shape
carat
color
clarity

Leon Mege owners - did you get a LM box?

Did you get a special Leon Mege box with your LM piece?

• Sure I did! I got a quality box to match the quality product!

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2008 11:38:19 AM
Author: Madam Bijoux
I''m not an LM owner and probably shouldn''t stick my nose into this thread, but I''m indifferent about boxes. I''m more interested in the contents than the packaging.
2.gif
The store where I got my Royal Asscher gave me a hideous box which I threw away. When I got my radiant from T & Co, I told them I didn''t need a box for it. If I ever get anything from LM, he could put it in a paper bag for all I care, as long as I''m satisfied with the item.
Madam, I bet we all were/are. And I never would have said anything about the box, had it not come up. But knowing what his pieces are like, and what he seems to strive for, it DID strike me odd that the box was, what it was. Considering all the options he has, he picked this one (and has a nicer one that mystifies us as to who is worthy to receive it). It''s just kind of like serving caviar on a paper plate.
9.gif

And maybe I''m saying more than I normally would have, because I wasn''t totally satisfied with my item.
2.gif

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/31/2008 9:47:39 AM
Author: CKinNYC
Wow!!! I appear to have opened a whole can of worms!!
19.gif

All your replies are so interesting! Yes, that''s the box that I got - the same as Delster, Jelly and co. And yes, I was expecting something along the lines of the nice branded box that was pictured, with his name on. I''m both surprised and at the same time, I''ll be honest, a little heartened that other people got the same box - I mean, as RLG says, if Crooked''s amazing and super-detailed masterpiece didn''t get a special box, then what hope is there for the rest of us! The reason I say I''m heartened is because, TBH, I was a bit offended to get what I thought of as a second-rate box. I thought he thought of my ring as small fry - and worse, of my fiance and I as second rate customers, not worthy of the box. Granted, we didn''t get our stone thru'' Leon - maybe that''s when you get the box? I remember well that gorgeous emerald three stone ring (the birthday one) that specifically mentioned the box, so maybe if you buy your diamonds thru'' Leon also, you qualify? I don''t know! But the sensitive side of me is at least happy that other people with more ornate creations than mine got the same treatment, so it''s not reflecting badly on me.

TBH, I''m just so SURPRISED that he doesn''t seem to value what his lovely creations come in! He has put so much work into other aspects of his brand - his website, his office (he''s totally created a branded atmosphere there, with the Medieval-style wooden door, quirky, old-world decor and atmosphere), his ornate logo - hey, he sells mugs and pendants of his logo! - but he doesn''t give paying customers their final product in something that completes the cycle. It''s baffling to me!

35.gif
CK

is it not unusual for an artisan to sell mugs with his logo?

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to defend LM, but I wonder if he was out of the better boxes when he used the other ones? I don''t know how long it takes to get boxes ordered and made, but could that have been the issue? If it was, he should have said something.

CKinNYC

Shiny_Rock
True, MadamBijoux - and I also want to clarify, as the thread-starter, that I never intended this at all to turn into a LM-bashing thread. I was just curious as to other people''s experience.

Leon was overall great to work with, and meeting with him in person to design my ring was an absolute pleasure. He is super-knowledgeable, creative and a true craftsman. He delivered the ring exactly when he said he would, just under the amount of $$ he said it would cost, and the ring itself is STUNNING.

I was being over-sensitive to the box, because I thought that everyone else received something else, and I didn''t understand why. Now I know that that''s not the case, I''m concentrating on my lovely ring! True, if I were advising LM on his brand, I''d tell him to either upgrade the boxes or make the reasoning of the cut off b/w fancy/not fancy clearer, but hey, I''m not going to lose sleep over it!

Nor should someone contemplating working with LM not do it because of this thread! Don''t miss out on a gorgeous ring/piece because it may not come in a fancy box... that''s only going to lie empty in your drawer!

Just my two cents!
9.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another possibility: Would the box you get depend on the width of the shank and whether or not the shank has pave' on it?

