shape
carat
color
clarity

Merelani Mint Garnet Q''s???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I would like to begin the hunt for a lovely mint garnet...

Just a quick question about Merelani Mint Garnet pricing, Is there a ball park per carat price that I could expect to look for a stone over 2ct???

Also, what color(other than my personal preference) should I be looking for??? I know what color I like, but would also like to find one that IS nice :)

Thanks in advance!!! I really appreciate everyone's gem knowledge :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My opinion is that a mint garnet should be a light green with some hints of blue. However, I have seen some light green and light yellowish green garnets sold as mint garnets. I know it doesn''t help any but pricing depends on the colour. I''m thinking anywhere from $300 to $400 per carat would be a reasonable price for a well coloured mint.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Chrono, I appreciate your info :)

I began the search today and found one that I love, but need better photos of it from the cutter-he said it was really tough to capture!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2009 11:36:55 AM
Author: stepcutnut
:)
This one is a beautiful gem, and the shape and cut, looks beautiful to me anyways.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 11:41:43 AM
Author: D&T
Date: 5/27/2009 11:36:55 AM

:)
This one is a beautiful gem, and the shape and cut, looks beautiful to me anyways.
D&T-it really speaks to me and I think it might be one to see in person :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks very pretty and sparkly. More blue than green but certainly worthy of a look-see.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 11:47:41 AM
Author: Chrono
That looks very pretty and sparkly. More blue than green but certainly worthy of a look-see.
I have requested more photos of the stone and a better IRL color description. He said it is an incredibly sparkly, bright stone and tough to photo graph. I am not normally a pastel girl, but for some reason I have been wanting a mint green stone for some time.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Merelani mint garnet should be a light mint blue green, but like Chrono said, I''ve seen them as yellowish green, and to me, that''s not really Merelani mint. They should also be a saturated color, nothing too light, otherwise you will have something looking like a corpse - LOL!!

I saw other pictures of the above stone, and it was a dull greyish green in those pics. Ask for additional pictures, and I think you''ll be surprised. The light shining on that stone is so bright, you can''t really see much color in that photo.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 11:57:01 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Merelani mint garnet should be a light mint blue green, but like Chrono said, I''ve seen them as yellowish green, and to me, that''s not really Merelani mint. They should also be a saturated color, nothing too light, otherwise you will have something looking like a corpse - LOL!!

I saw other pictures of the above stone, and it was a dull greyish green in those pics. Ask for additional pictures, and I think you''ll be surprised. The light shining on that stone is so bright, you can''t really see much color in that photo.
LOL-a corpse!!! Ewwww, I don''t want a stone looking anything like that!!! I will patiently wait for further pics of it, but will take your word on it TL! :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2009 12:00:03 PM

LOL-a corpse!!! Ewwww, I don't want a stone looking anything like that!!! I will patiently wait for further pics of it, but will take your word on it TL! :)
NP, and I hope I can save you from buying that stone.
32.gif

ETA: Once these stones go over a carat, the price jumps a lot, and then over two carats, it jumps further. A top grade one in fine color over two carats can be a least $1000/ct.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, I''m really curious to see the additional pictures now. I wanna see the corpse.
3.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 12:04:26 PM
OK, I''m really curious to see the additional pictures now. I wanna see the corpse.
3.gif

Me too!!!

TL-did you save the other photos of it???

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ll have to check. I wasn''t interested in the stone. Someone else was, and was asking for my opinion. The color in the pic above seemed suspect, and when she showed me other pics, well ewwwhhh!!

Do a search on merelani mint garnet on PS, there''s one thread here with someone, I forget who, looking at a $3000 trillion. It''s beautiful and her pictures were horrid, but she did get one decent pic. I can''t search for the link right now, but I think it was Art Nouveau who was interested in it.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 12:13:27 PM
I'll have to check. I wasn't interested in the stone. Someone else was, and was asking for my opinion. The color in the pic above seemed suspect, and when she showed me other pics, well ewwwhhh!!

Do a search on merelani mint garnet on PS, there's one thread here with someone, I forget who, looking at a $3000 trillion. It's beautiful and her pictures were horrid, but she did get one decent pic. I can't search for the link right now, but I think it was Art Nouveau who was interested in it.
Thanks TL!

