shape
carat
color
clarity

Merelani Mint Garnet Q''s???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Not really. Chrono is the person to ask regarding cobalt spinel
9.gif
I may get a lavender spinel cushion from the site you are looking at.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 4:47:28 PM
Author: beach
9.gif
Oooo I was looking at that one also and thought it was lovely!!! It really looks like a nice bright stone :)

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 4:50:03 PM
Author: stepcutnut

9.gif
Oooo I was looking at that one also and thought it was lovely!!! It really looks like a nice bright stone :)
Thanks. I love the color too! Just not sure about the outer edge symmetry. I feel like the top right is a little off.

beach

Brilliant_Rock
On another note, you really don't even know if pics that this site post are the actual pics of the stone. Have you noticed how they use the same pics for similar stones? Look at the lavender I mentioned and on the next page look at the one sold... SAME PIC!!! They mention this in the About US section and I think it is shady. How hard is it to take a new pic? I want to see the facet structure etc.... You don't even know if the pic of the spinel you are looking at is correct!!!! Did they ever send you new pics?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 4:52:59 PM
Date: 5/27/2009 4:50:03 PM

9.gif

Thanks. I love the color too! Just not sure about the outer edge symmetry. I feel like the top right is a little off.
I would email him and ask about the symmetry and to see other pics on his hand, it looks like the stone could just be turned slightly to the right, because both the upper and lower right corners look a little off.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 4:55:32 PM
On another note, you really don''t even know if pics that this site post are the actual pics of the stone. Have you noticed how they use the same pics for similar stones? Look at the lavender I mentioned and on the next page look at the one sold... SAME PIC!!! They mention this in the About US section and I think it is shady. How hard is it to take a new pic? I want to see the facet structure etc.... You don''t even know if the pic of the spinel you are looking at is correct!!!! Did they ever send you new pics?
The other pics are suppose to be here tonight, but I agree-always need to see the pics of the stone you are buying!!!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 5:00:23 PM

Date: 5/27/2009 4:55:32 PM
On another note, you really don''t even know if pics that this site post are the actual pics of the stone. Have you noticed how they use the same pics for similar stones? Look at the lavender I mentioned and on the next page look at the one sold... SAME PIC!!! They mention this in the About US section and I think it is shady. How hard is it to take a new pic? I want to see the facet structure etc.... You don''t even know if the pic of the spinel you are looking at is correct!!!! Did they ever send you new pics?
The other pics are suppose to be here tonight, but I agree-always need to see the pics of the stone you are buying!!!
Yay.. I am excited to see the additional photos. The first looks interesting!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I will come out and admit it. TL was referring to me. I was considering that stone for a week.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Checking in to see pictures of the corpse but I guess she''s not here yet or the pictures aren''t sent yet.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 9:28:11 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
I will come out and admit it. TL was referring to me. I was considering that stone for a week.
The corpse?! Too funny..

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2009 9:34:12 PM
Author: Chrono
Checking in to see pictures of the corpse but I guess she''s not here yet or the pictures aren''t sent yet.
I can''t find the pictures. I must have deleted them because there was no reason to keep them around. If they were nice, I might have filed them away in my gemstone file folder. Maybe Charmy still has those pics.

beach

Brilliant_Rock
looks like he posted pics for you Stepcut. There is a new pic on the site. It is not quite a cobalt but it looks very nice!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since I have no idea where it is, can SCN or someone please post it here? Pretty please?
9.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I am back, I only have internet access for a small portion of the day now!

I did check the website and it doesn't show any new photos of the spinel now, who knows-maybe I missed them!!! I would love to see the handshots
7.gif
I am also waiting to get answers to a whole bunch of questions.

As far as the Merelani Mint, I received new photos today...

Merelani Mint Garnet3.JPG

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Corpse?

Merelani Mint Garnet4.JPG

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I just checked back and this is all I got to see on the website----tiny tiny photo...

Can anyone make it larger??? Looks kind of gray.

blue oval spinel2.jpg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
From the tiny photo, I am thinking that the spinel in not the blue for me---too much gray!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are not the same photos that Charmy got that she showed to me. They were not taken in sunlight, as these appear to be. In any case, it''s kind of light in saturation, which is why the price point is probably lower. The pictures that Charmy showed me were of a very yellowish grey stone.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 9:18:04 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Those are not the same photos that Charmy got that she showed to me. They were not taken in sunlight, as these appear to be. In any case, it''s kind of light in saturation, which is why the price point is probably lower. The pictures that Charmy showed me were of a very yellowish grey stone.
It would be interesting to see the photos Charmy received.

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Hi SCN,

So I purchased a mint green garnet from the vendor you mention. The color of the pics that he sent me were similar to what you are getting and I was quite pleased with the stone. The stone that you are looking at seems to quite a nice cut, if not being fully saturated... but I suppose that is why it is a mint and not a full on tsavorite. Here are some pics of mints that I own (from 3 different vendors). The one I got from the same vendor is the modified oval.

