shape
carat
color
clarity

Ladies, How many times have you upgraded your E-ring?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
i just realised that i have never been proposed to, so technically, i have no E ring. I proposed to him coming up to 11yrs ago......still havent tied the knot- yanno... laws took awhile to change and now we have 4 kiddos.. wedding is probably not gunna happen anytime soon. But i do have rings which i have bought subsequently to the engagement. And, with those rings, as mentioned- havent upgraded.. just lots of options.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Dancing Fire Since yours is not formally an engagement ring, you got me wondering if other rings are ever upgraded [well, yes, not many opportunities to trade in other stones, but still, it does happen]

thinkingg out loud

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@gregchang35 Congratulatiosn for the family! FOUR is a great number .-)

I cannot know how you feel about having a wedding, but it does sound like you have more than most to celebrate [even just considering your latest post, which is all I know]; it is what you make it.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Hi @AV_ Thanx so much. Yes we def have a lot to celebrate as is. As for a wedding... it’s soemthing thst is nice to have, but practically and financially, not sure if it will happen....besides, I like bling too much now to try and save for a wedding! Lololol....

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ain't no lady, and I ain't never had an engagement ring.
That said, I love diamonds and one could say that I have upgraded mine four times.

First was a used $75 diamond ring from a pawn shop c. 1976. No grading report, maybe 0.25, J SI2. - still have it
Then 0.83 Solasfera round, GIA F VS1 - still have it
Then 0.82 ACA round, AGS E VVS1 - still have it
Then 2.26 generic Asscher GIA F VS1 - sold it at a huge profit - just lucky good timing
Finally my beloved 1.51 Octavia Asscher AGS G VS2 - a treasure I'll take to my grave or the crematorium ... I know I know it'll be stolen by an employee.

For me the forth time is the charm.

Last edited:

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Never! Actually returned it to the jeweler because it was just too big.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Technically two. The first upgrade of my then 3 stone, I swapped the diamond out for ACAs of the same size, but far superior in cut and clarity. The second time around I added in 2 more ACAs and reset into a 5 stone, and changed it from yellow gold to rose.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I ain't no lady, and I ain't never had an engagement ring.
That said, I love diamonds and one could say that I have upgraded mine four times.

First was a used $75 diamond ring from a pawn shop c. 1976. No grading report, maybe 0.25, J SI2. - still have it
Then 0.83 Solasfera round, GIA F VS1 - still have it
Then 0.82 ACA round, AGS E VVS1 - still have it
Then 2.26 generic Asscher GIA F VS1 - sold it at a huge profit - just lucky good timing
Finally my beloved 1.51 Octavia Asscher AGS G VS2 - a treasure I'll take to my grave or the crematorium ... I know I know it'll be stolen by an employee.

@kenny could you bequeath your FCD collection to me???? pretty pls... i could be your love child that you never knew... and, i promise you i will adore them (and i think you know i will) and, I could potentially set them into something lavish!!!!!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Omg...
1. Proposal was with 1.01ct marquise D, SI1 of beautiful proportions. Mounting with accent marquises in yellow gold but was mass produced, cheaply made.

2. Swapped original mounting for custom mounting white gold with side baguettes and baguette band. Wasn’t made quite to my vision. Don’t like the feeling of wearing 2 rings.

3. Traded marquise for 1.51ct round G, VS2 or H, SI1 (don’t recall). I believe my greatest regret in life, trading the marquise away :(2

3. Moved that round to new custom mounting platinum 3-stone with .75ct rounds flanking each side of the 1.51 round. That was a great ring for me, but...

4. Had bigger is better fever & traded the entire 3 stone ring for a 3.29ct round I, SI2 in platinum solitaire mounting. The diamond was bounced around in a few attempts of solitaires because either didn’t fit well or set too high or cheaply done. Finally got good quality platinum one with matching plain band made to sit well together.

5. Felt the diamond needed “something” so swapped solitaire and band for 3 stone with trillion sides.

6. Got halo fever and pave’ fever and scrollwork fever and hand engraving fever and swapped the trillion 3 stone for embellished Beverley K platinum halo with all the bells and whistles. Shank was too narrow to support the large stone + halo, extremely uncomfortable and impractical. Impossible to wear. Jeweler made modifications to mounting but it ruined the look and I hated it. Fit better but size was 1/4 size too large, extremely bulky and too heavy on my finger, painful.

7. Hated the diamond (super ugly, bad proportions, black eye-visible inclusions, too much tint for me) practically from day one but sucked it up for like 15 years. Finally couldn’t take it anymore. Also wasn’t comfortable with that size diamond anymore (& halo made it even worse). Wanted to downgrade in size and upgrade in color and have eye clean and better cut. Jeweler said I wouldn't be happy with smaller stone and suggested recut. Decided to do that through my jeweler’s preferred cutter with plan to set it in plain setting to fit me better, be more comfortable, user friendly and get white gold since lighter weight.

