shape
carat
color
clarity

J Color Stones in Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Dietvanillacoke,

Wow, your ring looks so white!

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Is it me or what? I think that the Eightstar diamond with those very visible black arrows takes away from the whiteness and beauty of the diamond. Am I the only one who thinks that?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope. MoreMoreMore rejected a dozen world-class princess cuts because they had too much "darkness" (= "contrast brilliance" showing black under IdealScope).
9.gif

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2005 1
6.gif
6:29 PM
Author:Mara
I know PQ has her amazing white J...but is that a fluke or do most J owners with stones in platinum feel that it shows up pretty white? Cut helps?

For those who have them, how did you end up purchasing a J stone?

1.gif
I''m not color-sensitive but yeah, i do feel my Js face up plenty ''white''
5.gif
I definately think cut & proper grading helps, as i''ve seen some "J"s that looked v yellow... and yet i''ve seen well-cut fluorescent Ks that faced up nicely. My fiance agrees that we couldn''t imagine my e-ring being any prettier if it were a D. Also, no one''s ever commented that either of my rings look ''tinted''.

We ended up w a J because we were looking for an exceptionally well-cut princess in a certain a size range... it just so happened the only one that fit the bill in many months of searching happened to be a J. We saw it & knew it was the right stone.

Because i luv my e-ring J so much, i decided to go w a J RHR - why pay for it when i cant see the color? It''s really saved us alotta $$ to boot!
4.gif

For some reason, since the system upgrade, I can''t post pics on my computer at work (it freezes), so i''ll post the link to pix of my RB J RHR in platinum -
LINK

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Don''t make us work so hard to see these beauties Alexah!!!
2.gif
30.gif
30.gif

rhr2.jpg

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Valeria101,

Thanks for the answer.
1.gif

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not a fan of the intense arrows either. S''not my idea of a beautiful diamond.

I do think that there is definitely a spectrum within the J group. From what I''ve seen(not that much either) there are I-sh Js and K-ish J.

I do notice a difference between, for instance, a F-G and a J. It seems like the J is a bit dim and moody. Like the difference between entering a room with high watt bulbs and then looking into another room with candles and table lamps.

Does this make any sense?

I love the look of J-L, but I''m a yellow gold gal.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2005 10:42:36 AM
Author: lmurden
Is it me or what? I think that the Eightstar diamond with those very visible black arrows takes away from the whiteness and beauty of the diamond. Am I the only one who thinks that?
The arrows are rarely that prominent in real life. I just catch glimpses of my arrows (not an 8*) now and then and I love it when I see them!

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Ohh. When I was first educating myself I was really adamant about not looking for a diamond with H&A. I just wanted a well cut diamond.

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
I am very sensitive to color but I chose to purchase a J color diamond for my engagement ring and my pendant. My mother who is pretty much a diamond connoisseur was truly horrified until she saw how beautiful they are. Although, I have not converted her.
9.gif
I have J color diamond in my original enagement ring, which is an antique, and I love it. I was always drawn to the warmer stones but with the ideal stones, they are like chameleons. They have so much sparkle and fire that they do look very white most of the time. My diamonds face up very white, but under certain lighting like, it can appear warm, almost sandy in color. And I love this. To me, it looks romantic and perfect, especially if set in an antique style setting. And the price difference between a J and H or whiter is just astronomical. I''d rather buy use that money to buy more jewelry, bags, shoes, go on trips, whatever my heart desires.
31.gif

7-ering.jpg

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
You can see the tint of color in this shot. Jonathan said this stone is a "middle" J.

8-ering.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOVE that last ring...YUM! That stone looks pretty darn clear and white to me!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring
30.gif
and Great pavillion shot, Leila!!
16.gif

Golden Oak

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/11/2005 10:42:36 AM
Author: lmurden
The black arrows (in the picture) are a reflection of the black camera lens. This is from light entering the table facet and returning off key facets in the pavilion which creates a star of whatever light is entering the table, or in this case more of a lack of light e.g. black.

Being able to see the star is a good thing.

Regards,

Brian

diamond island

Rough_Rock

The black arrows, I dont think are reflections of the camera lens. You can see the black arrows with the plain naked eye, but in real life, most if not in all lighting conditions, those black arrows are the pavillions facets that return big flashes of light. Bang Bang scintillation. Most other diamonds, even ideal cut AGS000 return small scintillating flashes of light. I believe you can actually make out the arrows because the Eightstar is so well cut (who knows, I may just be sold on the idea). I prefer the larger flashes vs. the small tinny flashes. Just my preference.

