shape
carat
color
clarity

looking for a 2+ carat padparadscha for engagement ring! help

voce

Ideal_Rock
Inken definitely has access to good sources, but with your budget of $6500 for 2ct+, you'd be handcuffing her unless you're willing to compromise (accept a windowed gem like the ones from Jupiter gem or color or size). You could get a gorgeous pad colored spinel, but if your fiance is a geologist them she might not be enthusiastic about that. I'd also check with her what HER priorities are, i.e. color and cut might be more important than size, compared to your own preferences for the 4Cs, and involve her in the pad search.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I mentioned above the alternative of a stop gap using a spinel but I’ve just found this beautiful tourmaline. If you like it please be quick because I can see this getting snapped up. https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/1037371895/4-ct-tourmaline-orangish-pink?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=padparadscha&ref=sc_gallery-2-12&plkey=7399e191674ff772de149798509fda04ffd8255c:1037371895&sca=1

gahhhh why isn't this purchased yet??

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
*CeylonSapphireGems was the vendor in some recent threads.
That's also something about Instagram- so many vendor names are similar it's hard to keep them straight and know who is the right vendor for your needs.
I get that, and I think it's the smartest move! That way the end result is the best for both of you. I also think it can be a pretty romantic/touching experience if you approach it that way.
Instagram should make anyone a little leery. I think there is a spinel ring on offer by another PS(maybe still available? not sure) that is seriously beautiful.
Also on Loupetroop:

I've purchased from Jim before and he's very nice. I would want a video in outdoor lighting (personally), but his return process is easy if you see it IRL and aren't happy

dan chain

Rough_Rock
Inken definitely has access to good sources, but with your budget of $6500 for 2ct+, you'd be handcuffing her unless you're willing to compromise (accept a windowed gem like the ones from Jupiter gem or color or size). You could get a gorgeous pad colored spinel, but if your fiance is a geologist them she might not be enthusiastic about that. I'd also check with her what HER priorities are, i.e. color and cut might be more important than size, compared to your own preferences for the 4Cs, and involve her in the pad search.

I do think i will go the temporary spinel route in a nice setting until i can get more clarity from her

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I don’t know anything about pads just commenting so I can follow and I’m interested in the result. But my favorite stone so far of the ones looked at is the Pearlman’s one. I don’t mind the stripe and think it’s kinda cool lol. Gary’s looks like a pink sapphire to me (again maybe monitor color). The spinel is really beautiful and a good idea for a promise ring.

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
gahhhh why isn't this purchased yet??

Regarding that - eek take a look at the customer pics and vendor pics. The difference is stark. Customers seem happy but this tourmaline for example looks brown compared to vendor pic.

Attachments

• 0FCC86A8-C7B9-481F-A0A3-11A1F69B7A58.jpeg
    0FCC86A8-C7B9-481F-A0A3-11A1F69B7A58.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 16

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding that - eek take a look at the customer pics and vendor pics. The difference is stark. Customers seem happy but this tourmaline for example looks brown compared to vendor pic.

View attachment 848962

ooooooh that's a problem for sure.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
ooooooh that's a problem for sure.

Some of the reviews pics are accurate but wow most of them are far darker, browner etc. I think he's using lightbox or something major to brighten them up.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of the reviews pics are accurate but wow most of them are far darker, browner etc. I think he's using lightbox or something major to brighten them up.

I am both sad and happy about that, beause it means I no longer want it. But annoyed that the pics are inaccurate lol

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I am both sad and happy about that, beause it means I no longer want it. But annoyed that the pics are inaccurate lol

Yay! You just saved $700!! :lol:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I’m just gonna say I’d be so so mad if I was a gemologist and my intended didn’t include me in the search for a stone.

So mad!

I’m only an enthusiast and I would’ve still been upset had my now husband “surprised me”!

Granted some ladies really want a surprise, but I wouldn’t waste money on even a placeholder stone if you don’t really think deep down the surprise matters a TON to her! It just takes more $$ from the final stone, and remember the placeholder still has to be set.

That’s at least ~$1k-2.5k on a temporary ring. And that’s only if you find a stock setting that fits (I’m guessing - I’ve only done custom projects)

Have you ever discussed ring shopping before? Maybe it’s time!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m just gonna say I’d be so so mad if I was a gemologist and my intended didn’t include me in the search for a stone.

So mad!

I’m only an enthusiast and I would’ve still been upset had my now husband “surprised me”!

Granted some ladies really want a surprise, but I wouldn’t waste money on even a placeholder stone if you don’t really think deep down the surprise matters a TON to her! It just takes more $$ from the final stone, and remember the placeholder still has to be set.

That’s at least ~$1k-2.5k on a temporary ring. And that’s only if you find a stock setting that fits (I’m guessing - I’ve only done custom projects)

Have you ever discussed ring shopping before? Maybe it’s time!

That's a very very good point!

goldnsilver

Shiny_Rock

That really is a crazy difference! Very worrying indeed if one were to buy from their shop.

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
I believe the future wife is a geologist rather than a gemologist. Which is vastly different in terms of contacts in the gemstone world.

OP, I wish you luck in all of this & it's very exciting for you both. Congratulations on the upcoming engagement.

While I'm sure she'd be happy with what you choose because it is from you, I would also suggest learning if being surprised vs. choosing the ring is more important to her. Perhaps her friend could ask her.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I believe the future wife is a geologist rather than a gemologist. Which is vastly different in terms of contacts in the gemstone world.

OP, I wish you luck in all of this & it's very exciting for you both. Congratulations on the upcoming engagement.

