shape
carat
color
clarity

Melania's Diamond Ring at Inaugural Balls!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do the First Ladies have access to any "national" jewellery or do they wear their own? I presume there is a store somewhere of gifts given during their husband's terms? I remember hearing about various things given to Jacqueline Kennedy by foreign nations or well wishers, what happened to all that? Our Duchess Kate could be wearing some fantastic jewels in the Royal Collection but clearly decides not to for some reason, very disappointing!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
starryeyed|1485200688|4118624 said:
I don't mind at all JoCoJenn. Thanks for asking! Great idea.

Are you thinking about chronicling Melania's wardrobe choices, in addition to jewelry? Will you include Ivanka, or devote a separate thread to her? They are both very interesting and stylish women!

:appl: Exactly those things, with a goal of keeping it non-political. I don't mind Ivanka being included (she IS a bit of a fashionista herself!), or any of the Trump family (e.g., men, the DILs, grandkids, etc.). Hopefully others will appreciate & contribute as well!

I've had the topic queued up w/the quotes & pics thus far; was just waiting to make sure you didn't mind. ;-) :wavey:

HYG: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/non-pol-flotus-family-frocks-rocks.228198/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/non-pol-flotus-family-frocks-rocks.228198/[/URL]

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snowdrop13|1485203781|4118651 said:
Do the First Ladies have access to any "national" jewellery or do they wear their own? I presume there is a store somewhere of gifts given during their husband's terms? I remember hearing about various things given to Jacqueline Kennedy by foreign nations or well wishers, what happened to all that? Our Duchess Kate could be wearing some fantastic jewels in the Royal Collection but clearly decides not to for some reason, very disappointing!

I can't speak for the Jackie-O days (wasn't born yet), but I imagine FLsOTUS either wear their own or perhaps wear items on loan from designers, stores, etc. It may be that they cannot accept gifts over a certain value due to conflicts of interest.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because of the considerations relating to the conduct of their offices, including those of
protocol or etiquette, the President and the Vice President may accept any gift on his
own behalf or on behalf of any family member, provided that such acceptance does not
violate § 2635.202(c)(1) or (2), 18 U.S.C. § 201(b) or 201(c)(3), or the Constitution 16
of the United States.

Gifts From Foreign Governments
The President and all federal officials are restricted by the Constitution from receiving
“presents” from foreign governments, kings or princes, without the consent of the
Congress.22 The Congress has consented generally, in the Foreign Gifts and Decorations
Act, to the acceptance of gifts of “minimal value” from foreign governments offered as
souvenirs or marks of courtesy,23 and the acceptance of other gifts when a refusal of the
gift may cause “offense or embarrassment” or otherwise harm the foreign relations of the
United States.24 A tangible gift of more than minimal value accepted for reasons of
protocol or courtesy may not be kept as a personal gift, however, but is considered
accepted on behalf of and property of the United States, and must be utilized and disposed25

So some of this is barely readable but yes apparently certain types of gifts may be accepted, others, not so much

If you recall certain presidents had issues with gifts and Nancy Regan I believe accepted and kept quite a few of them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results