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2008 11:55:20 AM
Author: Ellen
Madam, I bet we all were/are. And I never would have said anything about the box, had it not come up. But knowing what his pieces are like, and what he seems to strive for, it DID strike me odd that the box was, what it was. Considering all the options he has, he picked this one (and has a nicer one that mystifies us as to who is worthy to receive it). It''s just kind of like serving caviar on a paper plate.
9.gif

And maybe I''m saying more than I normally would have, because I wasn''t totally satisfied with my item.
2.gif
I don''t really have anything to add since i don''t own anything by Mr. Mege but Ellen''s comment made me laugh.
My family is Russian. Fish (smoked, cooked raw) and caviar is very common in my, and my parents home.

There have been times when caviar has been served/eaten off paper plates (when someone was too lazy to do the dishes) and we never thought anything of it lol
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2008 12:55:10 PM
Author: elle_chris

Date: 7/31/2008 11:55:20 AM
Madam, I bet we all were/are. And I never would have said anything about the box, had it not come up. But knowing what his pieces are like, and what he seems to strive for, it DID strike me odd that the box was, what it was. Considering all the options he has, he picked this one (and has a nicer one that mystifies us as to who is worthy to receive it). It's just kind of like serving caviar on a paper plate.
9.gif

And maybe I'm saying more than I normally would have, because I wasn't totally satisfied with my item.
2.gif
I don't really have anything to add since i don't own anything by Mr. Mege but Ellen's comment made me laugh.
My family is Russian. Fish (smoked, cooked raw) and caviar is very common in my, and my parents home.

There have been times when caviar has been served/eaten off paper plates (when someone was too lazy to do the dishes) and we never thought anything of it lol
9.gif
11.gif
Thanks elle.
2.gif

To answer Madam's questions, maybe if the few who got the nice box posted what they got and when, it might help figure out the rhyme or reason..... Just a thought.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2008 1:09:36 PM

11.gif
Thanks elle.
2.gif

To answer Madam''s questions, maybe if the few who got the nice box posted what they got and when, it might help figure out the rhyme or reason..... Just a thought.
I''m wondering if anyone actually received this famous box?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2008 1:16:01 PM

Snooper has. And I wondered if maybe it might be for repeat customers?? (of which she is)

She''s the only one we know of so far.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i am shocked so many of your amazing peices came in plain boxes!!! although, my LM band didn''t get a box at all.... it came in a tiny ziploc baggie!!! i just chalked it up to being from his ''for sale'' section and efficient shipping. damn i''m a fool sometimes... darn right we should all be getting a nice box and here i am not even indignant at a baggie!! oh well...

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2008 1:24:32 PM
Author: rainydaze
i am shocked so many of your amazing peices came in plain boxes!!! although, my LM band didn''t get a box at all.... it came in a tiny ziploc baggie!!! i just chalked it up to being from his ''for sale'' section and efficient shipping. damn i''m a fool sometimes... darn right we should all be getting a nice box and here i am not even indignant at a baggie!! oh well...
6.gif
He didn''t even post it in a box for safekeeping? Thats shocking!

togal

Shiny_Rock
I''m getting a chuckle out of this thread.

There is something really nice, though, about getting the fancy packaging when making a very special and expensive purchase. It''s part of the whole experience. I recently purchased a leather belt from Cartier for my husband, and had the most glorious feeling walking around town with my Cartier bag. Silly, maybe.....but the fancy branded packaging is part of the fun of the purchase.

I wonder if Leon ever reads any of the comments written about him on this forum. Maybe that''s what''s making him so moody.
emsmilep.gif

togal

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/31/2008 1:23:51 PM

Date: 7/31/2008 1:16:01 PM

Snooper has. And I wondered if maybe it might be for repeat customers?? (of which she is)

She''s the only one we know of so far.

Gosh....if that''s the reason -- that the elusive box is only for repeat customers -- that''s pretty sad. It''s sort of like blackmail. Maybe one of the people who received the crappy box should just call him and ask him "why the crappy box?".

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Harriet was a Triple repeat customer for her last ring, and he wouldn''t give her the nicer box.

