clarity

looking for a 2+ carat padparadscha for engagement ring! help

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Have you had a look on Gemfix?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So whats with the site multicolour.com not having a actual padparadscha listing? I found quite a few that look exactly like what other jewelers would list as a padparadscha

I feel pretty safe in assuming he would have a listing for Padparadscha, if he were offering a stone that had a lab report designation of that color.
Some other vendors will label as ‘pad like’ or ‘pad color’.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
how was this one on pearlmansjewelers.com? pad.JPG

This is will you will find vast varying opinions on Pads.
I like seeing color zones. I feel the orange stripe will be much less visible at normal viewing.
This orange zoning is much different than finding an orange stain that runs along an inclusion on a pink sapphire.
It’s got a lab report designating it as a Pad. I’d love to see this /own this one.

Figuring out what parameter you (really your GF) wishes to compromise on, is where you really have your work cut out for you. Faceting, size, clarity, color - going for ‘pad like’……
Where I’d choose to concede on most likely isnt the same as you or others.
That’s the hardest part about asking for advice on stones you are looking for.

One thing that has not been mentioned - is color shifting in different lighting sources. It’s a real thing. Please make sure you are seeing stones you are interested in multiple lighting sources. Natural and the different lightbulbs. Most likely that’s another category of what you are able to compromise on vs not.

Congrats and happy hunting!

dan chain

Rough_Rock
This is will you will find vast varying opinions on Pads.
I like seeing color zones. I feel the orange stripe will be much less visible at normal viewing.
This orange zoning is much different than finding an orange stain that runs along an inclusion on a pink sapphire.
It’s got a lab report designating it as a Pad. I’d love to see this /own this one.

Figuring out what parameter you (really your GF) wishes to compromise on, is where you really have your work cut out for you. Faceting, size, clarity, color - going for ‘pad like’……
Where I’d choose to concede on most likely isnt the same as you or others.
That’s the hardest part about asking for advice on stones you are looking for.

One thing that has not been mentioned - is color shifting in different lighting sources. It’s a real thing. Please make sure you are seeing stones you are interested in multiple lighting sources. Natural and the different lightbulbs. Most likely that’s another category of what you are able to compromise on vs not.

Congrats and happy hunting!

so im really tempted to pull the trigger on that particular stone, i personally like the color stripe, its essentially impossible for me to figure out what she would want to compromise on without giving away the surprise, she definitely has "fancy" tastes in everything, frye boots, tag watches, and a bunch of other stuff i know little about.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
what the general opinion on this one? I kinda like the orange in the center. https://www.thenaturalsapphirecompa...ion-padparadscha-sapphire-pa3668-/#AssetData6

If you are drawn to this one - without a lab report pad designation - and like it’s color
And I think someone’s already mentioned spinels to you-
How about this 4ct+ spinel ring that’s well under your budget?
F677C7AE-A5F1-4238-96F4-52D7F244CC41.jpeg
I put a pic of it next to the stone you linked, for comparison.
It’s over in the ‘preloved’ section of this site.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
so im really tempted to pull the trigger on that particular stone, i personally like the color stripe, its essentially impossible for me to figure out what she would want to compromise on without giving away the surprise, she definitely has "fancy" tastes in everything, frye boots, tag watches, and a bunch of other stuff i know little about.

I feel that surprises are great and romantic and all that - but you really do get to almost guarantee her unwavering happiness and content in the ring with having her input and it not be a surprise.
Look up pearlmans return policy well in advance if you go this route. Plus - I think they run sales intermittently. It’s worth asking if you can have a typical sale discount.

PS- wanted to add all my input comes from my own previous pad search and ultimately settling on a ‘kinda pad like’ sapphire. ;-)

Pps
If you look up publications from gem labs/gem experts, I believe you will find differenting opinions on the color zoning aspect equaling a ‘true’ pad. Same as origin.

Last edited:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see purple in this stone so I wouldn’t call it strictly a pad. Gorgeous colour though.

Is this the Finewater one?
With a Lotus lab report as a Padparadscha?
Isnt Lotus one of the most esteemed lab report designation for pads?
If you are seeing purple I wonder if it’s a monitor issue?

(My camera will sometimes put lilac/purple into my ‘pinky peach’ sapphire and it’s not there at all.)

fantapanda

Shiny_Rock
Besides Inken, there's also Tandi (desertrose_gems) on IG. I believe she mentioned in her IG stories about going to a gem fair at the end of the month, so may be worth asking her to source one for you there. I'd make sure to get her store policy on sourcing, returns, etc before commiting to something as important as an engagement ring.

