shape
carat
color
clarity

Ladies, How many times have you upgraded your E-ring?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Started with my deceased mother's .24 G VS2. It ultimately went into a pair of earrings I had made for my sister's daughter.

DKJPV_0514_STEAR-1.jpg

Went to a three stone - same .24 with 10 point sides.

Moved to a .64 OEC, set in a cluster of roughly 20 point sides.

Wendy Pics 103s.jpg

At this point I started my ideal-cut-with-better-stats journey....

.83 F SI1 set in a three stone with .46 and .47 sides. All super-ideal stats. This was a small-ish but gorgeous ring.

MB's 3 stone - .83 center.jpg

Then 2.35 H SI1 from GOG - not ideal cut -

IMG_0409b.JPG

Recut into an Ascendancy cut 2.15ct H SI1 by GOG -

H SI1.JPG

Set into a GOG 3 stone with 2 x .72ct sides -

GOG 3-stone.jpeg

Traded up then to a 3.11 K SI1 AVR -

IMG_2326.JPG

Then jumped to a 3.61 I VS2 solitaire -

IMG_2500.JPG

From there to an H VS1 3.4ct ACA - which is where I should have stayed, frankly -

DKJPV_MSC-3-2.jpg

Then flipped to this - 4.01 I VS1 ACA in a halo (what was I thinking?) -

20180831_114022.jpg

And now to *this* - 3.05 F VS2 with 2 x .6 F VS1 ACAs -

20200215_144139.jpg

I loved all the later iterations of my rings, from my first, small, ideal cut 3-stone onwards. The only one I didn't like was the halo - just not me at all. I loved all the solitaires, the three stones (obviously!) - but perhaps my favorite ring was my Merry ring - with the 3.4ct ACA center. That was a stunning ring and I'd love to recreate it, it I could - maybe with a colored center....

Actually, now that I think of it, my opal ring is based on Merry, and I love that ring. It's one of those things I'd save in a fire:

20180705_190413_resized.jpg

I think this means I have the most upgrades so far. Do I get a set of steak knives for this?

Last edited:

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
Traded up then to a 3.11 K SI1 AVR -

IMG_2326.JPG

And now to *this* - 3.05 F VS2 with 2 x .6 F VS1 ACAs -

20200215_144139.jpg

Your current ring is one of my favorites on here, but I really love the yellow gold setting on the 3.11 K! Beautiful collection over time!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I (so far) only "upgraded" once. I am not sentimental AT ALL. I've even been described as cold. I just dont get attached to 'things', probably why I so easily donated my kidney last month :lol: I'm keeping the MAN, so thats something!

I don't even know if it's really an "upgrade", but i originally WANTED moissanite. I am guessing my previous diamonds didn't perform well because they didnt sparkle enough, so i read all about moissy and it sounded great, EXTRA sparkle for less money! So I wanted moissanite for sparkle, and if it truly looked exactly the same who wouldnt like to save money?!

At first I did love it, but over time i realized the occasional times it looked like plastic really bothered me. I also have to admit I fell a little bit for "we have the money, i DESERVE a REAL diamond" I get how moissy can be great for couples without the cash because they're just starting out or have moral/ethical objections to diamonds (I have no such objections because I wanted and purchased an antique diamond) but I'm in my 40s and established, I decided I wanted a real diamond.

Then there was the issue with my setting that I have mentioned here before, the ring he proposed with was wrong, so we sent it back, so the 'original' ring was gone anyway. It came back and it was still not what i wanted (not wrong per se, but not what I really wanted) so I basically decided to do it all over, get the diamond and re-do the setting.

My fiance is ok with it, he's actually really sentimental but he was OK with the change, because it's not the original he proposed with no matter what. Eventually I would like 3.5 carats and I have another design in my head, but that will wait for 10 years or something, i love what I have and I won't trade it, i might just add another ring at some point.

Last edited:

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Did you upgraded the cut quality? weight? color? clarity?.
Is your husband tire of hearing about you upgrading this and that? :lol:

What are you up to next ?