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t believe the great LM doesn''t earn a good enough living to be able to afford a luxury presentation box with each and every work he creates. Could be he doesn''t even work on the pieces himself -- maybe he sends work over to China since the box says "made in China."

He sounds mentally unbalanced (as many highly talented artists are). But being mentally unbalanced is actually a better statement to make about the man who portrays himself as rude, condescending, and stingy.

I, For one, would never choose him to create a piece for me because I want to feel valued -- and LM obviously doesn''t value his customers or even some of his own work. I''d be afraid that if I commissioned a ring, and then the finished piece was presented in a cheapy China box, I''d always worry that he gave me an inferior ring compared to a piece that he felt deserved the leather LM box!

No, I''d rather give my money to an artisan who is proud of each and every piece, who would work with me over the details that were important to me, who didn''t scream and yell that I was trying to "micromanage" when I mentioned how I want MY ring to look, who provides pictures before actual completion (without charge!) for my final okay, who takes the time to greet me and present his work to me when I pick up and he is in the building (if he truly is the only person working on each and every LM piece, how many people could possibly show up each day to pick up?? It''s not like his work is being interupted every 5 minutes!), and who presents the finished piece in a box bearing his name (after all, a great deal of the cost is for the luxury of owning a branded name piece!).

But, as already pointed out, he is not lacking for customers despite his temperamental reputation. Hopefully people will come to realize that he is not the only person in the whole wide world that can make beautiful jewelry.

Dogmom

Shiny_Rock
*shaking head* Not that I''m in the market for a custom creation, but if I *were* Mark Morrell would be my choice. As far as Leon''s presentation, heck my clearance piece from Pearlmans came in a nice black box! (Faux leather, but nice just the same.)

I can NOT believe he charges for photos
6.gif

clop

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/31/2008 11:38:19 AM
Author: Madam Bijoux
I''m not an LM owner and probably shouldn''t stick my nose into this thread, but I''m indifferent about boxes. I''m more interested in the contents than the packaging.
2.gif
The store where I got my Royal Asscher gave me a hideous box which I threw away. When I got my radiant from T & Co, I told them I didn''t need a box for it. If I ever get anything from LM, he could put it in a paper bag for all I care, as long as I''m satisfied with the item.

I agree wholeheartedly! I will be receiving my band in a month; can''t wait! I could not care less what it comes in, as longs as it arrives in perfect condition. I didn''t choose to work with Leon over his boxes, but for his craftsmanship.

I''ve been lucky to say that I''ve only dealt with his charming alter ego - He''s been nothing but pleasant, friendly, courteous and very patient with me.

I would actually prefer to receive an undescript box, rather than paying more for an elaborate one. (Though I do see how one can justify receiving a nice presentation box given the price of his pieces, I would not want to pay extra for it). I do not keep any boxes (tiffany, lv, misc brands) in general - so maybe I am a bit odd in that aspect.

CK thanks for starting this thread - I too had thought all LM creations came in exquisite boxes.
1.gif
I''ll know what to expect when I open my package. It is unfortunate that some posts have turned quite anti-LM, and are slightly off the topic of boxes.

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
I love talking package design.

I think that it would be possible to do a highly unusual even cardboard type box if it was done in the spirit of being environmentally friendly.

I have seen some materials that are cardboard like but have a sheer vellum like quality (but thicker) that have an amazing transparence when the light hits. It lends a transcendental otherworldly spirit to the design. Think of the slightly sheer paper shopping bags to picture how the light flows through. It can be white or different colors. I don''t think stark blue white is necessarily the best backdrop for diamonds because it shows more warmth than seeing them against black etc. and not everyone likes warmth in diamonds the way I do.

So even cardboard could be gorgeous if purposely environmentally sound and if done well. It could be done minimally or with the addition of skilled graphic design out of environmentally friendly ink, or maybe even embossed.

Think about MUJI the Japanese company with an emphasis on simple minimal packaging, no-brand, and recycling. Their goods are very aesthetically pleasing.

A more permanent box could be made out of deeply pigmented maybe even lacquered bamboo. I would prefer that over leather or if a box was leather I would prefer it to be recycled.

