shape
carat
color
clarity

Loose Fancy Yellow Diamond search

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
Hello, I have been annoyingly bouncing on and off of Pricescope for a couple of months now. I have not been able to consistent with my research and actual search for the engagement ring.

After talking with my girlfriend to make sure she gets what she wants, We have decided that we're going with a cushion yellow diamond as the center stone (modified or square). A long confusing journey led to this decision.

My budget is $7000-8000.
I was thinking of delegating my budget: $5000 for the stone, $2000 on the setting.
Or maybe even spending more on the stone and less on the setting.

To get to the point. I have been searching on Diamonds by Lauren, and Leibish.

Here are the specs for a diamond that I think would be ok. But I need opinions from people more knowledgeable.

Diamond Weight: 1.06 Carat
Diamond Color: Fancy Yellow
Diamond Shape: Cushion
Diamond Clarity:IF
Diamond Measurements: 5.96x5.34x3.68
Diamond Total Depth: 68.9%
Diamond Intensity: Fancy Yellow
Fluorescence: None
Diamond Polish: Very Good
Diamond Symmetry: Good
Diamond Certificate: GIA

Price: $5390

I have also checked buydiamondsdirect but they don't seem to have images of the diamonds which makes me a little wary. I don't know much about specs just to go off of that. But they do have a 10 day return policy.

Here is a diamond from there:

Weight: 1.52
Shape: Cushion Modified
Measurements: 7.16x6.20x3.85
Depth: 62.1
Table: 53
Girdle: Thick-Extr. Thick
Culet : None
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Clarity Grade: VS2
Color Grade: Fancy Light Yellow
Fluorescence: None

Price: $4,028
Link: http://www.buydiamonddirect.com/details/detailGIA.asp?ITEM=32360865

Thanks for the help everyone.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Stick with a GIA graded stones. If it's a YELLOW color you want, I suspect you won't like the Fancy Light Yellow.

Fancy colors and shapes really need pictures. Ask for a lot of pictures from any vendor. If they don't/can't produce them, I'd shy away. DBL and Leibish are GREAT choices.

If you've already searched through DBL and Leibish, I would suggest reddiam as well. A quick search produced these

http://www.reddiam.com/diamonds_in.aspx?id=1184
http://www.reddiam.com/diamonds_in.aspx?id=58
http://www.reddiam.com/diamonds_in.aspx?id=1292

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI everyone!
David- thank you for thinking of us!

One thing you wrote that I think might not be true for a lot of people looking is about Fancy Light Yellow as a color.
A properly graded FLY is quite yellow.
Remember, the difference between Fancy Yellow and Fancy Light Yellow is very small- in fact there are borderline stones on both sides that might get a different grade on a different day.
The result is that the darkest stones GIA grades Fancy Light Yellow are actually more yellow than the lightest ones GIA grades "Fancy Yellow"
This is bound to happen as the stones are graded by human eyes- and also there's variation within the color of yellow that makes 100% consistency in grading impossible.

At the lightest end of Fancy Light Yellow- bordering on YZ- the stones are still yellow enough to be seen as a yellow diamond with no help from a yellow gold setting- or white diamonds for contrast.....

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
Rockdiamond|1334786359|3174563 said:
HI everyone!

One thing you wrote that I think might not be true for a lot of people looking is about Fancy Light Yellow as a color.
Remember, the difference between Fancy Yellow and Fancy Light Yellow is very small- in fact there are borderline stones on both sides that might get a different grade on a different day.
The result is that the darkest stones GIA grades Fancy Light Yellow are actually more yellow than the lightest ones GIA grades "Fancy Yellow"
This is bound to happen as the stones are graded by human eyes- and also there's variation within the color of yellow that makes 100% consistency in grading impossible.

At the lightest end of Fancy Light Yellow- bordering on YZ- the stones are still yellow enough to be seen as a yellow diamond with no help from a yellow gold setting- or white diamonds for contrast.....

Thank for you for the educational post. I know my girlfriend would actually prefer a buttery yellow, rather than a dark golden yellow. I thought of a Fancy Yellow to be the happy medium but if there's not much of a difference, I will not rule out Fancy Light Yellows

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Rockdiamond|1334786359|3174563 said:
HI everyone!

