shape
carat
color
clarity

J Color Stones in Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Todd that thing is blindingly white. Very nice!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Update with a few more pictures, here is CacadeJim''s ring, a 1.38 J VS from WF in platinum...

cascadejimring J VS 138.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
also AmantdeChat's ring, a 1.19 J VVS in platinum....

amantechat J 119 J VVS.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and my own new fabulous 1.60 J SI2 ES from WF!
30.gif

anyone else with a J stone in white metal that has not already been posted?

mara collage J.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
any newbies with new J stones to post?!

i saw this link from mrs salvo and had to bask in all the J beauty once again...i want precious''s mega 3c honker!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
no kidding mara, that 3 carat is Gorgeous
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

i''m seriously considering going down to J if I can find one I like. this thread has inspired me
2.gif

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! What a great thread. I''m convinced. I think I''ll buy a bigger EightStar in a J as soon as I sell my F!

Your rings are all so beautiful.

Thanks
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh post pictures once it''s done Lawmax!!
30.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
*bump* for new J members...aka Jellybean and others!

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Mara!
35.gif

I don''t have pics yet of my new 0.72ct J/SI1 from WF since I picked it up on my way to work today. As soon as I get some I will post them!

Thanks for remembering me!
9.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Mara,

I have a J stone in a white gold head, but the rest of the ring is yellow gold. I don''t know if that would count or not.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
One of the professional appraisers posted here or in a DT thread that one of the most frequent mis-grades he sees is supposed J stones that are really L or M. Just something to be aware of. His post is in a thread about an M colored diamond but I can''t find it without a lot of sifting through search results.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2005 12:59:15 PM
Author: AdaBeta27
One of the professional appraisers posted here or in a DT thread that one of the most frequent mis-grades he sees is supposed J stones that are really L or M. Just something to be aware of.&
Well, judging from the MANY, lovely J stones here that face up fairly WHITE, I'd say it's not a systemic concern.
28.gif

I certainly wouldn't let a few bad apples scare me away from considering a properly graded J stone.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ada....that'd probably be true of most maul purchases, but on Pricescope I highly doubt there are many people who own J's who have purchased either online or offline with research that are truly owning L or M's...especially since most people on here would take their purchase to a secondary independent appraiser to check it out.

So in the real world out there....quite possibly if they do not do their homework first someone could take home the wrong thing. However, the idea of this particular thread is to show how great a J or even a K that is well-cut and properly graded can look in platinum or white gold settings, and I think it has succeeded wildly!
2.gif

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Glad you cleared that up, gal. ;-D But I''d bet that "maul" purchases far outnumber PS & DT. I also know of many towns that lack convenient access to a highly skilled independent appraiser and thus most people there are not sending stones out for appraisals. If an independent appraiser bothers to mention he is seeing misgraded Js that are really L/M, then the misgrading is probably even more widespread. Thus I thought the issue worth mentioning. Comprehend?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/7/2005 1:43:26 PM
Author: AdaBeta27
Glad you cleared that up, gal. ;-D But I'd bet that 'maul' purchases far outnumber PS & DT. I also know of many towns that lack convenient access to a highly skilled independent appraiser and thus most people there are not sending stones out for appraisals. If an independent appraiser bothers to mention he is seeing misgraded Js that are really L/M, then the misgrading is probably even more widespread. Thus I thought the issue worth mentioning. Comprehend?
Oh, I'd agree that overall, maul purchases do far outnumber PS and other forums........and that being so, perhaps the best place to warn folks about J stones would be standing outside the local mall....where most of those "misgraded Js" are likely purchased. (Incidentally, given the labs being used, it's not just J stones that are misgraded in that environment, by the way.)

Considering that most of the participants here aren't "maul" purchasers, the sage advice would seemingly miss it's intended target market here.
28.gif

I tend to feel that an offhand comment by an independent appraiser saying "I'm seeing misgraded J stones that are really L/M" is really far too vague to be of much use for my liking. I honestly think such statements perpetuate the "FUD" syndrome and contribute unnecessarily to the mistrust of the industry.

There's too much information missing in such a vague comment. Does he notice it more with certain labs? Does he notice it more in offline vs. online purchases? Does he notice it more in larger goods vs. smaller goods? Is he talking about fancy stones more than RB? Hard to know.....maybe his appraisal business only sees IGI or EGL European stones coming through the door, right? After all, as you astutely point out, maul purchases "far outnumber" other venues, and mauls *overwhelmingly* carry EGL/IGI stones and tend not to carry more than a handful of GIA stones and almost no AGS stones. So it's strongly likely that the majority of what he's appraising is maul stones and not the stricter quality AGS/GIA stones. Who knows?

This is really the problem with such broad statements. People end up reading them and they come away with "J stones are often misgraded L/M stones", apply such admonishings too broadly and it NEEDLESSLY scares a whole bunch of folks away from stones that would be great choices for them. Hopefully, threads like this one showing all the great J stones will help to defray this effect.

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s my new ring. Sorry it''s not the best picture. The eternity band has F-G stones and you can see the slight difference in this picture. It doesn''t bother me at all but some people might not like it.

