shape
carat
color
clarity

J Color Stones in Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rfath

Shiny_Rock
Sideagain.sized.jpg

Admittedly not a large stone, which I suspect would show body color more easily, but mine is a lower J color with medium fluorescence. I can't see body color from the sides in the light that I'm typically in, and when it's in the sunlight, it just glows white. I had it in a movado store and couldn't see the difference between my stone and their G in the store lighting. I LOVE the value for the money on this stone!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Man, you guys are SUSPICIOUS...all I wanted to do was see some pretty J stones in some white settings that's all!
41.gif

Though I will note that yes Patty those ES stones from WF are pretty tempting eh?
9.gif

Wow that 3c J looks superb. It honestly amazes me how white all these images look. Sometimes you could wonder if the photo doesn't accurately represent but then so many J owners note that their stones are very white.

I also think that 'white' is relative, and color sometimes may only come up as an issue if you are comparing apples to apples color aka a well cut D to a well cut J side by side, unset, etc etc. Otherwise, settings and natural lighting probably tend to mask color.

I definitely agree that the lower color grades make for a GREAT deal if your eyes are not very color sensitive.

More pictures!!

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mara, Maybe when and if the time were to ever come you could have a vendor send you one to check out...
35.gif

headlight

Ideal_Rock
The lighting REALLY does play a role, as you said, Mara. Sometimes, I think my stone looks very "white", and other times I look down and think, "Yikes, that is horrible!!!" and I''m quite mortified.
Also, I had been fairly "content" with it of late, until I was just at a luncheon last week with two people at my table who clearly had more colorless stones than I, so that made me start wishing....
But yes, by "sacrificing" on color, of course that "helped" in the effort to finally get the big rock that I wanted for so long. Obviously, I wasn''t happy with the smaller, D stone, and now aren''t completely satisfied with the rock of warmer color... SO, I guess I''ll NEVER be happy (or at least that is what DH must think!). I guess I''ll just say "try me" and get me the BIG rock WITH the fab color, clarity, cut combo and THEN let''s see if I will be finally satisfied!!!
All I can say is THANK GOODNESS I have PS where there are others I can bounce ideas off of because my "real world" friends would think I am totally NUTS!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
If you had my diamond and a G or an H, same size, loose, and cutlet up, I'd bet money I could tell you which one is mine. When I had the H and J ACA's on preview from WF, I knew which one was which cutlet up. Face up was a different story. I set both stones, face up, side by side in a pair of wg earring jackets to simulate how they would look after they were set. Both were beautiful with no percievable color difference. Of course we aren't talking D/E to J either.

And I think you are right, Mara, mounting in white metal does help with the visual appearance of the stone. I recently read a jeweler's website (and I shoulda book marked the page for posting here) that also said that yellow gold lends additive color to diamonds.
1.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sharon:

Yellow gold will also mask the color of a J, Body color will be more apparent against the contrast of a WG or Platinum setting..
35.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
PQ, I agree that face up, you will not see a difference between a J and a G. It''s from the side where I notice a tint of yellow in my "I."

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2005 2:25:52 PM
Author: Colored Gemstone Nut
Mara, Maybe when and if the time were to ever come you could have a vendor send you one to check out...
35.gif
That is an awesome idea Josh...if that time were to ever come!
9.gif

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
PQ-I also love your ring. If you look at the bottom of your thread when you first showed it off, I asked a few questions. When I ordered my ring, I had 2 choices.

#1 Go with the plain bezel so it would feel fluid on the hand.........that setting has to be mighty comfortable, but I''m so hard on my other plain bands that they are all scratched and dull. I was going to do just as they are saying, put 2 pave style eternity bands on either side. I love comfortable rings I can wear ALL the time and my wedding set is just that.

#2 Go with the setting I chose and loose a bit of the comfort factor. Pave is not he most comfortable to wear on a daily basis and being pregnant right now, my hands are itchy and I''m having a hard time with the ring although I''m still enamored by it every day. As for the 2 plain bands on either side..........I have slightly chunky short fingers and the ring is just over 7mm........when adding 2-2mm bands, my fingers swell and it''s uncomfortable. I''m down to wearing one but maybe after my pregnancy, I''ll feel comfortable wearing the 2 again.

I do have to say that WF did a superb job and the ring (even the pave on the side) does not catch on a thing. I''m just used to wearing a plain comfort fit band with my plain e-ring. I have lots of diamonds but I''m not the jewelry freak you''d think. I don''t like to "switch" out my jewelry and I wear plain diamonds in white gold and that''s it. I also have H-I ACA earrings and a H-I WF Expert Selection 3 stone pendant in white gold all stones in the .22-.25 range and they are as white as my F engagement ring. I have a 5-stone each .20 in the same range in platinum and I would never hesitate to buy even a K for my white gold/platinum. I won''t bore with all the pictures since they are not all J''s :)

I absolutely love that halo setting. I''m thinking of putting my orange spessartite garnet into that setting but I''m worried that the stone wouldn''t last long. I think all the J & K diamonds are beautiful.

