shape
carat
color
clarity

Mark Morrell. 3 years. I never gave her the ring!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
You really don''t think that you can tell the new she that you have a ring that you designed 3 years ago but never gave and would she at least like to see it? I think if you asked whether it would bother her instead of jumping the gun and listening to others say start from scratch when the new she hasn''t had a chance to tell you her feelings... What if she doesn''t mind as it was never given and what if she likes it as is? Even if you were to sit down and read this thread together...
What is there not to like? a Mark Morrell masterpiece with a sizeable rock? And never worn on the ex''s finger? Please talk to the new she as you must think this is the woman you want to marry, before doing anything rash.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I think the ring is amazing as is. Beautiful. I love trilliant cuts.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love how the OP *specifically* said he does NOT want to hear anyone''s opinion on the emotional side of things and just asked technical questions about the rings and 99% of the people posting have to get their two cents in.

i typically give my two cents but sheesh guys leave the guy alone! he doesn''t care what you think about giving or not giving...he just wants to know...SHOULD HE CHANGE OUT THE SIDES? hehehe.

welcome back candide and i''m really glad you found another gal worthy of your big bling.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Quick, go to show me the ring and check out Skippy''s post . He just got his beautiful ring in today with guess what, trilliant cuts!! Go check it out :)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Technically speaking, I don''t think it''s a problem to switch out the trillaints for pears. Of course best to ask Mark. My ering is in my avatar, my center stone is smaller than your''s 2.36 and my pears are .34 each. So with your stone perhaps go with pears of .40 each?? Again, best to ask Mark. HTH and good luck!!!!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 10:59:39 PM
Author: Mara
i love how the OP *specifically* said he does NOT want to hear anyone''s opinion on the emotional side of things and just asked technical questions about the rings and 99% of the people posting have to get their two cents in.
I know I know Mara.... Maybe only addressing a technical question that is couched in an emotionally charged issue is too hard for some of us...

widget

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would ask Mark too. He would know best. If you have your heart on pear sidestones I think that is what you should do even if it means having him create a new setting. I am sure we can find ways for you to use the left over sidestones in a new piece of jewelry for your GF!
27.gif
31.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
keep the original ring. It is beautiful!!!! I love it.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Having the tastes that I do, I personally would find that ring huge, too blingy, chunky, (and therefore, sorry, unattractive to me), and the wrong colour of metal for my skin tone. I DO see that it is beautifully made, the craftsmanship is incredible, and the diamonds are large and expensive looking, but I would be very unthrilled with the design, whether the sides were pears or not.

My point is, you should be going with your new 'she's tastes, whatever they may be. (Including liking the ring as-is) That makes the re-gift issue (as controversial as it is) moot, in my opinion.

ETA: I am in no way trying to suggest that Mark Morell isn't an amazing designer, just pointing out that my skin tone requires YG, and that I dislike three stone rings, prefer smaller stones and dainty settings, and am not a fan of cuts other than an RB, so if my fiance were to present me with that ring, it would be completely wrong for me.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
i love how the OP *specifically* said he does NOT want to hear anyone's opinion on the emotional side of things and just asked technical questions about the rings and 99% of the people posting have to get their two cents in.

i typically give my two cents but sheesh guys leave the guy alone! he doesn't care what you think about giving or not giving...he just wants to know...SHOULD HE CHANGE OUT THE SIDES? hehehe.

welcome back candide and i'm really glad you found another gal worthy of your big bling.
Exactly Mara, my vote was motivated by one thought - MM is an artist you don't want to loose any piece produced by. For me if relationship aspect is left out of question, it's like advising to make Botticellis Venus a brunette because may be it will look better. Well, maybe, but she is a redhead.

angel_nieves

Brilliant_Rock
I love the ring and I hope the best for you in your decision.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
Okay- That ring is just to die for and I see no reason to change it for design reasons...and if you did want to do pears, it probably could be done by MM.

But I am going to give my honest opinion----Even though you asked for us not too----

You created that ring with the other "she" in mind. You put time, energy, thought, love into it. Even if your new "she" never finds out she was given a ring designed/crafted for your ex girlfriend, it would be you I would be concerned about. Do you want to look at your wife-to-be's finger and see a reminder of a previous gal?

I would see if MM does a trade in, or someone else....It might cost you...but it is an emotional fresh start....

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I think you should leave it the way it is...it''s a beautiful creation!!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I do not believe it is possible to just "change out" the trills to pears and use the same setting. By the same token, I don''t think you can just add "surprise" diamonds or anything like that.
The ring is what it is -- irregardless of whether or not you like it -- trying to morph it into something else is just going to make things worse.
It is interesting, to me, that for those that gave their input in terms of the emotional issue, they all focussed on the fiance-to-be. If we are going to examine how the ring once intended for "ex" is going to be looked upon by "new", my thoughts go to the gentleman.. how are YOU going to feel everytime you look down at your lady''s hand???
I think this ring is only going to conjur up negative thoughts -- for the guy!!!
The other issue in terms of the ring is that you (a) don''t like the side stones, (b) don''t like how the center stone was set. Bottom line -- you don''t like this ring... period!
Put it on consignment somewhere -- it is a beauty and I believe it will sell quickly. Then, cut your losses and get a new ring for the new love... one that both of you are happy with.

