shape
carat
color
clarity

Merelani Mint Garnet Q''s???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Question-does anyone know as a consumer, can you send a stone off to AGTA or AGL (or the likes) to get it certified? If so how? How long does it take? How much does it cost??? Thanks

Date: 5/27/2009 11:33:38 AM
Author: stepcutnut
Thanks Chrono, I appreciate your info :)

I began the search today and found one that I love, but need better photos of it from the cutter-he said it was really tough to capture!
By the way, the person selling the stone is not the actual cutter of the stone. I have spoken to the cutter and he is a good guy too.

I can''t wait to see your mint when you get it.

Sleepy, your collection is divine.

I happen to have an AGTA cert on one of my mints but it was already done before I happened upon the stone. I am pretty confident that mints at the moment do not really undergo any (radical) treatments. All stones that have surface reaching feather/fractures can always be oiled but that is so far unusual for garnets. It is happening somewhat more in the high end spinels.

Considering that this is likely the same cutter as my designer oval cut, I don''t think that you have to worry about treatment, as that cutter seems to usually only stock untreated stones (not counting traditionally "accepted heat-only" for sapphire and tanzanites).

I am excited to see it too! I really dig that cut, its really pretty and such a great shape for a killer ring :)

Maryc, thanks for your compliments :)

Date: 5/31/2009 1:44:46 PM
Author: marcyc
I can''t wait to see your mint when you get it.

Sleepy, your collection is divine.

Thanks for the AGTA info.

The cert would not be for the mint and I do know who the cutter is :)

Date: 5/31/2009 3:26:05 PM
Thanks for the AGTA info.

The cert would not be for the mint and I do know who the cutter is :)
A cheaper option and slightly quicker is to go for the AGL brief. It takes about a week or 2 and costs only $25 or thereabouts. If it is still inconclusive, then AGL will recommend the whole 9 yards, which might run around $200 or so. Hope that helps. I plan on using AGL for my new spinel. My other cobalt spinel is already AGL certified as cobalt bearing and being a natural and untreated stone.

Date: 5/31/2009 1:36:44 PM
Author: CharmyPoo

I began the search today and found one that I love, but need better photos of it from the cutter-he said it was really tough to capture!

By the way, the person selling the stone is not the actual cutter of the stone. I have spoken to the cutter and he is a good guy too.

Charmy- who is the seller? I am always looking for new places to oogle stones
9.gif

Sleepy,
What would you consider the ideal gemset for a nice Merelani mint garnet?

Well I can only give you my humble personal opinion but here goes:

Hue - green to bluish green
Tone - light to medium
Saturation - very slightly grayish to strong

"Ideal" I do not know but my specific "minds eye" goal is:

slightly- bluish green with light tone and moderately strong saturation.
slbG 3/4

Date: 5/31/2009 10:30:23 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Sleepy,
What would you consider the ideal gemset for a nice Merelani mint garnet?

SlbG 3/4 sounds like the perfect mint.
30.gif

Date: 5/31/2009 6:49:32 PM
Author: icekid
Date: 5/31/2009 1:36:44 PM

Author: CharmyPoo

Charmy- who is the seller? I am always looking for new places to oogle stones
9.gif
I''m not Charmy, but the seller has a few pieces every now and again listed in the classifieds of another forum(which I can''t mention here!). The cutter is Charles B Johnson and I can''t wait to see his work in person
9.gif

what qualifies a green garnet to be a Merelani Mint is that it comes from Merelani Tanzania. Merelani is a location. All these stones are green grossular garnets, as is Tsavorite. Just because it comes from Merelani, doesn''t mean it''s the color you are looking for either. These green garnets are found in Kenya and other locations in Tanzania. As they get darker, then they are sold as Tsavorite. Technically, Tsavorite denotes a location too, which would be the Tsavo area of Kenya. Most people will call any of the darker green grossular garnets Tsavorite. Many of the stones are coming from Tanzani in an area very close to the Kenyan border.

It''s Heeeere...