Or it would be amazing if a smaller company used vintage or antique ring boxes to put their product in. That would work best for a very small scale operation, but it would be fabulous to pick a recycled box that matched the individual ring best.

One of the coolest designs I ever heard of was I believe a cell phone cover that dissolves into the soil and contains a sunflower seed-so you plant it when you are done with it.

How amazing would that be for a ring box with a seed for a tree etc.?

If I was doing jewelry design those are the type things I''d do.

Mrs.2Artists

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
I knew someone who was going to have him source a stone for her upgrade, and I want to say she said if she bought the stone directly from him, she would also be getting the leather box. It''s a bit foggy as that was over a year ago.

I''d take the made in china as long as my ring was perfect.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Ditto the perfect ring, but I do draw the line at ziplock baggies. Come on, that is just tacky. Even eBay sellers do better than that.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Wow, no box???

I''m glad I didn''t go with Leon. We contacted him about a new setting and he was prompt to be fair. And the price was reasonable. Almost went with him but then saw all the bad press here & decided against it. I am glad because I do not want something so special to be stressful. And I guess I''m thankful because the search led me to Mark T. at ERD!

Leon''s work is amazing, though.
30.gif
I always love looking at it!

clop

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/31/2008 4:31:13 PM
Author: 2Artists
I love talking package design.

I think that it would be possible to do a highly unusual even cardboard type box if it was done in the spirit of being environmentally friendly.

I have seen some materials that are cardboard like but have a sheer vellum like quality (but thicker) that have an amazing transparence when the light hits. It lends a transcendental otherworldly spirit to the design. Think of the slightly sheer paper shopping bags to picture how the light flows through. It can be white or different colors. I don''t think stark blue white is necessarily the best backdrop for diamonds because it shows more warmth than seeing them against black etc. and not everyone likes warmth in diamonds the way I do.

So even cardboard could be gorgeous if purposely environmentally sound and if done well. It could be done minimally or with the addition of skilled graphic design out of environmentally friendly ink, or maybe even embossed.

Think about MUJI the Japanese company with an emphasis on simple minimal packaging, no-brand, and recycling. Their goods are very aesthetically pleasing.

A more permanent box could be made out of deeply pigmented maybe even lacquered bamboo. I would prefer that over leather or if a box was leather I would prefer it to be recycled.

Or it would be amazing if a smaller company used vintage or antique ring boxes to put their product in. That would work best for a very small scale operation, but it would be fabulous to pick a recycled box that matched the individual ring best.

One of the coolest designs I ever heard of was I believe a cell phone cover that dissolves into the soil and contains a sunflower seed-so you plant it when you are done with it.

How amazing would that be for a ring box with a seed for a tree etc.?

If I was doing jewelry design those are the type things I''d do.

Mrs.2Artists

Ditto! I really like the "cardboard like...sheer vellum" material, and really fancy MUJI. I wish they had a store in my area. lol though I seldom keep boxes, maybe it''s because I''m very particular about them. Mrs.2Artists I would LOVE any jewelry boxes you dream up! Maybe you could offer your package design services to LM
17.gif

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
who has the red (looks liike laquered) box? i have never delt with this character, but i have to chime in and say that i am sure that the profits that are made surely could pay for a better box. perhaps he should see a pic of his cheepo box next to a better box and how it makes the presentation different. uurrrggghhh. some people just dont get it.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2008 5:45:40 PM
Author: Snooper

I''d take the made in china as long as my ring was perfect.

ditto!

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
AWWWWW Thanks clop!
1.gif
!

MUJI is divine isn''t it!
21.gif

Mrs.2Artists

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2008 9:19:30 PM
Author: coatimundi
bandit.gif
LOL!!!! Too funny coati!

MikeRato1

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/31/2008 1:24:32 PM
Author: rainydaze
please tell me your kidding?!?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2008 9:19:30 PM
Author: coatimundi
bandit.gif
lol.gif

Good to see you, and the bunny Coati!
9.gif

rainydaze, unreal.

pp, good point, I forgot about Harriet. Scratch that idea!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results