Started with 0.63 uncertified I SI1 pretty decent stone. Made it into a necklace per my husband’s suggestion. I wear it every.single. Day.

Bought a 1.37 I VS2 premium select from Whiteflash.

Upgraded to 1.87 J VS2 expert selection.

Upgraded to H VS2 1.86 ACA.

Hoping to upgrade again soon. Almost did in October but decided to wait. Nothing has come up again. Debating if I should just wait until oct 2021 for my 30th anniversary and just go for a 3 ct ACA. I thought a 2.25 would be more than big enough for me and would never think of going any bigger but now.... I’m loving the thought of 30= 3 carats ;-).

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Are we counting e-rings from previous proposals? Here are mine:

MRB .89 D VVS1 XXX
I had a long term boyfriend who proposed with a .89 D VVS1 XXX I wore his ring for several years. We eventually split up amicably and I gave him the ring back, and he traded it in for a new ring to propose to his new girlfriend. That sounds weird, but it really wasn't. We were very good friends for years but there just wasn't the right romantic spark between us to take the relationship to marriage. And I really liked his new girlfriend, so everyone was totally okay with him trading in the ring to buy her one.

MRB 1.89 F VS1 000
This one was from my ex-husband. He was not a nice man. I should have realized that when we were dating when he berated me (using words I'd never heard anyone say out loud in public before) for losing one of the diamond stud earrings he had given me (it fell out of my ear at work). Thankfully we were only married for a few months.

Oval 1.01 F VS1
This one was from my amazing husband, love of my life! It was lovely, and I'll never forget his proposal. He even asked my parents ahead of time (unbeknownst to me.) However, to be completely honest, I was never into the ring. I just wasn't into ovals, though it was a gorgeous diamond, sparkled like crazy, zero bow tie, etc. Many years went by before I felt comfortable to gently tell him that my heart wanted a round for our 15th anniversary. I wore that oval diamond for 14 years!

CBI 2.56 D VS1 -- "Dainty"
My first super ideal! Seeing super ideals in person blew me away. I'm completely sold on them. This was supposed to be for our 15th anniversary, but hubby couldn't wait and we did it for our 14th anniversary! I was away in France working last summer and he brought it to me and re-proposed to me next to this beautiful, crumbling 11th Century cathedral. It was magical! I love him, and I love this new ring! I think this second proposal was even more magical than the first one. He's my hero!

What's next? I don't know. I might eventually add side diamonds to my ring. I do like the look of three stone rings in a 1-2-1 size ratio. There's something balanced and pleasing about them to my eye. So maybe Dainty will get sisters one day?

Cheers!

IMG_9848.jpg

IMG_9652!!.jpg

Last edited:

MelloYello8

Shiny_Rock
No upgrades in the ~13 years I’ve been wearing my e-ring, and every time I try to talk myself into one, maybe for a milestone anniversary, I can’t fathom anything bigger or shinier being any more flattering on my finger. It’s a .44 early uncertified “sky blue” Chatham lab diamond set in unplated recycled palladium white gold. The technology has gotten so much better so I’ve gotten additional lab diamonds for other rings, just not as e-ring replacements. Somehow this one makes me feel twenty-something again. DB6C9C68-6AFF-4F01-8013-9E88D7E75E0C.jpeg

Last edited:

Lalola44

Rough_Rock
I love this thread, it makes me feel so much better about how often rings cross my mind. I was never even that into jewelry until I got engaged but seeing an engagement ring on my finger daily has changed my perspective a bit.

1. 1.15ct I VS2 lab Emerald Cut -
my original e-ring set in white gold, it was super delicate and definitely gorgeous considering that my fiance was was still in grad school at the time but we always knew we'd like to upgrade eventually.