While I'm sure she'd be happy with what you choose because it is from you, I would also suggest learning if being surprised vs. choosing the ring is more important to her. Perhaps her friend could ask her.

Oh! I completely misread that! My apologies.

Still...I think finding out more will be useful instead of spending money on something she may not like. Asking a friend is a great idea, but I also am an advocate for just talking to her as her future partner just to know if she even wants to be involved.

Posing it as a hypothetical..."Hey, when the time comes, how involved do you want to be?"

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
Oh! I completely misread that! My apologies.

Still...I think finding out more will be useful instead of spending money on something she may not like. Asking a friend is a great idea, but I also am an advocate for just talking to her as her future partner just to know if she even wants to be involved.

Posing it as a hypothetical..."Hey, when the time comes, how involved do you want to be?"

Increased communication is always a good thing. :)

Edited to add: Your suggestions are all great @Cerulean .

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
And, sorry if my post seemed directed toward you @Cerulean . I did not intend that at all. She's been referred to as a gemologist many times throughout the thread & I was just trying to clear that up for the OP.

And I only pointed it out because geology is not what we think of when on this site---our brains automatically correct it for us to gemology. :D

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
And, sorry if my post seemed directed toward you @Cerulean . I did not intend that at all. She's been referred to as a gemologist many times throughout the thread & I was just trying to clear that up for the OP.

And I only pointed it out because geology is not what we think of when on this site---our brains automatically correct it for us to gemology. :D

Oh no harm at all! I’m glad you corrected us!

A very close family friend is a geologist…he had a peripheral interest in gemology, but they are very different.

I remember spending summers at his home as a child. He’d take us hunting for geodes or other special things. His home was eventually so full of rocks and fossil specimens that I had to camp in his yard when we visited! I loved it!

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
Oh no harm at all! I’m glad you corrected us!

A very close family friend is a geologist…he had a peripheral interest in gemology, but they are very different.

I remember spending summers at his home as a child. He’d take us hunting for geodes or other special things. His home was eventually so full of rocks and fossil specimens that I had to camp in his yard when we visited! I loved it!

That's so neat!! I bet that was so much fun!

I grew up near a small tech college with a surprisingly amazing geology museum. I loved going to see all the neat rocks, minerals, specimens, and dinosaurs. That museum started it all. :)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Geologist or gemologist she obviously has a love for stones so buying something for her will probably be more challenging than somebody with no love of gemstones.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Geologist or gemologist she obviously has a love for stones so buying something for her will probably be more challenging than somebody with no love of gemstones.

Exactly! This isn't your average lady, I'm guessing!

dan chain

Rough_Rock
Exactly! This isn't your average lady, I'm guessing!

no not average at all, on top of being a actual geologist, she is a actress (currently in greenland for a tv show, had to quit her job at the mine for the tv show) and a model as a hobby that she gets paid for, so yeah a model actress geologist that likes to get dirty but still likes her frye boots and dooney and bourke purses but then will find clothes at goodwill for a photoshoot, so weird.

also anyone ever work with a guy named dilshad from sri lanka and uses the instagram name padparadscha.lk ? email is [email protected] he has some really nice stones at good prices, if he is legit

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
no not average at all, on top of being a actual geologist, she is a actress (currently in greenland for a tv show, had to quit her job at the mine for the tv show) and a model as a hobby that she gets paid for, so yeah a model actress geologist that likes to get dirty but still likes her frye boots and dooney and bourke purses but then will find clothes at goodwill for a photoshoot, so weird.

also anyone ever work with a guy named dilshad from sri lanka and uses the instagram name padparadscha.lk ? email is [email protected] he has some really nice stones at good prices, if he is legit

Unless people in this forum have heard of him buying from Instagram from an unknown is a HUGE risk. Also be aware that some lab reports are not worth the paper they’re written on. For a pad (which typically is an expensive purchase) you really want to buy from a known and trusted seller.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

Please don’t buy from a random seller! Proceed with extreme caution on Instagram. That is only a route I recommend for a stone that is for a fun project, and with money you won’t be devastated or hurt financially if it’s lost

I’ve bought off IG, but I was prepared for the worst (obviously hoping it didn’t happen) - but I would never buy something as important as an engagement ring stone off IG- too risky. You have no protection if something happens and assume returns aren’t possible

Not to make you paranoid but even a seller many people have good experiences with turned out to be very problematic- here’s a thread

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Just chiming in to say your intended sounds awesome! I vote for having a talk and including her in the process. Surprises are massively overrated.

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
@dan chain I haven't been following this thread closely, has anyone suggested Desert Rose Gems on IG? That is a seller with a good reputation (and I agree with everyone else that you need to be very careful on IG); she's going to a gem show and taking requests now for things to look for. You might try reaching out and seeing if she can scout some good stones for you.

dan chain

Rough_Rock
@dan chain I haven't been following this thread closely, has anyone suggested Desert Rose Gems on IG? That is a seller with a good reputation (and I agree with everyone else that you need to be very careful on IG); she's going to a gem show and taking requests now for things to look for. You might try reaching out and seeing if she can scout some good stones for you.

Good to know, I'll hit her up.
I'll skip on the Instagram guy, I was only going to go with it if people had experience with him.
There is a gem show in Tucson in a week or two that i am going to try and go to.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Good to know, I'll hit her up.
I'll skip on the Instagram guy, I was only going to go with it if people had experience with him.
There is a gem show in Tucson in a week or two that i am going to try and go to.

I’d make sure you ask if she will do returns in case you aren’t thrilled in person - I didn’t think she offered them

I’m still going to advocate that you involve your spouse, though!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results