shape
carat
color
clarity

looking for a 2+ carat padparadscha for engagement ring! help

Zanter

Rough_Rock
Personally, I think that a 2c PAD can't really show off its beauty unless the colors are saturated and if too saturated, it might not rate as a PAD according to some quarters.

You'd want the viewer/user to exclaim "Wow" for an engagement ring? Given the budget I rather go for a look-a-like or stimulant like a larger Spinel or Tourmaline like https://www.gemrockauctions.com/auc...-100-natural-unheated-mine-mozambique-1472829

You can keep an eye out for a nice PAD for anniversary ring when your budget allows it?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I think that a 2c PAD can't really show off its beauty unless the colors are saturated and if too saturated, it might not rate as a PAD according to some quarters.

You'd want the viewer/user to exclaim "Wow" for an engagement ring? Given the budget I rather go for a look-a-like or stimulant like a larger Spinel or Tourmaline like https://www.gemrockauctions.com/auc...-100-natural-unheated-mine-mozambique-1472829

You can keep an eye out for a nice PAD for anniversary ring when your budget allows it?

Lol that stone is 23 ct, and theres no chance it looks like that IRL

Zanter

Rough_Rock
It is returnable if unsatisfied :)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The challenge is finding a color such as in https://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/unheated_padparadscha_spinel_2_95/10826/17804 in a sapphire.

Spinels used to be 50% the price of equivalent Sapphires but that gap is closing fast due to the recognition that Spinels are untreated and indeed good quality spinels are rarer than hen's teeth. Mahenge and Jedi Spinels come to mind...$$$$

Whilst I suggested a spinel much earlier on in this thread there are tons more affordable ones AND a better pad colour. This looks waaayyyyy too saturated and with very little pad like colours. It’s so expensive!

Zanter

Rough_Rock
I quite like the colors of that spinel but agreed, its too expensive. For a small gemstone, I'd find the subtle light to med hues of a PAD, not "wow" enough for an engagement ring. Well maybe I haven't seen enough PAD yet :)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I quite like the colors of that spinel but agreed, its too expensive. For a small gemstone, I'd find the subtle light to med hues of a PAD, not "wow" enough for an engagement ring. Well maybe I haven't seen enough PAD yet :)

I prefer medium hues. Too pastel and they can be wishy washy but too saturated and (to me) they don’t have the glorious subtle look of a pad. They just end up being orange blobs!

Zanter

Rough_Rock
It's too stressful to have a gemologist model fiance who happens to love padparadscha sapphires lol

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The following article is recommended reading for anyone contemplating the purchase of a padparadscha sapphire. I believe that this is the same reference that qubitasaurus mentioned.

Thanks, I have been looking for this. The advice is also spot on.

dan chain

Rough_Rock
well im really not to concerned if its not the color that im hoping for, it is lab certified so we will see, pretty sure ill be able to get all or very close to what i paid for it back if i just dont like it, got it from a gem show so there was definitely some savings. Cant afford the "ideal" pad as they run way up in the 20 to 50k range and id much rather buy another property than have 40k tied up in a ring.

reirei

Shiny_Rock
Why don’t you reach out to gemoceanltd on Instagram to see if he has any he hasn’t posted. Two pricescopers have successfully purchased gorgeous blue sapphires from him at great prices and are very happy.

This is a 2.07 carat Padparadscha he has listed and I’m unsure if he still has it in stock. He definitely has contacts and sources though

74775ED2-E4AD-44DD-975D-010AE23243BB.png

M

maru8888777

well im really not to concerned if its not the color that im hoping for, it is lab certified so we will see, pretty sure ill be able to get all or very close to what i paid for it back if i just dont like it, got it from a gem show so there was definitely some savings. Cant afford the "ideal" pad as they run way up in the 20 to 50k range and id much rather buy another property than have 40k tied up in a ring.

I hope you like the sapphire Tandi sold you! I was rooting for the Finewater one, personally, but it's your purchase! I have never bought anything from Tandi but she seems nice and I am sure if you run into something she'll be accommodating. I hope you'll come back and show pictures of the sapphire once you have it! I've not seen a ton of pads, and am always eager to learn more.

