shape
carat
color
clarity

looking for a 2+ carat padparadscha for engagement ring! help

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
I’d make sure you ask if she will do returns in case you aren’t thrilled in person - I didn’t think she offered them

I’m still going to advocate that you involve your spouse, though!

According to IG stories, within 7 days shop credit/exchange.

prosecutrix

Rough_Rock
Trade
Besides Inken, there's also Tandi (desertrose_gems) on IG. I believe she mentioned in her IG stories about going to a gem fair at the end of the month, so may be worth asking her to source one for you there. I'd make sure to get her store policy on sourcing, returns, etc before commiting to something as important as an engagement ring.

Edit to add: this pad looks AMAZING but I don't know pads at all, just that this seller has some incredible looking blue sapphires: https://www.instagram.com/p/COmw_AZhvK0/?utm_medium=copy_link

I bought a really amazing blue sapphire from ceylon_blue_sapphires. They are definitely worth talking with. I've actually been messaging him about finding a pad this week and he has a few. He is very good about providing multiple pics and videos and answering all questions. The prices, despite him being SL based, are still pretty steep, but he may be able to find you something within budget. He sent me one the other day that was under $6500 and it was very pretty.

prosecutrix

Rough_Rock
Trade
I bought a really amazing blue sapphire from ceylon_blue_sapphires. They are definitely worth talking with. I've actually been messaging him about finding a pad this week and he has a few. He is very good about providing multiple pics and videos and answering all questions. The prices, despite him being SL based, are still pretty steep, but he may be able to find you something within budget. He sent me one the other day that was under $6500 and it was very pretty.

For what it's worth, here is my thread regarding my purchase from @ceylon_blue_sapphires (NOT @ceylonsapphiregems). https://www.pricescope.com/communit...blue-sapphire-and-diamond-ring-by-cvb.268320/

I have also purchased several stones from Jim McCormick. He is US-based and very easy to work with, although I find his photos/videos lacking, he is very nice and has very reasonable prices. Easy to work with, and the things I've bought from him have been as good or better than they looked in his photos.

dan chain

Rough_Rock
Screenshot_20210825-073325.png So desertrosegems aka tandi Hufnagel sent me some videos of a few stones that she has found at a gen show she is it. I think I really like the 2.22 carat one, unfortunately I can only screen shot the video to post it here, can figure out how to share a Instagram video sent to me Screenshot_20210825-073322.png

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Screenshot_20210825-073325.png So desertrosegems aka tandi Hufnagel sent me some videos of a few stones that she has found at a gen show she is it. I think I really like the 2.22 carat one, unfortunately I can only screen shot the video to post it here, can figure out how to share a Instagram video sent to me Screenshot_20210825-073322.png

This looks very pale compared to the photos you found that your intended like. This doesn’t seem like the her desired color

It reminds me of morganite. I’d pass

dan chain

Rough_Rock
This looks very pale compared to the photos you found that your intended like. This doesn’t seem like the her desired color

It reminds me of morganite. I’d pass

Here is another but I think it may be too pink Screenshot_20210825-073404.png

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on the colours your intended likes I don’t think any of these are what she’s looking for. Perhaps tell Tandi like she likes very saturated stones. Maybe send her the inspirational photos so she has something to work with. Also please check with Tandi what her returns policy is. If it’s exchange of store credit think very carefully about this because you would end up tied to one seller if things don’t go to plan.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on the colours your intended likes I don’t think any of these are what she’s looking for. Perhaps tell Tandi like she likes very saturated stones. Maybe send her the inspirational photos so she has something to work with. Also please check with Tandi what her returns policy is. If it’s exchange of store credit think very carefully about this because you would end up tied to one seller if things don’t go to plan.

totally agree.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
For what it is worth my DH proposed with plain band and then we selected my ER together. I got the surprise, a meaningful ring that I wear daily and my dream ER that I had input in.

prosecutrix

Rough_Rock
Trade
I came across this very saturated one while browsing for myself. I wouldn't want it this intense, but it seemed like what you maybe were looking for? Only about 1.5ct though.

Padparadscha%20FINEST%20COLOR%201.55%20cts.%20sq.CU%20low%20heated%201.jpg

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't read all the posts in detail, but if she is a professional geologist, I would speculate that she would want a natural, untreated, unheated stone. Since she is an expert in this area, I would highly recommend picking a stone together. You could surprise her with the final setting and proposal. Just seems risky to go at it without her, even with PS help. Not to be a downer, but if I was a professional geologist or gemologist, I'm 99% certain I would be not satisfied with what my SO picked out given difference in experience and expertise when it comes to rocks and minerals! Just my 2 cents!

