shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying from CeylonSapphireGems: An expensive mistake

It all started with me buying a 4.09ct blue sapphire from CeylonSapphireGems on Instagram. I took a chance because his prices were nearly half of US vendors. Also, other PSers seemed to have good experiences buying from him. Unfortunately, the sapphire ended up being a lot darker and grayer than I expected, so I requested a refund per his "100% satisfaction guaranteed" policy.

However, the seller would not send me a return shipping label. So I created one myself for the very first time. BIG MISTAKE. I did everything right except I put the seller's name instead of "CeylonSapphireGems." This error caused the package to bounce back from FedEx to customs, because his name was not registered with VAT system.

Initially, the seller wouldn't go to pick up the package, because he said he would have to pay higher VAT fees if it is not under his company name. Once I realized he really wasn't going to go, I offered to cover the difference if he would just go get the package. When he finally went, we then found out that the package could not be released until the name was fixed. FedEx would have to send him some paperwork to make the name change.

Days pass. The seller claimed his "handling agent" had contacted FedEx to get the paperwork. But he never got them so there was nothing he could do. I asked if he tried contacting FedEx himself. The seller literally responded with, "Plz tel me how." So I actually had to find the phone number for their office (in Sri Lanka, where he is based!) and forwarded it to him. Oh look! Two days later, the paperwork was delivered to him.

Initially, he blamed these delays on him never having someone request a return from him in the 16 years or whatever that he has been in business. Then never mind, he actually had one before but it was years ago. Then no wait, I'm the second return he'd ever gotten. Hold on, make that 3. All happening right now. And all from first time buyers. Huh, how bout that.

Furthermore, he kept using the "never had a return before" bit as an excuse for why he made little effort to make things right even though he really wanted to! So I, as the client and a foreigner to his country, researched banking regulations, phone numbers for businesses, etc. etc., trying to get this all sorted out.

Eventually, the package was released after a 4-week delay.

Phew. Ok, let's get the refund going now! Or so I thought...

After the seller received the package and confirmed that the sapphire was in the same condition as when he sent it, he promised to wire my refund within a day or two.

Note: When I first requested to return the stone, he told me that the only way to move $ out of Sri Lanka was through a black market money exchange agent. I did some research and learned that Sri Lanka has some of the most restrictive laws regarding sending money out of the country. So at the time I thought, "Alrighty, do what you gotta do."

But after 2 business days had passed, I asked him for an update. He responded that he won't be making the wire transfer after all.

After more excuses and delays, CeylonSapphireGems finally admitted he didn't want to wire $ thru his black market money exchange agent, because he'd lose a lot $ on the exchange rate. Instead, this whole time he was waiting for a client to buy a stone from him and have that client send me the money directly. Wait what?

Then one client suddenly became two. After a while and I hadn't heard anything from either client, CeylonSapphireGems eventually agreed to personally wire me my refund and take the loss on the exchange rate if his clients hadn't Zelled me my money by the end of the week. Friday passes. No money to be seen.

CeylonSapphireGems reneged on his word, again. He decided he still wasn't going to complete the wire transfer himself, because of how much money he would supposedly lose. I mean, I understand that exchange rates fluctuate. But isn't this an expected risk when doing business with international clients? And why does he keep saying it's a valid reason to withhold thousands of dollars from someone?

So he continues to insist on waiting for a client to pay me directly. To date, he has sent my personal info (including my full name and home address) to four randos. Well, four that I know of. Awesome.

As of now, CeylonSapphireGems has had the returned item in his possession for 3 whole weeks as well as all of my money. Meanwhile, I'm left with nothing.

So that's the long and the short of it. I hope this post will be helpful to anyone who is considering doing business with CeylonSapphireGems.

Now excuse me while I continue to wait for this next client of his who "will send money today." Although, he's been saying this for the past 5 days so...yeah… Wish me luck!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an awful experience (so far) and I’m sorry it turned out this way.

I wonder what he’s telling the prospective customers why they should be Zelle-ing money to you instead of him.
lies or truth?
And I can’t imagine that sways an indecisive person to hit that send button.

I’m truly sorry and hope this is resolved for you soon.

i, too, would like to see vendor vs your pics of this stone. Did it ever look remotely like advertised in any lighting?

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I can appreciate the experience wasn’t acceptable for you. So don’t use this kind of vendor in future. Stick to actual companies with customer service staff and western style sales and returns policies.

These guys are single traders who buy directly from the mines. They don’t have staff, they don’t have multiple currency bank accounts in Zurich, they are independent traders.

If you go to Beruwala gem market it seems like insane, terrifying, chaos with scores of people shouting and waving and shoving sapphires at you by the handful. All these guys walking around, no security, nothing, with literally hundreds of thousands of dollars of sapphires in their pockets in little paper packets. To us it would seem crazy. You cannot imagine the difference in buying experience between the NY diamond district or Hatton Garden to that. And it’s the same with buying from an IG direct vendor vs buying from The Natural Sapphire Company or Bloomingdales.