Jaime
(the swelling preggo woman)

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I could live with seeing a tint from the side vievw -- it is when I look down on the stone as it sits on my finger that the tint bothers me! Of course, if you have a setting like the tension sets and others where the side view is virtually open, that would also be undesirable to see color, IMO. It is funny, because the way the basket sits against my stone set very low, I don''t even really see the tint (or have access to see it) from the side, so it is the top (face up) view that sort of affects me (like nails on a chalkboard....).

Golden Oak

Rough_Rock
EightStars in 18K white

We receintly did a 1CT K VS EightStar but I didn''t take a picture of it. Doh!

This is a 1.15 J SI2 in a ultra white 18K gold

Regards,

Brian Moore
Golden Oak Jewelers

bobmerge.JPG

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2005 2:42:47 PM
Author: Colored Gemstone Nut
Sharon:

Yellow gold will also mask the color of a J, Body color will be more apparent against the contrast of a WG or Platinum setting..
35.gif
That''s what I had always heard, Josh. And I was very hesitant to set a J in plat, but Lesley and Brian both assured me it would be fabulous and they were right. Then, recently I read on a jeweler''s website, one linked from a post on PS if I remember correctly, that the yellow metal actually imparts/adds color to colorless and near colorless diamonds. Once you get more body color, then the yellow metal actually helps to whiten and brighten a tinted stone. And, of course, the site mentioned quality of CUT as well. I thought that statement on the jeweler''s website kinda mirrored what I''ve see in real life. So maybe the thought pattern is changing regarding metals choice.

Marriah, I had wondered if the pave was comfortable. Sounds like it''s a feel that you have to get used to but not bothersome otherwise. You are so lucky to be able to wear your rings while pregnant. I had to take mine off the last few months of both pregnancies. Swollen fingers, ankles, feet, legs,......... UGH!!

My diamond has some tint to it when viewed thru the pavillion, but not much. Nothing that I''ve ever thought was yucky or gross.
Here''s a pic of the pavillion view of my ring compared to one of my F color ACA earrings. That''s pretty much the amount of difference I see in real life.
1.gif

FJPavillionView1abc.jpg

marqoid

Rough_Rock
I bought my fiance a 0.75ct J VS2 stone and am completely happy with it. It is an AGS000 and has a 1.5 HCA. It is set in a four prong platinum tiffany. Now, I wouldn''t buy a stone with color any better than J (or worse); it is so impercievable that I simply can''t justify the cost. Especially well there seems to be a disproportionate price jump from J to I. The story may have been different if it was poorly cut, but I also wouldn''t buy a stone unless it was equally well cut. Sorry, I don''t have pictures of it set.

PreCiouSJeWeL920

Rough_Rock
Ok, here is my 3 stone LM ring by itself. The center is 1.2ct E VS2 ACA. The sides are 1.67cttw blue sapphires sourced and cut by Richard Homer. The setting Leon Mege in platinum.

lemonMsaphring.jpg

PreCiouSJeWeL920

Rough_Rock
Sorry, don''t know why the last picture is so big and blurry. There are fine on my computer screen. I would not mind if somebody could resize it to make it more presentable.

Here is the first comparison pic. There are both super-super ideal(so we are comparing apples to apples) and compared under the same lighting, even on the same finger.

leonMcomparison.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Holy cr@p. That J just blew me away.
23.gif

PreCiouSJeWeL920

Rough_Rock
This is the second one that I took in a different angle of lighting. Both comp. pictures were taken under natural light.

I bet after seeing this You could tell which one gets more attention(sometime it is too much).
1.gif

leonMcomparison2.jpg

Cath

Shiny_Rock
Precious, there is no way that honker is a J. And with no fluor too. Positively GORGEOUS!!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Precious, both your rings are just breathtaking!!!!!
3.gif
30.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh Precious I want that 3c J !!!! Send it over!
30.gif

Headlight...I wonder if maybe the face down view of color isn''t partially mental? From what I have heard/read a well-cut J may show some color from the sides but I didn''t think face down you''d see alot?? So it surprised me when you noted that?

vtigger coined the term mind-clean for clarity..I wonder if there isn''t a similar term for mind-colorless...or something...hehhe. aka the form it takes on in your mind sticks with you and tends to possibly ''color'' the outlook?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2005 8:27:24 PM
Author: Mara
Oh my gosh Precious I want that 3c J !!!! Send it over!
30.gif

Headlight...I wonder if maybe the face down view of color isn''t partially mental? From what I have heard/read a well-cut J may show some color from the sides but I didn''t think face down you''d see alot?? So it surprised me when you noted that?

vtigger coined the term mind-clean for clarity..I wonder if there isn''t a similar term for mind-colorless...or something...hehhe. aka the form it takes on in your mind sticks with you and tends to possibly ''color'' the outlook?
Mara, please tell me it is mental otherwise I''m sometimes so freaked at how "tinted" it looks to me!!! (Yes, that''s how MENTAL I actually am -- that I''d rather have some hang-up in my head than a "negative" with my DIAMOND -- LOL!!!)

As I''ve stated, my stone is NOT ideal cut, so maybe that is why I think it looks tinted.