Great Point David! I know what you're saying too. My latest FCD purchase was what I expected to be Fancy Light or even YZ, but GIA graded it just Fancy. I was pleasantly surprised :D

But I think it reiterates the fact that they need to be SEEN, preferably in person, or at very least in a variety of lighting situations.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my predictable, annoying, repetitive, customary, obligatory, usual testimony for Leibish. :wavey:
Hey, it's for the noob. :saint:

www.fancydiamonds.net

I'm a real long time customer, not a shill.
Over the years I have bought 20 fancy colored diamonds from them and have returned 8 with no hassles or disappointments.
Proof: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-colored-diamond-collection.159746/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-colored-diamond-collection.159746/[/URL]

The color of FCDs appears to change in real life depending on environment and lighting.
FCDs are notoriously hard to photograph.
Considering both of those factors I have found the color of the diamonds in the pics at Leibish to be very true to life - a commendable feat, and an essential factor when buying online - since we must pay for the return shipping and insurance.
Plus their return policy is very understanding of how you have to hold an FCD in your hand to be sure you like it.

Leibish also has a huge inventory, currently with 214 Yellows.

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1334789014|3174587 said:
Here is my predictable, annoying, repetitive, customary, obligatory, usual testimony for Leibish. :wavey:
Hey, it's for the noob. :saint:

www.fancydiamonds.net

I'm a real long time customer, not a shill.
Over the years I have bought 20 fancy colored diamonds from them and have returned 8 with no hassles or disappointments.
Proof: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-colored-diamond-collection.159746/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-colored-diamond-collection.159746/[/URL]

The color of FCDs appears to change in real life depending on environment and lighting.
FCDs are notoriously hard to photograph.
Considering both of those factors I have found the color of the diamonds in the pics at Leibish to be very true to life - a commendable feat, and an essential factor when buying online - since we must pay for the return shipping and insurance.
Plus their return policy is very understanding of how you have to hold an FCD in your hand to be sure you like it.

Leibish also has a huge inventory, currently with 214 Yellows.

Your collection is amazing. I now know why my girlfriend is enamored with fancy colored diamonds. I am willing to purchase the diamond this Thursday. Hopefully I'll find the perfect one!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lereveur|1334791674|3174623 said:
Your collection is amazing. I now know why my girlfriend is enamored with fancy colored diamonds. I am willing to purchase the diamond this Thursday. Hopefully I'll find the perfect one!

Thanks, I'm sure you will find a fine specimen.
You've gotten a lot of good advice here.

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
I am thinking of getting the diamond from Leibish.
The bigger problem is now the setting. I don't think she will like a simple halo or solitaire :((

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I can't help you regarding settings.

All my FCDs are running around my safe deposit box, loose. :lol:

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1334801956|3174751 said:
Sorry, I can't help you regarding settings.

All my FCDs are running around my safe deposit box, loose. :lol:

What a lucky safe deposit box it is!

Edit to add: I have a question for you (or any other fancy diamond knowledgeable personnel)
For a yellow diamond, is the clarity important? Should I go for the IF or a bigger ct. with a lesser clarity?

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
L, whats your top choice stone at the moment? any links?

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
chel180|1334829689|3174901 said:
L, whats your top choice stone at the moment? any links?

Weight: 1.50 ct.
Color: Fancy Light Yellow
Shape: Cushion
Clarity: VVS1
Measurements: 6.55x5.98x4.00
Total Depth: 66.9%
Intensity: Fancy Light
Diamond Fluorescence: None

The other one I was looking at sold :(sad
But this stone is bigger. But also priced at $6200 which only leaves me about $1000 for a setting

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Good luck on your hunt for the perfect FCD! Beware it can become addicting quickly :) I am also a FCD nut and have been buying them for years. I have worked with various vendors and I can highly recommend David with DBL, not only is he a stand up guy-he has great prices and customer service too. It is also nice to have a one stop shop when selecting an E-ring and I know David would be able to find you the perfect diamond even if it is not listed on his site. Can't wait to see what you choose, please come back with pics of the ring!!!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
For me, it's always carat over clarity - as long as my stones are eye clean, I want the extra money to go to weight. Other people do not feel the same. For them, the knowledge that there are large but invisible imperfections in their stone drives them batty. :errrr: You have to decide which type you are and then purchase accordingly.

