shape
carat
color
clarity

Loose Fancy Yellow Diamond search

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
Lereveur, I've been thinking about your quest and was just about to recommend the two-tone VC you picked out. :) Though it might be an idea ask Larry, VC's head, about suitable styles. He dishes out excellent ideas and solutions that aren't usually obvious to the more remote observer, in large part because the loveliness of their pieces is exceedingly hard to capture in 2D.

Regarding price, I purchased this setting a couple of years ago, before the recent costs increases and it was under 2K (when dealing w/ Larry directly). I.e. I can't recommend enough that you discuss this with him. Best of luck with the project!

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
Sarahbear621|1335061512|3177541 said:
PrincessCath|1334950080|3176459 said:
Sarahbear621|1334946479|3176364 said:
Even with a colored diamond most women (especially younger women) prefer white gold or plantinum.

I don't think this kind of blanket statement is quite justified. This reminds me of another FCD thread that turned into a discussion of the assumption that "only men like blue diamonds." Fashions come and go, but I see a bit of everything these days.

I think the choice WG/YG/plat should be determined by the individual taste of the parties, and to some extent the allergies of the wearer. If lereveur and his fiancee love Van Craeynest, let them go for it, or something similar. Personally I find the detail and period style amazing. They do have both white and yellow gold, and a mix of both, BTW.

Someone awhile back posted an article that over 90% of engagment rings sold today are white gold, PLAT or similar. So I think it is quite justified. Notice I said most women as that is the trend these days not all. :read:

L- Personally the ring you are putting together is not my style as I'm more art deco and simple- throw a halo around anything and I'm in love. However, I am glad you switched the ring to white gold with the basket in yellow gold. I think the two tone will really even out the ring making the diamond stand out more. I hope she loves it and a very happy early congratulations on your engagement! :love:

Thank you :) When we went to look at rings she tried on a lot of halos and loved all of them a lot but ultimately she wanted something different and unique. I hope this is unique enough ;))

slg47

Ideal_Rock
lereveur|1335064477|3177566 said:
Even with a colored diamond most women (especially younger women) prefer white gold or plantinum.

I don't think this kind of blanket statement is quite justified. This reminds me of another FCD thread that turned into a discussion of the assumption that "only men like blue diamonds." Fashions come and go, but I see a bit of everything these days.

I think the choice WG/YG/plat should be determined by the individual taste of the parties, and to some extent the allergies of the wearer. If lereveur and his fiancee love Van Craeynest, let them go for it, or something similar. Personally I find the detail and period style amazing. They do have both white and yellow gold, and a mix of both, BTW.

Someone awhile back posted an article that over 90% of engagment rings sold today are white gold, PLAT or similar. So I think it is quite justified. Notice I said most women as that is the trend these days not all. :read:

L- Personally the ring you are putting together is not my style as I'm more art deco and simple- throw a halo around anything and I'm in love. However, I am glad you switched the ring to white gold with the basket in yellow gold. I think the two tone will really even out the ring making the diamond stand out more. I hope she loves it and a very happy early congratulations on your engagement! :love:

Thank you :) When we went to look at rings she tried on a lot of halos and loved all of them a lot but ultimately she wanted something different and unique. I hope this is unique enough ;))

did she specifically like more ornate/vintage styles? I ask because van craeynest settings are expensive and you don't want to get an expensive setting if you're not sure!

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
Aeolianarpa|1335062866|3177552 said:
Lereveur, I've been thinking about your quest and was just about to recommend the two-tone VC you picked out. :) Though it might be an idea ask Larry, VC's head, about suitable styles. He dishes out excellent ideas and solutions that aren't usually obvious to the more remote observer, in large part because the loveliness of their pieces is exceedingly hard to capture in 2D.

Regarding price, I purchased this setting a couple of years ago, before the recent costs increases and it was under 2K (when dealing w/ Larry directly). I.e. I can't recommend enough that you discuss this with him. Best of luck with the project!

Wow thank you, I'd love to talk to Larry. When I e-mailed them Paul responded. I'm not sure how to go about contacting Larry? Or if it's rude to request him after being in contact with Paul :sick:

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
slg47|1335064975|3177570 said:
lereveur|1335064477|3177566 said:

did she specifically like more ornate/vintage styles? I ask because van craeynest settings are expensive and you don't want to get an expensive setting if you're not sure!