Edit to add: this pad looks AMAZING but I don't know pads at all, just that this seller has some incredible looking blue sapphires: https://www.instagram.com/p/COmw_AZhvK0/?utm_medium=copy_link

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I've never personally bought from any of these but others on the board have with some great results. Might be worth reaching out.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
how was this one on pearlmansjewelers.com? pad.JPG

FYI: Pearlman's doesn't actually have that stone on hand; their database for colored stones is actually that of a wholesaler, Gem2000, based in Ohio. Plug that item number, 10638, into Gem2000's Search box and you'll see that Pad, with GIA report, pop up:

What this means is that any jeweler who has a Gem2000 account, or can get approved for a Gem2000 account, can obtain that Pad for you. And since Gem2000 doesn't dictate the retail prices of the stones it supplies to retailers, it's entirely possible that another jeweler would sell it for less (or more) than the price Pearlman's is listing it at.

Is there a reputable jeweler in your area that you-she know of? If so, I would recommend that you consult with them & ask if they will "call in" the stone -- at no obligation to you to purchase it. The advantage to using a local jeweler is that if you don't care for the stone once you see it in real life is that you won't have to go through the hassle of returning the stone to Pearlman's -- and pay a 5% restocking fee. See Diamonds and Gemstones Policies on this Pearlman's web page re Policies:
Also, if you're using someone local (or relatively conveniently located) to fabricate the e-ring & set the stone, they may charge you a bit less for the Pad, if you decide it's "the one" after seeing it in real life, than would be the case if you just buy the Pad through them.

dan chain

Rough_Rock
FYI: Pearlman's doesn't actually have that stone on hand; their database for colored stones is actually that of a wholesaler, Gem2000, based in Ohio. Plug that item number, 10638, into Gem2000's Search box and you'll see that Pad, with GIA report, pop up:

What this means is that any jeweler who has a Gem2000 account, or can get approved for a Gem2000 account, can obtain that Pad for you. And since Gem2000 doesn't dictate the retail prices of the stones it supplies to retailers, it's entirely possible that another jeweler would sell it for less (or more) than the price Pearlman's is listing it at.

Is there a reputable jeweler in your area that you-she know of? If so, I would recommend that you consult with them & ask if they will "call in" the stone -- at no obligation to you to purchase it. The advantage to using a local jeweler is that if you don't care for the stone once you see it in real life is that you won't have to go through the hassle of returning the stone to Pearlman's -- and pay a 5% restocking fee. See Diamonds and Gemstones Policies on this Pearlman's web page re Policies:
Also, if you're using someone local (or relatively conveniently located) to fabricate the e-ring & set the stone, they may charge you a bit less for the Pad, if you decide it's "the one" after seeing it in real life, than would be the case if you just buy the Pad through them.

well all that is really good info!

dan chain

Rough_Rock
I've never personally bought from any of these but others on the board have with some great results. Might be worth reaching out.

the instagram sellers do freak me out a bit, and i think ive see a few horror stories about ceylon blue sapphires form people in this forum.
Im now trying to decide if i want to just spend the money and get one now or just throw a spinel in a ring and have her help decide, i mean she is the geologist /rockhound

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the instagram sellers do freak me out a bit, and i think ive see a few horror stories about ceylon blue sapphires form people in this forum.
Im now trying to decide if i want to just spend the money and get one now or just throw a spinel in a ring and have her help decide, i mean she is the geologist /rockhound
I vote for making this a collaborative decision -- and I'd say that even if she were not a geologist!

Unless she's already tried on a number of different kinds of e-rings, the stone shape and ring that she thinks she wants -- based on, e.g., Instagram and Pinterest pics -- may not be what she ultimately decides, upon seeing various possibilities on her hand, pleases her the most.

Plus, I still have fond memories of shopping for an e-ring & the wedding bands years ago with my then fiancé. It was definitely a fun project to do together as a couple :))

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
*CeylonSapphireGems was the vendor in some recent threads.
That's also something about Instagram- so many vendor names are similar it's hard to keep them straight and know who is the right vendor for your needs.
I get that, and I think it's the smartest move! That way the end result is the best for both of you. I also think it can be a pretty romantic/touching experience if you approach it that way.
Instagram should make anyone a little leery. I think there is a spinel ring on offer by another PS(maybe still available? not sure) that is seriously beautiful.
Also on Loupetroop:

Last edited:

dan chain

Rough_Rock
damm that does look like a really really good stop gap while on the hunt for a pad!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
damm that does look like a really really good stop gap while on the hunt for a pad!

Mmmhmm, I personally think so too.
I am biased though, as I love spinels the best.
They're my particular weakness :bigsmile:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's still listed in his etsy shop inventory (but as he's pointed out in his LoupeTroop ad, the etsy price is higher than if you were make the purchase from him directly):

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Is this the Finewater one?
With a Lotus lab report as a Padparadscha?
Isnt Lotus one of the most esteemed lab report designation for pads?
If you are seeing purple I wonder if it’s a monitor issue?

(My camera will sometimes put lilac/purple into my ‘pinky peach’ sapphire and it’s not there at all.)

May well be my phone - that’s why is such a minefield buying off the screen isn’t it.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:
M

maru8888777

Me too. I nearly bought it! If the OP doesn't want it then I will.

this is a new store for me! They have pretty things!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results