100_1144_y.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
adding Trevors amazing J to this thread . You can find out details

here

Ring%20on%20prickly%20pear%20bloom[1].JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
YUM how did I miss Trevor's ring?? PB&J...I can't see a diff in the color at all...just sparkle.
2.gif

Bump for any new J's!!
36.gif

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2005 2:26:18 PM
Author: headlight
The lighting REALLY does play a role, as you said, Mara. Sometimes, I think my stone looks very ''white'', and other times I look down and think, ''Yikes, that is horrible!!!'' and I''m quite mortified.
Also, I had been fairly ''content'' with it of late, until I was just at a luncheon last week with two people at my table who clearly had more colorless stones than I, so that made me start wishing....
But yes, by ''sacrificing'' on color, of course that ''helped'' in the effort to finally get the big rock that I wanted for so long. Obviously, I wasn''t happy with the smaller, D stone, and now aren''t completely satisfied with the rock of warmer color... SO, I guess I''ll NEVER be happy (or at least that is what DH must think!). I guess I''ll just say ''try me'' and get me the BIG rock WITH the fab color, clarity, cut combo and THEN let''s see if I will be finally satisfied!!!
All I can say is THANK GOODNESS I have PS where there are others I can bounce ideas off of because my ''real world'' friends would think I am totally NUTS!
No matter how large and beautiful your stone is, there will always be someone with a bigger, brighter stone. It is the same with houses, cars, etc.

With the exception of people like those on Pricescope and some jewelers, few will examine your stone as closely as you will. Your stone looks very beautifl from the photos and I doubt that the other women were comparing the color of your stone with theirs.

I have a 2.95 pear shape stone that was my original engagement ring. I have had it many years and always thought it was beautiful until my husband decided I should have an upgrade for an Anniversary present. Then I started looking around and reading the Pricescope forums and I realized that my stone did not have much life and is probably not a great cut. I always thought it was a really great stone until I learned how to judge. I am going to make it into pendant because I want to keep it.

I now have a 4.10 I color round stone with an ideal cut and it looks very white in most circumstances and not that white in artificial light. We live in Manhattan and have gone to operas, ballets, formal events, etc. where my stone is the size of a side stone for some rings. I wanted the biggest, most beautiful ring I could get for the money and I did not want to tie up so much money in a ring that I would be afraid to wear it and have to keep it in the vault and pay some exhorbitant insurance on it.

My husband and children are the best jewels. The ring is just a very pretty accessory to a happy life. It is not the biggest or best stone I have ever seen but I love wearing it because my husband wanted me to have it. I grew up in a family of limited means but had very rich, showy relatives with great jewelry and I never in my wildest dreams expected to have a ring like this.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
My 1.56, J, SI2 in 14K WG pendant
1.gif

jsi2.7.jpg

LuvsPricescope

Rough_Rock
Gosh I wish I knew how to take a great picture! FI and I were intitally looking for 1.5 carats, D color, VVS-VS clarity. I had read the threads here on great lower color & clarity stones so I definitely had an open mind as long as the cut was beautifull. I told this to all of the jewlers we had met with. Oropaz in Atlanta, GA really shocked me when they sent me an email saying they had a 2.51 carat J, SI2 they wanted me to see. Never in my life did I even think I''d have 2 carats no less 2.51! I was hoping to maybe one day upgrate to a 1.8! So went to check it out but still worried it would be yellowy with visible inclusions. My jaw hit the floor when I saw the ring. It was so stunning, absolutely white and NO visible inclusions...even under a loupe. Even after seeing the GIA report I still couldn''t locate the inclusions as they''re feathers. I can only see them if i scrutinize through the pavillion. They let me take the ring outside in daylight as well as view it all over the building in multiple different lightings. White and flawless everywhere! Had FI inspect the ring and he was delighted. Needless to say we couldn''t be happier with this J, SI2! Great ones may be hard to find, but they are certainly worth the effort!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratualtions, it sounds amazing!!! I wish we could see it!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok LV where are the pictures of this fabulous find? none of that ''i wish i could take good pictures''...take SOMETHING and post it!! we have to see this 2.50 J SI2 marvel, especially me since that is what i am planning on sticking with for future upgrades!
9.gif

congrats! now, pictures!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes just take something and if you don''t know how to post it you could email them to belle. I''m sure she would be more than happy to post them for you. Please, we really want to see this ring!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
kcwade''s new 1.19c Expert Selection AGS0 J SI2. 60.4 depth; 54 table; 34.4 crown and 40.7 pavilion. EX EX 6.93mm diameter average.

kcwadejsi2.jpg

LuvsPricescope

Rough_Rock
Playing with my camera now. Just can''t get a good close-up to save my life! I''ll post one of the crappy pics if need be, but I really want to capture the pretty! J S12 are the BEST!!
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Put your camera on macro mode and take a pic with sunlight if possible. Good luck!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
2.gif
okay we are still waiting for those pix, Luvs!!! surely you got ONE good one?!?!

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/25/2005 4:29:00 PM
Author: Mara
kcwade''s new 1.19c Expert Selection AGS0 J SI2. 60.4 depth; 54 table; 34.4 crown and 40.7 pavilion. EX EX 6.93mm diameter average.
That diamond is so crisp!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results