Honestly, I think it’s highly unlikely you will end up out of pocket. I’ve waited a long time and experienced some highly unusual and unorthodox practises in dealing with vendors from India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and other far flung places. But I’ve never not been made whole in the end.

The view of these types of dealers is that as long as you receive what you paid for and / or you eventually get your money back, no harm, no foul and no reason to complain. That’s just how things are viewed there. It’s how they deal with each other.

Will be following with interest to see if my theory, given my own past experiences are proven correct in this circumstance.

Try not to worry too much. Easier said than done I know.

I’m someone who buys all my jewelry exclusively in India, and have visited the most chaotic gem shows/markets as a result of doing so. Even with my own jeweler, some of the ways things work - for example, sending a super expensive piece of jewelry home with a customer without so much as a memo or receipt to keep and “mull things over”; would be beyond the realm of understanding to a western customer. I gave my jeweler a piece of expensive jewelry for repair a month before the pandemic hit, with no paper trail to prove I did so. They repaired it and held on to it faithfully to hand back over to me 1.5 years later (and even in that case, gave it to my mom and not me because they recognised her!) so yes I understand this stuff works on trust.

That being said, giving a customer’s personal information to a complete stranger is beyond ludicrous. That’s something that would not be acceptable no matter how crazy and disorganised a seller’s home market may be. I am willing to concede that Sri Lanka is even worse than India, but I wouldn’t accept this as someone who is used to chaotic practices relying solely on word of mouth and trust.

Is there anything that OP can do? At this point, not really, except for hope and pray that she is refunded her money. For all other potential buyers, I would treat purchases from this seller as a high risk, caveat emptor, “no returns possible ever” situation. In conjunction with the other thread, perhaps it’s “you might not even get the actual stone you ordered, and resolution may or may not be possible.” And imo this is something I’ve never faced as a frequent buyer in Desi markets, and neither has anyone I know. Perhaps the lesson is that “come and conduct your transactions in person, but don’t send your money from overseas because there’s no protection if you do.” Tbh I would never transact with Indian vendors online, only in person.

To the OP, I’m really sorry you’re going through this, and I hope things get resolved ASAP. I’ve crossed all ten fingers and all ten toes for you!!

Module

Shiny_Rock
What an awful experience (so far) and I’m sorry it turned out this way.

I wonder what he’s telling the prospective customers why they should be Zelle-ing money to you instead of him.
lies or truth?
And I can’t imagine that sways an indecisive person to hit that send button.

I’m truly sorry and hope this is resolved for you soon.

i, too, would like to see vendor vs your pics of this stone. Did it ever look remotely like advertised in any lighting?

@AnastasiaBeaverhausen, I'm sorry for your traumatic experience. Just like you, I was encouraged by good reviews on CeylonSapphireGems and took a chance too. I told him I'd like to start with a smaller purchase before making bigger ones, and pulled the trigger on a 2ct-ish tsavorite. He gave me a bank account in US, I didn't think too much, maybe it belongs to a business partner he has in US, who knows. I Zelling the money. The stone is received 10 days later, it looks beautiful and is on its way to AGL to be checked out. Now after reading your story, a few google searches makes me believe that account might belong to @Spring Day. Maybe he is also trying to make reimbursement to her too?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I am truly sorry you are dealing with this. Just…I have no words. I’d expect there to be far fewer “processes” in place, but CeylonSapphireGems has proven that he lies, over and over again.

I have only purchased from 2 Sri Lankan vendors, but one of the them shared that not everyone is trustworthy anymore. While it used to be the kind of community where you could trust someone on their word, that things have changed in recent decades.

I hope @Ionysis is right, and that you get your money back. Fingers crossed you.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I am truly shocked and I'm really sorry you’re going through this.

This probably won’t help but could he PayPal money to you?

From what I’ve experienced with another vendor, PayPal is actually restricted in Sri Lanka. The only time I used it, was when I sent money to an American business partner.

I only mention my experience because this vendor has probably said so many misleading and dishonest things that’s hard to keep track…

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can appreciate the experience wasn’t acceptable for you. So don’t use this kind of vendor in future. Stick to actual companies with customer service staff and western style sales and returns policies.

These guys are single traders who buy directly from the mines. They don’t have staff, they don’t have multiple currency bank accounts in Zurich, they are independent traders.

If you go to Beruwala gem market it seems like insane, terrifying, chaos with scores of people shouting and waving and shoving sapphires at you by the handful. All these guys walking around, no security, nothing, with literally hundreds of thousands of dollars of sapphires in their pockets in little paper packets. To us it would seem crazy. You cannot imagine the difference in buying experience between the NY diamond district or Hatton Garden to that. And it’s the same with buying from an IG direct vendor vs buying from The Natural Sapphire Company or Bloomingdales.

Honestly, I think it’s highly unlikely you will end up out of pocket. I’ve waited a long time and experienced some highly unusual and unorthodox practises in dealing with vendors from India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and other far flung places. But I’ve never not been made whole in the end.

The view of these types of dealers is that as long as you receive what you paid for and / or you eventually get your money back, no harm, no foul and no reason to complain. That’s just how things are viewed there. It’s how they deal with each other.