1.5. 2.84ct equivalent AVEC moissy- I call this one upgrade 1 and a half because I never wore it much. I caught the sparkle bug BAD and tried to convince myself I wouldn't mind a moissanite but as beautiful as it was it just didn't do it for me. Luckily I was able to sell it to a lovely diamond bistro member last week and will be putting the $$ to a special gift for my mom! So all's well that ends well on that front

2. 3.01ct F SI1 Cushion- The best anniversary/early wedding gift ever from my fiance! I haven't had it set yet but I'll likely be doing a Harry Winston setting with petite baguettes, my absolute dream ring to end all dream rings. I'll be sure to post pictures when it's complete, which probably won't be until this summer with all the craziness going on right now. But I'm patient, just so thankful and excited. As long as it's ready for our wedding it's all good=)2

I hope everybody's staying safe and healthy, this forum is just about the best distraction ever right about now!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF, you've gotta start a thread asking, Ladies, How many times have you upgraded your husband?

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Coming up to our 20th anniversary the setting on my 1/2ct nice but mall store engagement ring was completely worn out. The diamond was loose, I couldn't wear it. It was DH's idea to upgrade as we had paid off our house and the kids hadn't started college yet. He was thinking we could trade in the original but when it came time I couldn't do it. So it was set into a pendant that he designed and I wear it every day.
My new ring was a 1.5 ct RB in a wide band with three rows of accent diamonds. I wanted one substantial wedding ring instead of and engagement and a wedding band. We had it custom made by a local jeweler and DH knew when we picked it up that I wasn't truly happy with how it had turned out. The details were lacking, the accent diamonds were too small and it was set too high. I didn't really know enough about the process to get what I wanted.

A some point in that time frame I joined this forum and started learning a lot. Not wanting to make another ring that wasn't right for me I waited, discovered that I really don't like RB's but prefer step cuts and antique cuts. Then there was a move, a couple kids in college and plans for an eventual redo on my ring. That happened 2 years ago. It took me a while to hone in what I wanted and I'm glad I waited. My ring now & hopefully forever is a 1.5ct EC, set east-west with a halo of baguettes. It's sleek and modern and DH has no idea why I like it more than a sparkle bomb RB but it gets a lot of attention so he believes me when I say it's really nice. :cool2: I have a baguette band that I sometimes wear with it or alone when my ring is just too much. I have no plans for an upgrade but have added several other meaningful pieces to a growing collection of special and sparkling things.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
No upgrades but had 3 proposals like @RunningwithScissors.

No judgement please. :oops:

.75 MRB J color. I loved the setting. It had two smaller rounds followed by tapered baguettes. The stone had SBF. One day I had an accident with my hand (closet door slammed on it) and center stone popped out. Since it was a platinum band it was overall in good shape considering. My hand was not. :/
My then sweet x fiancé took it back to the jeweler to fix. We of course found the center stone. To this day I swear the jeweler changed the stone. It came back looking like VSBF and very milky and cloudy. It was awful. Long story short we eventually parted ways.

2nd proposal (marriage): 3 carat I color cushion SI2. Huge and beautiful. Funny thing is this stone looked more oval and did not have ideal specs. Even had a noticeable bow tie. However, due to its size this stone received the most compliments. It was in a thin pave platinum band and the center stone was the main attraction.
I sold that ring after marriage ended.

Currently engaged with a 1.02 K MRB XXX. This stone has the best specs out of all three and I love the simplicity of it.

Some day I’d love something bigger. Especially after wearing 3 carats for so many years. My fiancé is attached to my current ring and I am also happy with it so no rush.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These stories are fun to read! I already commented that I wear my original ER (married 25 years), but having lost my WB I’ve been gifted/collected MANY over the years. I have my moms 2.5 ctw in a 3 stone my DH gave me for our 20th.
A new point a want to make is that my ER is gold. When I joined PS so many ppl didn’t like YG (if you haven’t been on here for years you might not remember the big aversion to YG rings). I like white metals too, but I always thought the YG looked nice even with my WG tennis bracelet & watch.
It’s just SO FUN for me to see ppl loving on these YG sets!!!!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not very proud about this but i upgraded my ER twice, before even getting married and i continued after the wedding!!!