Yes at first I liked the romantic notion of surprising her with everything but I quickly learned that is not some risk I was willing to take. 8)

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
Ah, worry not! :) It's no trouble to talk to Larry, just call Paul (AFAIK he's chief telephone answerer and package sender :razz:) and ask to speak to the main man. There's no question of rudeness, no-one there knows more about the technical details/pricing than he, and it's who they have to ask if any difficult questions come up. Think of it as saving time and increasing efficiency -- plus Larry loves to discuss the work with interested parties. Just keep in mind that it's a workshop and not a pristine corporate PR enterprise at that level, and you'll be fine. Good luck!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lereveur|1335033321|3177248 said:
Bringing this post back to my track, I have decided that I will be getting the Van Craeynest 457 setting :love:
I have contacted them and they said that they could make the basket in yellow gold and the band in white gold. I am really excited about this. What do you guys think?

I think that is going to look AMAZING. I agree that having the band in white gold will provide a nice contrast to the yellow diamond and make it pop.

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
Aeolianarpa|1335066520|3177580 said:
Ah, worry not! :) It's no trouble to talk to Larry, just call Paul (AFAIK he's chief telephone answerer and package sender :razz:) and ask to speak to the main man. There's no question of rudeness, no-one there knows more about the technical details/pricing than he, and it's who they have to ask if any difficult questions come up. Think of it as saving time and increasing efficiency -- plus Larry loves to discuss the work with interested parties. Just keep in mind that it's a workshop and not a pristine corporate PR enterprise at that level, and you'll be fine. Good luck!

Will do! Thank you very much. I will give him a call during my lunch break tomorrow :)

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
distracts|1335068074|3177590 said:
lereveur|1335033321|3177248 said:
Bringing this post back to my track, I have decided that I will be getting the Van Craeynest 457 setting :love:
I have contacted them and they said that they could make the basket in yellow gold and the band in white gold. I am really excited about this. What do you guys think?

I think that is going to look AMAZING. I agree that having the band in white gold will provide a nice contrast to the yellow diamond and make it pop.

Thank you :) I can't wait to show my girlfriend all that I learned from Pricescope!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi lereveur,
Since you've asked- I need to know if there was a problem if you sent a letter- did you try the "contact us" button on the website?

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
Rockdiamond|1335125252|3177900 said:
Hi lereveur,
Since you've asked- I need to know if there was a problem if you sent a letter- did you try the "contact us" button on the website?

Yes, can you verify that I was on the correct site? I didn't find your name on the "contact us". Wasn't sure if you were listed?

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
Davis, I believe there is a technical glitch with the "contact" button on your site. It didn't work when I first tried to reach you.

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
PrincessCath, or anyone else that has been helping me, do you think this diamond needs a halo? I was talking to some of the females in my family (they drive me crazy), and they think it would look better in a halo setting. They are not sure if the diamond is going to look small on her finger... she's a 5.25. They're driving insecurities in my head

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
lereveur|1335130932|3177959 said:
Rockdiamond|1335125252|3177900 said:
Hi lereveur,

Yes, can you verify that I was on the correct site? I didn't find your name on the "contact us". Wasn't sure if you were listed?
Hi
In my signature is a link to our site- diamondsbylauren
On the top right hand side is the contact button on every page of the site
Thanks Cath- when we communicated it was the old site- we have fixed the contact function
Lereveur- there's also a toll free number if you'd like to call
In personal communications I'll be able to give you more ideas
Lastly- we r a sponsor- so you can find us in the featured sponsor area of PS- there's contact info there as well

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
I think no diamond "needs" a halo. I, for one, love halos, but that's me. I also think some designs, like the one you picked, don't call for a halo at all.

What I think: this project needs is your fiancee's input, big time. Surprises are all very well, but she is going to wear this ring forever, so she should love it in and as of itself, not only because it's your choice. So my advice is to try to get a better sense of what she loves and wants. You mentioned she is into art deco, which is characterized by arrays of geometrical shapes.

The setting you picked is floral, not geometrical. I think it's more romantic than art deco. Is it her taste?

My own yellow diamond ring is going to be my e-ring. The last thing I wanted was a surprise. My SO and I discussed it at length, and we picked it together. It was our project, and we wanted something we both loved. Sure, this is the 2nd time around for both of us, so we may have a more down-to-earth approach this time, but I think it works. If you don't want to go this far, show her examples of settings, and listen to what she says.

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
PrincessCath|1335191421|3178397 said:
I think no diamond "needs" a halo. I, for one, love halos, but that's me. I also think some designs, like the one you picked, don't call for a halo at all.

What I think: this project needs is your fiancee's input, big time. Surprises are all very well, but she is going to wear this ring forever, so she should love it in and as of itself, not only because it's your choice. So my advice is to try to get a better sense of what she loves and wants. You mentioned she is into art deco, which is characterized by arrays of geometrical shapes.

The setting you picked is floral, not geometrical. I think it's more romantic than art deco. Is it her taste?

My own yellow diamond ring is going to be my e-ring. The last thing I wanted was a surprise. My SO and I discussed it at length, and we picked it together. It was our project, and we wanted something we both loved. Sure, this is the 2nd time around for both of us, so we may have a more down-to-earth approach this time, but I think it works. If you don't want to go this far, show her examples of settings, and listen to what she says.

