shape
carat
color
clarity

J Color Stones in Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kcwade33

Rough_Rock
I actually have some good news. I was at the minor league Frisco Roughrider game here in Texas and a lady came over to look at the new purchase on my girl''s finger. She kept complimenting back and forth and showed her ring. I asked what she had. It was an ideal cut 1 carat F VS2. I mean to tell you our J SI2 blew that ring out of the water in sparkle, color, etc. I''m not tooting my own horn by any means
2.gif
but I was so happy. It amazed me how our ring actually faced up just as white if not better. It made me wonder if she had her facts straight but she swore she knew. She even brought her husband over to look at it. I was grinning from ear to ear
9.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Over the coming years we are likely to see a diamond''s light performance become more critical to value and desireability than its exact body color. Color will have importance, but there certainly will be J color diamonds that look way better than some F color ones......The possibilities of a wider set of selectrion criteria is growing as performance enters the scene.

The reason I warn people about diamonds graded "J" is that the huge mass sellers tend to use I, I/J or J as their bottom available color. Many of these diamonds graded J are not quite up to the exact grade and would be graded K or L in many laboratory situations. People often are veryhappy with K, L or M color diamonds. They can look vey nice. What I don''t want is for people to blindly believe a color grade simply because it is described by an employee with a letter of the alphabet and comes with a little document. That does not assure accuracy.

kcwade33

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/27/2005 3:25:14 PM
Author: oldminer
Over the coming years we are likely to see a diamond''s light performance become more critical to value and desireability than its exact body color. Color will have importance, but there certainly will be J color diamonds that look way better than some F color ones......The possibilities of a wider set of selectrion criteria is growing as performance enters the scene.

The reason I warn people about diamonds graded ''J'' is that the huge mass sellers tend to use I, I/J or J as their bottom available color. Many of these diamonds graded J are not quite up to the exact grade and would be graded K or L in many laboratory situations. People often are veryhappy with K, L or M color diamonds. They can look vey nice. What I don''t want is for people to blindly believe a color grade simply because it is described by an employee with a letter of the alphabet and comes with a little document. That does not assure accuracy.
In bold, pardon me if this comes across ignorant, but why hasn''t this already been a critical importance for value and most importantly desireability? In my short time learning this stuff, this was very important in my purchase and I can''t see how this aspect is in "the coming years". Am I missing something here or is light performance a critical factor over color right now?

sevens one

Ideal_Rock

Madrock''s ring!

"Here are the specs:

10.28 oval brilliant
(the stone came from a 19 carat rough from Russia)
17.16 x 12.59 x 6.96 mm
VS1 -- J color

madrocks1.jpg
100_0964.jpg

sapphic

Rough_Rock
Before PS I was considering a G-H 1.5 SI1 rock, now I think I am going to go down in color to bump up the carats up to a 2.0+ as at the end of the day, I know more about diamonds than she will ever distinguish (of course i will show her the arrows).

I am still a bit hesitant about seeing color but I will judge it with my own eyes when I get the rock shipped to an appraiser.

I am curious on the opinion is on having flourescence with a J colored stone. Does it make it look whiter but cloudier? Is it better to avoid it altogether as I have been tending to do during my search?

Thx!

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Madrock, that is one heckofaboulder!!! A stunning one at that!
30.gif
30.gif

madrock

Rough_Rock
I have to add that I was not even considering J stones -- originally I started by looking at 5-6 carat Ds, Es and Fs -- but when I saw this stone, I was so WOWED by it I had to have it. It may have something to do with the way it''s set (with the halo) but it looks very white to me.

10.28ct1.jpg

madrock

Rough_Rock
one more

10.28ct2.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2005 3:41:04 PM
Author: kcwade33

In bold, pardon me if this comes across ignorant, but why hasn't this already been a critical importance for value and most importantly desireability?
I think it has, only the lab reports including definite cut grades, the proliferation of branded shapes and availability of price information over database listings of loose diamonds are new. As far as I can tell...

Perhaps the new recognition of cut quality also boosts its value, but I would not venture guess to what extent.

Diamond cut is talked about even in relation to antique jewelry, well before the brillinat cut was invented... nothing new, in principle.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
BUMP for new rings?!??!!