1. ORIGINAL ER: My now husband had repeatedly heard me discussing how much i loved pink sapphires, so when the moment came for him to propose, he went to BIRKS in Toronto and asked to see pink sapphire rings. He paid a fortune for a ring that was not worth so much money. The pink sapphire center stone was not of high clarity and it looked hazy. The six diamond side stones looked very sparkly and were of high clarity but they couldn't save the ring's overall appearence.

bubblegum ring.jpg ring 1.jpg three stone ring.jpg solitaire ring.jpg
2. UPGRADE 1: Even though i loved my original ER due to the huge sentimental value that it had for me, i was not happy with it and my then fiance, now DH, understood that without me even discussing the issue. He told me that he would be very happy to have me keep my original ER and wear it as a RHR and get me another ring, a diamond solitaire, to wear as an ER. After some research, i ended up getting a 0.50ct, IF, D, VG cut diamond, set in 18kt white gold. I don't have any good photos of that ring but i will post one anyway!

3. UPGRADE 2: After that first upgrade, i discovered PS and i realized that VG cut was not acceptable! So again with my fiance's consent and approval, i traded in my 0.50ct diamond for a 0.90 E color, VVS2 clarity, 3Ex - H&A diamond, set on a WG setting, very similar to the previous one.
I should note that after the wedding, i had that diamond reset in a three stone custom made setting, which i still have and love wearing!

4. UPGRADE 3: A few years after all of the above, i fell in love with a 1.14ct, J, SI2, 3Ex diamond, which mesmerizes me every time i look at it! So i bough that diamond for myself and had it set in a solitaire setting identical to the one that my 0.90 xt diamond was set, before being reset in the three stone setting!

After this very long journey, i am happy to say that i currently have 3 engagement rings between which i alternate and i love each and every one of them for different reasons! DH doesn't want ot hear anything about yet another upgrade and for the time being he is safe but i can't give any guarantees about the future!!!

ETA: I'm sorry but i don't know why the photos were attached at random places inside my post!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not very proud about this but i upgraded my ER twice, before even getting married and i continued after the wedding!!!

Screw shame and guilt!
They are poison invented to suppress and control you.

Don't apologize.
Instead embrace and fully enjoy your choices in life. :dance:

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screw shame and guilt!
They are poison invented to suppress and control you.

Don't apologize.
Instead embrace and fully enjoy your choices in life. :dance:

Yes my dear @kenny !!! You are absolutely right !!!
I guess, sometimes it's the other people that make me feel guilty for all my rings and upgrades. I have friends who still don't own a diamond ring until today, after having been married for many years, even though they are affluent, so i sense their disapproval about all those upgrades and diamond rings purchases. I guess, either them or their spouses cannot justify such a purchase, when the money can be spent on other items, which have more "practical" use and value. That also has to do with the fact that in Europe (where we live) diamond engagement rings are not as popular and common as they are in North America and other areas of the world. So people don't feel that they have to buy a diamond ring in order to get engaged. Instead, they use simple gold bands, in yellow or white gold (which are also used for the wedding ceremony afterwards), and they also sometimes offer other gold jewelry as an engagement gift. Both my husband and i are Canadians, my husband of Lebanese descent and myself of Greek descent. In both our countries of origin, diamond engagement rings are not the norm. Nevertheless, during the last twenty years they are becoming very popular and nowadays i see many ladies wearing them proudly and showing them off!
So, i can understand why people might think that it is scandalous to own not one but three engagement rings in these parts of the world! Nevertheless, these rings have brought a lot of joy and satisfaction to me with their beauty, sparkle and sentimental value and significance and they are to me and my husband of "high practical use and value". They symbolize our love, commitment and marriage and they make me happy with their beauty every time i look at my hand. So, yes, you are absolutely right, "screw shame and guilt and fully enjoy your choices in life"!!!:wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What others do, want, or like is irrelevant to your life.
Trying to be similar to others is a minefield.

People just vary.
Let them be them, and let yourself be you. :dance:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would probably win the prize here! I have had 9 diamonds over what will be 43 years in May!