Golden Oak

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/12/2005 1:10:43 PM
Author: diamond island

The black arrows, I dont think are reflections of the camera lens. You can see the black arrows with the plain naked eye, but in real life, most if not in all lighting conditions, those black arrows are the pavillions facets that return big flashes of light. Bang Bang scintillation. Most other diamonds, even ideal cut AGS000 return small scintillating flashes of light. I believe you can actually make out the arrows because the Eightstar is so well cut (who knows, I may just be sold on the idea). I prefer the larger flashes vs. the small tinny flashes. Just my preference.

Yes it is a reflection of the camera lens, I know, I took the picture.
28.gif

Regards,

Brian

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2005 5:5:42 PM
Author: Golden Oak

Sure I believe you
5.gif

Well, perhaps not everyone takes closeup photos, but anything else that gets that close to the diamond will get reflected too... black or not. It''s not hard to turn those arrows "on and off" - as long as they were built into the diamond to begin with
34.gif

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/12/2005 5
6.gif
5:42 PM
Author: Golden Oak
Date: 2/12/2005 1:10:43 PM

28.gif

Regards,

Brian

ROFLMFAO, hahhaha sorry, just found this exchange really funny!
25.gif

(joking) Brian, poor you! Make sure you buy a white camera next time, wear only white clothes, take pictures in a pure white lab!!! And that you "know" what you''re talking about, you''re only in the business afterall.
11.gif

diamond island

Rough_Rock
Brian, your a nice and smart guy and I have spoken to you before. But Il still have to disagree with you regarding the black arrows as refletion from the camera lens. When I look at my 2 ct eightstar, I see the black arrow with our without a camera. I see the black arrows better with my eye than a camera. I dont think the lens in my eyes are reflecting off the eightstar causing the black arrows. But maybe you know better, who knows, I may still be wrong. I know you took the pictures but winning the lottery does not mean that persone knows how to play the lottery any better than someone else.

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
My earrings are J, SI1 (total carat weight: 1.98 carats). Each one is very white and I honestly can''t see yellow from the side unless I place one of them next to my e-ring, which is an E. Been meaning to get pictures of them both; one day I''ll get round to it!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2005 6
6.gif
:50 PM

I see the black arrows better with my eye than a camera.
Anything that sits close to the diamond gets reflected within - it doesn''t have to be a camera, or a lens. Any object will do. Your head as well as anybody else''s looking into the stone up close.

The arrows are the region of the stone that act as a mirror.

When taking pictures using the macro mode the camera gets close to the stone - it just happens to be the object that reflects into the stone at that time. Obviously, most images of H&A diamonds online would have been taken with a black camera
28.gif

34.gif
Garry has put up a detailed explanation of this in one of the Ideal-Scope Newsletters.
Here''s the relevant bit (ediyed):

NL4.JPG

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In describing “head obstruction” like Ana points out it''s referring to the obstruction of the viewers head and body being cast on the stone while viewing, or the obstruction of light by a viewers head.
The pavilion mains will appear darker when you are viewing the diamond at a closer distance which equates to less light return. Because of this phenomenon I believe there is greater dispersion displayed, which comes in the form of broad coloration being returned to your eye. “Head Obstruction” reduces light return making the mains flash more color.
4.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The latest addition...Kyubi's ring...a 2.03c J SI1 ACA H&A from WF....
30.gif

2c platinum wf.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
And this beautiful charmer..in a pendant but it''s still a white metal!

0.733 ct J Si2 set in a half bezel in platinum, 18" chain

72 J SI WF ice.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh and I wanted to add that is it just me or do there seem to be more J and K purchases lately than seemingly ever before? We have always seen alot of I''s but it seems as though in the last few months, J''s have really come more to the forefront.

I wonder if part of that is the price increases that have been happening, these large jumps possibly making it less feasible for someone to keep the size they crave and a lower color. Also, I noticed that alot of the stones in this thread are of the ''larger'' variety--again possibly wanting to keep or get a bigger size and dropping the color to get it. Lastly, many of these seem to be of the SI variety, again, bang for the buck.

Just some random observations. I love that there are so many big J stones, it''s fun to see the pictures!

KBerly

Brilliant_Rock
mara, who belongs to that 2.03ct J S1 you just posted??? did i miss a thread? i LOVE that ring, just beautiful, i am a sucker for solitaires! and that surprise diamond is just right
30.gif

edit: i found it! that ring was done super quick, i was a little behind

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
30.gif

kyubi

Rough_Rock
So pretty...

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Here is the J in plat we are so proud of

TR_1%20finger.jpg

TR.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results