8. Recut came back, some improvement but everything I hated about it was all I could see.

9. Decided if I was going to get new mounting anyhow, might as well trade in the diamond for something smaller of finer quality (like my original marquise). That’s when I got current diamond, GIA 3X 2.01ct E, SI2 but nothing like my previous SI2... completely eye clean... feather needle natural, all in crown, but grade-setter is a larger (colorless) crystal on table. HCA 1.6 with Excellent in 1st 3 categories but a little deeper cut so not PS quality but night and day improvement over previous stone so success there and love the small 55 table and higher 16 crown. I know not approved here but I love the profile. And my Cliq mounting is the best fitting most comfortable and user friendly I’ve ever had. The bright white gold is beautiful and fluid/seamless look with the E color stone. Not happy about getting 3x only to find out 3x isn’t what one thinks it means, disappointed and angry with jeweler. Did see small area of leakage on in-store ASET but jeweler felt these were nano metrics that would not make significant difference. In fairness I have to say the runner up with perfect ASET G color was just slightly better as compared in various lighting situations (didn’t go with that one because visual between that G and E was clearly evident).

10. As an additional diamond to wear, I will be receiving my BGD recut of my inheritance diamond 2.31ct VVS1, H, AGS000 branded Signature H & A next week! Had it set in same mounting from Cliq as my 2.01. Was supposed to be sent out yesterday but won’t be in town to receive so postponed shipping until next week. Will post glamour shots as soon as I get them.

Yes, it’s been a journey and my husband is a saint. While I’m not happy about what I learned about my 3x, it’s still way better than what I had. I thought I did so many resets on the 3.29 because it needed “something”, but in retrospect it wasn’t the mounting, it was the diamond! My current stands alone in its solitaire mounting very nicely so it can’t be that bad. I do get many compliments which my husband reminds me of when I get in a mood over it and get all worked up about the jeweler.

While the above is absolute insanity, this wasn’t all in a short period of time; I’ve been married 30 years... but nonetheless it’s still insanity! Thanks for reading!

karylicious

Shiny_Rock
3’s a charm for me:)
My mom has my first ring,
Still have my second and now my third and last:)

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve upgraded once but have several other rings that I have purchased since. 3 of which would be considered engagement ring type rings. We didn’t have much money when we were first married so we used a white sapphire. My husband purchased it knowing he would switch it out with a diamond as soon as we could afford it.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just once. Engaged with a round 0.98 carat H Si2 Leo diamond from Jared, prior to knowing much about diamonds. Ten months after wedding, purchased a 1.808 H Si1 AGS 0.

Of course, this isn’t counting the many, many resets! And other rings I purchased/returned.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I am done with my last upgrade ever.Started with a .79 pear... upgraded to a 1.89 princess and finally stopped with my 4.0 Asscher.....it’s a keeper! 0DE47BC4-C45B-44F6-AB74-C6ED9F078E91.jpeg
Oooooooh my goodness! :love:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven’t upgraded and won’t be - married 25 yrs. I do have a ton of bands I switch up and a 3 stone he gave me for our 20th, using my mom’s diamond.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Just once. Engaged with a round 0.98 carat H Si2 Leo diamond from Jared, prior to knowing much about diamonds. Ten months after wedding, purchased a 1.808 H Si1 AGS 0.

Of course, this isn’t counting the many, many resets! And other rings I purchased/returned.
I thought the Leo’s are supposed to be good... no?

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
Orginial round, to oval then to a junk round, which I sold.
My husband rolls his eyes anytime I mention a diamond.
He is okay with me getting what I want once I finally figure it out.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My original diamond was a .80 maquise, F, VVS2. When I took it in to be sized, my center stone was switched. That started the first of 3 upgrades for that ring. 1) I got a MRB with beautiful proportions, 1.51cts, E, VS1, with a new setting. I actually really loved that stone, although it could have used a bit more fire. My husband decided I needed an upgrade a few years later. 2) 2.00ct, MRB, D, VS2, with the same setting. Not sure why I bought it. It just wasn't my stone. I think it was cut too deep, and had flouro, which I didn't like with the D. 3) Belle, my 1.77ct MRB, D, VVS2, with great proportions, and a new setting. She still makes my heart skip a beat.

My husband also got me a 3 stone emerald cut ring that I loved, but didn't like the clarity characteristics in some of the diamonds. They were G, VS2 and SI1, .80 center, 40 sides. So, I upgraded the the worst of the sides to F, VS1. Then I upgraded the center to 1.05, D, VS1. The second side is ok for now.

I'm planning on getting another, larger emerald cut down the road, but I don't think I will trade in the other EC. I just need to hit the lottery.