I went from a .78 to a 1.00 to a 1.50 to a 1.82 to a 2.01 to a 2.03 to a 2.22 to a 2.19 (my first ACA!) to a 2.53 ACA. The first certified stone wasn't until the 2.03, the 2.22 to was an AGS0 stone onto the ACA's. As I have said many times before, the internet nor ideal cut diamonds were available in the early days. Always looking for that elusive sparkle and finally started finding it with the 2.22 diamond. If I were starting out today, it is doubtful that there would have been that many trades or that I would have landed on a 2.53 diamond. I would have probably found my holy grail diamond after a couple of trades at a much smaller size due to having found these sparkly, luscious ideal cut diamonds. However, my journey was what it was and I am happy to have landed where I did!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, I might have been eclipsed by mrs-b in the upgrade department - lol!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess, sometimes it's the other people that make me feel guilty for all my rings and upgrades.
My hot looking attorney deserves whatever her little heart desires...:clap:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 6.13.17 PM.png

"Your hot-looking attorney"? :eek-2:
Did you really post that?

DF, does your wife read PS?
If so, you have 12 minutes to edit your post ........ and you owe me a beer, dude. ;))

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My dear @Dancing Fire, my heart also desires a 4ct ACA but it's not happening any time soon!!!!! At least, as @kenny suggested, my heart should enjoy without any guilt what I already have!!!!!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 6.13.17 PM.png

"Your hot-looking attorney"? :eek-2:
Did you really post that?

DF, does your wife read PS?
If so, you have 12 minutes to edit your post ........ and you owe me a beer, dude. ;))

He really posted that and I'm grateful that he did, because I'm locked in the house, not much work, exercise or other usual activities and I keep eating bad stuff and feeling terrible about myself! So he just managed to raise my spirits and for that he deserves a praise and not a scolding @kenny :wavey:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dear @Dancing Fire, my heart also desires a 4ct ACA but it's not happening any time soon!!!!! At least, as @kenny suggested, my heart should enjoy without any guilt what I already have!!!!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... So he just managed to raise my spirits and for that he deserves a praise and not a scolding @kenny :wavey:

Oh please, please, I beg you, scold me, spank me, whip me, and beat me. :Up_to_something::Up_to_something::Up_to_something:

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh please, please, I beg you, scold me, spank me, whip me, and beat me. :Up_to_something::Up_to_something::Up_to_something:

It seems that there is something about social distancing, that makes our PS guys get totally out of control !!! ;))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems that there is something about social distancing, that makes our PS guys get totally out of control !!! ;))

Then, Glob bless our men. :clap:

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
No upgrades for me, just more engagement looking rings that I have collected over the years. I started with 2.08 D SI1 round (my real and first engagement ring) then 3 carat emerald cut J VS2 (which I sold) to buy 5.06 L cushion, then we bought 4.5L emerald cut, and I am waiting for 3 carat M color antique pear that is getting done. In between I got a cute marquise .8 F SI1 to wear for fun. I started with a gia colorless stone and I find myself down in color and expand in different shapes. All GIA and it has been a fun journey. I posted my 4.5L emerald cut on earlier post.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Hello, ive already posted on this thread, but since while cleaning out my closet i found a picture of my original ring, i figured id post again with photos and stats of my rings.
1st ring:
20200328_193154.jpg
It was a 1.02 ct. of questionable cut, color, and clarity. Bought at one of the big diamond marts with the word "exchange" in the name. Never really loved it, but i had it for about 7 years.

2nd ring:
IMG_20160930_125530055.jpg
This was a 1.08 ct. H color, vs2, very good cut. It was extremely spready, which made it almost .6mm bigger than the 1.02, which was a deep cut. Still, this diamond looked horrible in some lighting.

Now..
20200324_214856.jpg

This is my 1.5 ct, I color, VS1, TRIPLE X cut, purchased bc specs are pricescope approved. Its still not perfection, and I'm not sure if I'm "done". Lately I have really been looking at ACAs in the near 2 carat range. The prices are really competitive on those!! Well, only time will tell if I actually get there...
:think:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results