dan chain

Rough_Rock
I haven't read all the posts in detail, but if she is a professional geologist, I would speculate that she would want a natural, untreated, unheated stone. Since she is an expert in this area, I would highly recommend picking a stone together. You could surprise her with the final setting and proposal. Just seems risky to go at it without her, even with PS help. Not to be a downer, but if I was a professional geologist or gemologist, I'm 99% certain I would be not satisfied with what my SO picked out given difference in experience and expertise when it comes to rocks and minerals! Just my 2 cents!

well i decided to go with the pad that tandi hufnagel found at the gem show, if it is too pale then i will probably sell it and keep looking. I do know the my gf definitely wants a surprise though, just too make it harder

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
well i decided to go with the pad that tandi hufnagel found at the gem show, if it is too pale then i will probably sell it and keep looking. I do know the my gf definitely wants a surprise though, just too make it harder

Hmm. It really looks nothing at all like the ones she likes.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm. It really looks nothing at all like the ones she likes.

To each their own I guess, I would never entrust anyone to chose a ruby/pad for me. Too many factors and too much money at stake - what a hassle!

Mate, if your fiancée knows her stuff I don’t think you’ll be able to find THE stone she wants, unless she is willing to compromise to make you happy.

Wanting a surprise on such a complicated stone like padparadscha is risky business. I recommend to clarify this with your fiancée in order to avoid potential frustration, financial and otherwise.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the idea of a surprise is wonderful. Our partner instinctive knowing exactly what we want, designing it, tweaking it just right and ending with slipping in our fingers. Our minds blown by something amazing that we can show off, oh he knows me so well.

Reality is often very different. The party not involved doesn't actually know what can be accomplished with the budget, or what stock is available and what that means regarding budget, size, preferences or timelines. Some people really are very happy with whatever was chosen for them by their beloved. Based on experience with friends I'd say those people are in the minority. I hope your partner is the former but please be aware a surprise can be hugely disappointing even if that's what the receiver thinks they want most.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a bit concerned that you don’t have options for a refund. This stone can only be exchanged for another or a store credit. It honestly doesn’t look like her inspiration photos. I sincerely hope you aren’t disappointed but you’ve picked one of the most challenging stones to buy. Before the stone is shipped (if you still have time) why not get lots of photos of pads and say something like “I was intrigued with your love of pads and decided to have a look at them- are these pads?” And include the stone you’ve bought. You might need to do the same with photos of Alexandrite because you mentioned that in your first post. It’s a bit transparent but you’ll get an honest answer.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If it doesn’t already have a lab report, have you thought about asking the seller to get the lab report for you, before it ships to you?
Especially if you have plans to sell it if it doesn’t work out to expectations. You might have a much easier time selling it and recouping a larger amount of what you have into it, if you do. At least I think you would.
And I’d think a lab report on a ‘rock’ would really resonate with your intended’s profession?
You haven’t shared what the price range was for the stone you did buy - and that’s totally fine if you don’t of course - but there’s many who feel if you are paying $$$ for the Padparadscha name - a (select few) lab report designating it as such is non negotiable important.

My fingers are crossed that you both love the stone :)

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok so what everyone is saying politely is that the stone looks awful, and should be a pass.

@dan chain I agree with all of them!

I dont think its awful by any means. I do think it's nothing like her inspiration and way too pale/light. It doesn't look like a pad to me at all. It looks like a pink/pale garnet. So I dont think it was a good choice, ESPECIALLY since theres no returns.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think request a lab report as a pad is only really a pad if you can get a reasonable lab report for it -- lower bound being GIA lab report labeling it a pad (but AGL would be good). It is probably just fine as JCK is a big show and there will be a couple of well known vendors for dealing in unheated sapphires there that she has been known to shop with in the past. But pads are tricky -- any brown or purple and it doesnt qualify, not enough orange or pink and it doesn't qualify, too much colour zoning and it mostly doesn't qualify. Some labs may require sri lankan in origin, and potentially unheated as well. There is a good reference here somewhere for exactly what range of colora variations will recieve the label pad from one of the major labs (I am a bit too tired to find it for you but someone else may remember the link). Ask for it to be sent to the lab for a report, it will remove a lot of the headache.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
if it is too pale then i will probably sell it and keep looking

Late to this party but you will not be able to just "sell it." Even the pros -- with their reports and websites and thousands of followers -- struggle to just sell stuff. This is not a good plan. You will get 0.25 on the dollar. Buy the right one first.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I saw this pad on my IG and thought I would share it. It’s from a IG seller in SL that I’ve bought from but as all the recent threads have warned, approach with a lot of care since refunds are difficult and I’m not sure about the certification. Just for your research.
DD86C9B4-57DA-479A-8B6D-C345CDB05650.jpeg

FinewaterGems

Rough_Rock
Trade
The following article is recommended reading for anyone contemplating the purchase of a padparadscha sapphire. I believe that this is the same reference that qubitasaurus mentioned.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results