Funny little side note: When I started to read your post, I remembered EXACTLY this ring, as it was an inspiration for me in making my ring!!! I do happen to like the trills with my center round. I love the contrast in faceting patterns between the trills and the round brillant -- exactly opposite of what you hate! Also, my center stone is set very low, too -- but not in a trellis setting.

I''m happy that you have found Ms. Right!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t change a thing. It''s more unique this way and I can''t see how it wouldn''t hurt the ring somehow. It''s perfect!

And I would consider this a labor of YOUR love and capacity to love, not a ring that has ever belonged to another woman.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 8:44:51 PM
Author: candide
Thank you.

My two major concerns were:

1) the triangular bias of trielles contrasted too sharply with the center round brilliant
2) the fact that I asked Mark to set the center stone low so as to not have her bump things and not be to flashy has taken away from the true look of my $$$$$$ 2.86 AGS0 HCA0.6 center and made it look like a HUBCAP!! Am I being paranoid?
yes you''re paranoid because it hardly looks like a hubcap LOL If you want to take the stone and make a NEW "labor of love" then by all means do so, but not because this ring doesn''t look good - it does!

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Colored stones e.g. sapphires can be custom cut to exactly replace the side diamonds. It won''t be expensive. It will look good. Interesting suggestion for surprise stones on the sides. Both would significantly change the look of the piece.

That said, I wouldn''t give the setting to someone other than originally intended. I wonder if Mark can potentially help you sell the setting with the sides, you keep the center.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love how the OP *specifically* said he does NOT want to hear anyone's opinion on the emotional side of things and just asked technical questions about the rings and 99% of the people posting have to get their two cents in.

ha, so true..But then It might have been better if the OP left out the emotional side of the story and and just asked the technical question...I'm one of those that found it too hard to just ignore
41.gif

i am sorry candide for giving unwanted advice..

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
sorry if I responded so negatively, but this happened to my sister -- and as little as her man thought it mattered, it ended their relationship... no joke.

best of luck to you candide... mark morrell''s work is AMAZING!

aussie : p

Carey

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous ring, just as it is. BUT if I got it and loved it and THEN found out it''s history... well I would think in my heart of the ''other'' woman when I looked at it. If you''re intent on keeping the original (amazing) stone, I LIKE the idea of pears - SEE KALEIGH''s I think her center''s around the same size and I THINK her sides are .6 each or so - you''ll see it on the SHOW ME THE RING thread on SMTR. Good luck and best wishes....

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t answer the technical questions, but I do think the ring is beautiful. However, I personally don''t like trillants because they have very harsh lines and I suppose that''s why I don''t care for princess or marquie cuts either. I find that trilliants don''t have as much "life" as round brillants either. I think pears would look lovely.

as a side note: let your girlfriend make the decision on what she wants to do with the ring. Whatever you do, DON''T try to hide the fact that it was supposed to be for another woman. Make sure she knows this upfront, or things could get very ugly down the road.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is your gal into size? I think that's an important issue. Not being a size gal myself, I personally think it's all too much. Having said that, I wouldn't want to mess up a MM setting. I like the suggestion of taking the center stone out, and replacing it with something else, Saphire comes to mind.
31.gif

I'd put the center in a new setting, and depending on whether your gal is into size or not, either pair it up with different sidestones, or leave it in all it's substantial glory.

And congrats on finding the right gal!

Mokey

Shiny_Rock
Maybe, just maybe, MM would take the trills and platinum back and put it towards the new setting and pears? Then you would get to keep that wonderful center stone, and have a new setting made and the trade in may offset the cost of the new setting at least a little. Then you have completely rid yourself of the old ring, and have made the new one for "the" girl. Just my 2 cents.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Does this ring suit your new girl''s style? Since we''re not getting into the emotional issues here that''s really the main question. If you were starting from scratch to make a ring for your new girl is this what you would come up with?

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
From everything I have read you can''t "re-use" platinum, so it would be a matter of seeing if MM could "switch" out the trielle sidestones for other side stones.
You need to find out if he could do this- my personal taste is not for trillions or trielles, but maybe your lady likes them- personally I would want a more classic cut stone like a pear or perhaps some tapered baguettes (maybe more than one tapered bag on each side?)
Even some traps or half-moons would really make it a whole new ring.

Maybe MM could adjust the setting to hold another shape side stone, maybe not, I think you should ask him.

crowmama

Shiny_Rock
I think the ring is beautiful as it is. Don''t change a thing!

shinythings

Shiny_Rock
I like it the way it is! She can always change the sidestones or setting later if she wants, and it would be better to have her input on that before changing it I think.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for pears... but I''m biased since that''s what I have.

My center stone is a just a little bigger than yours and my pears are .43 each. IMO, it''s perfect!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My suggestion is to leave it as is until you propose. She might love the ring as it is, or she might want a completely different setting. I wouldn''t change anything until you know exactly what she wants.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results