And yes, my husband is a saint.:lol:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Twice so far on my e-ring, working on 20 year upgrade this year!

0.81 ct F SI1 RB (Original E-ring)
1.23 ct E VS2 Princess
1.81 ct H SI1 RB (10 year upgrade)
2.81 ct (hoping to get something custom cut at this exact weight! adding 1.0 ct per decade!)

I've also purchased the following "wedding" bands to match said e-rings above:

2 mm plain Platinum band
2.5 mm alternating princess cut and rb band .51tcw
0.71ct rb 7 stone shared-prong band

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Twice so far on my e-ring, working on 20 year upgrade this year!

0.81 ct F SI1 RB (Original E-ring)
1.23 ct E VS2 Princess
1.81 ct H SI1 RB (10 year upgrade)
2.81 ct (hoping to get something custom cut at this exact weight! adding 1.0 ct per decade!)
Soooo, we should expect to see a 5.81ct on your 50th?

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
This is a great thread! My husband proposed to me with a beautiful 6 prong 1.33 Gvs2 RB very good cut. I couldn't get over the Very Good cut when I knew there was Excellent. So he proposed on a Sunday and it was returned that Saturday. He wanted me to be happy. The setting was also uncomfortable. I was thrilled he was ok with returning. It really was the thought that he shopped and proposed to me as what really mattered.
So in that week we found Todd Grey diamond concierge and BG and I now have my dream 1.17 G RB and matching band. And of coarse I'm planning an upsize! We just got married this past December. 20200216_154313.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a great thread! My husband proposed to me with a beautiful 6 prong 1.33 Gvs2 RB very good cut. I couldn't get over the Very Good cut when I knew there was Excellent. So he proposed on a Sunday and it was returned that Saturday. He wanted me to be happy. The setting was also uncomfortable. I was thrilled he was ok with returning. It really was the thought that he shopped and proposed to me as what really mattered.
So in that week we found Todd Grey diamond concierge and BG and I now have my dream 1.17 G RB and matching band. And of coarse I'm planning an upsize! We just got married this past December. 20200216_154313.jpg

STUNNING. And also a perfect example of a great marriage. There is no right or wrong re the ring. The fact that your DH took his ego out of the equation and just wanted you to be happy says it all. That is the true gem. Your relationship and your dh and the love you share. Nothing is more sparkly and gorgeous and breathtaking than that. But of course the ring is the icing on the cake to be sure. Gorgeous marriage, gorgeous couple and gorgeous ring. :love:

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
STUNNING. And also a perfect example of a great marriage. There is no right or wrong re the ring. The fact that your DH took his ego out of the equation and just wanted you to be happy says it all. That is the true gem. Your relationship and your dh and the love you share. Nothing is more sparkly and gorgeous and breathtaking than that. But of course the ring is the icing on the cake to be sure. Gorgeous marriage, gorgeous couple and gorgeous ring. :love:

@missy You are just the sweetest most kind person ever Missy! I've been beaming since you wrote this yesterday. I shall share this with my hubby tonight. And you're totally right, the true gem is our love for each other. I am very grateful to have a man who loves me everyday. The diamonds are just the icing on the cake! And we love our diamonds and I've turned him into a diamond lover too!!! He gets just as excited as I am! I hope we have a long happy marriage just like you and your hubby. Hugs to you Missy! :kiss2: :appl::love:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very kind and thoughtful of your hubby to happily agree to return the ring. For some silly reason I was too nervous to speak up and so, while I did not like my original e-ring, I was stuck with it because the 30 day window passed. I am glad you said something and got what truly makes you smile! Your rings are gorgeous!!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought the Leo’s are supposed to be good... no?

@headlight they are hit or miss. And of course IGI grading so color and clarity are probably overinflated. Mine had odd proportions (something nuts like crown 36.7, pavilion 40.3, table 54, depth 63.9). It actually was a really sparkly stone, and I was able to sell it to someone who enjoys it. :)

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Very kind and thoughtful of your hubby to happily agree to return the ring. For some silly reason I was too nervous to speak up and so, while I did not like my original e-ring, I was stuck with it because the 30 day window passed. I am glad you said something and got what truly makes you smile! Your rings are gorgeous!!

This is actually my second marriage. And my hubby knew I was never happy with my e-ring from my first marriage 20 years ago. So, he REALLY wanted to get it right! He got really close with what he chose and I agonized for days if I should tell him. On day 3 of the engagement, he asked me how do you like it and how does it feel and I told him then. He returned it on Saturday. Then we had about 3 months of me wearing my grandmother's ring as my engagement ring while we were waiting for rings from BG to arrive. I found PS about a month after my engagement and found all of you great people! I thought I was alone in my jewelry obssession. :lol: I'm certainly not!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results