Fancy colored diamonds are a bit different though - unlike white diamonds, there are not plentiful supplies of every gradation of cut, color, clarity, and carat weight combos hanging around, ripe for the picking. Sometimes you have to go a bit lower/higher in various grades, depending on availability. Despite not caring about clarity myself, my 1 ct fancy intense yellow is IF. It was the right weight, intensity, shape, and the photos spoke to me -- so I bought it. Finding the same thing again, but in a lower clarity in order to save money would have taken some time, even in yellow which is a fairly common fancy color (as opposed to grayish violet, or unmodified blue, etc). You may find that your clarity grade is chosen by your budget, desired weight, and availability of yellow stones at the time. :bigsmile:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Like StepCutNut I would go with David at DBL. I got my FLY from him and really love it. He could probably put together the entire ring for you for one price if you gave him your budget .

Since she doesn't like a halo or a solitare about a cushion with half moons? I think that would look great.

Edit to add a few suggestions in your price range:
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/ring-special-103ct-si1-cushion-cut-s-t-color-diamond-platiunm-trilliant-ring
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-diamond-117ct-cushion-cut-w-x-natural-light-yellow-vs2-gia-fantastic-cut-r4249

I think this setting would look awsome with a FLY cushion:
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/semi-mount-double-baguette-in-white-or-yellow-gold

Ok not a cushion but I'm totally in love with this ring:
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/Asscher-diamond-ring101ct-asscher-cut-fancy-light-yellow-vs1-gia-rare-beauty-r4210

I didn't see your budget was 8k. I thought it was 5-7k so you could definitely get a bigger diamond etc with that budget.

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
I think my search for diamonds is over. I am purchasing from Leibish tonight! Please tell me what you think of these specs.
It's the same one I had my eye on. I can post the link as well

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to the site, found your stone, scrutinized the GIA report.
Hope you don't mind me posting a pic, but you have it on reserve so nobody can take it away from you.

I honestly think you found a particularly fine one and a fine value.
That color looks very strong for the GIA grade of Fancy Light yellow. Lucky you.
That yellow also looks very fresh and clean, sometimes you can see a bit or gray or brown or dullness in some yellows.
No fluorescence to be concerned about, which sometimes may change the color in an undesirable way in colored diamonds.
It has a feather but since it is GIA VVS1 the clarity is ultra fine and ultra safe.
The color does look quite even over the whole stone; some have areas of dramatically stronger and weaker color.

Now, I'm going to bring up a topic that will anger sellers of FCDs: cut for light performance.
FCDs are cut to strengthen the color, which results in the highest GIA color grade, which results in the higest profit.
They are cut not for super ideal light performance like some high-end white diamond brands.
Still I personally try to look for the needle in the haystack FCDs with great color and light performance.
After buying 20 and returning 8 inly a few of my remaining 12 have both.
A couple of mine with horrible cut and light performance yet I kept them and dearly love em for their superb and unique color.
Everyone will tell you, with FCDs it's all about the color.

I am not an expert on what depth and table% is a good range for cushion cuts, but those two numbers are never enough to make a call anyway since they could have put the girdle too close to the table, too close to the culet, or in just the optimum spot.
Again even few white cushions are cut for superior light performance like Good Old Gold's August Vintage Cushions.
Looking at their pics, and seeing the depth is 66.9%, I do not detect windowing - an result of a too shallow diamond that lets lots of light leak out the back and making the diamond preform like a window instead of returning light to your eyes.

I think all things considered this will be a keeper, and quite a good deal too.
It is a substantial weight and VVS1 so will hold it's value well over time and over the long term may actually appreciate nicely - something we hesitate to suggest and something not true for many diamonds.

FCDs are all about the color.

Screen shot 2012-04-19 at 7.38.00 AM.png

justginger

Ideal_Rock
If you love it, get it. ::) As for my honest opinion, I'm not loving the clear areas in the center of the stone. They are visible in every shot, including the real life perspective. I would ask the Leibish rep if they are that obvious in real life. Make sure to set up an account with Leibish as well, you are eligible for a member discount. :)) If this stone speaks to you, get it. I just like my color saturation to be a bit more even than the photos for that stone show -- but again, in real life those colorless patches may not even be visible. It would be best to ask.