DiaDiva...don''t you have a J pear in platinum?!
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes DiaDiva posted it in the ering folder.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Here is a beautiful, large J color Emerald cut diamond set in platinum. I think it looks great in the platinum.

I actually had my eye on this beauty because of the low estimate. Unfortunately [for me anyway!] it wound up going for about twice the estimate!

Here is the info from the Sotheby''s auction:

IMPORTANT JEWELS SALE N08011
AUCTION DATE SESSION 2 | 06 Oct 04 2:00 PM.
LOCATION New York
LOT 251

PROPERTY FROM THE ESTATE OF LILIAN HERTZBERG, SOLD TO BENEFIT THE WEIZMANN INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE
u - DIAMOND RING, HARRY WINSTON

80,000—100,000 USD
Lot Sold. Hammer Price with Buyer''s Premium: 187,200 USD

MEASUREMENTS
N/A
DESCRIPTION
The emerald-cut diamond weighing 13.79 carats, flanked by 2 baguette diamonds, mounted in platinum, size 5 ½, signed winston. With box stamped Harry winston.

CATALOGUE NOTE
Accompanied by GIA report no. 13534392 stating that the diamond is J color, VVS 2 clarity; together with original working diagram stating that the stone may be potentially flawless.

Harry Winston emerald cut.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is lovely! Looks good to me!
30.gif

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
Hi, here''s a link to my new J-colored pendant from Whiteflash

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-wf-pendant-came.31206/

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s the pic...

Sxn''s .47c ACA J pendant, yum!

sxn J ACA pendant.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dia Diva''s 3.2c J VVS pear...so pretty.
5.gif

dia diva pear J VVS.jpg

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

OldBride

Rough_Rock
I will be receiving my 2.04 ct. j SI 1 from Whiteflash next week. It will be set in their champagne U prong platinum setting. I can''t wait!!!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/18/2005 1:43:10 PM
Author: OldBride
I will be receiving my 2.04 ct. j SI 1 from Whiteflash next week. It will be set in their champagne U prong platinum setting. I can''t wait!!!
Yummy!!! That champagne setting is one of my favorites!!! Can''t wait to see it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiaDiva.... you might want to chime in. Still wanting that color upgrade ?
31.gif

Here's something I don't find every day. It is hard to show diamond color grades in pictures and hardly any pictures online showing substantially different grades one next to the other in conditions that actually show the difference rather than hide it. And hiding is the easy way - allot easier than showing those subtle shades.

The stones are half carat each F, G, H and one J ! Can you tell which is that ?

I am being naughty here, it would be allot harder for me to tell anything seeing this ring. The magnifie pictures show that much more detail. If those were 2-3 carats the difference might be as stryking (for me, at least) in person. nad, of course, it is not 'stryking' at all in these pictures - just enough to show without second guessing and allot more so from the side (below) than top down (above).

These two pictures really exagerate it - others of the same ring do not show anything ! The stones appear perfectly matched by color is just slightly more realistic viewing conditions (non-white backgound, say).

Of course, it is the same magnification effect that shows too much for the ring's good. I hope the comments here are not taken as criticism of the ring - it is not the case. If this is too much wishful thinking from my part, I would be happy to take them down (just ask the administrators of this forum to do so), and even more happy to take them down and replace them with an example of the same grades lined up under similar photographic setup that seems to show the illusive glimpse of color so well.

Thank you to the author for the unintended but rewealing display and congratulations for the accomplished photographs !

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
the one to the farthest left val??

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Okay I see the ring but it is hard to tell on the computer....I was really excited thought this pic might help with the dreaded final decision. yikes!

lmurden

Ideal_Rock
The first one!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
J - G - F - G - H?
33.gif

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
J is the one on the left? I really can''t tell the difference between the other four.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m also betting the one on the left is the J.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/18/2005 5:21:20 PM
Author: diamondlil
J - G - F - G - H?
33.gif

This is my vote.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2005 2:26:33 PM
Author: Mara
the one to the farthest left val??
I hope so... otherwise I'd be seeing things !
31.gif

No idea about the other grades - the stones just look identically colorless to me in that picture.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m going GA GA over your beautiful new white stone Lynn!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results