Thank you, and good call! I showed her all the settings I thought would look nice and she liked, no, LOVED all of them. :confused: Which did not help me at all. I feel I take two steps forward and one step back each time. Which leads to my next post.......

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
Diamond #1 (1.5ct VVS1)
1.50ct%20FLY%20on%20hand%20-Pic1.jpg

OR

Diamond #2 (1.5 VS1)
r4537-cushion-diamond-a.jpg

I would like to know what you guys think! The cut is a bit different.

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
From the pix (always tricky) I'd say diamond 2 has much more fire. I like the cut better too.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
is it me or does the photo of the 1.5 (top stone) look a little sleepy?

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
It does look a bit static-y, doesn't it? The more intense yellow might be a function of this, but if both are equally lucky shots I'd stick no. 1 into a white halo to up the sparkle factor. Also if your GF has blue/red skin undertones the white will lessen color clash with the stronger yellow. No. 2 looks to be a more lively cut and could probably be set alone in white metal, though a white halo wouldn't hurt for color contrast at all. If color is the issue then 1, and if you're set on no halo, I'd go for no. 2.

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone!

Thank you all for your input. I agree that the second diamond has "more life" to it. So, I decided to go with the second diamond which was sourced by David at DBL. My experience with him has been nothing but great. I'm very glad he found my post on Pricescope.

With me being stationed in NC, I can't go to see the diamond or ring so... my girlfriend will be visiting DBL today! :bigsmile: She's so excited and so am I. I'm very glad that their location was close enough where she can actually SEE the diamond in person. David has been very accommodating to my situation and it's been awesome.

I asked my girlfriend to take a lot of pictures when she goes. So hopefully my next post will be full of pictures!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's very exciting that you've found a stone and your GF is involved and can check it out for herself ! I've been following and this has been very interesting to learn along with you!

I hope it is the diamond she wants and can't wait to see more pictures! Glad you are having a great experience, too!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfair comparison.
VERY different lighting.

Have them put side by side and take one pic.

Better yet, buy both and return one.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Kenny,
Can you please describe the lighting used for each photograph?

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
Hi I'm back!

My girlfriend went to see David today in the city and she was over the moon or sun I should say ;-) (sorry, me being cheesy)

I'm going to make a new post about the whole process after we get the ring but I thought I'd come back with a picture.

r4537-handshot2.jpg

The picture is of the FLY on my girlfriend's hand. They sized her up and her finger size is 5.25 (for reference on size).
She loved it and she thought it looked better in person and did not think pictures do it justice. I am really excited to see the diamond for myself soon. I decided I am making this purchase not only because I think it's great in pictures, but because my girlfriend thinks it's great in person. Plus, it's going to be on her finger anyway so her opinion matters more!

I know I originally wanted to go the "traditional" surprise of a proposal but I think this process has made both of us more excited then ever.

She also took a bunch of pictures with some of DBL's other rings "for reference" (I know she secretly coveted all of them) and sent me the pictures too. I think it might be a hint for when I hit it big? :lol:
Anyway, I have those pictures too if anyone wants to see. I got permission from David to share any pictures my girlfriend took

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yowza, it's a beauty!

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
lereveur|1335588088|3182714 said:
Hi I'm back!

My girlfriend went to see David today in the city and she was over the moon or sun I should say ;-) (sorry, me being cheesy)

I'm going to make a new post about the whole process after we get the ring but I thought I'd come back with a picture.

r4537-handshot2.jpg

The picture is of the FLY on my girlfriend's hand. They sized her up and her finger size is 5.25 (for reference on size).
She loved it and she thought it looked better in person and did not think pictures do it justice. I am really excited to see the diamond for myself soon. I decided I am making this purchase not only because I think it's great in pictures, but because my girlfriend thinks it's great in person. Plus, it's going to be on her finger anyway so her opinion matters more!

I know I originally wanted to go the "traditional" surprise of a proposal but I think this process has made both of us more excited then ever.

She also took a bunch of pictures with some of DBL's other rings "for reference" (I know she secretly coveted all of them) and sent me the pictures too. I think it might be a hint for when I hit it big? :lol:
Anyway, I have those pictures too if anyone wants to see. I got permission from David to share any pictures my girlfriend took

All photos welcome so do share.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I actually LOVE the first stone you posted, the sleepiness of it. Is it one of David's as well?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
YES YES YES!!! Please post her photos!!!
Could you start a new thread with DBL photo shoot or something like that as a title?

Which of the 2 diamonds did she select, the top VVS1 or the bottom VS1 stone in your photographs? The size does look perfect for her lovely hand!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Please share the other photos your girlfriend took!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results