I also found this one and love the chunky facets, but seemed to yellow for me and my skin tone :)

Merelani Mint garnet2.jpg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I have to quit looking, I love this guy too!!! AHHHHH!

blue oval spinel.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that blue spinel for real? I''m having a difficult time believing the picture is accurate unless it is priced in the thousands of dollars.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 12:29:07 PM
Is that blue spinel for real? I''m having a difficult time believing the picture is accurate unless it is priced in the thousands of dollars.
Who knows, I requested more photos and info on the stone-time will tell! Ovals aren''t my favorite cut, but we''ll see what the color is really like.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/27/2009 12:17:38 PM

Thanks TL!

I also found this one and love the chunky facets, but seemed to yellow for me and my skin tone :)
I think that one is way too light in saturation, but I'm sure the price reflects this. If you bezel it, you might be able to eek out some color in it.

These stones are difficult to come by, and I hear the rough is shaped so weird that there is too much weight loss when cutting them, and the people who own the rough, want very high prices for it. There seems to be a lust for mint colored stones, and that doesn't mean just for garnets, but tourmalines, and any other stone that you can get in a mint color, as well.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 12:13:27 PM
I''ll have to check. I wasn''t interested in the stone. Someone else was, and was asking for my opinion. The color in the pic above seemed suspect, and when she showed me other pics, well ewwwhhh!!

Do a search on merelani mint garnet on PS, there''s one thread here with someone, I forget who, looking at a $3000 trillion. It''s beautiful and her pictures were horrid, but she did get one decent pic. I can''t search for the link right now, but I think it was Art Nouveau who was interested in it.
Thanks TL-I will do some more searching and see what I can come up with :)

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 3:39:42 PM
Date: 5/27/2009 12:17:38 PM

Thanks TL!

I think that one is way too light in saturation, but I''m sure the price reflects this. If you bezel it, you might be able to eek out some color in it.

These stones are difficult to come by, and I hear the rough is shaped so weird that there is too much weight loss when cutting them, and the people who own the rough, want very high prices for it. There seems to be a lust for mint colored stones, and that doesn''t mean just for garnets, but tourmalines, and any other stone that you can get in a mint color, as well.
I may ask for other photos of this one also, but I am actually waiting on pics of the oval blue spinel first
30.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Well I have been told that the color of the cobalt spinel is what I see in the photo posted above-looks like a ceylon sapphire blue-no more gray or violet.

What kind of price per carat for a spinel that color, over 2 carats???

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Wish I could help you but I know where the stone is so I already know the answer lol...
3.gif
Don't worry I am looking for dfferent stones

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would expect it to cost no less than $1000/ct. I strongly suspect a synthetic stone. Can the purchase be contingent upon a lab check by AGL or AGTA?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 4:30:11 PM
Author: beach
Wish I could help you but I know where the stone is so I already know the answer lol...
3.gif
Don''t worry I am looking for dfferent stones
I would really like to know if his prices are high or in the ball park-never purchased from him or seen any spinel this color and size-so I wouldn''t even know where to begin to guess!!! I just saw my own typo above-the stone is over 3ct. No worries, the stone should be on hold anyway :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it is over 3 ct, the price per carat will increase by quite a bit. I really would get the stone checked out.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 4:32:17 PM
I would expect it to cost no less than $1000/ct. I strongly suspect a synthetic stone. Can the purchase be contingent upon a lab check by AGL or AGTA?
I would only purchase it if it could be certified first :)

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 4:35:30 PM

3.gif
Don't worry I am looking for dfferent stones
I would really like to know if his prices are high or in the ball park-never purchased from him or seen any spinel this color and size-so I wouldn't even know where to begin to guess!!! I just saw my own typo above-the stone is over 3ct. No worries, the stone should be on hold anyway :)

It is a very very very low price IMO. If you like it, go get it looked at during the inspection period. They say that they do not sell synthetics so it may be worth a shot. I saw it the other day but it is not the size I am looking for
3.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2009 4:38:28 PM
Date: 5/27/2009 4:35:30 PM

3.gif
Don''t worry I am looking for dfferent stones

I would really like to know if his prices are high or in the ball park-never purchased from him or seen any spinel this color and size-so I wouldn''t even know where to begin to guess!!! I just saw my own typo above-the stone is over 3ct. No worries, the stone should be on hold anyway :)

It is a very very very low price IMO. If you like it, go get it looked at during the inspection period. They say that they do not sell synthetics so it may be worth a shot. I saw it the other day but it is not the size I am looking for
3.gif
Beach-are you looking for a cobalt spinel??? If so, have you found many dealers that have them available???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results