ve been any confusion.

Do you think I should have it recut or see how it looks in person?

I

I think it is how they take the pics. If they would just tip the stone down or lift the camera higher. I see the arrows in the 2nd pic but if you asked for thick arrows, I hope they aren’t doing that transitional cut again. The newer people seem to be confused. I have a comparison pic at home I will send you so you can say ‘this’ and not ‘that’.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
D1B43E6C-5A6C-40CC-8F5D-FF9C0D2456EE.jpeg 61E71251-9B5D-4141-81EF-2C5820387DBF.jpeg 6BEF28F5-4DBF-4BBC-8C00-DC8C9D1B713B.png D7A14DDB-26F9-4212-A3A0-50A1D70265EF.png
These are the pics I sent her and you can see in the screen shots she sent me a video of the same cut and said “we can do it.” I don’t see how there could’ve been any confusion.

Do you think I should have it recut or see how it looks in person?
I would hesitate to ask for a recut in case it is correct. I would ask them for some still pictures. Tell her you want to make sure it is the 8 H&A cut. You can’t tell from the picture if it is correct because of how they photograph the stone. You want to make sure it is like the first pic and not the 2nd pic. Can she confirm this? If she says yes, then I would let them mail it. If it is not right, you have some recourse with PP.
8BF325E8-75B6-4CE0-B2B9-4FFD9364E8F6.gif

Sometimes I think that asking for the thick arrows is making them cut it like the transitional cut instead of a standard H&A. When we said thick arrows, what we actually meant was longer/stronger arrows but I think the new people are taking it literally and making them thicker/wider instead.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would hesitate to ask for a recut in case it is correct. I would ask them for some still pictures. Tell her you want to make sure it is the 8 H&A cut. You can’t tell from the picture if it is correct because of how they photograph the stone. You want to make sure it is like the first pic and not the 2nd pic. Can she confirm this? If she says yes, then I would let them mail it. If it is not right, you have some recourse with PP.
8BF325E8-75B6-4CE0-B2B9-4FFD9364E8F6.gif

Sometimes I think that asking for the thick arrows is making them cut it like the transitional cut instead of a standard H&A. When we said thick arrows, what we actually meant was longer/stronger arrows but I think the new people are taking it literally and making them thicker/wider instead.
This would be my advice as well.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I asked Lucy for more pics and videos and her response was “Jamie will follow you” whatever that means. So I asked her if Jamie had access to our chat thread or I needed to contact her directly and she said she would ask when she got to the office.

So yeah, definitely don’t try to start any new projects with her. Very frustrating. Figures I’d pick the rep that’s on her way out. :lol-2:

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
2C5CF270-C98F-416F-B2A8-E6CC3C88D392.jpeg 31601E71-BF3C-4FBD-BAC0-C41DBE392082.jpeg
I swear I have the worst luck. This is my second time ordering from SG and both times the stones have looked like garbage. What is this??! I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me but to me, it looks awful! Am I crazy? If I am, someone talk me down please. :lol:

Video:

https://imgur.com/a/L1RiWzB

Meowingtons

Rough_Rock
@michellelynn9175 , you are right - this looks terrible! It's like night and day from the pictures you sent. I don't know what is going on but would absolutely ask them for a recut or a refund and move on to Tianyu instead

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
@michellelynn9175 , you are right - this looks terrible! It's like night and day from the pictures you sent. I don't know what is going on but would absolutely ask them for a recut or a refund and move on to Tianyu instead

I already asked her for a recut. I’m waiting on a response. If she says no, I’m requesting a refund. I’m not even going to attempt explaining the difference because if she can’t see it, there’s no point.

I thought maybe she just didn’t care because she’s got one foot out the door, but the factory is cutting these, not her. I have the worst luck. Lol

jrzgrl1119

Shiny_Rock
2C5CF270-C98F-416F-B2A8-E6CC3C88D392.jpeg 31601E71-BF3C-4FBD-BAC0-C41DBE392082.jpeg
I swear I have the worst luck. This is my second time ordering from SG and both times the stones have looked like garbage. What is this??! I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me but to me, it looks awful! Am I crazy? If I am, someone talk me down please. :lol:

Video:

https://imgur.com/a/L1RiWzB[/QUOTE

The second picture, where the stone is purple. How do you do that? I still have a lot to learn!
Laura

halo_martini

Rough_Rock
Hi PS,

I've been asking Sue and Silvia for lab diamond quotes and received very different prices.

Silvia: 14k 5pcs 4.5mm lab diamond (HPHT diamond), US$1620.
Sue: $1200 for same specs as above
14K 6pcs 4mm round lab diamond ring is $1080
14K 7pcs 4mm round lab diamond ring is $1220
14K 8pcs 3mm round lab diamond ring is $540

swaye2010: I just saw you mention someone had 5 stone with 4mm lab diamonds done for $600, so I feel like quotes I received are too high.

Sorry if I'm asking a redundant question, are there different grades of lab diamonds that's reflected in quote difference?
Do you think it's worth getting lab diamonds from SG, or should I pay a little extra to have a better cut done from US vendor?
I plan to get H&A rounds from them, I've been reading SG had nailed this. Do you think its still worth it?

There will always be a little bit of ‘you get what you pay for’ with the Chinese stones. It is not precision cutting like you will get from AV. I have some 4.5 mm earrings set and they sparkle nicely but I know if they are looked at in comparison to the AV stones, they will fall short.

You may not want to invest the extra money in a setting if you are not happy with the cuts. I know that someone had a 5 stone with 4 mm modern lab diamonds done from SG in a white gold setting for $600. I would probably go for the lad diamonds over moissanites but maybe you are looking for antique cuts.

I just happened to notice that Jonathan has listed a trio of 5 OEC’s to make a 5 stone ring with listed but they are still pricey.

https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...-g-h-vs-august-vintage-european-cut-5avrmelee

Last option - I had some gemstones precision cut and the gemcutter does moissanites as well. Maybe you can check on a price and see if it is still cheaper than the AV stones. You can email him at [email protected]. He has a form that can be filled out to get a quote.

Good luck!

halo_martini

Rough_Rock
I forgot to mention this is for DEF VS VVS clarity.
I'm going to check and see if GH will be cheaper.

Hi PS,

I've been asking Sue and Silvia for lab diamond quotes and received very different prices.

swaye2010: I just saw you mention someone had 5 stone with 4mm lab diamonds done for $600, so I feel like quotes I received are too high.

Sorry if I'm asking a redundant question, are there different grades of lab diamonds that's reflected in quote difference?
Do you think it's worth getting lab diamonds from SG, or should I pay a little extra to have a better cut done from US vendor?
I plan to get H&A rounds from them, I've been reading SG had nailed this. Do you think its still worth it?

Ra2nl

Shiny_Rock
Hi PS,

I asked Lucy to give me 2 quotes for a full eternity ring in lab diamonds.
She gave me the total price for both of them. 14k/3mm DEF VS/VVS 18pcs and 14k/2.5mm DEF VS/VVS 22pcs. $1180,- incl.shipping and Paypal fees.
It was so hard to communicate with her. I don't know it's because my english is so bad or she was too busy to pay good attention on my requests. I decided to let it go

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Video:

https://imgur.com/a/L1RiWzB
I would be super annoyed if I were you!!! That's totally unacceptable!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results