This first pic is from the vendor...

minty01.jpg

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
another vendor pic

minty02.jpg

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
and a picture I took under diffuse fluorescent lighting... as you can see the stone is a hint darker in tone and I believe that is due to the vendor using fairly bright light for his photography. These type of stones in my experience (I have 3 from different vendors) is that natural northern light brings out the most of the slightly bluish green whilst older yellowish incandescents can cast a bit of a yellowish hue on the green. I think it is a beautiful stone and if I hadn''t had a recent run on some spessartites, I would consider that stone for myself
18.gif

myminty01.jpg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 9:48:27 AM
Author: sleepyspinel
Hi SCN,

So I purchased a mint green garnet from the vendor you mention. The color of the pics that he sent me were similar to what you are getting and I was quite pleased with the stone. The stone that you are looking at seems to quite a nice cut, if not being fully saturated... but I suppose that is why it is a mint and not a full on tsavorite. Here are some pics of mints that I own (from 3 different vendors). The one I got from the same vendor is the modified oval.

Hi sleepy-thanks so much for the photos of your lovely oval!!! What a beautiful stone :) I love the cut.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 9:56:28 AM
and a picture I took under diffuse fluorescent lighting... as you can see the stone is a hint darker in tone and I believe that is due to the vendor using fairly bright light for his photography. These type of stones in my experience (I have 3 from different vendors) is that natural northern light brings out the most of the slightly bluish green whilst older yellowish incandescents can cast a bit of a yellowish hue on the green. I think it is a beautiful stone and if I hadn''t had a recent run on some spessartites, I would consider that stone for myself
18.gif
Can you tell me the stats on your oval??? :) Did you feel the price was fair?

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
You are very welcome, hope it helps you make a more informed decision. I suppose one more caveat is that the light return on both stones is rather high (always a good thing in my book) and just like in colorless/warm diamonds, the brighter the stone the less noticeable the body color. I like to think of it as its sparkley enough to see from across the room and when you get close enough to give it a close enough look to see the facet pattern, the inherint head obscuration that results will darken the stone up enough to enjoy its "sprig of mint" green color!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi SCN,

The color is just not a vivid mint green to me, even though it is light in saturation. There is a difference. Another point to note as an FYI - not all light tsavorites are mint in color. Many are yellowish green. Sleepyspinel's is more vivid to me as well.

Here's the thread I was talking about earlier, and it isn't ArtNouveau, but Maxspinel. This stone in the picture below is a vivid mint color, just to give you an idea for the sake of comparison, and this one is around $3000 and around 3 carats. The above stone, while much less vivid in color, seems to be a good buy. The link goes into more detail. Maxspinel found it really hard to photograph, as Mochi did with hers from Gene, and I with mine.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mint-grossular-garnet.32967/

maxspinel_mint.jpg

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
My stone was US cut, 1.35cts 7.7x5.9 mm super eyeclean (small veil under a corner visible with a loupe on the pavillion view only). It ran me 400$ in 2005 and it was the most pricey per ct of my 3 stones (admittedly the precision US faceting added to the price). My two other stones are also very bright stones but not "designer" if you know what I mean. I cannot recall how much is the vendor asking for the 2ct? I''d say such a stone can run from 600-1000... didn''t precisiongem have a 2ct octagonal in the 800 range? Sorry for the fuzzy memory... still waking up
17.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 10:11:00 AM
My stone was US cut, 1.35cts 7.7x5.9 mm super eyeclean (small veil under a corner visible with a loupe on the pavillion view only). It ran me 400$ in 2005 and it was the most pricey per ct of my 3 stones (admittedly the precision US faceting added to the price). My two other stones are also very bright stones but not 'designer' if you know what I mean. I cannot recall how much is the vendor asking for the 2ct? I'd say such a stone can run from 600-1000... didn't precisiongem have a 2ct octagonal in the 800 range? Sorry for the fuzzy memory... still waking up
17.gif
Thanks for the info :) Yours is a really lovely stone!!! Definitely the color I was looking for.

Do you have pics of your other 2 Mints?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2009 10:05:06 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Hi SCN,

The color is just not a vivid mint green to me, even though it is light in saturation. There is a difference. Another point to note as an FYI - not all light tsavorites are mint in color. Many are yellowish green. Sleepyspinel''s is more vivid to me as well.

Here''s the thread I was talking about earlier, and it isn''t ArtNouveau, but Maxspinel. This stone in the picture below is a vivid mint color, just to give you an idea for the sake of comparison, and this one is around $3000 and around 3 carats. The above stone, while much less vivid in color, seems to be a good buy. The link goes into more detail. Maxspinel found it really hard to photograph, as Mochi did with hers from Gene, and I with mine.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mint-grossular-garnet.32967/
Thanks for the linky! What a nice color :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results