Will be following with interest to see if my theory, given my own past experiences are proven correct in this circumstance.

Try not to worry too much. Easier said than done I know.

I'm sorry, but your posts about this are very rude. None of what happened here was acceptable (same with the other thread). This vendor is lying over and over again, and you seem to be blaming the victims for expecting too much.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I haven’t said anything rude. Everyone is different and it’s absolutely understandable that this kind of experience is not going to be tolerable for many people. Personally I am used to these kind of dealings - I’ve been buying gens this way for a long time and been though many interesting experiences in the process. I am rather a risk taker and I don’t “gamble” more than I’d be willing to lose. But most people are not like me. And that’s fine. I have the utmost sympathy for Anastasia as I’m sure she is frantic with worry. I was merely trying to reassure her, that in the end she is likely to be made whole. That does not belittle her feelings.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
From what I’ve experienced with another vendor, PayPal is actually restricted in Sri Lanka. The only time I used it, was when I sent money to an American business partner.

I only mention my experience because this vendor has probably said so many misleading and dishonest things that’s hard to keep track…

Why is it restricted and also why is it so difficult to send $ out of Sri Lanka? Out of sheer curiosity I began researching sending money out of SL and read that it requires a permit etc. It sounds so complicated and just wondered what the motivation of this is for?

In any case, as others have mentioned a main problem is the lying. Please don't lie to the client. This vendor needs to have a "no returns" policy if refunding customers is so problematic; that way buyers can be more aware of the risk that they are undertaking.

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
I'm just stunned and feel terrible for you! I have a feeling the vendor will eventually make it right but they have handled this situation so poorly. Giving out your personal information is outrageous! And asking other customers to pay you? WTF!! Incredibly unprofessional.
What's to stop Customer #2 receiving the money just lying and saying they never got money from Customer #1? It's asking for trouble, and you're right. The exchange rates aren't your issue! Argh! So much wrong here..

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Whether you are made whole or not in the end, I cannot imagine how awful and stressful this process has been.

This vendor has proven himself to be a liar and to give out your personal information to strangers? God, I can't even imagine. Im so sorry this happened to you & many others. I think that he simply wrote that he accepts returns to make buyers feel cushy but never assumed that as he grew he'd ever have to do one, which is quite naive and ridiculous.

This vendor also seems lazy in that instead of trying to find the contact information for the correct agencies to make these multiple buyers whole, he puts the responsibility on them, which frankly blows my mind.

I pray that nobody else goes through this in the future, and in the least that you eventually get your money back and fast, as he's already pushed you around enough and shared information that you'd rather keep private.

This vendor has one of the worst practices I've ever heard about.
:naughty:

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
At one point, I was even desperate enough to ask folks on PS to just send the money to me if they're going to buy something from him :lol:

Good luck to you. I also believe you will eventually get your money. Hope it can resolve sooner. Maybe you should start promoting his IG now.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I’m just gonna comment here and there on this thread instead of making my own. @AnastasiaBeaverhausen and I have had very similar experiences, almost identical.

@Module I believe that was me that you zelled. Thank you. I finally got a quarter of the money after over a month of waiting. But there was many before you that was sent all of my private information. I’m going to the bank today to make a brand new account.

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
I feel like he started taking me seriously and attempted to send me money only after I said I was going to post on PS and warn everyone about his business practices. Coincidence? Who knows…

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
OMG. This is awful. I am so sorry to you both. I am hoping and praying you will both get your money back and that your information is not compromised. This is just awful and unacceptable. Thank you for sharing your stories so others will not buy from him.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I’m just gonna comment here and there on this thread instead of making my own. @AnastasiaBeaverhausen and I have had very similar experiences, almost identical.

@Module I believe that was me that you zelled. Thank you. I finally got a quarter of the money after over a month of waiting. But there was many before you that was sent all of my private information. I’m going to the bank today to make a brand new account.

Are you still owed?

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Why is it restricted and also why is it so difficult to send $ out of Sri Lanka? Out of sheer curiosity I began researching sending money out of SL and read that it requires a permit etc. It sounds so complicated and just wondered what the motivation of this is for?

Simple - the Sri Lankan government want wealth to stay in the country. There are many Sri Lankans living overseas with considerable wealth stuck in SL. If they were allowed to remove it, it could collapse the entire banking system. It is strict, there are no easy ways around it (or indeed any ways other than smuggling it out of the country).

Knowing this - why do Sri Lankan vendors offer money back guarantees they cannot legally honour? Unfortunately, the answer is usually greed and dishonesty. They can get a vast amount more from foreign buyers, whom they know expect a money back guarantee to feel confident enough to purchase, and are hoping that they won't ask for a refund. If they do, they generally don't actually have a plan. The only way really is to do it via an associate with links to the US / whichever country they are trying to get the money to. Eg asking a friend in the US to pay from their bank account and they will reimburse them in SL rupees when they're back in SL.

I don't think anyone should be buying internationally from SL unless they are happy to gamble the money and consider it final sale. Buy in person if you're there but I really could not recommend anyone buy internationally.

I am so sorry for those who have lost money due to a vendor lying :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results