Date: 6/1/2009 11:30:08 AM
Author: PrecisionGem
what qualifies a green garnet to be a Merelani Mint is that it comes from Merelani Tanzania. Merelani is a location. All these stones are green grossular garnets, as is Tsavorite. Just because it comes from Merelani, doesn''t mean it''s the color you are looking for either. These green garnets are found in Kenya and other locations in Tanzania. As they get darker, then they are sold as Tsavorite. Technically, Tsavorite denotes a location too, which would be the Tsavo area of Kenya. Most people will call any of the darker green grossular garnets Tsavorite. Many of the stones are coming from Tanzani in an area very close to the Kenyan border.
I don''t know about that Gene because there''s a heated conversation going on about that right now somewhere else. Is it called Merelani because it''s from Merelani Tanzania, or is it called Merelani because it''s a unique cololred mint green grossular garnet that you can''t find anywhere else?

Date: 6/2/2009 2:18:16 PM
It''s Heeeere...

Welll???? Do you love it, hate it, somewhere in between? Pictures?

Sorry, nothing but computer and camera troubles!

Here is a start...terrible pic, but all I could get right now!!! Tough to photograph, it doesn't show any yellow IRL-but that is what the camera is picking up.

Merelani Mint Maltease2.jpg

I love love love it :)

It is such a gorgeous minty color-no yellow secondary, super sparkly, fantastic cut and the inclusions aren''t noticable!

My camera shows yellow as well in my mint, when the background is more of a true green. That's weird with these stones. I'm glad you love it!! It's difficult to see the true color in the ring though. Do you have some pics outside the ring, even though the ring is very beautfiul!!
31.gif

Date: 6/2/2009 3:39:25 PM
My camera shows yellow as well in my mint, when the background is more of a true green. That''s weird with these stones. I''m glad you love it!! It''s difficult to see the true color in the ring though. Do you have some pics outside the ring, even though the ring is very beautfiul!!
31.gif
Still working on photos-my camera and the computer aren''t speaking nicely to each other this afternoon-arggg!

In this photo of the stone alone, all you can see is the reflection of my hand, the camera and the sky-barely any body color---who know, really frustrating!

Merelani Mint Maltease3.jpg

I would say this is the closest so far-almost right on for color, I'll keep working :)

Merelani Mint Maltease4.jpg

That''s a really nice stone, and I think it looks perfect in that setting.

A couple more of the stone alone-still too yellow, but the previous photo of the stone in the setting is definitely more true to real life :)

Merelani Mint Maltease7.JPG

Date: 6/2/2009 4:14:37 PM
That''s a really nice stone, and I think it looks perfect in that setting.
Thanks, I really love it and glad I took a chance on it :) I think that I like it much more in the baguette halo setting, than my step cut octagon spess from Dan-it just didn''t fit quit right!

SS-any photo tips??? Your mints turned out so nice in your pics!

Date: 6/1/2009 8:24:32 AM

I''m not Charmy, but the seller has a few pieces every now and again listed in the classifieds of another forum(which I can''t mention here!). The cutter is Charles B Johnson and I can''t wait to see his work in person
9.gif
stepcut- Thanks! I''ll see what I can dig up
36.gif

The mint garnet looks fabulous, I think. Really! I am such a green fan though that it would be tough for me not to like it
3.gif

Date: 6/2/2009 3:12:15 PM

Date: 6/1/2009 11:30:08 AM
Author: PrecisionGem
I don''t know about that Gene because there''s a heated conversation going on about that right now somewhere else. Is it called Merelani because it''s from Merelani Tanzania, or is it called Merelani because it''s a unique cololred mint green grossular garnet that you can''t find anywhere else?
I thought it''s a Meralani because it''s a unique mint green grossular that is only found in the Meralani area? I know there are some who try to pass off other yellow green or light green grossular garnets as Meralani even though that is technically incorrect.

SCN,
I know how some colours just don't want to be captured in photographs. I'll take your word for it that it has no yellow. It looks well cut though I really wish I could see it in person.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP