carat
color
clarity

Loose Fancy Yellow Diamond search

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
PrincessCath|1334852227|3175106 said:
lereveur|1334850830|3175087 said:
I was thinking a few diamonds on the band to make the yellow diamond stand out. But I don't want the basket to be too high like cathedral setting

Indeed a few colorless diamonds would make the yellow stand out. I would also go for a yellow gold basket. Based on the advice received here (thanks, Kenny!) I decided NOT to cup my diamond, and am very happy with my choice. But I went for a YG setting, except for the prongs of the colorless diamonds on the halo, which are WG. I guess I need to get pix of my sunny baby to post here...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pros-and-cons-of-cupping-yellow-diamonds.173138/

Would love to see it

snailmeat

Rough_Rock
No worries. It was a different one I purchased. FY 1.50 ct.

But I had been looking at the FLY too, thinking that it had a very nice colour.

lereveur|1334849262|3175062 said:
snailmeat|1334848664|3175053 said:
Lereveur, it seems we are thinking along the same lines. I just purchased the other 1.50 ct. from Leibish during my lunch break...

lereveur|1334844690|3175006 said:
I think my search for diamonds is over. I am purchasing from Leibish tonight! Please tell me what you think of these specs.
It's the same one I had my eye on. I can post the link as well

Weight: 1.50 ct.
Color: Fancy Light Yellow
Shape: Cushion
Clarity: VVS1
Measurements: 6.55x5.98x4.00
Total Depth: 66.9%
Intensity: Fancy Light
Diamond Fluorescence: None
Diamond Polish: Very Good
Diamond Symmetry: Good
Diamond Certificate: GIA

I was not aware there was another 1.50ct.... I hope they did not sell the same diamond?

Meezermom

Shiny_Rock
The diamond you picked is just gorgeous and will look stunning in the setting you are considering. I'm glad you are going with Leibisch - they have a great selection and I found them helpful, considerate and patient with me. Further, what you are seeing is what you are getting. :appl:

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
lereveur|1334854591|3175158 said:
I was thinking a few diamonds on the band to make the yellow diamond stand out. But I don't want the basket to be too high like cathedral setting

Indeed a few colorless diamonds would make the yellow stand out. I would also go for a yellow gold basket. Based on the advice received here (thanks, Kenny!) I decided NOT to cup my diamond, and am very happy with my choice. But I went for a YG setting, except for the prongs of the colorless diamonds on the halo, which are WG. I guess I need to get pix of my sunny baby to post here...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pros-and-cons-of-cupping-yellow-diamonds.173138/

Would love to see it

Here it is. Not a beauty shot by any stretch... This is taken in natural light on a gloomy day (I am back in London :( ...) And since it's so cold here , my fingers have shrunk and the ring is too large, so it keeps slipping sideways.

Yellow diamond hand shot.JPG

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you picked a beautiful FLY. Congrats!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
I like that 1.5 carat faceting too...hard to find that faceting in a cushion fancy these days, but the question is the light return and performance of the stone. Can they make you an ASET image of this diamond?

Also if she wants "buttery yellow" GOG cushions are proven performers:

Here is one that is a fancy YZ and will be buttery yellow. This will be a phenomenal performer and the envy of all your fiance's friends.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7557/

It is a square beauty antique cushion cut:

Carat Weight: 1.09ct
Color: Fancy
Clarity: VS1
AGS Light Performance: Ideal
Optical Symmetry: August Vintage
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: Faint
Culet: Large
Lab Report: GIA
Lab Report #: 1122528967
In House: Yes
Width: 6.04mm
Length: 6.04mm
Depth: 4.07mm
Table Percentage: 45.60%
Depth Percentage: 67.32%
Crown ∠: 40.77°
Crown Depth: 22.15%
Pavilion ∠: 38.89°
Pavilion Depth: 36.91%
Policy: Lifetime Guarantee
Price: $5,415
(Bank wire price: $5,232)

Here is a "Q" which will also be buttery yellow but more expensive, but personally a like that square fancy one. You might consider
these if that other 1.5 doesn't perform well or is too yellow. Just some more options, even though I know you are in a hurry. But hope this helps.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8917/

Here's another fancy light yellow on GOG faces up even larger than the one you found and squarish:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8949/

Carat Weight: 1.39ct
Clarity: SI1
Symmetry: Good
Fluorescence: Medium
Lab Report #: 2145142268
Width: 6.59mm
Length: 6.39mm
Depth: 4.44mm
Table Percentage: 48.00%
Depth Percentage: 69.50%
Price: $6,215
(Bank wire price: $6,005)

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
GOG will do a video of these 3 stones and you can pick the one you like best. You cannot tell how good a diamond will perform from the numbers or a picture on the web ESPECIALLY CUSHION CUT diamonds.

by Rhino » 13 Apr 2012 16:23

Greetings PS peeps,

Just a few comments.

The culets you see in the larger AVR's are not so large that the eye is drawn to them or detracts. In every one I have examined it's more of an afterthought like ... oh yea ... this one has a culet too. Last thing to worry about.

The HCA is NULL AND VOID when it comes to OEC's and generally any kind of round diamond that is not a "traditional" round according to today's cutting with 57 facets. Particularly when lower half length is less than 75% and the mains comprise the primary reflections under the table. You will be falsely led to believe something is horribly wrong with the diamond if you use the HCA for OEC's.

What kathley said regarding OEC's and photography couldn't be more true and has been my experience over the decades as well. If you are trying to judge optics of an OEC by photography, no way. I've said it in the past and this same truth applies not only to OEC's but also OMB's as well as just about any other shape and that is ... "Photography is fine for seeing the facet structure of a diamond but impossible for judging the actual characteristics of brightness, contrast, leakage, fire & sparkle." I've seen some very beautiful photography of butt ugly diamonds. A thorough optical examination is key. At the very least an ASET exam.

Hope that helps.

Rhino

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
PrincessCath|1334862826|3175303 said:
lereveur|1334854591|3175158 said:

Would love to see it

Here it is. Not a beauty shot by any stretch... This is taken in natural light on a gloomy day (I am back in London :( ...) And since it's so cold here , my fingers have shrunk and the ring is too large, so it keeps slipping sideways.

That is a very beautiful diamond and setting. I think the yellow gold also compliments it very well

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
ariel144|1334872735|3175495 said:
I like that 1.5 carat faceting too...hard to find that faceting in a cushion fancy these days, but the question is the light return and performance of the stone. Can they make you an ASET image of this diamond?

Here is one that is a fancy YZ and will be buttery yellow. This will be a phenomenal performer and the envy of all your fiance's friends.

Here is a "Q" which will also be buttery yellow but more expensive, but personally a like that square fancy one. You might consider
these if that other 1.5 doesn't perform well or is too yellow. Just some more options, even though I know you are in a hurry. But hope this helps.

Here's another fancy light yellow on GOG faces up even larger than the one you found and squarish:

Thank you very much for the suggestions but maybe it's me, I see no yellow in those diamonds? They are a beautiful cut though.

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, lereveur! I know my ring is right within your budget (the setting was custom made in the jewelry district in LA.) I already had the side diamonds, though. I do think YG looks wonderful with yellow diamonds...

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
lereveur said:
Thank you very much for the suggestions but maybe it's me, I see no yellow in those diamonds? They are a beautiful cut though.

The reason is that virtually all old mine brilliant stones are cut to make the stone look as white as possible.
A Y-Z which is cut for color will be a lot more yellow than one cut to reduce the color.
IN terms of performance, if the facet pattern, and precision of cut is similar, the optical performance will be as well.

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
I agree! The GOG diamonds are beautiful in cut and color, but I would not call them yellow (this from a girl who wanted -and got- a yellow diamond.)

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Yes, as you noticed Kenny, there are only 2 photos. I have grown so accustomed to seeing that on their website that it doesn't even register now. :wink2: It seems at random, which ones have true multiple images and which are replications.

I do not disagree that this is a good purchase - the intensity of color for a 'light' grading is notable. However, I personally really dislike uneven saturation. It would put me off an otherwise brilliant stone, right or wrong. I thought I would address that when asked for my opinion. Not everyone feels the same, but that is precisely why I 'upgraded' my FIG - to a stone nearly identical, perhaps (gasp!) slightly lighter, but with noticeably more even coloration.

To the OP, congratulations on finding a lovely stone. I have no doubt it will be transformed into a gorgeous ring! :))

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
Meezermom|1334861175|3175267 said:
The diamond you picked is just gorgeous and will look stunning in the setting you are considering. I'm glad you are going with Leibisch - they have a great selection and I found them helpful, considerate and patient with me. Further, what you are seeing is what you are getting. :appl:

Thanks so much! I love getting the reassurances. Who knew a man can be this insecure when buying a diamond :twirl:

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
Laila619|1334862890|3175305 said:
I think you picked a beautiful FLY. Congrats!

Thank you =)

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
PrincessCath|1334877206|3175576 said:
Thank you, lereveur! I know my ring is right within your budget (the setting was custom made in the jewelry district in LA.) I already had the side diamonds, though. I do think YG looks wonderful with yellow diamonds...

If I had side diamonds like that laying around, I'd be the luckiest guy in the world with the easiest setting picking job haha

I need to make my own account. My girlfriend's cousin has been stalking these boards for years and made me an account because I was too intimidated to start the process and that's the name she picked out for me. The dreamer :errrr:

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
Rockdiamond|1334877378|3175580 said:
lereveur said:

The reason is that virtually all old mine brilliant stones are cut to make the stone look as white as possible.
A Y-Z which is cut for color will be a lot more yellow than one cut to reduce the color.
IN terms of performance, if the facet pattern, and precision of cut is similar, the optical performance will be as well.

Ah, thank you for the lesson, I had no idea. The expertise on this forum is impressive

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
justginger|1334877849|3175591 said:
Yes, as you noticed Kenny, there are only 2 photos. I have grown so accustomed to seeing that on their website that it doesn't even register now. :wink2: It seems at random, which ones have true multiple images and which are replications.

I do not disagree that this is a good purchase - the intensity of color for a 'light' grading is notable. However, I personally really dislike uneven saturation. It would put me off an otherwise brilliant stone, right or wrong. I thought I would address that when asked for my opinion. Not everyone feels the same, but that is precisely why I 'upgraded' my FIG - to a stone nearly identical, perhaps (gasp!) slightly lighter, but with noticeably more even coloration.

To the OP, congratulations on finding a lovely stone. I have no doubt it will be transformed into a gorgeous ring! :))

Thank you :) I sure will try

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
Actually lereveur is a great name. My son, when he was little, went to the French Lycee in LA, and his first grade teacher would call him just that...

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
I almost forgot to post the update.

I got in contact with them again for more pictures but they promptly notified me and said that they were closing for the weekend (I forgot about the time difference). So they will send me more pictures of the diamond on Sunday. But I think I'm pretty much set on this diamond.

Now on to finalizing the setting...........

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
PrincessCath|1334879009|3175627 said:
Actually lereveur is a great name. My son, when he was little, went to the French Lycee in LA, and his first grade teacher would call him just that...

Well it is most certainly endearing for a child, but not so much for a guy wanting to propose to his girlfriend haha

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
lereveur|1334876742|3175566 said:

If you will look at the GIA report it will state if the saturation is EVEN or not....most fancy yellows that I have seen they state the color and then saturation: "EVEN" So it would obviously be evenly saturated. Check the GIA report on your 1.5. Those light spots could be light reflecting in the photo. Hope the diamond you are choosing is a great performer.

I do believe that you are doing yourself a dis-service without checking out the GOG stones...especially the FANCY LIGHT YELLOW one which faces up larger and the same price as your 1.5 c stone. Have them send you an ASET of the 1.5 stone and then you will know if it leaks light or reflects light to your eyes. you are a novice at choosing diamonds and yes, you might get lucky, but if i were spending that kind of money I would want to make sure the diamond is a good performing diamond...that is the real beauty of a diamond ...how it performs. Bottom line is, You can get a dull flat non-sparkling fancy light yellow or a fancy light yellow that will wow with all the reflections of light. When they rate a stone's color at GIA they are very particular as to if it is FANCY..... LIGHT YELLOW, YELLOW, VIVID YELLOW, INTENSE YELLOW, DEEP YELLOW. And they can be a mixture of yellow-green, orangy yellow...etc etc. Anyway Photos can fool you.

I doubt if one "fancy light yellow" is more yellow than another "fancy light yellow" is my only point. If this 1.5 is more yellow then it would be rated "Fancy Yellow", however, I do know that cut does have an effect on how much yellow is seen by the eye as the guy from Diamonds by Lauren states. Note that DBL are trying to get more chunky faceted (antique cushion cut) diamonds in stock. and are dealing directly with a cutter that cuts them. I think I've read about that on their website. But they do know about color in diamonds.

Also another cool thing about the 1.39 fancy light yellow is that it has medium blue fluorescence...lots of personality with that feature! I asked before, but does anyone know if that makes a yellow diamond look green in certain lighting??? Just wondering.

Anyway I hope your 1.5 turns out great!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ariel144|1334885341|3175750 said:

If you will look at the GIA report it will state if the saturation is EVEN or not....most fancy yellows that I have seen they state the color and then saturation: "EVEN" So it would obviously be evenly saturated. Check the GIA report on your 1.5. Those light spots could be light reflecting in the photo. Hope the diamond you are choosing is a great performer.

I do believe that you are doing yourself a dis-service without checking out the GOG stones...especially the FANCY LIGHT YELLOW one which faces up larger and the same price as your 1.5 c stone. Have them send you an ASET of the 1.5 stone and then you will know if it leaks light or reflects light to your eyes. you are a novice at choosing diamonds and yes, you might get lucky, but if i were spending that kind of money I would want to make sure the diamond is a good performing diamond...that is the real beauty of a diamond ...how it performs. Bottom line is, You can get a dull flat non-sparkling fancy light yellow or a fancy light yellow that will wow with all the reflections of light. When they rate a stone's color at GIA they are very particular as to if it is FANCY..... LIGHT YELLOW, YELLOW, VIVID YELLOW, INTENSE YELLOW, DEEP YELLOW. And they can be a mixture of yellow-green, orangy yellow...etc etc. Anyway Photos can fool you.

I doubt if one "fancy light yellow" is more yellow than another "fancy light yellow" is my only point. If this 1.5 is more yellow then it would be rated "Fancy Yellow", however, I do know that cut does have an effect on how much yellow is seen by the eye as the guy from Diamonds by Lauren states. Note that DBL are trying to get more chunky faceted (antique cushion cut) diamonds in stock. and are dealing directly with a cutter that cuts them. I think I've read about that on their website. But they do know about color in diamonds.

Also another cool thing about the 1.39 fancy light yellow is that it has medium blue fluorescence...lots of personality with that feature! I asked before, but does anyone know if that makes a yellow diamond look green in certain lighting??? Just wondering.

Hi Ariel,
Please call me David!

A few general notes about color in diamonds.
1) Two diamonds with the GIA grade of "Fancy Light Yellow" can look totally different in terms of color- even if they are the same type of cut. The grades of FLY, FY, FIY, FVY- are all ranges, as opposed to one color.
But then, if we introduce different types of cuts, the variations within each grade become even wider.
Part of this is because of answer number 2
2) different facet designs concentrate color differently. Basically, if a Fancy Yellow Pear shape was cut like most colorless ones, it would have a greater concentration at the point. That's why most Fancy Colored Pear Shape diamonds are cut with different facet patterns than colorless ( generally).
So, a Fancy Light Yellow Emerald Cut may actually look less yellow than a Radiant of the same grade- and even the same position of saturation within the grade. This also goes to your statement about the comment "Even" on the GIA report.
A diamond's cut may actually create perceived color that's not all that "even" yet still get "even" in the grade.

3) the term "performance" does not really apply in a broad sense if we're comparing diamonds cut with different goals- in different proportions that create different optical signatures- at which point preference comes into play.
Furthermore, we need to look at diamonds that are set- because at the end of the day that's how most people will be looking at them. How a diamond performs loose and after it's set can be hugely different particularly with fancy colors

4) Fluorescence may indeed make a fancy yellow look a bit green in certain lighting. In general stones of Medium or Strong blue in the darker shades ( FY, FIY, FVY) trade at a nice discount over faint or inert stones.

I hope this helps

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Here are some interesting videos on colored antique cushions and a radiant that is fancy yellow with that crushed ice facet pattern. Note that light leakage lends itself to more intensity of color.

fancy light yellow (not yet graded) August Vintage cushion video Buttery bling! (would be interesting to know what color grade it did receive.)
Enjoy the videos.

http://vimeo.com/6599079

wx AVC (very light yellow – not fancy)

http://vimeo.com/19766353

fancy yellow radiant set with intense yellow diamond halo compared to AV round.
http://vimeo.com/18131678

Very educational, Enjoy!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Rockdiamond|1334888269|3175793 said:
ariel144|1334885341|3175750 said:

Hi Ariel,
Please call me David!

A few general notes about color in diamonds.
1) Two diamonds with the GIA grade of "Fancy Light Yellow" can look totally different in terms of color- even if they are the same type of cut. The grades of FLY, FY, FIY, FVY- are all ranges, as opposed to one color.
But then, if we introduce different types of cuts, the variations within each grade become even wider.
Part of this is because of answer number 2
2) different facet designs concentrate color differently. Basically, if a Fancy Yellow Pear shape was cut like most colorless ones, it would have a greater concentration at the point. That's why most Fancy Colored Pear Shape diamonds are cut with different facet patterns than colorless ( generally).
So, a Fancy Light Yellow Emerald Cut may actually look less yellow than a Radiant of the same grade- and even the same position of saturation within the grade. This also goes to your statement about the comment "Even" on the GIA report.
A diamond's cut may actually create perceived color that's not all that "even" yet still get "even" in the grade.

3) the term "performance" does not really apply in a broad sense if we're comparing diamonds cut with different goals- in different proportions that create different optical signatures- at which point preference comes into play.
Furthermore, we need to look at diamonds that are set- because at the end of the day that's how most people will be looking at them. How a diamond performs loose and after it's set can be hugely different particularly with fancy colors

4) Fluorescence may indeed make a fancy yellow look a bit green in certain lighting. In general stones of Medium or Strong blue in the darker shades ( FY, FIY, FVY) trade at a nice discount over faint or inert stones.

I hope this helps

Hi David,

Yes, I knew that cut affects the intensity of the color. I just posted a video of a fancy yellow radiant with the crushed ice which is a more vivid yellow, but then you have that intense yellow diamond halo to add more yellow bling. I know you have yellow cushions that have that same look and once I saw a yellow chunky cushion brilliant on your site...lovely! Thanks for the education on colored diamonds. Still learning.

Thanks for answering my question about medium blue fl. causing a yellow diamond to look greenish in certain lighting. I thought if it makes a white diamond look blue then it must make a yellow diamond look green.

2 more questions:

1. what does "YELLOW Fl." do to a yellow diamond? Make it more yellow in certain lighting?

2. if you place a light yellow diamond in a yellow gold setting and place a deep or intense yellow diamond or sapphire in the donut and/ or sides of the basket will it make the light yellow center show more color? (not into halos)

Love your website and your work. Love the way you display your fancy and white diamonds. This guy should call you but I think he is in a hurry. Hopefully his choice will work out well for his bride to be.

Too bad this one is out of his price range...FANCY YELLOW antique cushion with medium blue fl. YUM!
The color seems more intense under the table...I guess that is where it really counts.

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/yellow-old-mine-diamond-131-branded-dbl-cut-for-color-modern-antique-diamond-gia-r4445

And this YZ (light yellow)
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-branded-dbl-diamond-145ct-natural-light-yellow-double-decker-gia-r4068

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
ariel144|1334895038|3175881 said:
Love your website and your work. Love the way you display your fancy and white diamonds. This guy should call you but I think he is in a hurry. Hopefully his choice will work out well for his bride to be.

Too bad this one is out of his price range...FANCY YELLOW antique cushion with medium blue fl. YUM!
The color seems more intense under the table...I guess that is where it really counts.

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/yellow-old-mine-diamond-131-branded-dbl-cut-for-color-modern-antique-diamond-gia-r4445

And this YZ (light yellow)
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-branded-dbl-diamond-145ct-natural-light-yellow-double-decker-gia-r4068

I'm not really in a hurry per say... but I have been searching for quite some time for the perfect diamond/ring as I started way off track. It was quite a feat for me to settle down to this one stone. I think 1.50 is a great size with great clarity, more than I thought I could afford, especially since it's a yellow diamond.

Thank you for sharing your opinions but I don't really need links to diamonds I can not afford. Sure, if I put my entire savings in to the ring I certainly could. But since my funds will soon be (hopefully) my girlfriend's funds as well, I think she would prefer it if there was a good amount left over for us to start our life in. Newlyweds need furniture you know ;-)

With that said, David, if you have any yellow diamonds in the type of yellow I'm looking for, similar size with great clarity within my price range, I would love to talk to you and see some pieces. But if not, that's ok as well and I thank you for sharing all your knowledge. I have learned a great deal about yellow diamonds from you.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Please remember we do not allow posting of personal information on the website.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you! My goal is to educate so your post made me feel great

As Ella just wrote exchanging personal info is not allowed- but as a tradespserson my identity is known
If anyone wanted to reach me there's a contact form on our website
We love PS members!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
It is important for blatant errors be boldly corrected: GIA color grades are ranges and stones with identical gradings can vary massively in appearance. and, like all gradings, they are subjective. What one GIA employee deems fancy light yellow on Monday, another could call fancy yellow on Tuesday. Thus there are stones that are excellent buys in the sense they appear, for example, to be vivid but have been graded and priced as intense. The price difference between a vivid and intense grading can be thousands and thousands of dollars, so these are great finds. I'm sure Kenny can elaborate, or describe better than myself - but I do not like to see factual errors passed along to new posters. :nono:

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
ariel144|1334892584|3175849 said:
Here are some interesting videos on colored antique cushions and a radiant that is fancy yellow with that crushed ice facet pattern. Note that light leakage lends itself to more intensity of color.

fancy light yellow (not yet graded) August Vintage cushion video Buttery bling! (would be interesting to know what color grade it did receive.)
Enjoy the videos.

http://vimeo.com/6599079

wx AVC (very light yellow – not fancy)

http://vimeo.com/19766353

fancy yellow radiant set with intense yellow diamond halo compared to AV round.
http://vimeo.com/18131678

Very educational, Enjoy!

Thanks for the links! Yes, these videos are educational, but they are primarily promotional. I found the last one a bit disingenuous, in that the example of crushed ice FY was probably the ugliest, worst cut FY, in the ugliest setting ever to have walked the face of the earth. This shouldn't be considered a fair representative of its kind. But again, GOG is promoting a specific product, and it's fair enough provided this is taken with a grain of salt.

That said, I love the cut of their August Vintage, though I find them most of them more beige than "buttery." Lovely color, but not yellow to my eye. A matter of personal opinion I guess.

Now, the antique cut at DBL you pointed to is great: a true yellow, and a chunky cushion cut. Love it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results