As for setting - have Leibish do a custom setting for you. It's best with lighter yellow colors to have them set in yellow gold baskets, to bring out the intensity of yellow. Companies that are accustomed to working with colored stones are simply more experienced and talented at doing that. I would suggest having Leibish handle the entire thing for you. I've heard excellent things about their workmanship and the photos of their finished projects look lovely. I got a quote from them for a setting at one point (before another expense reared its ugly head) and it was very competitive with other Pricescope vendors.

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
lereveur|1334845905|3175024 said:

Very elegant setting! Keep in mind that you are purchasing a cushion, though, not a round. I am not sure this would have the same appeal with a cushion.

Leibisch does settings too. You may get ideas there for cushions from their catalog, even if you don't get the setting from them. Their prices are very reasonable too, about half of what I was quoted by the "big names" in LA. I would have gone with them, except they don't work with third-party diamonds, and I wanted to reuse some of mine for the halo.

In any case, you should definitely get your fiancee's input for the setting. I'd hit both the internets and B&M stores with her to look specifically at cushion settings.

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1334846932|3175033 said:
I went to the site, found your stone, scrutinized the GIA report.
Hope you don't mind me posting a pic, but you have it on reserve so nobody can take it away from you.

I honestly think you found a particularly fine one and a fine value.
That color looks very strong for the GIA grade of Fancy Light yellow. Lucky you.
That yellow also looks very fresh and clean, sometimes you can see a bit or gray or brown or dullness in some yellows.
No fluorescence to be concerned about, which sometimes may change the color in an undesirable way in colored diamonds.
It has a feather but since it is GIA VVS1 the clarity is ultra fine and ultra safe.
The color does look quite even over the whole stone; some have areas of dramatically stronger and weaker color.

Now, I'm going to bring up a topic that will anger sellers of FCDs: cut for light performance.
FCDs are cut to strengthen the color, which results in the highest GIA color grade, which results in the higest profit.
They are cut not for super ideal light performance like some high-end white diamond brands.
Still I personally try to look for the needle in the haystack FCDs with great color and light performance.
After buying 20 and returning 8 inly a few of my remaining 12 have both.
A couple of mine with horrible cut and light performance yet I kept them and dearly love em for their superb and unique color.
Everyone will tell you, with FCDs it's all about the color.

I am not an expert on what depth and table% is a good range for cushion cuts, but those two numbers are never enough to make a call anyway since they could have put the girdle too close to the table, too close to the culet, or in just the optimum spot.
Again even few white cushions are cut for superior light performance like Good Old Gold's August Vintage Cushions.
Looking at their pics, and seeing the depth is 66.9%, I do not detect windowing - an result of a too shallow diamond that lets lots of light leak out the back and making the diamond preform like a window instead of returning light to your eyes.

I think all things considered this will be a keeper, and quite a good deal too.
It is a substantial weight and VVS1 so will hold it's value well over time and over the long term may actually appreciate nicely - something we hesitate to suggest and something not true for many diamonds.

FCDs are all about the color.

Ah thank you so much for thoroughly reviewing the diamond! You have given me much great insight. I feel better about my possible first FCD purchase

snailmeat

Rough_Rock
Lereveur, it seems we are thinking along the same lines. I just purchased the other 1.50 ct. from Leibish during my lunch break...

lereveur|1334844690|3175006 said:
I think my search for diamonds is over. I am purchasing from Leibish tonight! Please tell me what you think of these specs.

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
justginger|1334847051|3175034 said:
If you love it, get it. ::) As for my honest opinion, I'm not loving the clear areas in the center of the stone. They are visible in every shot, including the real life perspective. I would ask the Leibish rep if they are that obvious in real life. Make sure to set up an account with Leibish as well, you are eligible for a member discount. :)) If this stone speaks to you, get it. I just like my color saturation to be a bit more even than the photos for that stone show -- but again, in real life those colorless patches may not even be visible. It would be best to ask.

As for setting - have Leibish do a custom setting for you. It's best with lighter yellow colors to have them set in yellow gold baskets, to bring out the intensity of yellow. Companies that are accustomed to working with colored stones are simply more experienced and talented at doing that. I would suggest having Leibish handle the entire thing for you. I've heard excellent things about their workmanship and the photos of their finished projects look lovely. I got a quote from them for a setting at one point (before another expense reared its ugly head) and it was very competitive with other Pricescope vendors.