Seriously, I wish I could show my ring to all of you IN PERSON so I could get honest, accurate answers because, honestly, no one around here knows anything.

I''m currently having the shank re-done because it is just too wide for my short, stubby fingers. So, I''ll post new pics as soon as I get it back (next week).

joeq

Rough_Rock
Hi Mara
1.gif

I visit pricescope again after a year hiatus, and guess what, Mara''s still here
2.gif
I still have the photos of my wife''s 2.04 J SI2 in platinum here:

Old thread

Surprisingly, the stone''s (replacement) value seems to have increased by 20% since last year.

PS. I put my wedding photo album online here.

PreCiouSJeWeL920

Rough_Rock
Thanks everybody for your kind words. It did take my a long time for me to enjoy my J ring thoroughly.

Headlight, please don''t be too hard on yourself. It is a mental thing for the color also. When I first got my ring I was analyzing it to death too. Everytime I see a hint of yellow, I blamed it of being a J. I tried to upgrade a H. Johnathan was very kind to send me 3.34ct H to me for me to compare them in my own surrounding. I could not tell the color difference facing up for the three days I had with me. I went everywhere and tried all kind of light I could think of. The clarity of the H was not as good as my J even there are both SI1''s. I could not bring myself get rid of one problem but get the other for just seeing the side of it better and spending more money. But in the back of my mind I had always thought if I could get a D or E, it might make a difference. As you know, the price on a 3ct+ D or E is astronomical. I could not justify to spend that much money on a ring on my little finger for just seeing less color on the side of the stone. So I found this solution. I had my three stone ring made with the cream of top stones and with remarkable craftmanship. Guess what? Everytime now I see a hint of yellow on my J, I see the same with my E!!! That is just how the diamonds behave under the light and reflect the surroundings. I am so happy that I finally figured that out and my DH is happy that I saved a lot of money. So please enjoy your beautifut ring like I am doing so.

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Joeq,

Your ring is absolutely incredible!
I would have never thought that was a J in a million years.
36.gif

Also your wedding pictures are gorgeous!
2.gif

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Quote >

That''s the most sensible comment I''ve heard in a long time. People dol forget that diamonds do pick up colour from their surroundings - regardless of whether they start out a D or a J.
21.gif

headlight

Ideal_Rock
You are all SO nice. I guess I am too hard on myself. I have to remind myself that with my track record, this won''t be the last diamond I own, so there is certainly a more colorless stone in my future down the road. I have full trade-in for what I paid on this stone toward another, so at least I have that "equity" and don''t have to start from scratch. That was the original plan -- to "get into" this size category, with a good upgrade policy, and then keep to the same size on an upgrade in time but get into overall better specs. I am just impatient, and being on PS is both addictive and torture!!! I know I should stop obsessing and just be THRILLED to own such a large diamond. Yeah, its not up to PS cut standards, etc., nor is it the clarity or color I would prefer, but I know in my heart of hearts that no one else realizes it. (Well, that is what I think most of the time; but sometimes I think people might say amongst themselves that all I went for was size and the rest is crap.) Honestly, if I never found PS, I''d be thrilled about the stone because I wouldn''t know all this important diamond info -- I''d just think I got a ROCK that sparkles, like what more could a girl ask for???
All I can say is that all the J, etc. stones I''m seeing here sure look "GAWGUS"!
JOEQ -- Beautiful wedding photos, beautiful couple!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful Joe!!

Headlight...I actually agree with seeing various flashes of color in the stones...they happen no matter what color your diamond is. I think that when it comes down to something like a J , you might not necessarily see FLASHES of yellow but rather it''s a tinge on the stone itself..if that makes sense.

I have an H stone and it''s white as can be, sometimes I think it looks like a D on my finger! My husband has an E and I don''t see any color difference at all between my E and H. But obviously it''s there or else there would not be color grade differences.

So much of it IS the eye and how sensitive it is, but definitely keep in mind that the stone picks up colors from everywhere, aka around the house, in the car, your shirt color etc.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
bump.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Here''s my J with med fluor

jwlk.JPG

dietvanillacoke

Rough_Rock
i love my J with med. blue flourecense. the reason we went with J is because it''s GIA certified and it had our two requirements: my fiance wanted as close to an ideal cut as possible (i guess this thing has all the right numbers, or whatever) and i just wanted it as large as possible (as my fingers are a bit meaty around the ring-part... i have NO knuckle but meaty fingers). he matched my sidestones as H-I and it''s set in white gold, and the only time i''ve EVER seen any hint of yellow is 1) under a certain lamp in my bedroom and 2) compared next to my CZ earrings.

i just have to say that in jewelry stores or anywhere with that amazing lighting, it seriously looks amazing. not just sparkle.. GLOWS... seriously. those "a diamond is forever" commercials come to mind... everything else in the scene blacks out and all you see is the white flashing from the ring.

here are some pictures in different lightings and different angles. (please don''t mind my paw of a hand... and in these pics it''s a size 7, but it''s now sized down to a 6). oh, and it''s J VS2 GIA.

IMGP1887-vi.jpg

IMGP1888-vi.jpg

IMGP2205-vi.jpg

IMGP2211-vi.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results