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
I'd go AWOL too, if a bunch of strangers told me the stone I already purchased was ugly or will be disappointing.
For OPs situation, it seems like he had a lot of factors involved in his decision- budget, possible inspiration pics, a gf who is more knowledgeable on the subject than he, and what looks like an abbreviated timeline to find and buy a pad. Since gf wants it to be a surprise, she must trust his intuition to some extent- despite his own lack of geological know-how. And although the one he picked isn't like the inspiration, he knows his gf and must have seen something she would like in the sapphire he chose. I hope he posts better pictures when he has it!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I'd go AWOL too, if a bunch of strangers told me the stone I already purchased was ugly or will be disappointing.

I think ppl were just really surprised, bc he pulled the trigger on a stone whose color didn't look like the others he was considering or her inspo pics, and also surprised he picked a vendor who didn't take returns. Fingers crossed it works out.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Mreader I get it. It's just that once his decision was made and he purchased the stone, it seemed like a good time for us to chill.

P.S. Maybe if he doesn't want it one of us can buy it. Tandi has excellent prices! ;)2

M

maru8888777

@Mreader I get it. It's just that once his decision was made and he purchased the stone, it seemed like a good time for us to chill.

P.S. Maybe if he doesn't want it one of us can buy it. Tandi has excellent prices! ;)2

She does, and a good eye! I imagine that this will all turn out well.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I’m really exited to see this ring! I’m never in CS, but I happened to see “padpardascha” as I was scrolling and got excited. I’m so impressed with your thoughtfulness @dan chain , and I’m sure that your geologist girlfriend will love whatever you pick. (But if she doesn’t, don’t be offended. Just introduce her to Pricescope, where she will find thousands of like minded people who buy, sell and change their engagement rings all the time.)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m really exited to see this ring! I’m never in CS, but I happened to see “padpardascha” as I was scrolling and got excited. I’m so impressed with your thoughtfulness @dan chain , and I’m sure that your geologist girlfriend will love whatever you pick. (But if she doesn’t, don’t be offended. Just introduce her to Pricescope, where she will find thousands of like minded people who buy, sell and change their engagement rings all the time.)

Oh my word ….. I hope she’s not already a Pricescope member!!!!! Dan I hope that’s not your real name! Eeeeek!

Zanter

Rough_Rock
Yeah do show us the gem you received. Pictures often can't do pads justice as they can't capture the nuances if color they possess . You can enhance most gemstones with a halo of diamonds. Wish you well on your proposal.

dan chain

Rough_Rock
Yeah do show us the gem you received. Pictures often can't do pads justice as they can't capture the nuances if color they possess . You can enhance most gemstones with a halo of diamonds. Wish you well on your proposal.

So yep went awol for a minute, been super busy, it is kinda pale like the pictures, tandi definitely didn't do anything to make it look more saturated than it is, I was hoping that it was a bit more saturated than the photos. It's still a nice pad, very very clean. I'm getting it mounted in a ring right now. I actually went with a rose gold and diamond ring, never thought I'd like a rose gold but this one looks good and it helps bring up the color of the stone. The stones that my gf sent her friend as examples of dream pads are literally 50k stones. If she's not super thrilled with this stone we will just take it out and find another. The only reason I didn't go with the permanent stone was the banding in it, I kinda liked that and it was 50/50 on people saying that's a bad idea with banding and the others saying it's fine. I'll post a pic when I get it back

dan chain

Rough_Rock
So yep went awol for a minute, been super busy, it is kinda pale like the pictures, tandi definitely didn't do anything to make it look more saturated than it is, I was hoping that it was a bit more saturated than the photos. It's still a nice pad, very very clean. I'm getting it mounted in a ring right now. I actually went with a rose gold and diamond ring, never thought I'd like a rose gold but this one looks good and it helps bring up the color of the stone. The stones that my gf sent her friend as examples of dream pads are literally 50k stones. If she's not super thrilled with this stone we will just take it out and find another. The only reason I didn't go with the permanent stone was the banding in it, I kinda liked that and it was 50/50 on people saying that's a bad idea with banding and the others saying it's fine. I'll post a pic when I get it back

Pearlmans stone, not permanent, stupid auto correct

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rose gold is an excellent choice because it may amp up the saturation a bit. I hope she loves it. You’ve put in a ton of thought so I’m sure it will be a very special ring. Will you show it to us when it’s finished please?

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations @dan chain! I was quietly lurking this post from the start and I'm happy to know you've found your Pad. I think it will look gorgeous in rose gold!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results