I asked for more pictures, such as hand shots. Hopefully they'll get back to me on that.

As for custom work... I do not think anyone will do custom work for a $1000-1,500 setting

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Couple things.
You say "every" shot.
There are four pics, but actually there are only two photographs.
The three shots outside the case are the same photograph; two are just rotated or with the tweezer removed or a reflection added underneath.
Look very closely and compare every single highlight and shadow.
I've told Leibish I don't like that they've do this, but I'm not running the company.

They do this but they do NOT mess with the elimination of inclusions or color quality - which is what really matters when evaluating an FCD.
Again I don't like that they do this but to me it is much less sinful than what other FCD vendors do which actually, IMHO, misrepresents the diamonds.
There, now nobody can blame me for being a shill for them.

So the effect you are describing is in two pics not four, since 3 of the 4 are the same pic.
Yes the diamond has slightly less strong color in the center, but many FCDs have much less-even color especially near the girdle.
And as you said it could just be the pics and not bothersome in real life.

All FCDS are a complex combination/compromise of many factors, including price.

Even with what you bring up I still think this 1.5 ct Fancy Light Yellow which looks like a strong Fancy Yellow, the VVS1 clarity and the price make it a killer deal.

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
snailmeat|1334848664|3175053 said:
Lereveur, it seems we are thinking along the same lines. I just purchased the other 1.50 ct. from Leibish during my lunch break...

lereveur|1334844690|3175006 said:

I was not aware there was another 1.50ct.... I hope they did not sell the same diamond?

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1334848892|3175058 said:

Couple things.
You say "every" shot.
There are four pics, but actually there are only two photographs.
The three shots outside the case are the same photograph; two are just rotated or with the tweezer removed or a reflection added underneath.
Look very closely and compare every single highlight and shadow.
I've told Leibish I don't like that they've do this, but I'm not running the company.

They do this but they do NOT mess with the elimination of inclusions or color quality - which is what really matters when evaluating an FCD.
Again I don't like that they do this but to me it is much less sinful than what other FCD vendors do which actually, IMHO, misrepresents the diamonds.
There, now nobody can blame me for being a shill for them.

So the effect you are describing is in two pics not four, since 3 of the 4 are the same pic.
Yes the diamond has slightly less strong color in the center, but many FCDs have much less-even color especially near the girdle.
And as you said it could just be the pics and not bothersome in real life.

All FCDS are a complex combination/compromise of many factors, including price.

Even with what you bring up I still think this 1.5 ct Fancy Light Yellow which looks like a strong Fancy Yellow, the VVS1 clarity and the price make it a killer deal.

Thank you Kenny. You cleared my doubts once again on the color. The previous stone I was looking at was a fancy yellow 1.06 ct that sold. But before it sold I was comparing the colors between the two and I didn't see much of a difference, if any. But that may be because my eye isn't trained for differences between fancy yellow and fancy light yellow

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
lereveur|1334848859|3175055 said:
As for custom work... I do not think anyone will do custom work for a $1000-1,500 setting

It depends on what you want (halo, pave, etc.) When I got quotes for my setting, Leibisch was very competitive.

lereveur

Shiny_Rock
PrincessCath|1334849640|3175072 said:
lereveur|1334848859|3175055 said:

It depends on what you want (halo, pave, etc.) When I got quotes for my setting, Leibisch was very competitive.

I was thinking a few diamonds on the band to make the yellow diamond stand out. But I don't want the basket to be too high like cathedral setting

PrincessCath

Shiny_Rock
lereveur|1334850830|3175087 said:
I was thinking a few diamonds on the band to make the yellow diamond stand out. But I don't want the basket to be too high like cathedral setting

Indeed a few colorless diamonds would make the yellow stand out. I would also go for a yellow gold basket. Based on the advice received here (thanks, Kenny!) I decided NOT to cup my diamond, and am very happy with my choice. But I went for a YG setting, except for the prongs of the colorless diamonds on the halo, which are WG. I guess I need to get pix of my sunny baby to post here...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pros-and-cons-of-cupping-yellow-diamonds.173138/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results