shape
carat
color
clarity

Merelani Mint Garnet Q''s???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
TL- love the fluor photo. Too cool!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks IK. I still don''t know what causes this, and I would love to find out. Garnets typically do not fluoresce at all.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Lets just call these stones green grossulrites. I don''t know what it is that makes them glow orange in LWUV but I can post a pic of what they look like.

The round is quite strong compared to the rest. Next is the emerald shape and then the oval. In the picture the pear shape looks as though it has a very slight orange that I can not see in IRL.

I have adjusted the pictures to better see the effect as it looks to me in person.

IMG_1014_1.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CMW,
What does the round look like without the UV? My stone has similar strong fluorescence and orange. Fascinating!

Thanks for the pic!

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
I knew I should have set up my lights and taken a photo of the same grouping in more normal lighting to compare to. But alas I did not. Here is an older pic. Not a very good one though. IRL it is slightly more yellowish green.

IMG_4347_1.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like it is pretty common for grossular garnets to fluorescence orange.

CMW,
Isn't that your newish tsavorite? So it fluorescences quite strongly?

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know how common it is Chrono. I have noticed that darker toned stones don't not show the effect. This could be because the darkness of the stone hides it.

Yes it is my latest. I aquired it a little over a year ago.

I would call it moderate

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could it be that the lighter stones have less chromium; therefore fluoresce orange instead of a deeper color like red. I hope that doesn't sound incredibly stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results